Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

The Social Network 2-Disc BD- 16.99 at BestBuy.com

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-10, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Social Network 2-Disc BD- 16.99 at BestBuy.com

Here is a review of The Social Network blu. Hopefully it will clear up the mystery of what is on the discs.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...rk_blu-ray.htm
Old 12-31-10, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Are you fucking serious?

Sorkin is one of the best writers living. Period. Who cares if he's a drug-fueled liberal? It probably makes him a better writer.

[And yes, I pre-ordered from Best Buy for in-store pickup. I'll cancel if Amazon price matches though.]
It's not like he came up with this on his own. There was a book about it which helped him immensely. FYI, I don't know much about his politics nor do I care.
Old 12-31-10, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
It's not like he came up with this on his own. There was a book about it which helped him immensely.
Actually, he was researching for the screenplay while the guy who wrote Accidental Billionaires was writing his book. They interviewed the same people and certainly pulled from the legal depositions - I'm wondering if the great "invented Facebook" line is a Sorkin creation* or something Zuckerberg actual said - but operated more or less independently, though I believe they compared notes. (There was an interview in Creative Screenwriting with Sorkin, but I don't have it handy.) The book came out in July 2009 and they started shooting in October, so there was no way in Hell that Sorkin went to Borders and picked it up to adapt.

In the Time Person of the Year profile of Zuckerberg, he commented about how they took the trouble of finding t-shirts for Jesse Eisenberg that mirrored his actual clothing at the time, but had him drinking appletinis which he'd never had. Also, the girlfriend who dumps him in the opening scene is a fabrication; Zuck's been dating the same girl for ages.

It sucks when movies deviate from reality for no adequate reason. I was listening to the commentary on The Runaways the other night and Joan Jett mentioned that she never wore leather pants IRL like it was shown on the film and she was an executive producer who was on the set all the time during shooting. She couldn't get that fixed?!?
Old 12-31-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Actually, he was researching for the screenplay while the guy who wrote Accidental Billionaires was writing his book. They interviewed the same people and certainly pulled from the legal depositions - I'm wondering if the great "invented Facebook" line is a Sorkin creation* or something Zuckerberg actual said - but operated more or less independently, though I believe they compared notes. (There was an interview in Creative Screenwriting with Sorkin, but I don't have it handy.) The book came out in July 2009 and they started shooting in October, so there was no way in Hell that Sorkin went to Borders and picked it up to adapt.

In the Time Person of the Year profile of Zuckerberg, he commented about how they took the trouble of finding t-shirts for Jesse Eisenberg that mirrored his actual clothing at the time, but had him drinking appletinis which he'd never had. Also, the girlfriend who dumps him in the opening scene is a fabrication; Zuck's been dating the same girl for ages.

It sucks when movies deviate from reality for no adequate reason. I was listening to the commentary on The Runaways the other night and Joan Jett mentioned that she never wore leather pants IRL like it was shown on the film and she was an executive producer who was on the set all the time during shooting. She couldn't get that fixed?!?
Realism is more of a luxury than a necessity. If it works in the film then great, if not then no big deal.
Old 12-31-10, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up -- ordered.

-Tim
Old 12-31-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Realism is more of a luxury than a necessity. If it works in the film then great, if not then no big deal.
While I understand the need for dramatic license, in a time where people think they're actually getting news and information from The Daily Show, when movies seriously differ from reality, the myth becomes the accepted reality.* While whether Joan Jett wore leather pants is trivial, people will believe Mark Zuckerburg started Facebook because his girlfriend dumped him - a theme restated in the very last image of the movie.

* It's like how people think Sarah Palin said, "I can see Russia from my house," when it was Tina Fey on an SNL skit. I've had people use this as a knock on Palin and are surprised when corrected. It's crazy how certain people are in their ignorance.
Old 12-31-10, 03:29 PM

While I understand the need for dramatic license, in a time where people think they're actually getting news and information from The Daily Show, when movies seriously differ from reality, the myth becomes the accepted reality.* While whether Joan Jett wore leather pants is trivial, people will believe Mark Zuckerburg started Facebook because his girlfriend dumped him - a theme restated in the very last image of the movie.

* It's like how people think Sarah Palin said, "I can see Russia from my house," when it was Tina Fey on an SNL skit. I've had people use this as a knock on Palin and are surprised when corrected. It's crazy how certain people are in their ignorance.

Even crazier watching people who pride themselves on thier stupidity bitch about other people being ignorant. You REALLY wanna claim Palin as an example of that? The woman is a liar and an idiot who mixes half truths with fiction in almost every sentence. The fact that she is the poster child for brain dead conservatives is a testament to how far down the toilet that side of the spectrum has become. Its funny, conservatism used to be the side of intellectuals and intelligence. Now its the side of willful ignorance and stupidity. Such a shame

And by the way, she may have never said "i can see Russia from ym house", but she absolutely did say she could see Russia from Alaska, and that made her an expert on U.S.-Russia relations. Maybe you should look in the mirror when you talka bout people being ignorant from here on out and get to know some real facts. but I dont expect you to since modern day conservatives, such an insult to what that name used to mean, pride themselves on living in a fantasy land where facts don't matter.
Old 12-31-10, 06:33 PM
Cool New Member

People get more news and information from the Daily Show in 30 minutes than from an entire day's worth of Faux News. Enough said.

But if you must continue your political rants, please do so elsewhere.

All I care about is thanking the OP for posting this great deal for a terrific movie, pre-ordered.
Old 12-31-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which part of the bolded part was unclear?
I'm not saying he's a bad writer. I'm saying he's an arrogant a-hole. That he's a good writer is DESPITE his liberalism, not because of it. Liberalism is a mental illness that leads sufferers to have delusions of grandeur and superiority, thus their constant declarations of being brilliant and anyone who isn't like them being stupid..
This is a DVD Bargains board. Take your fucking politics over to FoxNation or BigHollywood where you can fit in with the other tools.
Old 12-31-10, 08:30 PM

Don't usually pre-order from Best Buy, but for $16.99 with free shipping, it's a great deal. Thanks!
Old 12-31-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

still hopeing that amazon price matches this.
Old 01-01-11, 11:53 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

pre-ordered to pick up for $7.xx with $10 RZ. nice deal!
Old 01-01-11, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
They couldn't fit that on a single BR disc? Oh yeah, I forgot, everyone saying BR was amazing because it had so much more space than it's competition completely forgot that they'll split stuff up just to make it seem like more discs is somehow special.

Seriously though, I liked it but only enough to watch maybe once more and that isn't enough to buy.
Will you HD-DVD proselytizers get off the ranting over that lost cause? Honestly, it's getting old. We live in the age of blu. Get over it.
Old 01-01-11, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by filmsoncon
this is a dvd bargains board. Take your fucking politics over to foxnation or bighollywood where you can fit in with the other tools.
+1
Old 01-01-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think anyone really thinks this. Maybe they think he did that first face mash up bc she dumped him, but the idea for FB came from thinking bigger...or stealing the idea from the twins.

You mean like 'Death Panels'?
Old 01-01-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeesh. Love all the angry liberals sneering that this isn't a political board while spewing the tropes and memes they all share to howl down the inconvenient truths of their failed ideology. Also like how in all piling on and barking like the herd animals you are, you're continuing making this a political thread when I was done commenting. Oh, that's right, 100 liberals posting their views is OK; one conservative expressing their opinion is forbidden. Love the hypocrisy.

Just because they aren't called "death panels" in so many words doesn't mean the rationing boards aren't going to be determining who lives or dies based on economics. Look at who Obama recess appointed to run things who is an outspoken admirer of the UK's system which is collapsing. You guys can scream "Faux News" and "death panels" and "GTFO" all you want, but it doesn't change the FACTS.

BTW, Big Hollywood sucks ass. Most of the writers and almost all of the commenters come off as the stereotype of what HuffPoo or Koz Kidz think conservatives would sound like. John Nolte in particular sucks. He's a joke. That you guys think I belong there bespeaks your narrow view of those who think for themselves instead of parroting what Keith Olbermann tells you.

My final statement here: This is a good deal on a very good movie with a very good script by a reprehensible, drug-addicted, hate-monger with a lot of mooing admirers on this board.
Old 01-01-11, 04:21 PM

I'll make sure to add you to my ignore list.

Thanks for the heads up on the BB deal, first time I'll be there in months. I hope Fincher gets the Oscar, even if it doesn't get Best Picture.
Old 01-01-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CharlieK
I don't think anyone really thinks this. Maybe they think he did that first face mash up bc she dumped him, but the idea for FB came from thinking bigger...or stealing the idea from the twins.
He was never dumped by a girlfriend leading to Facemash. Slate's profile on Sorkin's fabrications states, "The half-truths begin with the movie's opening scene....in Sorkin's mythologizing, provides the emotional underpinnings for the birth of Facebook. A spurned geek seeking girls and status launches a photo-ranking site that morphs into a social-networking site, giving him the standing online that he never had in the physical world.

While this fantasy works nicely on the big screen, it's pretty much hooey. Counter to its depiction in The Social Network, the real Facemash included photos of both men and women—a fact that cuts against the depiction of Zuckerberg as a horny dude out for revenge. As for the notion that Zuckerberg was scorned by a girlfriend, Sorkin's source material appears to be the blog the Facebook founder kept while coding Facemash. In the journal, Zuckerberg wrote, "Jessica Alona is a bitch." The Social Network changes Jessica Alona to Erica Albright, the supposed girlfriend (played by Rooney Mara) who dumps Zuckerberg at the beginning of the movie. It's unclear, however, that the real Jessica Alona was Zuckerberg's girlfriend or that they had any kind of relationship at all—she's never come forward and no reporter has ever interviewed her on the record or seemingly even tracked her down."

Also, as this Harvard Crimson article says, "The site was created entirely by Zuckerberg over the last week in October, after a friend gave him the idea."

You guys should try some independent thinking instead of living in the echo chamber where you think you know it all, but just know what you've been told by other people who think they know it all, but just know what they've been told.

Facts: 1. Fiction: 0.
Old 01-01-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeesh. Love all the angry liberals sneering that this isn't a political board while spewing the tropes and memes they all share to howl down the inconvenient truths of their failed ideology. Also like how in all piling on and barking like the herd animals you are, you're continuing making this a political thread when I was done commenting. Oh, that's right, 100 liberals posting their views is OK; one conservative expressing their opinion is forbidden. Love the hypocrisy.

Just because they aren't called "death panels" in so many words doesn't mean the rationing boards aren't going to be determining who lives or dies based on economics. Look at who Obama recess appointed to run things who is an outspoken admirer of the UK's system which is collapsing. You guys can scream "Faux News" and "death panels" and "GTFO" all you want, but it doesn't change the FACTS.

BTW, Big Hollywood sucks ass. Most of the writers and almost all of the commenters come off as the stereotype of what HuffPoo or Koz Kidz think conservatives would sound like. John Nolte in particular sucks. He's a joke. That you guys think I belong there bespeaks your narrow view of those who think for themselves instead of parroting what Keith Olbermann tells you.

My final statement here: This is a good deal on a very good movie with a very good script by a reprehensible, drug-addicted, hate-monger with a lot of mooing admirers on this board.
You're so adorable when you rant. The last thing you posted was political and you forgot to write "I'm done commenting" so forgive me for not picking up on that. And, finally, you do come off as the stereotype of what HuffPoo or Koz Kidz think conservatives sound like.
Old 01-01-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He was never dumped by a girlfriend leading to Facemash. Slate's profile on Sorkin's fabrications states, "The half-truths begin with the movie's opening scene....in Sorkin's mythologizing, provides the emotional underpinnings for the birth of Facebook. A spurned geek seeking girls and status launches a photo-ranking site that morphs into a social-networking site, giving him the standing online that he never had in the physical world.

While this fantasy works nicely on the big screen, it's pretty much hooey. Counter to its depiction in The Social Network, the real Facemash included photos of both men and women—a fact that cuts against the depiction of Zuckerberg as a horny dude out for revenge. As for the notion that Zuckerberg was scorned by a girlfriend, Sorkin's source material appears to be the blog the Facebook founder kept while coding Facemash. In the journal, Zuckerberg wrote, "Jessica Alona is a bitch." The Social Network changes Jessica Alona to Erica Albright, the supposed girlfriend (played by Rooney Mara) who dumps Zuckerberg at the beginning of the movie. It's unclear, however, that the real Jessica Alona was Zuckerberg's girlfriend or that they had any kind of relationship at all—she's never come forward and no reporter has ever interviewed her on the record or seemingly even tracked her down."

Also, as this Harvard Crimson article says, "The site was created entirely by Zuckerberg over the last week in October, after a friend gave him the idea."

You guys should try some independent thinking instead of living in the echo chamber where you think you know it all, but just know what you've been told by other people who think they know it all, but just know what they've been told.

Facts: 1. Fiction: 0.
First, you said that other post was your final statement. Why all the lies?

Second, it is a big, Hollywood movie - and a very entertaining one by your own admission - not a documentary. I don't think any reasonable person would take anything in the movie as gospel. All your postings about the discrepancies between the movie and real life are fine. I'm sure they're right. I know that the screenplay and the book didn't have any interviews with Zuckerberg, so really how accurate can it be? A lot of it was based off court transcripts, so I guess there's some level there, but still. The break-up impetus was bullshit. Fine. Who cares? It was a great way to get the story started and that opening scene is one that gets talked about the most, so I'm glad it's in there.

You're really getting worked up over nothing with all the insults. Something to be said for civil discourse, you know.

And finally, how does you providing links equal the independent thinking you wish to see in others? Aren't you just parroting what someone you agree with wrote? If that last post really was your final statement, I'll understand you not responding to this.
Old 01-01-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No, it's more like 0 liberals and 1 conservative. No one was discussing politics until you came in here looking for a fight. Fucking troll.
Old 01-01-11, 06:10 PM

Haha! What a doof! Posting this kinda shit in a bargains thread...
Old 01-01-11, 07:10 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
Haha! What a doof! Posting this kinda shit in a bargains thread...
Especially in a "blu"ray forum
Old 01-01-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That was a weird non-sequitur from Blu Ray bargains into politics, including an exaggerated stereotyping of an opposing political party.
Old 01-01-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anywhoo........

Since I just pre-ordered this, I bet Amazon will price-match it within 24 hours.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.