Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Star Wars The Complete Saga Blu-Ray for $89.99 @ Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Star Wars The Complete Saga Blu-Ray for $89.99 @ Amazon

Could be price matching FYE.com which has it for 85.49 with free shipping... then again.. maybe it is just a gold box deal...
Old 01-20-11, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recieved a email from amazon a few hours ago, saying they have now announced a release date of Sept 27th 2011 for Star Wars.
And that they upgraded my order to ensure I recieve it on release day.
Old 08-11-11, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sent a lower price alert to Amazon today for DDD sale price of $82.88

http://www.deepdiscount.com/deals_daily-deep-deal
Old 08-12-11, 04:11 PM

New teaser trailer for the Complete Saga! Federal Regulations require me to warn you that this next re-release... is looking pretty good.

No, but seriously, there are a few visual effects that were messed up (that had previously been fine in every iteration of the holy trilogy before the 2004 DVD release and have been terrible ever since) and have now been confirmed as being fixed by this teaser. The main offender is the shot with Vader and Luke's lightsabers crossed in front of Palpatine... it looked TERRIBLE on the DVDs and now it looks freakin' AWESOME!!!
Old 08-13-11, 10:19 PM

And STILL no "Star Wars Holiday Special" being included in this set. Damn!
Old 08-14-11, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Hate the cardboard sleeves, but otherwise the set looks good. I hope Best Buy comes in at a price under $90 and that Amazon matches it. I locked in a $4.50 discount through the Gold box, so any lower will be just gravy.
Old 08-14-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had it as a quick pick pre-order since February or something, but I often am tempted to cancel since I know there will probably be very competitive deals once it comes out.

Not a fan of the sleeve-like packaging either. I've come to accept it as a fact of life for a certain percentage of movie and music purchases these days. But really...if it didn't mean losing bonus features, I'd seriously consider going for the separate sets, if they're in regular cases.
Old 08-14-11, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Hate the cardboard sleeves, but otherwise the set looks good. I hope Best Buy comes in at a price under $90 and that Amazon matches it. I locked in a $4.50 discount through the Gold box, so any lower will be just gravy.
If you REALLY don't like the sleeves (and want images of Star Wars characters on each Blu-ray disc) you can order the UK version from Amazon.co.uk... it's going to be EXACTLY the same in terms of disc content and will most likely be region free PLUS it has plastic trays for each disc. It sounds like a booklet will be included with the UK set with the artwork from each page of the US Blu-ray book format, as well.

I also got the Gold Box discount and I'm hoping for the price to go down $5-10 by release date, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 08-14-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by larrythefatcat
If you REALLY don't like the sleeves (and want images of Star Wars characters on each Blu-ray disc) you can order the UK version from Amazon.co.uk... it's going to be EXACTLY the same in terms of disc content and will most likely be region free PLUS it has plastic trays for each disc. It sounds like a booklet will be included with the UK set with the artwork from each page of the US Blu-ray book format, as well.

I also got the Gold Box discount and I'm hoping for the price to go down $5-10 by release date, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
This is a great tip; I didn't think of this. Basically this is what they did for the Aliens set also.

I may go this route if region coding is confirmed. Only variable is whether some of the extras might be SD PAL in Europe. I'm not PAL-friendly.
Old 08-14-11, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
This is a great tip; I didn't think of this. Basically this is what they did for the Aliens set also.

I may go this route if region coding is confirmed. Only variable is whether some of the extras might be SD PAL in Europe. I'm not PAL-friendly.
AFAIK Blu-ray releases of movies in PAL territories tend to have the SD content in 480i (which is NTSC)... I'm fairly certain that most, if not all, PAL players can easily play NTSC content which is why Blu-ray tends to be much more NTSC-centric.

Also, if the discs end up being region-free, it's even more likely that all non-HD content will be NTSC-friendly.
Old 08-14-11, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I pre-ordered this from bestbuy.com since I had a digital coupon to use. Do they have a similar policy to Amazon's where you pay the lowest price on the release date?
Old 08-15-11, 09:13 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

decided to just go ahead and cancel this for 2 reasons:

1) My birthday is like a week after release so I'm sure I'll get gift cards for somewhere (probably Amazon)

2) I'm sure there's going to be a whole bunch of competitive pricing, so I wouldn't be surprised if this could be had for around $75 come release week (I know BN.COM have it for like $70 right now, but not ordering because of post 1)
Old 08-15-11, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

BTW.. this was reported as being $69.99 @ Barnes & Noble today... Now back to $88 and change...

Really beginning to wonder what the price will actually be @ amazon as the release date gets closer.. and also what deals will be other places...
Old 08-16-11, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu-ray-collect
And STILL no "Star Wars Holiday Special" being included in this set. Damn!
You would think by now Lucas would just give up and embrace it, it would get him even MORE money if he just released it!
Old 08-31-11, 06:22 PM

I know it's really nothing that should cause great surprise, but the Blu-rays (the original trilogy movies, anyway) have been confirmed (via illegal/China/torrent means, btw) to have a lot of BIG changes from previous versions. This is just a post that should go in the "Buyer Beware" column.

Spoiler:
Now with 100% MORE Vader "NOOOOO!!!!!"... that's the big one, atm.

I'm sure most of you have no idea how much Nerd-Rage is being caused by this, but the levels are definitely OVER 9000!!
Old 08-31-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We've heard: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/577...ay-2011-a.html
Old 08-31-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

From the first day this was announced, I completely expected new cuts of all 6 films. Ol' GL just can't stop tinkering.
Old 09-01-11, 12:55 AM

anyone think the UK set will drop to the US$35-40 price range eventually like the Aliens set did?
Old 09-01-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I want this set, I'm intending on holding off until the holidays in order to get better prices and, frankly, I want to see a list of how badly Lucas has butchered the movies. I'm not one of those twerps whose childhood was allegedly raped by the SEs or prequels, but now it appears he's just changing stuff for the sake of changing it.

WTF is Artoo walled up behind rocks? How did he get there?!? Before it made sense; now it's just stupid.
Old 09-01-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Maybe he whipped out those nifty rocket jets from the prequels and somehow maneuvered himself into that hiding spot? I know, I don't get it either.

I have this pre-ordered for $64 from Deep Discount when there was a coupon that stacked with their 25% off sale, but I'm actually on the verge of submitting a cancellation request. I don't expect it to go much cheaper on Black Friday, but as much as I want to see those deleted scenes, these changes are just pointless.
Old 09-01-11, 08:45 PM
Banned

I had it served at the amazon price...85 I think buut cancelled. I can see it dropping at least 20.00 around the holidays if not more.

And yea..stop with the f'ing changes
Old 09-02-11, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
As much as I want this set, I'm intending on holding off until the holidays in order to get better prices and, frankly, I want to see a list of how badly Lucas has butchered the movies. I'm not one of those twerps whose childhood was allegedly raped by the SEs or prequels, but now it appears he's just changing stuff for the sake of changing it.

WTF is Artoo walled up behind rocks? How did he get there?!? Before it made sense; now it's just stupid.
It still makes sense. They wanted it to show Artoo trying to do a better job of hiding.

The fact that they did it in a way that we're all going "How did he get in there?" is a completely different matter.

The idea of what he wanted to change it to makes perfect sense to me.
Old 09-02-11, 09:29 AM

Yeah, I had the Gold Box discount on my pre-order, and I went ahead and cancelled it. I'll probably still buy it at some point in the future, but with these changes, there's no way I'm going to pay that much. I'll wait till it's below $50.
Old 09-02-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
It still makes sense. They wanted it to show Artoo trying to do a better job of hiding.

The fact that they did it in a way that we're all going "How did he get in there?" is a completely different matter.

The idea of what he wanted to change it to makes perfect sense to me.
Yes, because for 34 years, all anyone has been saying about Star Wars is, "Can't Artoo do a better job of hiding?".

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 09-02-11, 10:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Yes, because for 34 years, all anyone has been saying about Star Wars is, "Can't Artoo do a better job of hiding?".
And isn't it great that we've finally reached a point that's it's actually possible to hide R2 behind some rocks? Back in '77 there was no way, the technology just wasn't there. Even when the special editions came out... nope, just not possible. But now, thank God, we can finally fix that nagging problem! Aren't computers great?!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.