Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

List updated with 30 new titles.
Old 05-25-11, 03:03 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought 4 blu rays and 1 dvd (didn't find a 5th BR I wanted).

Friday the 13th 1980
Zombieland
Gamer
District 9

on dvd: Deathiagnosis

ALL 5 discs in like new condition. Already watched 2 of them. The covers were pretty decent except for Gamer. They put the stinking sticker directly on the paper cover :-(
Old 05-25-11, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the one Blockbuster that still seems to be opened in New England (in Seabrook NH) I picked up:
Yes Men
Scott Pilgrim
The Men Who Stare at Goats
Paranormal Activity
Old 05-25-11, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
In the one Blockbuster that still seems to be opened in New England (in Seabrook NH) I picked up:
Yes Men
Scott Pilgrim
The Men Who Stare at Goats
Paranormal Activity
Is the Blu-ray version of 1408 also a blockbuster exclusive like the DVD?
Old 05-25-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The one I saw had a standard cover without that obnoxious Blockbuster crap on the front. That's kept me from buying a couple of movies during this sale.

However, I did pick up the Blockbuster Exclusive DVDs of "Soul Men" and "Zack & Miri..." because they have exclusive bonus features that aren't available anywhere else.
Old 05-25-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have been able to stop myself from buying any "rental" copies of stuff, except Taken because i really wanted that one badly (And i didn't notice it at the time)
Old 05-25-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was not sure if I should pick up "The Reader" since it has the "BB exclusive" on the artwork.
Old 05-25-11, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Made a productive trip today to the Blockbuster closest to my house. Bought 5 but probably could have bought more.

Here's what I bought today(all of these aren't on the list on page 1 by dino88):

Paris (the 2009 French fillm with Juliette Binoche and Melaine Laurent)
Broken Embraces
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet St.
Gommorah--Criterion Collection Bluray (there were 2 copies there, I bought one)

Other titles I saw that aren't on the list

Salt: Deluxe unrated edition
Inception (there was a shitload of this there, at least 10 copies)
Toy Story 3
A Clockwork Orange
Roxanne
Triangle (not to be confused with Triage)

I thought I was done after last week when the pickings were slim but I think they put out new titles over the weekend. I might go on Friday to exchange one of the discs that I bought last week. To be quite honest, I was shocked to see both Broken Embraces and Gomorrah in the sale rack. Paris has been on the wantlist for a while and I forgot to purchase it when it was on sale on Amazon. I figure I saved a bunch on the 3 foreign films alone. Gomorrah is actually a blind buy but a Criterion bluray at $4 is worth it.
Old 05-25-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Made a productive trip today to the Blockbuster closest to my house. Bought 5 but probably could have bought more.

Here's what I bought today(all of these aren't on the list on page 1 by dino88):

Paris (the 2009 French fillm with Juliette Binoche and Melaine Laurent)
Broken Embraces
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet St.
Gommorah--Criterion Collection Bluray (there were 2 copies there, I bought one)

Toy Story 3
A Clockwork Orange
Roxanne

I thought I was done after last week when the pickings were slim but I think they put out new titles over the weekend. I might go on Friday to exchange one of the discs that I bought last week. To be quite honest, I was shocked to see both Broken Embraces and Gomorrah in the sale rack. Paris has been on the wantlist for a while and I forgot to purchase it when it was on sale on Amazon. I figure I saved a bunch on the 3 foreign films alone. Gomorrah is actually a blind buy but a Criterion bluray at $4 is worth it.
Inception? Hmm. The two stores I went to had it for 16.99. Might have to give them a look on my way home from work tomorrow. Maybe they recently marked it down?
Old 05-25-11, 07:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by conscience
Inception? Hmm. The two stores I went to had it for 16.99. Might have to give them a look on my way home from work tomorrow. Maybe they recently marked it down?
I think he's mistaken, they are all priced at $12.99 (the ones on the second list including salt etc)
Old 05-25-11, 07:26 PM

So in most instances, those stickered at $12.99 can be wrong?

A bunch were $12.99 and I decided not to buy since it didn't have a sticker for $9.99...guess I'll be going back tomorrow.
Old 05-25-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by poda521
So in most instances, those stickered at $12.99 can be wrong?

A bunch were $12.99 and I decided not to buy since it didn't have a sticker for $9.99...guess I'll be going back tomorrow.
Yes, on the box they were stickered at $12.99 but when I went to the checkout counter they all rang up as $9.99. At least that's what the receipt says.

The Blockbuster I was at had the 5 for $20 Bd in a rack/shelf and there was a yellow sign above that. So I'm going to assume that they marked those down to $9.99 from $12.99 but didn't bother changing the price (ie sticker on box).
Old 05-25-11, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nycdude
I was not sure if I should pick up "The Reader" since it has the "BB exclusive" on the artwork.
BlockBuster Exclusives usually just have extra content that you wouldn't otherwise find on a retail disc. It's the "RENTAL EXCLUSIVE" you have to look out for, they don't include any extras whatsoever. I think I only have one in my DVD collection, and that's "TAKEN" with Liam Nielsen -- for that particular movie I don't think I'd watch any bonus features anyway. I haven't bought any previously viewed Blu-ray discs yet, but I don't think I'd buy a rental copy of any.

ANYWAYS... I called my closest store (still an hour away) to ask about the 5 for $20 promotion and they told me there was no such thing going on and that they sell used movies at 2/$25 and 4/$25 -- when did this change? I've bought plenty of movies at 4/$20 from BB before. I think the associate I talked to doesn't have a clue what's going on. And when I asked to speak to a manager (assuming there's one on duty regularly, as this is a pretty big store) he hung up. Fortunately I'll be going out of town for work later this week so I'll have a chance to stop in and check it out for myself.

Last edited by mike07; 05-25-11 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 08:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

The vast majority of Blockbuster Exclusives, sometimes marked "rental exclusive" sometimes marked "Blockbuster exclusive", are really just rental exclusives, with no exclusive content. I think there are only about 25 titles with actual exclusive content, but multiple hundreds marked exclusive.
Old 05-25-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought I was done, but if the higher priced titles really did get dropped to $9.99, I may just make a return trip soon.
Old 05-25-11, 09:04 PM
Cool New Member

Toy Story 3
A Clockwork Orange
Roxanne

Anyone else confirm this? I cleared my store of $9.99 titles I wanted, but if they reduced prices, I may need to go back.
Old 05-25-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Toy Story 3
A Clockwork Orange
Roxanne
Those were not $9.99 and under at the 2 stores I have been to including my latest visit today. They were $12.99 and up.(sticker may be wrong)

I did pick up another 5 on the original thread bringing total to 20. jeez will go broke if this keeps up.
Surrogates, Twister, What happen in Vegas, The Wolf man and State of Play.
Old 05-25-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Toy Story 3
Yeah, Salt and Inception were $16.99 here yesterday... Toy Story 3 was $12.99.

If the $16.99 and $12.99 are eligible, I'm in trouble and my wallet is fucked...

FWIW... I've spotted A Clockwork Orange here tagged at $9.99.
Old 05-25-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
I went again today to see if I could find any more titles, there were a few I was mildly interested but I end up leaving them behind. As I was leaving the store, the old guy at the register said "no purchase today?" I replied "not now"
and he gave me the warmest smile I seen in a while. He had an expression of understanding yet sadness that nobody ever rents or buys from the store anymore. As i was driving back home I kept thinking about it over and over until I said fuck it, why I'm I doing its only fricking $20 dollars! and I do have them. Drove back to the store got 5 movies, 2 for me, 2 for the woman and 1 for my parents. The guy was happy and as he gave me my receipt asked me to fill out the online survey and said "If you are satisfied 5 is the highest" to which I said "It was a 5" The guy did help me and recommended me "Rescue Dawn"
That might be one of the nicest things I've ever seen posted on DVDTalk.

I need to go back and see if there are any titles that I want at my local store. I went twice already, hoping the next time I'm there I'll find a copy of The Wolfman.
Old 05-26-11, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nando820, I think that might be mandated by corporate. I got the same question and expression when I left a store in West Salem, Oregon, without spending money. Although, to be honest, I figured it was all just the disingenuousness of customer service. Like how they flash a fake smile after uttering the words, "have a nice day," which immediately fades into a grimace or a sarcastic eye-roll the second they turn from you.
Old 05-26-11, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I went to two Blockbusters and picked up:

Drag Me To Hell
Friday The 13th(2009)
Star Trek (2009)
Pineapple Express
Observe and Report
Burn After Reading
Bad Lieutenant: Port Of New Orleans
A Serious Man
Taken
Inglorious Basterdz

These 10 Blu rays for 40 bucks was too good to pass up. I was bummed out to find when I got home that Star Trek comes with a second disc of special features at retail stores but Blockbuster's copies don't carry it. Oh well.
Old 05-26-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Made my final set of 5 purchase last night at a Blockbuster I had never been to before. I bought:

- Road Warrior
- A History Of Violence (I know it's an iffy transfer, but for $4, I can live with it as I love the film and I doubt they'll re-release it)
- Halloween
- Get Smart's Bruce & Lloyd (I really enjoyed "Get Smart" and these two characters were fun. I kept passing and passing on it, but I ultimately decided that I would be mad at myself if I didn't get it from this sale)
- Armored

I think that brings my grand total to 40 for this sale. Yikes.
Old 05-26-11, 12:59 PM
Cool New Member

As some have stated, certain stores do seem to be lowering the prices of some of their BDs. I went in today just to check as I was driving by and they had re-priced one copy of The Social Network and one of The Town for $9.99, while other copies were still priced at $16.99. I grabbed those two and a few others to make five. At the register, they rang up as $16.99, but the employee did a manual price change to give me the discount. I guess the point of the story is that there is probably a lot of YMMV and to encourage people to keep checking back.
Old 05-26-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just came from a store today (4th different store in as many days) and the manager said they were getting in new stock for the sale. He also commented that some different titles would be re-priced lower, so they could be included in the sale too. He did not know which specific titles would be re-priced.
Old 05-26-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RonBoster
I just came from a store today (4th different store in as many days) and the manager said they were getting in new stock for the sale. He also commented that some different titles would be re-priced lower, so they could be included in the sale too. He did not know which specific titles would be re-priced.
I was just coming to ask if there were any hints of restocking or price cuts coming. Guess we'll know this weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.