DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   From Dusk Till Dawn (Canadian) 8.49 shipped at inetvideo.com (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/589315-dusk-till-dawn-canadian-8-49-shipped-inetvideo-com.html)

joltman 04-05-11 11:17 AM

From Dusk Till Dawn (Canadian) 8.49 shipped at inetvideo.com

inetvideo.com currently has the Canadian version of From Dusk Till Dawn for 8.49, and it is one of the items they currently have free shipping on. I was planning on waiting until the reviews came out for the Echo Bridge version before I bought it, but based on the reports on the Echo Bridge releases so far, I went ahead and ordered this.

seether254 04-05-11 11:33 AM

Re: From Dusk Till Dawn (Canadian) 8.49 shipped at inetvideo.com

Originally Posted by joltman (Post 10711356)
inetvideo.com currently has the Canadian version of From Dusk Till Dawn for 8.49, and it is one of the items they currently have free shipping on. I was planning on waiting until the reviews came out for the Echo Bridge version before I bought it, but based on the reports on the Echo Bridge releases so far, I went ahead and ordered this.

heard the special features on this include spanish and french language and thats it.

kenbenobi 04-05-11 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by seether254 (Post 10711381)
heard the special features on this include spanish and french language and thats it.

I didn't think there were special features on either release... The Canadian one has 5.1 lossless, but the US release only 2.0 lossless. I'm curious about the aspect ratio though, cuz many Canada releases are not correct...

BuckNaked2k 04-05-11 12:59 PM

Miramax release up for pre-order: $9.99 at Amazon.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lnPSC0tOL.jpg

jwstl 04-05-11 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 10711452)
I'm curious about the aspect ratio though, cuz many Canada releases are not correct...

I hadn't heard that. Can you list some examples?

lordzeppelin 04-05-11 01:19 PM

I'd be curious to hear this as well. I've been playing around with getting the Canadian version for a while, but never actually ordered it. Any info would be great, cause I'll pull the trigger on the iNet deal if the info is strong on the US release.

Edited to add - The Amazon listing is showing a 1.77:1 Aspect Ratio, the Canadian Release is 1.78:1, and IMDB is showing 1.85:1 for the original film. Doesn't look like we'll get OAR ever...

But I can't find anything that states the US one is only going to be a 2.0 Dolby track. Blu-Ray.com is listing the same DTS-HD 5.1 as the Canadian release...Where is the 2.0 info coming from?

JAYARE 04-05-11 01:24 PM

us cover looks cool but im sure EB didn't do anything else decent with this release

BuckNaked2k 04-05-11 01:42 PM

Apparently, this has streeted early at many Best Buys. Reports indicate that it looks to be a direct port of the bare-bones Canadian Alliance disc:

Decent 1080p OAR transfer
DTS 5.1 soundtrack (lossy)
No extras
No subtitles

Sticking will my Alliance will be an easy choice.

wormraper 04-05-11 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k (Post 10711539)
Apparently, this has streeted early at many Best Buys. Reports indicate that it looks to be a direct port of the bare-bones Canadian Alliance disc:

Decent 1080p OAR transfer
DTS 5.1 soundtrack (lossy)
No extras
No subtitles

Sticking will my Alliance will be an easy choice.

agreed. at least my Alliance release had a full lossless 5.1 DTS HD-MA track

E Unit 04-05-11 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl (Post 10711482)
I hadn't heard that. Can you list some examples?

The Blade trilogy set is a good example. The first Blade is 2.35 but incorrectly framed at 1.78 (or 1.85, it fills the screen). The second movie is correct at 1.85, and the third movie is listed as 1.78 on the box, but the movie is 2.35.

wormraper 04-05-11 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 10711560)
The Blade trilogy set is a good example. The first Blade is 2.35 but incorrectly framed at 1.78 (or 1.85, it fills the screen). The second movie is correct at 1.85, and the third movie is listed as 1.78 on the box, but the movie is 2.35.

it may list 1.78:1 on the box for Trinity but the Canadian release IS 2.35:1 on the disc

lordzeppelin 04-05-11 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by wormraper (Post 10711554)
agreed. at least my Alliance release had a full lossless 5.1 DTS HD-MA track

Wait, if it's a direct port, then how has the audio changed from lossless to lossy? I mean, wouldn't it be the same? or are there 2 Canadian versions, one that has MA and one that doesn't?

BrandonJF 04-05-11 04:22 PM

The 2.0 thing is coming from people seeing the back cover art that lists it as "2.0". One person at Blu-Ray.com said it had a "standard DTS 5.1" track. I think some have taken "standard" to mean "lossless". As far as I'm concerned, it's still up in the air as to what is actually on the disc. The cover art says "2.0", one person has said it has a DTS 5.1 track, which could be lossless, could not be....

wormraper 04-05-11 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin (Post 10711679)
Wait, if it's a direct port, then how has the audio changed from lossless to lossy? I mean, wouldn't it be the same? or are there 2 Canadian versions, one that has MA and one that doesn't?

it's NOT a direct port from the alliance disc. this them getting the sources directly from Miramax usa. not even really. Miramax's stuff is being licensed out by bean counters who hold their debt and are just tossing Echo bridge the source and doing jack crap with it. the Alliance release came from a canadian source.

kenbenobi 04-05-11 05:49 PM

From Dusk Til Dawn is now OOS at inetvideo. Oh well... I was just about to place an order, after finding a few more titles I wanted...

BrandonJF 04-05-11 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by wormraper (Post 10711857)
it's NOT a direct port from the alliance disc. this them getting the sources directly from Miramax usa. not even really. Miramax's stuff is being licensed out by bean counters who hold their debt and are just tossing Echo bridge the source and doing jack crap with it. the Alliance release came from a canadian source.

??? Isn't that the same thing Miramax does with Alliance? I really doubt Alliance is creating their own transfers.

Also, there are screenshots in the thread at the Blu-Ray.com forum showing it's a DTS-HD MA 5.1 track. The odds are pretty good this is the exact same encode that was used for the Alliance release.

E Unit 04-05-11 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by wormraper (Post 10711569)
it may list 1.78:1 on the box for Trinity but the Canadian release IS 2.35:1 on the disc

Yep, that's what I meant.

junglalien 04-05-11 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin (Post 10711508)
Edited to add - The Amazon listing is showing a 1.77:1 Aspect Ratio, the Canadian Release is 1.78:1, and IMDB is showing 1.85:1 for the original film. Doesn't look like we'll get OAR ever...

Are you kidding? I have a projector and I don't even care if a 1.85 movie is released as 1.78. The difference is negligible.

BuckNaked2k 04-05-11 06:21 PM

Wait, does the Alliance disc have a DTS-HD MA track? (I'm at work and can't check mine).

The Beaver only mentions "DTS 5.1". :hscratch:

wormraper 04-05-11 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k (Post 10711959)
Wait, does the Alliance disc have a DTS-HD MA track? (I'm at work and can't check mine).

The Beaver only mentions "DTS 5.1". :hscratch:

It has a lossless DTS-HD MA track. I just double checked my disc

junglalien 04-06-11 01:44 PM

The Echo Bridge one is a pos. Get the Alliance one from Canada.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1727...sktildawn.html

kenbenobi 04-06-11 02:49 PM

Still OOS at inetvideo, and they raised the price to $9.99. Oh well... I guess they heard how the US release blows monkey chunks... They'll probably raise the price again before it comes back in stock...

Solid Snake 04-06-11 02:57 PM

How is Rodriguez not involved w/ this thing?

GenPion 04-06-11 03:08 PM

After reading that HD Digest review, I would suggest to anyone and everyone considering a purchase of this movie to get the Alliance release (which I have -- it's quite good). As for the lack of extras, buy a 3 disc Blu-ray case and house the DVD's alongside the Blu-ray (and if you don't own the original DVDs, they can still be purchased for next to nothing used).

GenPion 04-06-11 03:19 PM

... and, actually, my plan is probably a weird one. I was always annoyed by how Miramax mislabeled the discs in the From Dusk Till Dawn Collector's Set. So I'm hoping to get the Full Tilt Boogie individual DVD for my collection, and to only keep the second disc of the Collectors Series release (which is actually the film w/ commentary, making of featurettes, etc) and place it next to the Canadian Blu-ray in a 2 disc Blu-ray case. I'm not sure if anyone else would want to go that route, though.