Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Do the blu-rays come with just the movie itself, or with the other discs (i.e. when its a 2 or 3-disc edition), such as the dvd disc/special features disc?
Old 05-23-11, 06:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by poda521
Do the blu-rays come with just the movie itself, or with the other discs (i.e. when its a 2 or 3-disc edition), such as the dvd disc/special features disc?
99% of the time only the 1st disc. if it has a 2nd disc of special features it MAY come with that (ala "Watchmen", "Indy 4" , curious case of BB etc) but if it has a dvd or digital copies those are a big no
Old 05-23-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been to BB twice and couldn't pull the trigger.

How are the condition of the discs? Do they look brand new or are they pretty scratched up. I know it's a YMMV, I just wanted a consensus. It just seems with tax and a new BR case you are pushing 5 bucks a piece on these, which is not bad, but it's not a steal either. Some of these were actually 5 bucks new at Walmart and Amazon this BF. I guess if I could find Ponyo, I'd pull the trigger on a set of 5, but so far it's no go.
Old 05-23-11, 06:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks

How are the condition of the discs? Do they look brand new or are they pretty scratched up. I know it's a YMMV, I just wanted a consensus. It just seems with tax and a new BR case you are pushing 5 bucks a piece on these, which is not bad, but it's not a steal either. Some of these were actually 5 bucks new at Walmart and Amazon this BF. I guess if I could find Ponyo, I'd pull the trigger on a set of 5, but so far it's no go.
some were $5 , but most were not (besides, where else can you get Scott pilgrim the greatest movie of last year for $5) and for your consensus. I haven't EVER run across a mistreated blu in blockbuster and I've bought about 100 from them
Old 05-23-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

All 5 of mine were in great condition. A wipe to remove some dust and they're pretty much mint.
Old 05-23-11, 07:24 PM

99% of the 50 or so blu-rays I bought from blockbuster last week have been flawless. The other 1% you can bring back and exchange within 30 days as long as you keep your receipt.
Old 05-23-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How are the condition of the discs?
Unlike DVD... You really have to try to scratch a BD. I've picked up 15 from this sale and 5 or so from FYE's used section since I went Blu... Fingerprints that wipe off + a new case and you pretty much have a new BD.

BB does use rubber cement though on a lot of the cover art... So, you might have a little spot there.

Nothing to report... I'll check back next weekend and cross my fingers for new stock.
Old 05-23-11, 11:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone to 5 stores 55 out of 60 blus that were brought are mint and the other 5 have to take back. They were badly scratched but these came from a trashy store. 2 stores I went today had nothing maybe 30 blus left and they didnt know if new stock was coming. 1st store was letting me get from stock but no rare titles left and went empty handed. 2nd store the store manager was so dumb she told me I dont know how price rent titles and they had all the rare titles.
Old 05-24-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It just seems with tax and a new BR case you are pushing 5 bucks a piece on these, which is not bad, but it's not a steal either. Some of these were actually 5 bucks new at Walmart and Amazon this BF.
Just how freaking cheap do these have to be before you don't feel like you're buying military toilet seats?!? I remember being stoked when they first started selling PV BDs for 2/$25. Now it's less than a third as much - though I'm really hating that I bought Scott Pilgrim and Eyes Wide Shut for $23 together a month ago, though I've only seen the latter once in six stores I've hit - and there are people who still think it's too exorbitant a price?!? Gah!!!!

As for some being on sale ONCE, SIX MONTHS AGO; how much are they selling for now? Yeah, Mad Men was $10 and some others were $5, but what are they NOW?! Not that one time a half-year ago but NOW???

Here's what I picked up Saturday with the current Amazon prices:

* JFK - $17.49
* Unthinkable - $20.99
* Mean Girls - $15.99
* Vicky Christina Barcelona - $15.99
* Twister - $12.99
* Jet Li's Fearless - $15.99
* Pandorum - $11.49
* Friday the 13th (original) - $16.99
* Hot Rod - $49.99(!!!! OOP = $$$)
* Beetlejuice - $17.99

Total: $195.90 ($145.89 w/o Hot Rod)

I don't seem to recall ANY of those titles being subject to last year's Black Friday sales at any price, much less the $5 price you say some were.

Sure, I don't get the satisfaction of opening a fresh sealed Blu package and knowing it won't have fingerprints on them from being handled by those disgusting Republicans or Democrats or atheists or Jesus freaks or left-handed anarchists or right-handed conformists or people with kids or those with cats or dogs or goldfish with IBS (pick whatever freaks you out), but with the $100+ saved, I can get over those vagaries and the stupid rental cases. Heck, I could buy another 25 Blu-rays with the savings from the first nine!
Old 05-24-11, 08:51 AM

^^+1^^
Old 05-24-11, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Just how freaking cheap do these have to be before you don't feel like you're buying military toilet seats?!? I remember being stoked when they first started selling PV BDs for 2/$25. Now it's less than a third as much - though I'm really hating that I bought Scott Pilgrim and Eyes Wide Shut for $23 together a month ago, though I've only seen the latter once in six stores I've hit - and there are people who still think it's too exorbitant a price?!? Gah!!!!

As for some being on sale ONCE, SIX MONTHS AGO; how much are they selling for now? Yeah, Mad Men was $10 and some others were $5, but what are they NOW?! Not that one time a half-year ago but NOW???

Here's what I picked up Saturday with the current Amazon prices:

* JFK - $17.49
* Unthinkable - $20.99
* Mean Girls - $15.99
* Vicky Christina Barcelona - $15.99
* Twister - $12.99
* Jet Li's Fearless - $15.99
* Pandorum - $11.49
* Friday the 13th (original) - $16.99
* Hot Rod - $49.99(!!!! OOP = $$$)
* Beetlejuice - $17.99

Total: $195.90 ($145.89 w/o Hot Rod)

I don't seem to recall ANY of those titles being subject to last year's Black Friday sales at any price, much less the $5 price you say some were.

Sure, I don't get the satisfaction of opening a fresh sealed Blu package and knowing it won't have fingerprints on them from being handled by those disgusting Republicans or Democrats or atheists or Jesus freaks or left-handed anarchists or right-handed conformists or people with kids or those with cats or dogs or goldfish with IBS (pick whatever freaks you out), but with the $100+ saved, I can get over those vagaries and the stupid rental cases. Heck, I could buy another 25 Blu-rays with the savings from the first nine!
I guess for most this really is a great deal. I am always scouring eBay, pawn shops and the such for bargains and I pick up quite a few discs (some BR's) that are cheaper than this. Like you said, they used to be 2/25 and now they are 5/20 -- who knows what they will be in the future. There are a handful that I think are really great bargains and that's why I asked the question. I'm not disparaging your choices, just giving you reasons for my own. I think you'll agree that, being a bargain hunter, the prices most people pay for stuff is not what the price is NOW.

I guess too I really hate Blockbuster and it is hard to buy there at all.

(BTW,Beetlejuice is part of the DVD2Blu for 4.99)

But thanks for all the replies, I think I may bite the bullet on a set. I really do want Moon and I doubt I'll find that cheaper anywhere else. I just wish I could find Ponyo, but we'll see.
Old 05-24-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beetlejuice is $5 plus tax and shipping (unless you spend a certain amount) at DVD2Blu vs. $4 plus tax at Blockbuster. And the deal is what exactly?

I'm all about the deals - why else would I be here? - but as I frequently have to remind the kiddies at CAG there's a difference between being frugal and being ridiculous. I've seen CAGs sniff at paying $5 for a game that may take 50+ hours to play through, sneering that they'll wait for it to drop to $2 or some such nonsense. I ask them how much they spent on lunch and how long did it take to consume it? $5 for 50 hours - or even 5 hours - of fun is too much, but $5 for 15 minutes of food (if that) is A-OK. Madness!
Old 05-24-11, 02:15 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Beetlejuice is $5 plus tax and shipping (unless you spend a certain amount) at DVD2Blu vs. $4 plus tax at Blockbuster. And the deal is what exactly?

I'm all about the deals - why else would I be here? - but as I frequently have to remind the kiddies at CAG there's a difference between being frugal and being ridiculous. I've seen CAGs sniff at paying $5 for a game that may take 50+ hours to play through, sneering that they'll wait for it to drop to $2 or some such nonsense. I ask them how much they spent on lunch and how long did it take to consume it? $5 for 50 hours - or even 5 hours - of fun is too much, but $5 for 15 minutes of food (if that) is A-OK. Madness!
Agreed! Thanks for putting it all into perspective.

$4 plus tax is awesome for just about any Blu-Ray.

I think value is in the "eye of the beholder". I have no issues paying $15 or even $20 for a new release on day one if it's something I want. Waiting and waiting for the price drop can be hopeless, especially if you consider that renting it for the same period of time would cost you much more.
Old 05-24-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by John Galt
So has anyone seen where a store has replenished their stock? I went to a couple yesterday but there was nothing new out.
My store told me they will not be replenishing BD stock, only DVD's. Dunno if it's true or not, but that is what they said.
Old 05-24-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I always lol at the people if the price of a Blu Ray will ever reach $X. As long as X>0, I can guarantee that eventually, it will reach that amount. It's all a matter of how long you want to wait.
Old 05-24-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Just got back from one of the Raleigh stores. The manager informed me that Thursday would be a big shipment day for all the local stores. He said they were scheduled to receive ~900 disks. He mentioned they would be working most of the day populating the store.
Old 05-24-11, 03:13 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

^Which one?
Old 05-24-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Leesville Rd, but he said they would all be getting a large shipment. This store has a pretty large selection of bleus
Old 05-24-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The new shipments will most likely be all dvds and may be just the disc. I've seen the disc-only dvds at different store closings and they never sell well, so they're probably just getting those leftovers.
Old 05-24-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone here previously mentioned going to their store, and it was being closed with no notice, and no option to purchase titles. The manager mentioned along that line in addition to the leftovers from other sales.
Old 05-24-11, 04:27 PM

This deal is far from the "deal of the year". You quoted Amazon prices to prove your savings, but that is BEYOND RIDICULOUS given this forum. I really don't care what your criteria for a good deal is or that you may scoff at mine. I simply made mention that some of the BR's are not a GREAT deal -- they are just OK --- and may turn up again at a comparable price to getting a used one. If you can't see the deal at DVD2Blu, then maybe someone else can point it out to you.
Old 05-24-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm wondering if a lot of these titles "may turn up" free inside specially marked packages of CAP'N CRUNCH cereal? Maybe I should wait? I mean, I don't want a deal that's "just o.k.," I want a "GREAT" deal!
Old 05-24-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up 20 titles at the Dover, NH, store this past weekend. This store had a "going out of business sale" about 4-5 weeks ago, so I was surprised to see open and fully stocked...AGAIN. While I was there I overheard a patron and a clerk discussing a Blockbuster gift card that he had. The clerk said that his gift card was sold by Blockbuster and that Blockbuster went bankrupt and sold the name to another company. She said that they were not accepting old Blockbuster gift cards and that he should enter into the class action law suit against Blockbuster to try and get his money back. I thought that was an interesting conversation.
Old 05-24-11, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I'm wondering if a lot of these titles "may turn up" free inside specially marked packages of CAP'N CRUNCH cereal? Maybe I should wait? I mean, I don't want a deal that's "just o.k.," I want a "GRRRRRRREAT" deal!
In that case, you should wait until they're included in boxes of Frosted Flakes.
Old 05-24-11, 11:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I went again today to see if I could find any more titles, there were a few I was mildly interested but I end up leaving them behind. As I was leaving the store, the old guy at the register said "no purchase today?" I replied "not now"
and he gave me the warmest smile I seen in a while. He had an expression of understanding yet sadness that nobody ever rents or buys from the store anymore. As i was driving back home I kept thinking about it over and over until I said fuck it, why I'm I doing its only fricking $20 dollars! and I do have them. Drove back to the store got 5 movies, 2 for me, 2 for the woman and 1 for my parents. The guy was happy and as he gave me my receipt asked me to fill out the online survey and said "If you are satisfied 5 is the highest" to which I said "It was a 5" The guy did help me and recommended me "Rescue Dawn"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.