Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Nope, I stopped by on Friday and now they said they are not sure when they are getting more in. Might be after Memorial Day now.
Old 05-22-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate myself for how many of these I have purchased. I think I'm at 7 5-packs total. Two of the 35 were DVDs, and two were duplicates for other people. 31 total, plus the 9 I bought from GoHastings, plus a few other cheapies I've bought recently. Trevor, I'm giving you a run for your money.

Old 05-22-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm envious of all of you. Here's my tale of woe:

I live in a small town in Mississippi. At one point (maybe 10 years ago), pretty much every town of any size in my part of the state had a Blockbuster. Over the years, they've closed, leaving the one in my town the only one in a fifty-mile radius.

So, I went in Tuesday to see if the sale was going on, and the manager knew nothing about it. When I explained that it really didn't kick in good until Friday, she said that maybe she'd get something later in the day.

I went back by on Friday, and was greeted by a sign on the door that said the store was closing on May 20th (which was Friday's date, by the way), and we're awfully sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, and it's been great being in town for the last.....

So I went inside, and all the DVDs were being taken out of the rental cases and put back into the original DVD cases. When I asked if any were for sale, the manager said that none were for sale; all were being packed up to be sent to other stores. When I asked how long she had known the store was closing, she told me that she'd received word on Thursday, the 19th. They were given ONE DAY's notice to close the store!

So, it looks like I'm gonna miss out on the great bargains you guys are finding, AND my town is now officially devoid of DVD rental stores. Only five Redboxes and two Blockbuster machines remain.
Old 05-22-11, 12:36 PM

Anybody see any titles added to the sale today? Know that price changes were suppose to happen today and was curious if any new titles were added.
Old 05-22-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I'm envious of all of you. Here's my tale of woe:

I live in a small town in Mississippi. At one point (maybe 10 years ago), pretty much every town of any size in my part of the state had a Blockbuster. Over the years, they've closed, leaving the one in my town the only one in a fifty-mile radius.

So, I went in Tuesday to see if the sale was going on, and the manager knew nothing about it. When I explained that it really didn't kick in good until Friday, she said that maybe she'd get something later in the day.

I went back by on Friday, and was greeted by a sign on the door that said the store was closing on May 20th (which was Friday's date, by the way), and we're awfully sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, and it's been great being in town for the last.....

So I went inside, and all the DVDs were being taken out of the rental cases and put back into the original DVD cases. When I asked if any were for sale, the manager said that none were for sale; all were being packed up to be sent to other stores. When I asked how long she had known the store was closing, she told me that she'd received word on Thursday, the 19th. They were given ONE DAY's notice to close the store!

So, it looks like I'm gonna miss out on the great bargains you guys are finding, AND my town is now officially devoid of DVD rental stores. Only five Redboxes and two Blockbuster machines remain.
If it will make you feel any better, I only have store within easy driving distance. I happened to be nearby Friday evening so popped in to see what might be there. It's such a small location, there were no BDs for sale. Only a small display of $5.99 previously viewed DVDs with a buy 2, get 1 free promo running. I had only visited the store on one other occasion and don't see myself returning for any reason.
Old 05-22-11, 12:55 PM

Same here, the other 5 Blockbusters that were near me have been closed for awhile now so I only have 1 store to check out for this sale. lol
Old 05-22-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hit another Blockbuster last night and I think it was a nice conclusion to the sale for me as I got the last 5 titles I actually wanted. Red Cliff Part 1, Youth in Revolt, The Road Warrior (aka Mad Max 2), Jerry Maguire, and Revolutionary Road (decided to give it a 2nd chance).

Since Thursday, I have gone to 3 different Blockbusters, one of them twice, and attempted to go to another yesterday, but apparently it had been shut down about 3 weeks ago. 18 movies for a grand total of $78.07 (split a set one set of 5 w/a friend)...just an unbelievable sale.

The only titles I didn't see at a single Blockbuster were the Marvel ones (Hulks and Wolverine) and the rarer ones (Hot Rod and Zodiac).

Last edited by BambooLounge; 05-22-11 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-22-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to a Blockbuster yesterday and looked at them but hated the cases and the fact that the covers weren't the real ones. After getting home realized I could probably just order the cases online and worry about the covers later.

Decided to check out one closer to home today and then realized that the covers were actually the real ones, so I'm doubly a moron. Ended up buying five. Might go back for another five, but disappointed that I passed on Tropic Thunder at the one I went to yesterday (its 40 minutes away).

Great sale and thanks for the thread.
Old 05-22-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was hoping to take advantage of this deal, but I went to two Blockbusters near me and in both cases it was a matter of I either already had any of titles I would have been interested in, or I didn't care for what they did have.
Old 05-22-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The once mighty blockbuster. Who would have ever thought blockbuster would be a thing of the past.
Old 05-22-11, 07:38 PM

There are still many stores left here in San Antonio that I haven't hit up but I've decided to stop. I found Zodiac which was just dusty, didn't even seem like it had ever been rented. I figure 60 is enough, I'm going to cap myself at that. Two of the three stores I hit up yesterday didn't have anything of interest anymore or just repeats of what I had already bought, I figure it's time to quit. Thanks to the OP and everyone else who listed movies that were 9.99 (many here were still marked 12.99 so I had them price check).
Old 05-22-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Thanks again for keeping up with the list in the OP. Just a minor suggestion, when you update the list, do you think you could put the new titles in bold, to make it easier for people who have been following this thread, so quickly glance at it to see what the additions are?

Again, just a minor suggestion and regardless of if you do it or not, thanks a lot for the list as it is.
Done...Updated with around 30 new titles and removed Enemy of the State.
Old 05-23-11, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was wondering. All the titles listed will work on this promotion even if that store still has them tagged at a price higher than $9.99? I am seeing a large number of those titles priced at $12.99.
Old 05-23-11, 03:45 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by gcribbs
I was wondering. All the titles listed will work on this promotion even if that store still has them tagged at a price higher than $9.99? I am seeing a large number of those titles priced at $12.99.
yes they should ring up as 9.99 and part of the sale
Old 05-23-11, 05:35 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Steam
Decided to check out one closer to home today and then realized that the covers were actually the real ones, so I'm doubly a moron.
Don't feel bad -- I thought the same thing at first. I assumed the movie art was actually printed onto those blue sheet, but it was just stuck on there with rubber cement. The greasy marks it left on the back of the artwork didn't make me happy -- especially on the Sony titles, which have artwork printed on both sides. But for $4 (or $5 in my case ) I'll live with it.
Old 05-23-11, 07:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by gcribbs
Price tags are often wrong. I pretty much ignore them everywhere. If you want something and have an inkling that it is on sale, scan it at a register.
Old 05-23-11, 09:59 AM

I've got some to add to the list:

- Annapolis
- Doomsday
- Flight Of The Phoenix
- Gridiron Gang
- License To Wed
Old 05-23-11, 10:16 AM
Banned

Is this sale available online? As I said in a earlier post, I have no local store and the closest store is at least an hour to get to.
Old 05-23-11, 10:20 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by supermike07
Is this sale available online? As I said in a earlier post, I have no local store and the closest store is at least an hour to get to.
It is not...
Old 05-23-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found one unusual title I couldn't resist trying: Pirates II: Staghetti's Revenge (the R-rated version of the XXX film). I finally broke down and bought 5 titles. The Wolfman, Green Zone, Ponyo, and Ghandi were my other titles. I almost got Princess & the Frog, but it was only the 1-disc version, so I talked myself out of it...
Old 05-23-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I found one unusual title I couldn't resist trying: Pirates II: Staghetti's Revenge (the R-rated version of the XXX film).
I seen that one at mine but I had the original on DVD and that would have been a downgrade for me.
Old 05-23-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Have the Blockbuster R Rated edits of UR films gotten any better in the last 10 years? I think the last time I rented one (fast lane to malibu, maybe?), they cut to the next scene as soon as any kissing started.
Old 05-23-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Picked up: Whiteout, The Time Travelers Wife, Shes outs of my League, The Girl who Played with Fire, and The Runaways. I wouldve went nuts, but a lot of titles I wanted (like LOTR) were $13.
Old 05-23-11, 02:13 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by John Galt
Have the Blockbuster R Rated edits of UR films gotten any better in the last 10 years? I think the last time I rented one (fast lane to malibu, maybe?), they cut to the next scene as soon as any kissing started.
ummm, they don't have edits of unrated films anymore. they just carry it as unrated ... they stopped doing that like 9 or 10 years ago
Old 05-23-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

hit another store today and found a bunch of others I had yet to see. Walked away with these 10 titles...

Hot Rod (x2)
X-Files - I want to believe
Open Season 2
The Tale of Despereaux
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Eyes Wide Shut
Hancock
Memoirs of a Geisha
Curse of the Golden Flower

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.