Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Trade and Save at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Trade and Save at Best Buy

Interesting deal, but since we have a MovieStop, this gets a pass.
Old 05-09-11, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A BB employee confirmed that any price matching shenanigans will nullify the $5 coupon in the system.

Oh well, $5 for The Terminator isn't the worst thing in the world.
Old 05-09-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by animefan
What kind of DVD do they accept? Does it have to be scanned, and in their system? Because I have some $1 DVDs that I would love to get rid of, but know for sure that bestbuy is not selling them.
It would be awesome if they do indeed take some of those low quality 99 cent only store dvds. as the promo is written they should, because they are commercially packaged and released dvds, but knowing the idiots at bestbuy they will probably try to say they dont qualify lol
Old 05-09-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was at the store in Lewisville, TX today. The promotion had its own cardboard displays (two of 'em) that had all of eligible BluRays with sale prices indicated. No problem getting JUSTIFIED Season 1 (which was sticker-ed at $39.95) for $14.95. Traded in an unopened copy of THE KENNEDY MYSTIQUE from one of the Big Lots $3 for 3 packs.
Old 05-09-11, 06:14 PM

Many of the wb blu-rays are on sale for $9.99 with free shipping at their wbshop.com. So don't waste your cpns on those.

At bb grabbed
Taxi Driver
Justified
Office Space
Old 05-09-11, 08:03 PM

Have flipped 15 diff. ones with no problem here,

Funniest story so far is the first store I was at and the CSR not knowing how to ring the transaction, so she calls over the Team Leader who looks and sees my stack to trade in-- HBO samplers, a MTV disc of 2007 shows, and movie preview discs (each has case, UPC, etc, so...), all that I got from Best Buy for $0.01 each during promotions,....that I'm now giving back to them for $5 credit.
"YOU'RE giving US these?!", he says, I say "yep!" and complete the transaction ....Bwahahahaha!

List of $4.99 and $9.99 items after coup, via Blu-Ray Forum:

$4.99 after coupon:

MIB
Robocop
12 Monkees
You Don't Mess w/ the Zohan
Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake)
Tears of the Sun
Predator (original 2008 DNR free release)
Traitor
Righteous Kill
Office Space
Napoleon Dynamite
Hoosiers
The Kingdom
Inside Man
Donnie Darko

Here's a list of $9.99 titles after $5 coupon:

Alien Vs Predator
Alien Vs Predator: Requiem
Book of Eli
Couple’s Retreat
Crank 2: High Voltage
Clash of the Titans
Donnie Brasco
Full Metal Jacket
Gamer
GoodFellas
Hitman
I Robot
Independence Day
Inglorious Bastards
Rudy
Sherlock Holmes
Street Kings
Silence of the Lambs
Taxi Driver
True Romance
Three Kings
The Dark Knight
The Wrestler
Whip It

Last edited by jayceman; 05-09-11 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

If I'd known this would happen, I would've stacked up on the Boardwalk Empire first episode DVD's when they were $0.01 each.
Old 05-10-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stopped in and got Men In Black for $5 after the Best Buy person had to call over a girl who had to go to the website and print the instruction on how she enters everything into the register. This a triple dip movie for me. Originally had the regular version, then replaced it with the deluxe version and now the BluRay. I gave them a Beowulf dvd that I got used at BlockBuster free once, I didnt care for the movie at all.
Old 05-10-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The trade went smoothly, though CS claimed I was the first one to take advantage of the deal. Traded in some old movies I had no use for: Times Square, 29th Street, and the TV movie Gargoyles. Couldn't believe they actually took them off my hands!
Old 05-10-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs
Traded in some old movies I had no use for: Times Square
Good thing my g/f doesn't read this board or else she'd be hunting you down for being a cultural Philistine.
Old 05-10-11, 03:34 PM

I traded in five absolutely crap titles (public domain junk) so I can verify that they will take anything...
Old 05-10-11, 05:00 PM

I just had the most unbelievably aggravating insane experience I have ever had at Best Buy, this was in Glendale, CA (Los Angeles area).

The short of it: They wanted all original RECEIPTS for the dvds I wanted to trade in. Did this happen to anyone?

I am floored. I brought in discs I bought ten+ years ago. I asked for the manager, who repeated the same information.

Now for the long tale!

Went in looking for Predator BD, found it, but no X-men First Class ticket. So I asked a CSR, who had no idea of course. She looked it up on their website, found nothing. She then asked another CSR, who told me "Yeah, tickets for Fast Five." I let him know Xmen tickets were to be had. "There's no new Xmen movie coming out," is what he said to me... So, I enlightened him. He then went to the back to search for movies with the ticket.

Ten minutes later, or so it seemed, he came out with Predator BD with Xmen ticket! I was elated. "This is all I could find," said the CSR. Perfect, so I went to wait in the customer service line. I finally got to a cashier, who asked for my receipts. I thought she was talking about the BD I had with me. I had her repeat herself about five times because I was so shocked. Asked for manager, who just echoed the info. Gave up, went back to the shelf. Saw the two CSRs I talked to eariler, who were in agreement with me, then was told Finger Prints were required for trade-ins...........

Just wow.
Old 05-10-11, 05:21 PM

don't shop at the glendale, ca best buy unless it is a simple buy. for anything that requires more than a simple scan and pay they turn it into the most frustrating ordeal. drive the extra couple miles to burbank.

Originally Posted by Quezacotl02
I just had the most unbelievably aggravating insane experience I have ever had at Best Buy, this was in Glendale, CA (Los Angeles area).

The short of it: They wanted all original RECEIPTS for the dvds I wanted to trade in. Did this happen to anyone?

I am floored. I brought in discs I bought ten+ years ago. I asked for the manager, who repeated the same information.

Now for the long tale!

Went in looking for Predator BD, found it, but no X-men First Class ticket. So I asked a CSR, who had no idea of course. She looked it up on their website, found nothing. She then asked another CSR, who told me "Yeah, tickets for Fast Five." I let him know Xmen tickets were to be had. "There's no new Xmen movie coming out," is what he said to me... So, I enlightened him. He then went to the back to search for movies with the ticket.

Ten minutes later, or so it seemed, he came out with Predator BD with Xmen ticket! I was elated. "This is all I could find," said the CSR. Perfect, so I went to wait in the customer service line. I finally got to a cashier, who asked for my receipts. I thought she was talking about the BD I had with me. I had her repeat herself about five times because I was so shocked. Asked for manager, who just echoed the info. Gave up, went back to the shelf. Saw the two CSRs I talked to eariler, who were in agreement with me, then was told Finger Prints were required for trade-ins...........

Just wow.
Old 05-10-11, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Good thing my g/f doesn't read this board or else she'd be hunting you down for being a cultural Philistine.
I was just Grouchoing; you'd have to be a fool to trade in any of those titles.
Old 05-10-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Traded in PD stuff I got for a nickel a long time ago. Got 6 vouchers, but only used 2 so far. Picked up Hoosiers and Office Space .. forgot about 12 Monkeys and MIB, but I guess they were sold out because they were not in the display. Hopefully they will restock.
Old 05-10-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I took in seven random dvds purchased for less than a buck each at a Hollywood going out of business sale a couple years ago. The CS girl didn't know how the promotion worked, so she got a manager who then informed me that the deal required I be trading in blu-rays. I tried to be polite, but she kept insisting, so I told her to go read her own website or weekly ad and that I'd be picking out the blu-rays I was going to buy while she verified it. When I came back, she said there was a limit of five trades per customer per day, so if I wanted the other two movies, I'd have to come back again. The deal was good enough that the hassle didn't bother me too much, but it was still kind of irritating.
Old 05-11-11, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Quezacotl02

Same thing happened to me, although this store was the Valley Stream one on Long Island. She gave some BS explanation about a law which indicates that if you reside in Nassau County, you need to provide a receipt with the trade-ins.

I explained to the CSR that if she could show me anywhere in the fine print where it says that I need to bring in the original receipts of the DVDs, I will accept their "answer." I had the weekly circular in front showing her the promotion and no where does it say you need a receipt. The website doesn't mention anything of the sort either.

Eventually, some acting manager got in on this (real manager couldn't be bothered to come out from the back) and finally I was able to get the coupons (four in total), however, then the CSR ended up ringing each blu-ray on a separate receipt, saying she couldn't do it all on one... whatever.

I think the confusion might lie in the fact that on the coupons themselves, it says that the coupons must be accompanied by a "recycling receipt," which is what the CSR provides the customer with once they trade in the DVDs. Perhaps they interpreted it as the customer has to provide a receipt??
Old 05-11-11, 11:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

coupons must be accompanied by a "recycling receipt,"

What exactly does that mean anyway?
Old 05-11-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I honestly think that all Best Buys promotions are engineered by one 15 year old boy wearing a Mom sewn BB blue shirt, sitting at his PC in his bedroom somewhere in West Virginia. He sends it to corporate and the high execs just sign off on it without knowing where, when, why or how it was created.
Old 05-11-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
coupons must be accompanied by a "recycling receipt,"

What exactly does that mean anyway?
It means that when you turn in your used DVD, Best Buy gives you a receipt for "recycling" it, as well as the $5 coupon.

When you go to use your $5 coupon (which could be on a subsequent visit), you must also present the receipt at the same time.
Old 05-12-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Interesting to hear about the "recycling receipt" stories. It doesn't surprise me.

I have to get my car serviced this Saturday and across the street is the mall next to my favorite store of all time... BB. However, this isn't my normal deny-all-coupons BB. This is the one that has typically been nicer to me. So I'll give this trade-in deal a shot then and see what sort of joyous experiences or out-of-stock-ness I encounter and report back to the eager masses. :-) I won't have time to figure out what I want or what to trade in until Saturday morning when that evil of evils (called work) stops trying to break my back for 2 days.
Old 05-12-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

First store I went to last night said their trade-in machine was down. Made it to another store right before they closed and they told me there was a 5 trade-in max. They also made me go get the Blu-Rays I wanted first because they said they had to do the whole transaction there at customer service. And she also had to get the manager to help her do it because she had no fucking clue how this program works.
Old 05-12-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So you can only use one $5 coupon per title purchased, right?
Old 05-12-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Everything went flawless with my trade yesterday. Walked in and picked out the blu-rays I wanted and took them over to customer service. Took the cashier about 5 minutes to check the dvds and ring up the blu-rays. He tried to price-match Office Space for $7.99 (online price) with a coupon, but the system overrode it and took it down to only $4.99. In and out of there in about 10 minutes.

Bought:
Dawn of the Dead
Donnie Darko
Office Space
Predator (w/ $12 movie cash for X-Men First Class)
Terminator

I had $15 RZ cash and a $10 gift card, so the total was $0.72 for 5 blu-rays and a free ticket to X-Men. Not bad.

Originally Posted by runner001
So you can only use one $5 coupon per title purchased, right?
Correct.
Old 05-12-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
He tried to price-match Office Space for $7.99 (online price) with a coupon, but the system overrode it and took it down to only $4.99. .
Damn. I was hoping to get The Quick and The Dead for .99 cents.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.