Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Originally Posted by dino88
If your store is having the 5 for $20 sale or received any of the clearance stock (.99 blu-rays or dvds), then it's corporate. The majority of Blockbusters are corporate (~80%). Of the 4 stores near me that are all corporate, not a single one got the clearance blus (just dvds). The only reason I heard for certain stores receiving the .99 bds was that they sold the most in their area during the 5 for $20 deal. It could be that...or it could be totally random.
I was told in my area, it was the store that moves the most Previously Viewed titles.. They may have meant the 5 for $20.. but from the tone, I think they meant overall... Cause the locatoin near me that actually had the $0.99 Blu's moves the most titles.. and is evny of the other stores... (I heard this when I went to another store inquiring about the Blu's they did not have)...
Old 06-01-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I think we're done, but yeah, the guy at my local BBV said that they are shipping back the unsold stock to get ready for the sale on 7/1
That could mean they will re-distribute to the stores that sold the best this time.. so we can only hope there is a re-stock with titles we didn't see this time..
Old 06-02-11, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, here's the link to my latest Field Trip video. I hit 4 Blockbusters, and pull in a good haul. This sale has been a hell of a good time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T_TMFRm7QY
Old 06-02-11, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by KrazyJason
Hey guys, here's the link to my latest Field Trip video. I hit 4 Blockbusters, and pull in a good haul. This sale has been a hell of a good time!

Nice haul. If you ever want to get rid of Sleepy Hollow, let me know. My wife loves that movie. Depp + Walken + Ricci = Awesome.
Old 06-03-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ended up taking back The Informant and exchanging it for The Road.

My store never got .99 Blus. Just DVDs. I was tempted by In Treatment Season 2, but couldn't find all the discs.
Old 06-03-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I ended up taking back The Informant and exchanging it for The Road.

My store never got .99 Blus. Just DVDs. I was tempted by In Treatment Season 2, but couldn't find all the discs.
The Informant was an OK movie. The Road honestly I couldn't stand. I turned it off after a half hour or so of whispering that I couldn't understand.

I was bummed when the only stores that got the 99cent blus were clear across town. Did manage to add about 20 to my collection with this sale. I am now the proud owner of some of the crappiest comedies to be released in the last couple years.
Old 06-03-11, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone noticed new stock since the sale ends Monday? I might checkout a couple this weekend.
Old 06-03-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
The Informant was an OK movie. The Road honestly I couldn't stand. I turned it off after a half hour or so of whispering that I couldn't understand.

I was bummed when the only stores that got the 99cent blus were clear across town. Did manage to add about 20 to my collection with this sale. I am now the proud owner of some of the crappiest comedies to be released in the last couple years.
Another one to avoid is 44 inch Chest. I was bored silly with that one (watched it on dvd last year) and avoided that one when I saw it in BB. Might exchange Natural Born Killers for Franklyn over the weekend.
Old 06-03-11, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I like how the movies slowly got better as the video went on
Old 06-03-11, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just that much better since I live near that area, and routinely visit those exact same stores. Heck, I work about a quarter mile down the road from that Anderson location. I couldn't even count the number of times I have been to those stores. I picked mine up at the Anderson store, and I know the Easley store had them as well but I didn't want to drive out there. I went to the Anderson store on Memorial Day afternoon, then again the next day at lunch. When I went back on my second trip, they had got in a brand new box of titles and I was able to get a few copies of Salt and one of The Wolfman. I went back the day after that just to see if they were still there and on sale, and they were, and they still hand hundreds of titles. It was like no one knew they were having the sale, it was so weird. I thought for sure all of them would be gone in no time, but nope, not even close.

From the Anderson store, I'd say I bought, over the course of two days, around 100 titles (for me, my fiance, and my cousin in Nashville).

I told a couple friends about the sale and they went on Tuesday, and they went in and asked just some guy working there and he told them the only ones they had were on that table up front, and didn't mention the boxes and boxes full. They had to text me to ask me about it and I told them to ignore that moron and just crack the boxes open, and they did just that.

Awesome video though neighbor, good job. Now just don't start stealing all of the good titles at my Anderson store!

Last edited by Brent L; 06-03-11 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-04-11, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Brent L
This is just that much better since I live near that area, and routinely visit those exact same stores. Heck, I work about a quarter mile down the road from that Anderson location. I couldn't even count the number of times I have been to those stores. I picked mine up at the Anderson store, and I know the Easley store had them as well but I didn't want to drive out there. I went to the Anderson store on Memorial Day afternoon, then again the next day at lunch. When I went back on my second trip, they had got in a brand new box of titles and I was able to get a few copies of Salt and one of The Wolfman. I went back the day after that just to see if they were still there and on sale, and they were, and they still hand hundreds of titles. It was like no one knew they were having the sale, it was so weird. I thought for sure all of them would be gone in no time, but nope, not even close.

From the Anderson store, I'd say I bought, over the course of two days, around 100 titles (for me, my fiance, and my cousin in Nashville).

I told a couple friends about the sale and they went on Tuesday, and they went in and asked just some guy working there and he told them the only ones they had were on that table up front, and didn't mention the boxes and boxes full. They had to text me to ask me about it and I told them to ignore that moron and just crack the boxes open, and they did just that.

Awesome video though neighbor, good job. Now just don't start stealing all of the good titles at my Anderson store!
Thank you for the kind words! Don't worry, I left plenty behind, I don't have the money to go whole hog on it. Wish I did though, I probably would have walked out of there with a hundred titles. It is interesting that Easley was wiped out when I got there, but Anderson was virtually untouched. We made a return trip Wednesday and got lucky. They ended the .99 sale right after we checked out @ 7:00 I believe it was, and we STILL scored good titles.

Btw, did you/are you going to post your haul? Just curious to see what all you scored.
Old 06-04-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I might as well post my final haul from the sales 5/$20 and the clearance stuff, since this thread is just about dead. Some of this stuff I already posted when the sale first started.

5/$20
Spoiler:

Beerfest
Beetlejuice
Blood Diamond
Bolt
Boondock Saints II
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Brooklyn's Finest
Brothers Bloom
Chocolate
District 13 Ultimatum
Eyes Wide Shut
Friday the 13th (Original)
Friday the 13th (Killer Cut)
Gandhi
GI Joe
Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Moon
No Country for Old Men
Pirate Radio
Public Enemies
Quarantine
The Reaping
Repo Men
The Ruins
Shutter Island
Starship Troopers
Surrogates
Taken
Valkyrie
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Wyatt Earp
Yes Man
Zodiac

$2.99
Spoiler:

A Christmas Carol
A Prophet
Animal Kingdom
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
Brokeback Mountain
Chloe
Clerks II
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Donnie Brasco
The Hurt Locker
Jarhead
Lakeview Terrace
Let the Right One In
The Perfect Storm
Piranha
Planet 51
Saw II
Saw V
Saw VI
Seven Years in Tibet
Sleepy Hollow
Southland Tales
Trick R Treat
Up in the Air
Wicker Man

$0.99
Spoiler:

100 Feet
44 Inch Chest
After.Life
Armored
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Bruno
Capitalism: A Love Story
The Chosen One
Click
The Collector
The Crazies
Dragon Wars
Eastern Promises
End of Days
The Expendables
The Experiment
Frost/Nixon
Gamer
The Ghost Writer
Good
Gothika
Halloween II (Rob Zombie)
Haunted Mansion
House of Wax
Incendiary
The Informers
The Invisible
JCVD
Killers
Knucklehead
Layer Cake
Legion
The Men Who Stare at Goats
Michael Clayton
Night Train
Ninja
Pandorum
Perfect Stranger
Race to Witch Mountain
Red Cliff (Parts I & II)
Replacement Killers
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Rest Stop: Don't Look Back
The Road
Road Warrior
The Signal
Smokin' Aces 2
State of Play
The Stepfather
Stolen
The Stranger
Stuck
Sublime
Triage
The White Ribbon
Wolfman
Year One

Like I said in a previous post, I got 119 movies and it averaged out to about $2.07, even with the higher priced stuff. A good portion of the $0.99 stuff was blind buys, but I'm not too picky at a buck, and I'm sure I can get my money back out of them if I need to.
Old 06-04-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only issue I have is it is hard for me to pay for Blu-Ray cases when the Blu-Ray itself only cost $0.99.. but the collector in me is frustrated that BB puts them in DVD cases..
Old 06-04-11, 12:15 PM
Cool New Member

^ I feel the same way. I have been scouring the web looking for decent prices, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think that I'll wait until after the rumored July 4th sale and hope to find some extra titles to make buying in bulk worth it. I also need to buy a new shelf as I have exceeded the limits of my present one. Damn this sale and all of it's complications!
Old 06-04-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, buying 100+ blu-ray cases will have to factor into the average per title at some point.
Old 06-04-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In those quantities the cases should be around 25 or 30 cents tops. I just got 25 for around 40 cents cents so i don't mind another 40 on top of the $4 I spent.
Old 06-04-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If someone came you to and offered titles at $1.49 each prior to this sale, I think everyone of us would have been excited about the opportunity to buy as many movies that the store had available. To complain about the choice of buying a br case for $.49 or less....well ....
Old 06-04-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not complaining.. Just when paying $0.99 per movie.. It is hard to spend another $0.74 each for a case... but you are correct.. If they were $1.73 each... I still would have bought what I bought.. and yes.. I have only found them as cheap as $0.74 each shipped...
Old 06-04-11, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
Not complaining.. Just when paying $0.99 per movie.. It is hard to spend another $0.74 each for a case... but you are correct.. If they were $1.73 each... I still would have bought what I bought.. and yes.. I have only found them as cheap as $0.74 each shipped...
I bought my cases from here (much cheaper)

http://www.meritline.com/12mm-clear-...--p-38770.aspx

They fit the bill and very inexpensive too.
Old 06-04-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow that's a great price, I may buy me a bundle of those. Do you have any pictures of them that you have used that we could see?
Old 06-04-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
Wow that's a great price, I may buy me a bundle of those. Do you have any pictures of them that you have used that we could see?
Shipping is around $6.75. Does anyone know of any coupons or free shipping offers?
Old 06-04-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RonBoster
I bought my cases from here (much cheaper)

http://www.meritline.com/12mm-clear-...--p-38770.aspx

They fit the bill and very inexpensive too.
Wish I could say they were cheaper for me..

$2.75 10-pack
$6.48 Shipping
$9.23 Total = $0.92 ish each.
Old 06-04-11, 11:28 PM

Went to three stores today for a last pass-through & picked up some decent titles:

Lonesome Dove (had $12.99 sticker, but had employee check & it was $9.99)
Seven Pounds
The X Files: I Want To Believe
Things We Lost In The Fire
Transmorphers: Fall of Man
Gods & Generals
Mean Girls
Curse of the Golden Flower
Hart's War
Persepolis
Old 06-05-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
Wish I could say they were cheaper for me..

$2.75 10-pack
$6.48 Shipping
$9.23 Total = $0.92 ish each.
I ordered a 50 pack

Product Quantity Sub Total:
Blu-ray Storage Cases, 12mm Clear Blue Single Case for Blu-ray (BD-R, BD-RE) Media Discs Storage with Clip, Full Sleeve and Licensed BD-R Logo-50 Pack
SKU:153-368-050 Ships from U.S warehouse. Most customers receive within one week.
1 $12.75

Subtotal: $12.75
Shipping (Ground Service): $7.24
Tax: $0.00
Total: $19.99
Thank you for your purchase.

MERITLINE.COM
Old 06-05-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Got one last haul yesterday. Only found 10 BRs I wanted for this whole deal. I already owned the rest/didn't feel like it was worth upgrading or I wasn't interested. Both of my stores had all the "99 cent BRs" spotted for normal price that they didn't put out (they didn't have any of these titles for sale until it was mentioned here for 99 cents). That really pisses me off, looks like I'll never get on those deals when they happen again....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.