Reload this Page >

Bluray deals at Blockbuster

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Bluray deals at Blockbuster

Old 02-10-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bluray deals at Blockbuster

Are people saying Hot Rod on BD is worth ~$30 on eBay now? Weird. I bought that for a few dollars on HD-DVD, and if I saw it on BD for $5, I wouldn't have touched it (but knowing it's worth $30 on eBay would tempt me even though I'm sure all copies of Hot Rod BD have already been bought up precisely to flip them on eBay). Hot Rod was (IMHO) watchable at best, but rather stupid and not particularly funny. When I think that cute girl (Isla Fisher) married Borat... I get shivers up my spine but she gets what she deserves. Given that all of my nearby Blockbuster stores closed, I don't go anywhere near them so I probably won't ever see any of these BD deals. It doesn't sound like their clearance prices are anywhere near HW Video's final week prices where I drove a long way to go to each one because it was hard to pass up $2-$5 BDs and 50c-$1 DVDs.
Old 02-10-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I got $30 each.
Sounds good to me. I wonder how much I could get for an unopened copy.

Originally Posted by Manzana
When I think that cute girl (Isla Fisher) married Borat... I get shivers up my spine but she gets what she deserves. Given that all of my nearby Blockbuster stores closed, I don't go anywhere near them so I probably won't ever see any of these BD deals. It doesn't sound like their clearance prices are anywhere near HW Video's final week prices where I drove a long way to go to each one because it was hard to pass up $2-$5 BDs and 50c-$1 DVDs.
Why? Because she married one of the funniest people in the world? And what does she deserve?
And why are you comparing BBV used prices to another store's closing prices?
Old 02-10-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

...... When I think that cute girl (Isla Fisher) married Borat... I get shivers up my spine but she gets what she deserves. Given that all of my nearby Blockbuster stores closed, I don't go anywhere near them so I probably won't ever see any of these BD deals. It doesn't sound like their clearance prices are anywhere near HW Video's final week prices where I drove a long way to go to each one because it was hard to pass up $2-$5 BDs and 50c-$1 DVDs.
All pretty ridiculous things to say.
If you choose not to go to a store that has a good deal that's kind of silly.
as for clearance and closing sales, no one has the good super low prices until the last days of the sale.
Old 02-10-11, 11:34 AM

Hollywood Video's deals were insane because ALL of the HWV stores were going out of business, so there was nowhere else to ship their product.

BB is only eliminating select stores, which means newer formats like BR will sell at a moderately discounted price at the closing stores to eliminate whatever shipping costs they can, then anything left will be sent out to remaining stores to sell previously viewed.

When all the BBs go under, break out your wallets because we'll all be doing work.
Old 02-10-11, 01:33 PM

Got Hot Rod for $7.50, if I don't like it, I can make my money back, seems like a decent deal. My local store has another copy, too, probably should have bought it.
Old 02-10-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sg86
15% off the total since the store was closing and the girl gave me one of the $9.99 blu-rays for free to try out Blockbuster Online for a month. Normally I don't do that kind of stuff but she hand wrote instructions for me on how to cancel my account as soon as I got home, so what the hell, why not?
I've had BB online for a few years and have tremendous luck with it. i know some people hate the BB but I always get new release movies right away unlike the problem I had with Netflix. At least try it. I found it far better than blind buys that I later regretted.
Old 02-10-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zombeaner
Got Hot Rod for $7.50, if I don't like it, I can make my money back, seems like a decent deal. My local store has another copy, too, probably should have bought it.
Agreed. I saw Hot Rod at a closing store, but didn't buy it. For the next 2 weeks, I went back to that BBV about 4 more visits and it was still there every time. I finally went there today and bought it along with the Kevin Spacey BD 21 for $6.99.

Last edited by darkhawk; 02-10-11 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-10-11, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
Why? Because she married one of the funniest people in the world? And what does she deserve?
And why are you comparing BBV used prices to another store's closing prices?
I'll admit I shouldn't have made that comment about Borat or she gets what she deserves because I've never seen anything with him in it and I have no idea what kind of a person he is. I've just seen his face on the cover for Borat and when I heard that she married him I thought of beauty and the beast. Obviously she looks beyond the surface (unlike most women I've met). And maybe Borat is a very funny guy and looks a lot better when not in his Borat persona. I don't know. All I know is an acquaintance described the movie Borat in detail after watching it, and afterwards I had no desire ever to see it or watch anything with him in it.

Comparing Blockbuster's used DVD prices to HW Video's used DVD prices when both went/are going out of business is totally reasonable and valid. I was just saying the reason I'm not going to go to Blockbuster yet is I haven't heard that their prices are cheap enough (compared to what I expect based on HW Video's liquidation) to justify the extra drive.

sg86 hit the nail on the head. The reason I didn't buy anything at my nearby Blockbuster store closings is they didn't have HW Video-like pricing meant to sell the stuff. They kept the prices very high and then sent the merchandise to a more distant store. When the last stores liquidate, then there may be some awesome deals like HW Video, but the remaining stores may be too far away at that point. (I'm not as cool as Krazy Jason who'll drive for hours to score some deals.)
Old 02-10-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll admit I shouldn't have made that comment about Borat or she gets what she deserves because I've never seen anything with him in it and I have no idea what kind of a person he is. I've just seen his face on the cover for Borat and when I heard that she married him I thought of beauty and the beast. Obviously she looks beyond the surface (unlike most women I've met). And maybe Borat is a very funny guy and looks a lot better when not in his Borat persona. I don't know. All I know is an acquaintance described the movie Borat in detail after watching it, and afterwards I had no desire ever to see it or watch anything with him in it.
Oh, okay. Then I totally understand. That's a completely rational thought process.

Whoever marries these women will get what they deserve.
Old 02-11-11, 01:01 AM

You've had 2.5 years to buy it on Blu-ray. I'm buying every copy I see.
Not only that, hasn't it been cheap as well before? If you really enjoyed the movie then you should have bought it or should I said you should have bought it because it was on sale prices often.
Old 02-11-11, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want Zodiac, but every Blockbuster in my area doesn't have it for sale.
Old 02-11-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Why is Hot Rod out of print already? Paramount must REALLY not want to sell anything. I got it on HD-DVD for about 3 bucks, and there's still tons of those on Ebay for about a dollar that nobody's buying.
Old 02-11-11, 05:48 PM

finally found the fall today, i had been looking for that since the summer. i also picked up a reservoir dogs poster for $0.99
Old 02-11-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You've had 2.5 years to buy it on Blu-ray. I'm buying every copy I see.
Naw, I didn't even know it was ON blu-ray until four months ago. But that's okay. I found it at a store in Dublin, CA, which is going out of business. Not the funniest work by the Lonely Island guys, but it's good enough for under $10.

Originally Posted by Idioteque...
Not only that, hasn't it been cheap as well before? If you really enjoyed the movie then you should have bought it or should I said you should have bought it because it was on sale prices often.
You should have said it clearer! Now I have no idea what my obligation and timeframe for buying movies is!
Old 02-12-11, 08:17 PM

If anyone in the Orlando area is looking for Zodiac, there's one I saw at the Apopka store on Rock Springs Road and Welch Road.

I also bought The Secret In Their Eyes

Last edited by darkhawk; 02-12-11 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 06:58 PM

If anyone can find the Oscar nominated Foreign Film in Blu-ray, A Prophet, would anyone be willing to trade for The Last Station? Another Oscar nominated movie. Both are $16.99 minus discounts. I picked up a second The Last Station by accident.
Old 02-13-11, 07:19 PM

Scored "The Fall" for $7 at the New Bern, NC store. Been looking for a good deal on that movie for a while!
Old 02-13-11, 08:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Why is Hot Rod out of print already? Paramount must REALLY not want to sell anything. I got it on HD-DVD for about 3 bucks, and there's still tons of those on Ebay for about a dollar that nobody's buying.
Paramount has put a lot of DVD and Blu-rays out of print.
Old 02-14-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went going in not looking for Zodiac but scored a copy of it at the BB on rt 46 store in NJ.

I don't remember seeing a copy of Hot Rod though. Guess I can go back and look more thoroughly.
Old 02-14-11, 01:20 PM

There's a movie search field on the blockbuster.com front page that might be useful, although I don't think it distinguishes between "movies available to rent" and "movies for sale".

Do title search-->click on title-->Enter your zip code and click "Check Availability" under In-store-->Click "See All Versions" for each store to see if the Blu-ray version is in stock.
Old 02-14-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that's just for rental copies.
Old 02-14-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even as a jaded Internet user, sometimes it's still possible to come across something so utterly idiotic as to stop one cold:
I'll admit I shouldn't have made that comment about Borat or she gets what she deserves because I've never seen anything with him in it and I have no idea what kind of a person he is. I've just seen his face on the cover for Borat and when I heard that she married him I thought of beauty and the beast.
He looks like this when he's not in character:

He has also played a gay Austrian fashion reporter (Bruno), a French Formula One driver (Talladega Nights), an ignorant, wannabe-Jamaican British b-boy (Ali G Show), a faux-Italian barber (Sweeney Todd), and is slated to play Freddie Mercury in a Queen biopic. (The band, not the English monarch.) It's called ACTING.

You do know that Anthony Hopkins doesn't actually eat people's liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti, right? Egad.
Originally Posted by dino88
Oh, okay. Then I totally understand. That's a completely rational thought process.

Whoever marries these women will get what they deserve.
FLAWLESS VICTORY!
Old 02-14-11, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just made a quick pit stop at BBV before picking up my fiancée for dinner. Was able to buy the lone used copy they had of Hot Rod.
Old 02-15-11, 01:26 AM

Picked up JCVD. It was marked as 6.99, with a 25% discount, so I got it for a little under $6. I forget what else they had at the store I went to but nothing else interested me.
Old 02-15-11, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Even as a jaded Internet user, sometimes it's still possible to come across something so utterly idiotic as to stop one cold:He looks like this when he's not in character:

He has also played a gay Austrian fashion reporter (Bruno), a French Formula One driver (Talladega Nights), an ignorant, wannabe-Jamaican British b-boy (Ali G Show), a faux-Italian barber (Sweeney Todd), and is slated to play Freddie Mercury in a Queen biopic. (The band, not the English monarch.) It's called ACTING.!
You win this time Ricky Booby!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.