DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Stand By Me (25th Anniversary Edition) - $12 @ Walmart B&M (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/588808-stand-me-25th-anniversary-edition-%2412-%40-walmart-b-m.html)

dino88 03-22-11 02:38 AM

Stand By Me (25th Anniversary Edition) - $12 @ Walmart B&M

Go get it!

jiggyblau 03-22-11 05:41 AM

Re: Stand By Me (25th Anniversary Edition) - $12 @ Walmart B&M

Did you notice the price of The Sandlot while you were there?

dino88 03-22-11 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by jiggyblau (Post 10690092)
did you notice the price of the sandlot while you were there?

$15

Timber 03-22-11 01:09 PM

$12 at YOUR Walmart, probably $19.96 or some such number at mine. I will go check it out though as I really want this movie.

animefan 03-22-11 02:31 PM

Ah, I put my self a limit of $10 for any blu-ray that I'm upgrading from DVD. But I might just give in for this one since I do love the movie and have new extras for the blu-ray. Thanks.

BSTNFAN 03-22-11 03:29 PM

It was $12 in Salem, NH as well.

jiggyblau 03-22-11 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10690412)
$15

Thanks. Just got it for $14.86 from BN.com this morning with the 15% coupon, so that's basically the same price. I usually keep the upgrade price at $10 or so too, but I just couldn't wait for The Sandlot.

Timber 03-22-11 07:47 PM

Of course my Walmart didn't have it so I don't know what the price would have been. Might try another Walmart tomorrow or just wait to see if Amazon price matches it.

kbjorn 03-22-11 09:43 PM

Thanks OP..got it today for $12 in White Plains, NY

darkhawk 03-23-11 07:18 AM

Bought Stand By Me. Also Bought The Sandlot to get rid of that stupid flipper. Great movies.

cdoug57 03-23-11 08:14 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this, was $12 here in Macon, Ga.

Doug

Timber 03-23-11 11:26 AM

Tried a second Walmart and they don't have it either. I'm done.

TheMovieman 03-23-11 11:26 AM

Mine didn't even have it either... Might check another store later however.

TheMovieman 03-23-11 09:43 PM

Well, finally found it at the other WM. The tag on the front said $15 but range up at $12, so thanks OP for pointing this out. I originally was going to wait for it to go on sale down the road for ~$10 but worth picking up now. And luckily enough the stickers came off relatively easily.

PopcornBandit 03-24-11 06:37 PM

I checked three Wal-Mart's today and none of them had it. There wasn't even a shelf tag for it. *sigh* I guess I'll head to a couple more either tomorrow or Saturday.

dino88 03-24-11 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit (Post 10693868)
I checked three Wal-Mart's today and none of them had it. There wasn't even a shelf tag for it. *sigh* I guess I'll head to a couple more either tomorrow or Saturday.

Why don't you call first?

PopcornBandit 03-24-11 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10693949)

Because in my experience Wal-Mart employees are illiterate fucktards who know nothing. :D

Timber 03-24-11 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10693949)

It'll take you longer to call, have someone pick up, get transfered back to the home entertainment department and then hold out hope that someone picks up and then hope even more that they have any idea what you're talking about.

dsa_shea 03-24-11 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 10694013)
It'll take you longer to call, have someone pick up, get transfered back to the home entertainment department and then hold out hope that someone picks up and then hope even more that they have any idea what you're talking about.

Exactly! I could drive around town faster than it takes someone to look for a movie and find it at Wal-Mart. It seems like they handpick and put some of the least knowledgeable people in electronics.

KrazyJason 03-25-11 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit (Post 10693952)
Because in my experience Wal-Mart employees are illiterate fucktards who know nothing. :D

I hate to say it but I agree. I went for the second time tonight to my local Walmart looking for this GD BD. The first time I went was early Tuesday and they hadn't stocked, the new release section was decimated. Looked the same tonight. So I find the first employee who stared at me dumbly and mumbled for someone else. So, this woman comes waddling over, half lidded, and struggling to comprehend what I'm saying. STAND BY ME ON BLURAY. I feel like I'm yelling english through a long distance call to chinese people in a nursing home. It's like trying to converse with an infant, or someone from the 18th century. Just fucking useless. They literally have no idea what I'm saying. They don't comprehend Stand By Me (a movie almost anyone who even has a passing interest in movies has heard of). They don't understand Bluray. They don't understand DO YOU HAVE!!! Ok, I'll just stop there. JHC ON A POGO STICK.

The Lizard King 03-25-11 02:00 PM

I ordered mine through the SONY Blu-ray Rewards Club. I hope that it comes with a slipcover!

TLK :cool:

DVDude! 03-25-11 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by KrazyJason (Post 10694487)
I hate to say it but I agree. I went for the second time tonight to my local Walmart looking for this GD BD. The first time I went was early Tuesday and they hadn't stocked, the new release section was decimated. Looked the same tonight. So I find the first employee who stared at me dumbly and mumbled for someone else. So, this woman comes waddling over, half lidded, and struggling to comprehend what I'm saying. STAND BY ME ON BLURAY. I feel like I'm yelling english through a long distance call to chinese people in a nursing home. It's like trying to converse with an infant, or someone from the 18th century. Just fucking useless. They literally have no idea what I'm saying. They don't comprehend Stand By Me (a movie almost anyone who even has a passing interest in movies has heard of). They don't understand Bluray. They don't understand DO YOU HAVE!!! Ok, I'll just stop there. JHC ON A POGO STICK.

Absolutely hilarious post! Thanks for the laugh. And, yes, I agree completely about Wal-Mart employees. In general, they are imbeciles.

dsa_shea 03-26-11 10:41 AM

The problem with Wal-Mart is that they don't put their employees in areas that they at least have a passing amount of knowledge. If I were running a video store i would hire people at least familiar with various videos and what is popular. The same goes for selling tires, car parts, clothes, etc. It would behoove the employees to stroll around the electronics or whatever section they work in and become familiar with whatever products they're responsible for.

PopcornBandit 03-26-11 06:10 PM

For those of you in the Greenville/Spartanburg area (KrazyJason, etc.), I just checked the three Wal-Mart's in G-ville as well as the one on Pelham Rd. and no sign of it at any of them. Not even a shelf tag. I give up.

Darth Maher 03-26-11 06:56 PM

When I went to WM to see if they had "Psycho" on BD (they didn't), the employee brushed me off saying "we don't have enough space carry EVERY movie." They obviously have enough room to stock a billion copies of the "Karate Kid' remake though. But one of the most influential horror movies in the 20th century? Oh, there's no room for that.