Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Star Wars The Complete Saga Blu-Ray for $89.99 @ Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Star Wars The Complete Saga Blu-Ray for $89.99 @ Amazon

I'll eventually pick this up but only at the $60-65 price point.
Old 09-02-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I don't expect it to go much cheaper on Black Friday, but as much as I want to see those deleted scenes, these changes are just pointless.
I'm comparing any possible sales based on how the DVDs did when those first came out, which were no real sales. They also never really did any for the VHS versions either.
Old 09-02-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Yes, because for 34 years, all anyone has been saying about Star Wars is, "Can't Artoo do a better job of hiding?".

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Well I'm not going to argue that. Cause you're not wrong.

Just saying I can find worse things to bitch about Lucas doing. I'll stick with "Han shot first" and now the new "NOOOOOOOOOO".
Old 09-03-11, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Well I'm not going to argue that. Cause you're not wrong.

Just saying I can find worse things to bitch about Lucas doing. I'll stick with "Han shot first" and now the new "NOOOOOOOOOO".
I never cared for the "han shot first" argument, because Han NEVER EVER shot first! He was the only one to get a shot off, period.
So the saying should be, "Greedo never got a shot off" or "greedo was was never that bad of a shot"
Lucas just ruined a bad ass moment in movie history. And now has ruined the introduction of Obi Wan Kenobi, and the final moment of grace of Darth Vader.
Old 09-03-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by indianajmb
I never cared for the "han shot first" argument, because Han NEVER EVER shot first! He was the only one to get a shot off, period.
So the saying should be, "Greedo never got a shot off" or "greedo was was never that bad of a shot"
Lucas just ruined a bad ass moment in movie history. And now has ruined the introduction of Obi Wan Kenobi, and the final moment of grace of Darth Vader.
LOL the krayt dragon yell will only be ruined for me when Lucas actually puts in for it a Willhelm yell.
Old 09-03-11, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
LOL the krayt dragon yell will only be ruined for me when Lucas actually puts in for it a Willhelm yell.
True that would be bad.

The worst thing about the new version, is that it sounds like a 13 year old made it and on top of that, made it to be funny.
Old 09-06-11, 11:27 AM
Cool New Member

Lucas has gotta be the Andy Kaufman of directors, I think he spent so long with people loving him for the trilogy that he said f*ck it, i want to be hated, I wanna make people foam at the mouth and straight f*cking hate me...his amount of changes has gone from wanting to update due to advances in technology to just poking at a wound...he turned the saga into Michael Jacksons *(RIP) face...from tweaking and adjusting to a total wtf....sad thing is, i'll bitch and i'll moan, but i'm still buying that Coke 2 ass version of the saga, and I want the bonus disc so i can enjoy the George Lucas scooby snack he'll throw...damn it to hell...lol
Old 09-06-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

according to over at blu-ray.com the Target ad shows it will be $79.99 there. was expecting lower than that, but those still getting on release day at least will not have to pay as much as once thought now.
Old 09-06-11, 07:19 PM

Are there any pre-order specials other than the Best Buy one?

EDIT: I was ready and willing to pay 90 dollars+tax first day to get this set. Now that it's 80 it just cements that fact.

EDIT2: And now I see Target.com has a same-day bonus.

Last edited by TerryAlexFan; 09-06-11 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-07-11, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by FrmPeru
Lucas has gotta be the Andy Kaufman of directors, I think he spent so long with people loving him for the trilogy that he said f*ck it, i want to be hated, I wanna make people foam at the mouth and straight f*cking hate me...his amount of changes has gone from wanting to update due to advances in technology to just poking at a wound...he turned the saga into Michael Jacksons *(RIP) face...from tweaking and adjusting to a total wtf....sad thing is, i'll bitch and i'll moan, but i'm still buying that Coke 2 ass version of the saga, and I want the bonus disc so i can enjoy the George Lucas scooby snack he'll throw...damn it to hell...lol
Can't stand people like you. You whine and complain about the changes and then say you're buying it anyway. If you don't like it, don't buy it. You'll live. Star Wars is my all-time favorite, but I cancelled my order because I can't stand what Lucas has done.
Old 09-07-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For me, there's so much more good that outweighs the bad that I'm not gonna be passing this up. Whatever, I don't really take Star Wars very seriously anymore...
Old 09-07-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryAlexFan
Are there any pre-order specials other than the Best Buy one?

EDIT: I was ready and willing to pay 90 dollars+tax first day to get this set. Now that it's 80 it just cements that fact.

EDIT2: And now I see Target.com has a same-day bonus.
I hope it'll be $80 at Amazon. They haven't dropped the X-Men disc to the Target and Best Buy price of $22.99 despite my having sent them notifications every day about the lower price on it.
Old 09-07-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
For me, there's so much more good that outweighs the bad that I'm not gonna be passing this up. Whatever, I don't really take Star Wars very seriously anymore...
They only thing that surprises me about these films being modified is that it doesn't happen more often. As someone who was never satisfied with anything I created, I can understand the desire to tweak.
Old 09-07-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
They only thing that surprises me about these films being modified is that it doesn't happen more often. As someone who was never satisfied with anything I created, I can understand the desire to tweak.
How many generation-defining, cultural phenomenon have you created? And are you so shallow as to deny previous versions of your creations to those that love them, even if they aren't what you prefer?
Old 09-07-11, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
How many generation-defining, cultural phenomenon have you created? And are you so shallow as to deny previous versions of your creations to those that love them, even if they aren't what you prefer?
I didn't say I would do it or agreed with it. I said I understand the desire and am shocked it doesn't happen more often. I suspect we will see more of it in the digital age.
Old 09-07-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mean, I tweak the programs I create ad nauseam (ironically to the point of breaking them just as he has) but at least I don't inflict my nonsense on others.
Old 09-07-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cancelled mine as well. I can wait till this dips to $50.
Old 09-07-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Last night, I finally checked out a compilation clip of the new alterations on YouTube. I was willing to make exceptions until I witnessed the infamous "Noooo!" for myself. It really is cringe worthy and I just can't reconcile forking over (even at a discounted rate) any more cash for something that hurts the impact of a scene so severely -- and I'm someone who didn't think it sounded that terrible in theory. I was WRONG. That said, I can see why Lucas (in his warped logic) finds it symmetrical with Episode III -- but having R2 walled up in those rocks is simply the biggest "what the hell" alteration in the history of the series -- and I'm including Greedo shooting first. It actually CREATES a continuity error. So damn pointless.

I just canceled my $64 pre-order at Deep Discount and surprisingly (if you knew how much of a Star Wars freak I am) I don't feel the slightest bit of regret. In examining the bonus features, this series deserves better. They don't even carry over the DVD supplements, or the widely available "From Star Wars to Jedi" documetary. The deleted scenes are already popping up on YouTube and none of them are earth-shattering. They can keep their 90 minutes of "spoofs". Lucas is purposely sitting on scads of material to milk us again, so I'm done until we get something more definitive. I don't believe I've watched the DVD set of the 2004 versions more than twice in seven years anyway... and I didn't even grow up with the unaltered trilogy. My first time experiencing these film was with the special editions in 1997, but I'm growing weary of all the tinkering just like most people.

It really is neat to see the huge flooding of negative reviews on Amazon. Considering it's the largest online retailer, it will be hard for Lucas to marginalize the criticisms when they're getting so much exposure. Another thing that really irked me was George's daughter Katie taking to Twitter to complain that "haters gonna hate. And then haters are going to buy the bluray set and keep complaining" Well this "hater" has probably purchased enough Star Wars swag over the years to put her privileged self through a couple semesters of college, but I'm still sitting this one out.
Old 09-08-11, 08:10 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Is there anyway that all the discussion about the bset can be moved to the HD forum where there is already a lengthy discussion/debate about it?

I keep expecting there to be notification of a price drop etc every time I see it bumped, but then get disappointed when I find out it's just more talk about the set.
Old 09-08-11, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdmagic
is there anyway that all the discussion about the bset can be moved to the hd forum where there is already a lengthy discussion/debate about it?
Nooooooooooooo!!!
Old 09-09-11, 10:42 AM

Does anyone here know the general modus operandi for Amazon's price matches on new releases?

I mean, when should I expect Amazon to match Target's $79.99 price:
1) on Sunday when the print ad is released?
2) on Friday when the Saga is released and it's too late to cancel the order that will be arriving at my doorstep?
3) not at all, or the day after so that the low price guarantee doesn't apply?

I'm hoping for option 1, but I don't know how often that happens. I mean, I know I can always send back the Amazon one for a refund if they don't match the price in time, but I don't know that I want to have/can afford $170 charged to my credit or debit card for a few days.
Old 09-09-11, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by larrythefatcat
Does anyone here know the general modus operandi for Amazon's price matches on new releases?
Amazon seems to be all over the map on price matching. Sometimes its the same day as a competitor, sometimes it's a week later. If I were you, I'd just cancel the pre-order and wait. You can be guaranteed that the price will only go lower as Christmas approaches.

And if you're really patient, you can wait 6 years when Lucas releases the 40th Anniversary Even More Powerful Edition Star Wars Saga with New Surprises! See Ben Kenobi hiding behind Tractor Beam panels! Hear Darth Vadar scream Noooooo! as the Death Star is blown up! Witness the digital conversion of Yoda for all 3 Original Trilogy movies! And more!
Old 09-09-11, 11:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ well there's also the inevitable 3D versions

personally I really don't care about the price over at Amazon, cause I have just enough points to not pay for the 'Pink Floyd:Wish You Were Here' Immersion Box CD release and I hope to have enough by the end of the month to redeem for the 'Dark Side of the Moon' release and those puppies are REALLY expensive (I have an Amazon credit card if anyone's wondering)

Last edited by Giles; 09-09-11 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 11:05 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by larrythefatcat

I mean, when should I expect Amazon to match Target's $79.99 price:
1) on Sunday when the print ad is released?
2) on Friday when the Saga is released and it's too late to cancel the order that will be arriving at my doorstep?
3) not at all, or the day after so that the low price guarantee doesn't apply?

I'm hoping for option 1, but I don't know how often that happens. I mean, I know I can always send back the Amazon one for a refund if they don't match the price in time, but I don't know that I want to have/can afford $170 charged to my credit or debit card for a few days.
Don't count on 1, I would wager 2.
Old 09-09-11, 12:31 PM

looks like Amazon just price matched Target's $79.99 price

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.