Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

For the Long Island dvdtalkers, go checkout the Blockbuster on Deer Park Avenue in North Babylon. They've started their closing pricing. They have two tables of cardboard boxes of rental dvds and blus in their paper slipcases. Most of them are like new. It's 5 for $7.50. There were a ton of Criterions mixed in. Used blus on the wall are still 12.99.

I picked up these Criterions (DVD):
Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
Le Samourai
Hoop Dreams
My Life as a Dog
The Third Man
The Vanishing

On Blu:
A History of Violence
Gattaca
Warrior
Four Brothers
Eastern Promises

DVD:
Vibes
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Double Indemnity

Not bad for $24.39
Old 02-19-12, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hillsborough NJ store is closing in one week. They dropped the prices on previously viewed blu-rays to $1.99 each. DVDs are the same. There is a large collection of dvds and (some blus) sold in sleeve only (same price as reported earlier in the thread) for those that are interested.

I made a large purchase today and they actually rang up at slightly different prices, resulting in an average cost of $1.75 each before tax.

I hope that someone is able to find something they want there.

Coop
Old 02-20-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

stopped by one today there wasn't crap there. the same old titles.
Old 02-20-12, 02:45 PM

doesn anyone know of any michigan closing? i know of one in the grand blanc area. it believe they have started the closing deals, havent been able to make it that way in a few weeks. just curious.
Old 02-21-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hethunder
doesn anyone know of any michigan closing? i know of one in the grand blanc area. it believe they have started the closing deals, havent been able to make it that way in a few weeks. just curious.
The one in Muskegon is closing on the 26th. I'm going there Wednesday to see what's left. I'm hoping the Blu-rays are marked down to $1.99.
Old 02-22-12, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

just repeating this for those that wonder if their store is closing...

keep in mind it is not complete as not all closing stores are on the list. Calling each store near you and asking works as well.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
This was posted over at the Blu-Ray.com forums. It's a list of the Blockbuster Closing stores and the month when they are going to close down completely. The list is on Post #22.

http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/foru...t=11700&page=3

You can find your local store number by going to their site and using the Store Locator.

Looks like both stores that are near me are closing. Yikes.
also check craigslist as some stores are advertising on there that they are closing at what their prices are.
Old 02-22-12, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Went to my local Blockbuster a few days ago.

New DVD's/BDs are now discounted 30%

Used DVDs are $6.99 or less. Used BDs are $9.99 or less.

I picked up 5 more of the DVDs in the sleeves for $7.50. That runs to about $1.50/disc with no artwork, which I can live with.

The Used product is still a little too expensive considering some of it can be bought new for those prices.
Old 02-22-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duganrm
just repeating this for those that wonder if their store is closing...

keep in mind it is not complete as not all closing stores are on the list. Calling each store near you and asking works as well.

also check craigslist as some stores are advertising on there that they are closing at what their prices are.
Stop being so logical Another way that is not foolproof, but I noticed all the stores that are closing you can see online that they do not carry any of the newer releases. Any store that has been that way and I called were sure enough closing. It's how I actually found out that a store last year by me was closing down. They were giving me the excuse one week that their shipment was just late with a new release and sure enough go there 2 days later and the signs were up saying they were going to be closing.
Old 02-22-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

None of the 8 closest BB's to me are closing, but there is one distant one that is. Not sure if it's worth the 30 minute drive or not, but it might be...
Old 02-22-12, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
None of the 8 closest BB's to me are closing, but there is one distant one that is. Not sure if it's worth the 30 minute drive or not, but it might be...
I called sussex this week and they said they weren't closing til March 18th. This is a little odd since that blockbuster closing link lists this store as closing in February. Unless I read it wrong. Thanks for the update for the 8 local stores, KB.
Old 02-22-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just found out my BB is closing April 15. Also found out that price drops are scheduled for Mondays or Wednesdays, but the managers and employees have no idea which day or how much.

New BDs are 20-30% off. Rental BDs are currently $6.99, $7.99 or $9.99... down from $7.99, $9.99 and $11.99 last week

Naturally, all the titles I'm interested in are still in the $9.99 range.

$9.99 is still a bit more than I'm willing to pay for used BDs, so I'm going to gamble (that I won't miss out on anything I want) and hold off until they come down a bit more. Maybe next week they'll hit the sweet spot.
Old 02-22-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$4.99 advertised here this week...

How they actually ring up = 67% off whatever price they scan at. Mystery solved at my store. I guess. ¿

Picked up today...

The Sixth Sense - $3.30
Micmacs - $2.64
A Prophet - $2.64

Sixth Sense rang up at $9.99, the other two at $7.99. Apply 67% off for real price. Of course, the prices on the cases don't match the scan prices, so...

Totally confusing...
Old 02-22-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

One of the locals said they were $9.99 which was 30% off $14.99.. I appreciated the other local .. where they just had them at $3.99 each..
Old 02-22-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Reindeer
I called sussex this week and they said they weren't closing til March 18th. This is a little odd since that blockbuster closing link lists this store as closing in February. Unless I read it wrong. Thanks for the update for the 8 local stores, KB.
They may have been given an extension. One near me was supposed to close in march but now they close in april.

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
$4.99 advertised here this week...

How they actually ring up = 67% off whatever price they scan at. Mystery solved at my store. I guess. ¿
sounds like you got lucky with an employee. I asked an employee and they are supposed to scan different barcodes depending on what the title rang up as. Sounds like your guy was just lazy and scanned 1 for everything. I had that happen with one purchase as well. If I could guarantee he would have done it again, I would have grabbed most the titles labeled at $6.99 at the store that week.

Originally Posted by Jon2
Just found out my BB is closing April 15. Also found out that price drops are scheduled for Mondays or Wednesdays, but the managers and employees have no idea which day or how much.

New BDs are 20-30% off. Rental BDs are currently $6.99, $7.99 or $9.99... down from $7.99, $9.99 and $11.99 last week

Naturally, all the titles I'm interested in are still in the $9.99 range.

$9.99 is still a bit more than I'm willing to pay for used BDs, so I'm going to gamble (that I won't miss out on anything I want) and hold off until they come down a bit more. Maybe next week they'll hit the sweet spot.
From what I have seen at my stores, the used prices drop mondays. I can't say I have noticed any Wed price drops.

I was at a store today that is still in the $10 range. They have a few titles I would like to get but not till the $5 range (so will probably be gone). I agree on not wanting to pay $9.99 for any used BD. Most titles will hit $10 within a couple years and I have lots to watch already. You also don't have a warranty with any of the purchases at the closing stores, so if there is any issue, you are out what you paid. I wouldn't care at $2 but at $10, it would bug me.

My hope right now is that the stores closing sunday will drop to $.99 on Friday or Saturday. There are only a couple titles I would get that I didn't get at $1.99 though. (although I may lose control and buy almost every title I could....)
Old 02-22-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by duganrm
sounds like you got lucky with an employee. I asked an employee and they are supposed to scan different barcodes depending on what the title rang up as. Sounds like your guy was just lazy and scanned 1 for everything. I had that happen with one purchase as well. If I could guarantee he would have done it again, I would have grabbed most the titles labeled at $6.99 at the store that week.
I suppose so... Happened the last time that I posted in this thread with a different employee though. Odd. Maybe I give off a movie dork aroma...

But yeah, $2.64 was a price point where I would have grabbed an armful, had I known what in the hell the prices actually were at checkout. Maybe next week.

Old 02-23-12, 03:51 PM

Went back to Porter's Neck, NC store closing and picked up the following (which are all blind buys):

blu-rays @ $1.99/ea
100 Feet
Grace
The Last Exorcism
Jonah Hex
Pandorum
Chloe

new DVD 70% off $9.99
The Ladykillers (original with Alec Guiness and Peter Sellers) $3

used DVD (rang up $1.60)
Gomorrah (BBuster Exclusive, NOT the Criterion)
Old 02-24-12, 01:41 AM

Went back to my local Blockbuster (reportedly not closing till the end of March) to look at more of the 5/$7.50 stacks. I still haven't looked through all of them, but I found about half a dozen Criterion DVDs to go with the Criterion Blu-rays I already got:

White Dog
Naked Prey
Brazil (Final Cut disc)
General Idi Amin Dada
The Magician
Death of a Cyclist

I left behind a few single discs out of multi-disc sets (like one disc of Louis Malle's documentaries set). Also picked up copies of Double Indemnity, Delicatessen, and Lilies of the Field, as well as Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 3 and a few other random Blu-rays. I'll probably make one more trip just to finish looking through the stacks.
Old 02-24-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

My local blockbuster isn't closing and they STILL haven't changed the prices on the previewed movies they had set in December. Nearly 3 months later and many previewed titles are still $16.99...which is more than Best Buy is charging for some of them new with extra discs, etc. Geesh, no wonder the place is going out of business. When discs are used, they charge nearly the new price, but then when they put them on sale, they practically give them away!
Old 02-24-12, 03:52 PM

From seven available Blockbusters a year ago I'm now down to one. (There are some stragglers out in the burbs but the drives are time and gas wasters.) So for me any deals in the system are pretty much irrelevant. Re. DVD by mail, Netflix wipes the floor with BB.
Old 02-24-12, 04:28 PM

Just made my final trip to the local Blockbuster. (I assume it will be my final trip... I'm done going through the stacks of 5/$7.50 discs, and their newer stuff will probably be long gone before it reaches anything like a decent discount.) Managed to score quite a few more Criterion DVDs:

The Browning Version
Metropolitan
The Beales of Grey Gardens
Alphaville
Fanny & Alexander (Theatrical)
White Dog (second copy I found)
Man Bites Dog
Symbiopsychotaxiplasm - Take One
Six Moral Tales by Eric Rohmer - Disc One (The Bakery Girl of Monceau)
The Documentaries of Louis Malle: God's Country and Pursuit of Happiness (2 discs)
The Battle of Algiers - Disc Three only
Au Revoir, Les Enfants

Also found a couple of random things that tickled me: George Romero's Knightriders and How to Beat the High Cost of Living with Jessica Lange/Susan Saint James/Jane Curtin, two movies I loved as a kid and are probably going to disappoint me greatly when I revisit them.
Old 02-24-12, 06:25 PM

Does anybody know of any NYC locations? Queens area? Anybody have any luck finding some good selections at the 1.99 price point?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-12, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I haven't checked out the Novato, CA location but the Managers there told me the 26th was the last day.

Petaluma, CA is closed down. Drove past it last night on the way to hang out with some friends and it's empty.
Old 02-28-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got real interesting here today...

Anything with a blacked out barcode rings $4.99. Then there are some still priced at $6.99, $12.99, etc. But all PV BD rang up 74% off. So... $1.30 for blacked out barcodes, $1.82 @ $6.99, etc. YMMV.

I was rushed for time but I snagged 8 titles for $11.58 out the door... Need to stop one more time this week and I'm done.
Old 02-28-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Anything with a blacked out barcode rings $4.99. Then there are some still priced at $6.99, $12.99, etc. But all PV BD rang up 74% off. So... $1.30 for blacked out barcodes, $1.82 @ $6.99, etc. YMMV.
When this 74% off discount occurred, how many days/weeks are (were) left until this store closes?

I'm still waiting for awesome deals like this in my area. Last I called they were still at $4.99 at 1 store (far away) and $7.99 at another store (less far away) which aren't low enough to get me to make the drive. I guess I need to call each store again this week to see if the magic 74% off has kicked in.
Old 02-28-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This store closes on March 26th... It was 67% off last week (after I figured out the method to their madness - it was 60% prior). That said, I have yet to read a report anywhere else of this scaling 7% discount.

Thing is... I could never get a handle on what the hell was going on. The new blacked out barcodes on random titles @ $4.99 happened this week. Prior to that I was just going by the DVDs $6.99, $5.99, weekly drop thing. But, they kept ringing lower at checkout, so I was like whiskey tango foxtrot ¿.

Huge YMMV I suppose...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.