DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Once Upon A Time In The West $15.99 at Amazon and Best Buy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/590552-once-upon-time-west-%2415-99-amazon-best-buy.html)

Classic Films 05-09-11 09:09 AM

Once Upon A Time In The West $15.99 at Amazon and Best Buy

Please support film classics on blu-ray.

$24.99 list price, You can pre order at Best Buy and still do in store pick up on release day. Release date is May 31, 2011.

http://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Time...4949763&sr=1-1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Once+Upo...1059&lp=1&cp=1

whotony 05-09-11 10:57 AM

Re: Once Upon A Time In The West $15.99 at Amazon and Best Buy

It's been 15.99 on amazon since it was put up a couple months ago.

Solid Snake 05-09-11 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Classic Films (Post 10762943)
Please support film classics on blu-ray.

$24.99 list price, You can pre order at Best Buy and still do in store pick up on release day. Release date is May 31, 2011.

http://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Time...4949763&sr=1-1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Once+Upo...1059&lp=1&cp=1

uh....we do. And we bitch about it when those types of films are fucked up by the studio. Damn you, Universal! How could you fuck up w/ Spartacus!?!?

Classic Films 05-09-11 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10763176)
uh....we do. And we bitch about it when those types of films are fucked up by the studio. Damn you, Universal! How could you fuck up w/ Spartacus!?!?

This is from Paramount. They have put out so few films in blu made in the 20th Century that their every release from the period should be supported to show there is interest. Its odd thinking of anything from the 20th Century as classic. Time goes by.

beebs 05-10-11 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films (Post 10763292)
This is from Paramount. They have put out so few films in blu made in the 20th Century that their every release from the period should be supported to show there is interest. Its odd thinking of anything from the 20th Century as classic. Time goes by.

Support Paramount's classic film releases... is that a joke? We are talking about a company that let the rights to Psycho, Rear Window and Vertigo lapse back to Hitchcock out of disinterest.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 05-10-11 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by beebs (Post 10765475)
Support Paramount's classic film releases... is that a joke? We are talking about a company that let the rights to Psycho, Rear Window and Vertigo lapse back to Hitchcock out of disinterest.

Paramount just seems to suck at everything. I'll also add in the Friday the 13th DVD and blu-ray editions and them holding the rights to Full Moon titles for years and not releasing them on DVD.

davidh777 05-10-11 07:17 PM

Paramount also gave up the rights to the Twilight franchise. Not that those are good films, but they make money.

jwstl 05-10-11 08:31 PM

I have the DVD and would love to have it on Blu but I don't ordering anything I already have, no matter how badly I want it, until I read a couple of reviews and make sure it's worth the upgrade.

Classic Films 05-11-11 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by beebs (Post 10765475)

The Hitchcock films you mention reverting to the Hitchcock estate was part of the contract that Paramount had with Hitchcock and had nothing to do with a lack of interest in the films on Paramount's part. Paramount had the right to release the films for a certain number of years and then the films reverted to Hitchcock. The original copyright on those films was Hitchcock's production company and not Paramount. Also I believe the Paramount logo on these films say A Paramount Release and not a Paramount Picture. Just going by memory as I haven't watched the films recently.

You will never get the films you want that are controlled by Paramount if you don't purchase the ones that are available. If you are OK with that, fine. Paramount knows if they are making money on their classic film releases. Apparently they have not and so their inventory goes to places like Big Lots which seem to have more Paramount DVDs then any other company. I am not saying you should buy a film you have no interest in just in the hope they will release something you want. I am saying if Paramount releases a film you do want, you should buy it instead of bitching about all the films they haven't released.

beebs 05-12-11 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films (Post 10766246)
I am not saying you should buy a film you have no interest in just in the hope they will release something you want. I am saying if Paramount releases a film you do want, you should buy it instead of bitching about all the films they haven't released.

Hey, I'm just telling it like it is.

I own a ton of and would love to own more Paramount titles. But the studio sits forever on titles (African Queen, Wings), sells off large swaths of stuff (95% of 1950s and earlier theatrical), lets tons of titles lapse, etc. Paramount has two types of classic catalog titles, the few score they will release and all the rest that they have no interest in.

Much like Disney where they treat animation classics different from the rest of their library, Paramount has chosen a few score classics that they will release with kind attention, and will more or less ignore the rest. If you want one of these titles, you needed do anything. They will eventually release them. Much like you need not buy Sleeping Beauty or Snow White to get Dumbo or Bambi. Paramount like Disney will slowly slip out it's classic titles. Sooner or later, you'll get it (unless it's Song of the South, you'll get two or three versions of everything else before you see that again).

With Paramount, you'll see something similar. The studio will circle around repeatedly on it's chosen classic titles long before it digs into it's vault for something new. For that list of titles, see the Centennial Collection DVD titles. You see these titles and then 1-2 new titles a year... maybe.

Hammer99 05-13-11 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films (Post 10766246)
The Hitchcock films you mention reverting to the Hitchcock estate was part of the contract that Paramount had with Hitchcock and had nothing to do with a lack of interest in the films on Paramount's part. Paramount had the right to release the films for a certain number of years and then the films reverted to Hitchcock. The original copyright on those films was Hitchcock's production company and not Paramount. Also I believe the Paramount logo on these films say A Paramount Release and not a Paramount Picture. Just going by memory as I haven't watched the films recently.

You will never get the films you want that are controlled by Paramount if you don't purchase the ones that are available. If you are OK with that, fine. Paramount knows if they are making money on their classic film releases. Apparently they have not and so their inventory goes to places like Big Lots which seem to have more Paramount DVDs then any other company. I am not saying you should buy a film you have no interest in just in the hope they will release something you want. I am saying if Paramount releases a film you do want, you should buy it instead of bitching about all the films they haven't released.

I hear ya & I pre-ordered it the day that Amazon made it available... but you're talking to the wrong crowd here. The majority of posters on this sub-forum are more about the deal than the content.

Solid Snake 05-13-11 09:06 PM

or in the case of some the balance of the price vs. the amount of features and the film itself. I'm overall all for this film that I obsessively love but...I need some proof of it's AV quality before I finally let the transaction go.

PopcornTreeCt 05-13-11 11:04 PM

If buying Once Upon a Time in the West for $15.99 meant Chinatown was released this year then I would buy it.