Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Mad Men Season 4 Blu-ray $29.97 @ Amazon.ca (Pre-order)

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 01-21-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon.ca has both the DVD and Blu-ray priced at $29.97.
This might be a price error. I would jump on this, before they catch it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Mad-Men-Season-...5616880&sr=1-2
Old 01-21-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Mad Men Season 4 Blu-ray $29.97 @ Amazon.ca (Pre-order)

My 2 cents... first, I've never ordered from Amazon.ca or .uk even though people post great deals from there (which I assume are due to currency differences). Amazon.ca or .uk could have the Alien Anthology BD for $10 US and I'd still pass on it. Besides not wanting to deal with a foreign country if there's a problem, I think there may be additional fees/charges (like at least 3%) on your credit card for those. On top of that I'm never sure I'll get a region 1 playable set and don't want to have to spend a lot of time researching that, their movies may have foreign UPCs that make stuff un-tradeable to any US store, etc. I stopped buying from Inetvideo when I got some Canadian UPC movies that nobody would touch here, but at least Inetvideo has a US entity to deal with and avoid currency issues and fees even if stuff ships from Canada (no way, eh). I'll only buy from Inetvideo if they are far cheaper than anyone else (which is rare due to their outrageous shipping prices) and I know I'll never want to get rid of the movie.

On top of that, I got burned on Mad Men S2 & S3 BDs buying them for just under $20 each only to have Amazon and Best ____ sell them for $9.99 around BF. That experience now puts $15 as the maximum I'd ever pay for any other Mad Men BD season, and we'll see what Amazon does next BF.
Old 01-21-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
My 2 cents... first, I've never ordered from Amazon.ca or .uk even though people post great deals from there (which I assume are due to currency differences). Amazon.ca or .uk could have the Alien Anthology BD for $10 US and I'd still pass on it. Besides not wanting to deal with a foreign country if there's a problem, I think there may be additional fees/charges (like at least 3%) on your credit card for those. On top of that I'm never sure I'll get a region 1 playable set and don't want to have to spend a lot of time researching that, their movies may have foreign UPCs that make stuff un-tradeable to any US store, etc. I stopped buying from Inetvideo when I got some Canadian UPC movies that nobody would touch here, but at least Inetvideo has a US entity to deal with and avoid currency issues and fees even if stuff ships from Canada (no way, eh). I'll only buy from Inetvideo if they are far cheaper than anyone else (which is rare due to their outrageous shipping prices) and I know I'll never want to get rid of the movie.

On top of that, I got burned on Mad Men S2 & S3 BDs buying them for just under $20 each only to have Amazon and Best ____ sell them for $9.99 around BF. That experience now puts $15 as the maximum I'd ever pay for any other Mad Men BD season, and we'll see what Amazon does next BF.
The currency thing might be an issue with Amazon.ca, but Amazon UK allows you to submit your order in US Dollars and you are charged that exact amount on your credit card, no matter how the market fluctuates.

Buying something and having it go on sale within a month or two is always frustrating. But everyone's done it. I'm having a problem pulling the trigger on Sarah Connor Chronicles S1 and 2 for 16 bucks each, because I suspect they will drop in price later (and way before I watch them). Some may consider Mad Men S4 BR a deal, (and it is now), but I've just seen it and wold be hard pressed to pay anywher near that amount .
Old 01-21-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Besides not wanting to deal with a foreign country if there's a problem, I think there may be additional fees/charges (like at least 3%) on your credit card for those. On top of that I'm never sure I'll get a region 1 playable set and don't want to have to spend a lot of time researching that, their movies may have foreign UPCs that make stuff un-tradeable to any US store, etc.
Canada is part of our Region A (blu-rays) / Region 1 (DVDs) and more than half (or more) of BDs are region free. As is, it's kind of irrelevant. All of it, that is, except for the BF deal, which is what I waited for. I'd be irritated to pay $40+ for a season on BD only to find it for $10 sometime (soon) after. Also, typically you can sell your Canada release on Amazon US if you have a trade-in issue.

Also, I've used BOA debit cards at Amazon.ca and have never been charged an currency exchange fee.

Last edited by izatright; 01-22-11 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-21-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. Pretty sure I remember the others coming out at around this price and in the US versions. I'll probably wait on buying it anyways since they seem to drop every Black Friday or so and haven't even watched season 3 yet.
Old 01-21-11, 07:56 PM

I know when I was visiting a foreign country, I got charged a 3% fee whenever I used my VISA, but maybe there are ways around it. I've also never investigated the region stuff for BDs. I don't know which are/aren't locked nor what region A is. All I know is region 1 for DVDs was US + Canada (which is why we get French tracks so often when I don't know a single person who speaks French but probably half of the people I know speak Spanish). I also didn't know that Amazon would take trade-ins of foreign UPC movies when local stores (i.e. FYE) won't. Of course even when FYE will take a US DVD or BD, it's usually only a buck or two, so it's not a huge loss.

Then perhaps ordering from Amazon .ca or .uk wouldn't be so bad if there were no transaction or currency fees. Of course I'd still have to check into that first. Given my backlog of movies, I'll keep passing on these foreign deals for the moment.

That'sAllFolks, I assume you're talking about TSCC from DVD2BLU for $14.95 each? While they could drop in price below that (and almost certainly will within 2 years), I don't think they are as popular as Mad Men and less likely to get a special deal from Amazon. I bought them both from DVD2BLU, and I'm hoping/planning to watch them soon. If I can watch them before the prices plummets, then it doesn't feel so bad. By sticking with $15 or less purchases, then the probable loss in 1 year is only $5... not too horrible.
Old 01-22-11, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Manzana, you can check out region codings on several popular sites. Do a google search for "region free movies" and I think the first one that pops up shows international blus and their status.

As for selling the product, I didn't mean to imply you could trade it in to Amazon. I just meant a lot of buyers on the marketplace don't mind getting Canadian dvds provided it's the exact same release (give or take an UPC).
Old 01-25-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
This doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. Pretty sure I remember the others coming out at around this price and in the US versions. I'll probably wait on buying it anyways since they seem to drop every Black Friday or so and haven't even watched season 3 yet.
Exactly. I picked up the first 3 seasons for $10 each BF week. That's my pain threshold on future sets.
Old 01-25-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I may bite it for $15 or less or i waits 10 more months to get it for $10
Old 01-26-11, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k View Post
Exactly. I picked up the first 3 seasons for $10 each BF week. That's my pain threshold on future sets.
I agree that $10 for Mad Men BD seasons is a no-brainer. The problem is I'm worried that S4 and future seasons won't be $10 on Black Fridays. Why? [Cynic mode on] Because I had just bought the first 3 seasons and it was past my return deadline, so that's why I believe they went on sale so cheap last BF. Since I'm now going to hold off buying future seasons until they are closer to $10, they probably never will be. [Cynic mode off] Hope I'm wrong about that.
Old 01-26-11, 02:00 PM
Cool New Member

Weeds on BD was also $10 each season all the way up to season 6 this last BF, I believe. So, it's still possible they will continue the trend with Mad Men.