DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Columbia House adds BDs to enrollment selections (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/589748-columbia-house-adds-bds-enrollment-selections.html)

junglalien 04-17-11 10:34 AM

Columbia House adds BDs to enrollment selections

Just thought I'd post it here for people that don't follow the CH threads.

You can get 7 BDs for $12.89 plus tax if applicable in your state. You will then be obligated to buy 2 more movies within 2 years.

See this thread for more details.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/5...nt-titles.html

teke184 04-18-11 09:40 AM

Re: Columbia House adds BDs to enrollment selections

Thanks for the heads-up. I may actually need to rejoin CH at some point to get a bunch of stuff I've been waiting to hit sale prices.

SterlingBen 04-18-11 09:52 AM

Thanks OP, maybe it's time to give CH another chance.

roobix 04-18-11 11:32 AM

Thanks, junglalien!

Imprint 04-19-11 03:40 PM

Thanks for the notice! It's been several years since I had a membership.

SRGilbert 04-20-11 08:23 PM

Same here, ran out of DVD's I wanted long ago, thanks for the heads up!

islandclaws 04-21-11 01:37 PM

I was a member of CH years ago (like, 15 or more) and it was for CDs. Are the BDs the same as ones I'd buy in-store? I know that might sound like a dumb question, but I just wanted to be sure. I might be into signing up if I only have to buy 2 titles in 2 years.

Sweet Baby James 04-21-11 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10736117)
I was a member of CH years ago (like, 15 or more) and it was for CDs. Are the BDs the same as ones I'd buy in-store? I know that might sound like a dumb question, but I just wanted to be sure. I might be into signing up if I only have to buy 2 titles in 2 years.

Yes. Same UPC number and no Mfd. for Coulmbia House labels.

JimRochester 04-21-11 04:38 PM

Great deal but unfortunately i couldn't even find 7.

jwstl 04-21-11 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 10736371)

You must have quite a BD collection or specific tastes to not be able to find 7 out of the nearly 800 titles available.

As soon as I receive my first order I'm going to cancel and go back for 7 more.

JimRochester 04-21-11 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl (Post 10736450)
You must have quite a BD collection or specific tastes to not be able to find 7 out of the nearly 800 titles available.

As soon as I receive my first order I'm going to cancel and go back for 7 more.

Not really all that big by most standards on this board but between the BR and HD it's somewhere under 300. I did find 5 but I will admit I am very picky about which movies I want to own. I'll watch just about any piece of crap but there are very few I want to own.

SRGilbert 04-21-11 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 10736680)
Not really all that big by most standards on this board but between the BR and HD it's somewhere under 300. I did find 5 but I will admit I am very picky about which movies I want to own. I'll watch just about any piece of crap but there are very few I want to own.

I don't have a ton of BR yet myself, but I have to admit that I could only come up with about 20 enrollements that I was interested in (that I didn't already have), and almost ALL of them will be upgrades from DVD's I already own. :shrug:

BuckNaked2k 04-21-11 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 10736680)

I'm with you. I've got pretty much all I want that's out. My wishlist is almost all pre-orders right now, so it's tough to find 7 titles. Of course, I'm jealous of the guys getting 7 Blu-rays for $13 with some of the same titles I paid $30 apiece!!!

ds6161 04-22-11 10:23 AM

do they have a blu section or do we have to just search for everything??

Schloob1 04-22-11 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ds6161 (Post 10737455)
do they have a blu section or do we have to just search for everything??

Go to the DVD Club section and someone was nice enough on page 5 or 6 I believe and posted a spreadsheet with the roughly 700+ titles that are eligible for the 1st part of the enrollment(titles eligible for $0.49 part of the deal).

Sweet Baby James 04-22-11 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Schloob1 (Post 10737463)
Go to the DVD Club section and someone was nice enough on page 5 or 6 I believe and posted a spreadsheet with the roughly 700+ titles that are eligible for the 1st part of the enrollment(titles eligible for $0.49 part of the deal).

Direct link to that post-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10733660-post108.html

Schloob1 04-22-11 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James (Post 10737466)

You da man SBJ :D

rfduncan 04-22-11 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 10736371)

I think I recently read in one of the CH threads that most of the Paramount titles are going pending a renegotiation with the studio.

teke184 04-22-11 11:43 PM

A word of waring-

My order has started processing. All 7 titles I ordered through the initial offer are listed as "backordered" with an expected shipping date of between 2 weeks and about 2 months in the future.

Be prepared for the possibility that your "discounted" discs don't show up for a long time or that you end up with rainchecks from CH that you'll have to use on something else.

lizard 04-23-11 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James (Post 10737466)

Originally Posted by Schloob1 (Post 10737492)
You da man SBJ :D

While I agree with your assessment of SBJ, let's give credit to abintra who assembled that list of ~780 enrollment BDs!

Sweet Baby James 04-23-11 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by lizard (Post 10738819)
While I agree with your assessment of SBJ, let's give credit to abintra who assembled that list of ~780 enrollment BDs!

You guys.:blush:

blu_newbie 04-25-11 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by teke184 (Post 10738343)
A word of waring-

My order has started processing. All 7 titles I ordered through the initial offer are listed as "backordered" with an expected shipping date of between 2 weeks and about 2 months in the future.

Be prepared for the possibility that your "discounted" discs don't show up for a long time or that you end up with rainchecks from CH that you'll have to use on something else.

Me too - all my 7 titles are listed as backordered. Has anyone in this forum started receiving their enrollment titles?

Bleeding Blue 04-26-11 11:55 AM

I scoured the entire list of enrollment selections and settled on the following Blu-Ray titles:

Shutter Island
Doomsday
Forrest Gump
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Collective Soul & the Atlanta Youth Symphony: Home (or something like that)
Dances With Wolves
Pirate Radio

My credit card has been charged and I have been assigned an account number. However, when looking at the order history for my account the status of each selection reads “Backordered”. Two of the titles are expected to be back in stock on 05/02/11 but there’s no word on the rest of them.

If this is how CH will continue to operate I’m afraid this very well could be my last account with them. The savings just aren’t worth the trouble.

kenbenobi 04-26-11 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bleeding Blue (Post 10742825)
If this is how CH will continue to operate I’m afraid this very well could be my last account with them. The savings just aren’t worth the trouble.

Well, I'm sure they have just been slammed with orders since they started having BD's as enrollments. Usually they wouldn't have this many people ordering the same titles in a matter of a few days. Heck, I doubt they've ever had this many people signing up for new accounts in such a short period either. I'm sure they will be fine going forward, once they get in enough stock to cover the initial orders... Personally, I'm in no hurry to receive anything. I have enough of a backlog to last me the rest of the year, and into next year. I guarantee they'll ship em faster than DD did last fall.

The suckiest part is that this will slow down the amount of time for us to cycle accounts, which is what us CH regulars typically do...

jwstl 04-26-11 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bleeding Blue (Post 10742825)
My credit card has been charged and I have been assigned an account number. However, when looking at the order history for my account the status of each selection reads “Backordered”. Two of the titles are expected to be back in stock on 05/02/11 but there’s no word on the rest of them.

If waiting for backorders is too much "trouble" for you then maybe you shouldn't be bargain shopping. I'm sure there are places with these in stock at full price.