Trade and Save at Best Buy

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 05-08-11, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this browsing the on-line weekly ad at Best Buy.com

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Movies+P...5&DCMP=rdr5098

It seems if you trade in "ANY" dvd with original case/artwork you can get a $5 coupon towards a blu-ray from a selected list they have. I don't know if you can use more then one coupon per blu but I'm going to find out.
Old 05-08-11, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Trade and Save at Best Buy

The fine print:

Coupon valid only on select titles. Limit five coupons per visit. A recycling receipt must accompany the coupon at time of redemption. Once you have received your coupon, if you do not find an applicable Blu-ray movie you'd like to purchase, you will not be able to get your traded-in movie back. Not valid with any other discount, offer or package. Markdown taken from original price. Your original DVD must have been commercially packed and with the original case. Adult content DVDs not accepted. Valid on in-stock Blu-ray movies only. No cash value. Offer valid 5/8?6/4/11.
That's the line that may be the deal breaker. If by "original price" they mean MSRP, then this promotion is a bust.
Old 05-08-11, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are quite a few movies I would be interested in from that list. Please let us know if you can use more than one coupon per blu.
Old 05-08-11, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
The fine print:

That's the line that may be the deal breaker. If by "original price" they mean MSRP, then this promotion is a bust.
Looking at the print ad it appears that you can use it on sale discs. It shows some discs (like "Tears of the Sun") which are on sale this week for $9.99 and a price drop to $4.99 with a trade-in.
Old 05-08-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If people have success (I know most people's BB stores are probably more lenient than mine), especially trading in a non-movie DVD, please post.

My BB hasn't allowed me to use any coupon which says markdowns taken from regular prices on a sale item for years (I gave up trying long ago). I'd be very shocked if they allowed this coupon at mine on a sale title because if they did it could be a decent sale if you pick things already on sale. I suppose if the ad says sale titles are $5 off this week with the DVD trade-in, after a painful argument with supervisors and manager, maybe even my store would do it... but they would only do it THIS WEEK and only on the titles specifically marked in the ad. Maybe Tears of the Sun this week as a $5 BD upgrade since apparently it's specifically marked (but it'll be OOS before I can get there on Monday)? If the coupon is off the MSRP then it's like throwing your used DVDs away.

Also, they'll let you trade in ANY DVD? Does that include the junk we were sending Warner for their BDs like GoodTimes or promo discs? By the wording it says they will, yet I doubt it because they can't resell those.

I have several DVDs on the list I'd like to get rid of, but haven't traded in anything since early last year because FYE gives almost $0 trade-in credit for most older stuff (even their trade-in offers on a few BDs have been jokes) and it's not worth the effort to try to sell them anywhere. Most DVDs don't even move for $1-$2 at a garage sale. The way I look at it, if you buy a DVD nowadays, you're stuck with it forever unless you're OK only getting up to $1 if you want to get rid of. That's why I stick with Big Lots DVDs at $3.
Old 05-08-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you whine any more, Manzana?

To stay on topic, I looked through the list and didn't see much on there that I would be willing to buy at $5 off. If you can trade in multiple DVDs and get them for no money out of pocket, then I'd probably be interested in several. However, I really doubt that is the case and there will be a limit of a $5 credit per blu-ray.
Old 05-08-11, 10:08 AM

You should be able to get "Justified" Season 1 on Blu-ray for $14.99 after coupon, which is a pretty good deal. 99.9% sure you can't apply more than one coupon per Blu-ray, but that would be an awesome glitch.
Old 05-08-11, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath View Post
I'll try to whine harder next time just for you. Don't you know that everything seems better when you take it with "whine"? :-) What I said is very accurate about my BB... they go over every word on every coupon hoping and praying for any reason to reject it, and they usually find or invent some reason. So these coupons won't work at my store on sale titles unless the ad specifically says it's allowed on those titles. That's what the manager said a few months ago. So I can only do it on specifically marked titles in the ad. I expect others will be able to use it on any sale titles on the list.
Old 05-08-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
I'll try to whine harder next time just for you. Don't you know that everything seems better when you take it with "whine"? :-) What I said is very accurate about my BB... they go over every word on every coupon hoping and praying for any reason to reject it, and they usually find or invent some reason. So these coupons won't work at my store on sale titles unless the ad specifically says it's allowed on those titles. That's what the manager said a few months ago. So I can only do it on specifically marked titles in the ad. I expect others will be able to use it on any sale titles on the list.
I'm not trying to derail this thread at all, but a lot of your posts would be better suited in the "Store" forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
Old 05-08-11, 10:37 AM
Cool New Member

This deal kind of seemed interesting, but as each detail becomes more clear, it's not so exciting. The list of 135 titles isn't particularly encticing, mixing cheaper, less desirable titles with more desirable titles that are priced too highly to make the $5 off worth it.

In any event, here's my issue: This presumably is an in-store only deal, I'm assuming. There's no description of a way to use the coupon you get in-store on an online purchase (which isn't a very convenient option anyway of course). I bring this up because at least one title, "The Quick and the Dead", is only available online. I thought that would be a good title to get for $4.99 after the coupon, but it's not available in-store. What's the point of putting online-only titles on the list of 135 titles?

I have any ongoing e-mail dialogue with my local BB store mananger regarding my numerous issues with the store I (mostly used to) shop at, and envisioning trying to do this in-store trade in thing at my particular store is something that already seems too stressful.

But I'll keep perusing the list to see if anything is cheap enough to make this deal worth trying. As someone else mentioned, I have a good stack of old DVD's that no other store will give near $5 trade-in value for.
Old 05-08-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I can find a few I'd want of those listed in the ad. I have some dvd's that have already been replaced on blu that the local 2nd hand chain won't take because they have too many, and even if they did I would only get a buck or so.
Old 05-08-11, 12:18 PM

Just tried the trade and save at my best buy. Heres what I learned:
1) The coupons dont stack. I tried getting Taxi Driver for free, nope, only got it for $10 (still a good deal)
2) Yes, ANY movie. If they dont take it, be insistent, until they read the ad.
3) Its off the sale price, NOT the list price. Donnie Brasco was 16.99, it rang up as 14.99, then I got 5 dollars off.
4) Must be the exact edition specified in the ad. I tried to get the 20th anniversary of Goodfellas, even though the ad just said Goodfellas, but they wouldn't take it. (Im a huge Scorsese fan)

In summary, dont just trade in movies you dont want anymore. Make sure the store has what you want before you trade in, because the coupons are only good for a month, you can only use them on specific items, and they dont stack.
Old 05-08-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thisisjon View Post
3) Its off the sale price, NOT the list price. Donnie Brasco was 16.99, it rang up as 14.99, then I got 5 dollars off.
Nice! Thanks for the confirmation. Now I just need to watch the price on some of these and hope for a drop.

Yes, he can.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
No, you're not.
Old 05-08-11, 12:46 PM

Hey everyone, to anyone who has tried the Trade&Save so far, is Best Buy particular about the disc's condition? Does it have to be scratch-free, etc.? I have a few discs I want to unload but some have scratches, scuffs, fingerprints and was curious of how picky BB is about disc condition for trade.
Old 05-08-11, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by all24mend View Post
Hey everyone, to anyone who has tried the Trade&Save so far, is Best Buy particular about the disc's condition? Does it have to be scratch-free, etc.? I have a few discs I want to unload but some have scratches, scuffs, fingerprints and was curious of how picky BB is about disc condition for trade.
Doubt they're too picky about it. This is more a promotion to move merchandise and trick some customers into thinking that they're getting an awesome deal. The DVDs they receive are probably going straight into the trash.
Old 05-08-11, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by all24mend View Post
is Best Buy particular about the disc's condition? Does it have to be scratch-free, etc.? I have a few discs I want to unload but some have scratches, scuffs, fingerprints and was curious of how picky BB is about disc condition for trade.
They do a visual check. I noticed one of my discs had a fingerprint on it but they still accepted it. Its not like other resell stores where they run it through a machine.

My guess is after a few days they will get much more picky about the quality of the movies though. After a few weeks, they'll probably only accept certain movies. I traded in horrible B-movies and veggietales videos.
Old 05-08-11, 01:20 PM

Hmmm, some Blu-rays that would be $5 after coupon:

Donnie Darko
Men in Black
Napoleon Dynamite
Hoosiers
Inside Man
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Robocop (bad transfer and no extras, but hey)
Office Space
Old 05-08-11, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by deet View Post
Hmmm, some Blu-rays that would be $5 after coupon:

Donnie Darko
Men in Black
Napoleon Dynamite
Hoosiers
Inside Man
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Robocop (bad transfer and no extras, but hey)
Office Space
Add these (pictured in the ad):

Tears of the Sun
Zohan
The Kingdon
Old 05-08-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Justified for $14.99 is tempting.

How exactly do I go about trading in? Do I take them to customer service or what?
Old 05-08-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit View Post
Justified for $14.99 is tempting.

How exactly do I go about trading in? Do I take them to customer service or what?
Yeah, the link in the OP says to take them to customer service. That's where they handle the video game trades as well. The security guy/girl at the front will probably put a sticker on them first.
Old 05-08-11, 02:34 PM

Has anyone been able to stack the coupons? The fine print doesn't seem to rule it out.
Old 05-08-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not trying to derail this thread at all, but a lot of your posts would be better suited in the "Store" forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
And better suited all around if they weren't sooooooooooo effing long! The posts can have worthwhile things to say, but I often just get lost in the incessant, repetitious length of it all. And coming from me, someone who generally loves the sound of his own voice, that's saying something!

But Manzana,dude, even I know that when it comes to forums, sometimes "brevity is the soul of wit."
Old 05-08-11, 04:46 PM
g

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Can the bar code be slashed on the case? I might be able to find some of these that I don't want.
Old 05-08-11, 05:13 PM

Just a few quick thoughts on this promotion...

- Big Lots still has a ton (at least around me) of those $3 3-packs laying around if you're looking for cheap trades
- Don't trust the store locator on BB.com for this particular promotion. According to the website, Tears of the Sun is not available in-store. Mine had 5 of them - and it's the first time they've ever carried this title in-store.

I traded in absolute shit. Stuff that doesn't sell for more than 50 cents on amazon, and they took all of it. Slashed barcodes, blacked out barcodes, hell, the staff at my BB was so confused that a) they didn't even open the cases to look at the discs, and b) they were about to give me a $20 store credit gift card instead of $5 off each blu, until the manager had to come up for the override and said "uh, what are you doing?". They had to manually override each one as they did not get any coupons from corp...

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 05-08-11 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-08-11, 05:57 PM

I wonder if they would take all 5 copies of the Billy the Kid set I got from 1 sale a day. Has anyone had a dvd turned down?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.