Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Criterion BBS Story 50% at bn.com + discounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion BBS Story 50% at bn.com + discounts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I finally got the C3 code to work, but I had to abandon the AAA discount, so I went thru Discover and got my %10 cash back along with %15 code.

Thanks
Yeah, they seem to have disabled the stacking of discounts like AAA with coupon codes a little while back. So you pretty much have to go with either coupon or AAA, whichever is greater.
Old 12-24-10, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
This set only represents a sliver of that era. To get a far better sense of it, seek out the documentary Easy Riders, Raging Bulls- which can currently be had for under $7 new from 3 different Amazon Marketplace sellers. I'm sure the book it's based on is even better.
I haven't seen the documentary you speak of, but I can tell you that the book, while entertaining in parts, is a tabloid-journalistic approach to the subject, fascinated much more with the peccadilloes of the players, rather than being a serious, valuable examination of the films and the time in which they were made. The author, Peter Biskind, seems much more interested in digging up dirt and seeing how bad he can make the "film school brats" look. There are plenty of other good book-length pieces that cover this era, such as Robin Wood's classic HOLLYWOOD FROM VIETNAM TO REAGAN, that I would argue are much better companions to the BBS set.

So, in short, the book is a trashy, inessential, and poor representation of the era. I haven't seen the box set yet (mine is in the mail), but I have seen most of the films within and, knowing the care and effort that go into just about every Criterion release, buying the entire set is a no-brainer to me.
Old 12-24-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
DVDBEAVER suggests that the Last Picture Show is the least impressive of the releases on Blu-Ray so you would be better off just getting the fine DVD single disc release and enjoy it on an upscaling DVD player.

Further, I think The Last Picture Show is a jewel that I watch every couple of years. It is terrific filmmaking with an interesting story and a great cast.

Other than that I agree with you, it's not a rousing crowd pleaser. But then again, if you want that the Criterion offerings are rarely the place to be.
Yeah, the caps I've seen of LPS are fairly underwhelming. But I do have a fairly large front projection set up, and often even the subtler distinctions translate. FEP though looks to be a knockout and I did want to see that.
But don't misunderstand me, LPS is the only title I really want, but most of the others I'm still interested in seeing- even if only one time. Everything except Easy Rider and Drive... actually. I just don't expect to embrace the others the way I did LPS, but then again who knows. That's the potential magic of blind buys.

Prior to the reviews showing up, the film I was most interested in seeing here was A Safe Place. I like Tuesday Weld, and she often chose interesting projects. But from most of the reviews, ASP sounds absolutely excruciating

Jon, I haven't seen the doc in a few years, but I don't remember seeing much criticism of it as being too tabloidy or overly concerned with gossip. I don't remember it being like that. It seemed to be a great primer on the whole era from the post demise of the studio system to the rise of the summer blockbusters. The thing is, this is the auteur era we're talking about- which is to say films more dependent and driven by individual visions rather than the made by committee/demographic research approach. I think in that context, getting into more personal (tabloid) information does become more relevant because it's personal issues that will influence an artists visions and preoccupations. But I haven't read it, so I can't say one way or the other.
I'll keep the other title in mind next time I'm in a good used bookstore.

_________

Here's the DVDTalk review link- reading Stuart's review, it does seem to be more salacious than I remember. But like Stuart, I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 12-24-10 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-24-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Other than that I agree with you, it's not a rousing crowd pleaser. But then again, if you want that the Criterion offerings are rarely the place to be.
Why the very idea. Are you suggesting that SALO would not help celebrate a joyful Christmas at home and hearth with Grandma and Grandpa? Remember: Good will toward man.

Criterion is the merriest place on Earth!
Old 12-24-10, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
The period in time covered by this set is, arguably, my favorite in all of American cinema and represents a period of seemingly unfettered creativity in Hollywood-sanctioned films, one that had not occurred before and has not occurred since. Regardless of whether you love all the films or not, the set, with its bevy of bonus features and generous booklet, would be an excellent education piece as to why this period in American film is important.

I don't really want to push my opinions too hard, but for the record, I think two of the films in the set (Five Easy Pieces and The Last Picture Show) are masterpieces and, if forced to choose with a gun to my head, I'd probably pick them as the two best films of the 1970s. Easy Rider is a very good film also, although I'm not as convinced of its timelessness as I am of the other two. But I have great affection for "road pictures" of this era, and films that approach the counterculture in various ways. I would say that these three films alone, on Criterion-quality Blu-ray, plus all the extras in the set, are easily worth the 50-odd dollars you can get it for at this reduced price.

Opinions on the other films in the box are more divided so it's hard to say how one might react to them. Again, I think if you approach them as part of an education into this particular cinematic aesthetic, you'll find them interesting even if you don't like all of them.

There's my two cents. Hope it helps.
Thanks, it certainly does help. I'm interested in the history behind films and, while I consider myself knowledgeable about film movements, this is one that I know about (from books), but have only explored a handful of American films that fit the category.

The extras included in the set seem interesting in their own right and I'm looking forward to exploring them. Still not sure if I'll pick this up or not, but I'm leaning towards it.

I'd be more inclined to talk people out of buying the set. I could think of many more ways to put $58 to use on well crafted films that are also entertaining. I'm buying the set primarily to get Last Picture Show- but even that one isn't a rousing crowd pleaser, or something I'm going to want to see very often.

I think a lot of people, including myself, that blind buy this are going to walk away admiring the idea of most of the films rather than actually enjoying them as entertainment.
Thanks, Paul. It's good to get feedback from two different perspectives and I'm trying to read up a bit more about them when making an informed decision.

Entertainment is a subjective term, of course, and I find introspective films to be the most entertaining (usually) for me. I don't like LOTR, Indiana Jones, etc., but I love Bergman, Fellini and Godard.

I'm still on the fence about the set, but I appreciate the feedback from both of you.

Last edited by CardiffGiant; 12-24-10 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-24-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
Entertainment is a subjective term, of course, and I find introspective films to b the most entertaining (usually) for me. I don't like LOTR, Indiana Jones, etc., but I love Bergman, Fellini and Godard.
In that case, I would go for it. It's a pretty safe bet at least three of the films will be right up your alley.

$52 before tax or any other discounts beyond the coupon, is a hell of a deal for a $125 set. And who knows if the Criterion sales will continue at B&N the way they have. A lot of things can change in 6 months.
Old 12-24-10, 11:58 AM

Jon, I haven't seen the doc in a few years, but I don't remember seeing much criticism of it as being too tabloidy or overly concerned with gossip. I don't remember it being like that. It seemed to be a great primer on the whole era from the post demise of the studio system to the rise of the summer blockbusters. The thing is, this is the auteur era we're talking about- which is to say films more dependent and driven by individual visions rather than the made by committee/demographic research approach. I think in that context, getting into more personal (tabloid) information does become more relevant because it's personal issues that will influence an artists visions and preoccupations.
Again, I haven't seen the documentary, but I have read the book that it shares its title with, and, as a book, frankly, I thought it was a p.o.s. and not a good representation or primer for the era, unless one is more interested in learning what an egotistical, chauvinist ass _____ (fill in the blank: Friedkin, Coppola, Hopper, Rafelson, Schrader, etc.) was, ad nauseum. It shouldn't be surprising to learn then that so many of Biskind's sources were the ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, or ex-lovers of the filmmakers. My scathing opinion of Biskind's style here and in his subsequent books is not unique. There is no serious or credible examination of the period in social or artistic terms. It's a quick, easy read, yes, but it's junk, not much different from what magazines like People do every week, except that it deals with Scorsese and Coppola and not Spears and Lohan. As I said, if you want some substantive print material on the subject, look at Wood's HOLLYWOOD FROM VIETNAM TO REAGAN, Kolker's THE CINEMA OF LONELINESS, or Geoff King's NEW HOLLYWOOD CINEMA: AN INTRODUCTION.

As far as "auteur era," surely you don't believe that the auteur concept begins and ends here, do you? I agree that there is a place to inject some of the personal lives of the artists into the discussion, but not at the expense of, or in place of, an actual discussion of the films themselves and the larger social context in which they were made. Biskind's purpose would seem to be at odds with this, which is to say that, based on my reading, he was chiefly concerned with telling unsavory stories about the people to further his rather simplistic thesis that if not for their overall avarice, sense of import, and weakness of character, Friedkin, Coppola, etc. would have ruled Hollywood for much longer and we would have been spared the subsequent era of the producer (Simpson, Bruckheimer, Silver, etc.).
Old 12-24-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Why the very idea. Are you suggesting that SALO would not help celebrate a joyful Christmas at home and hearth with Grandma and Grandpa? Remember: Good will toward man.

Criterion is the merriest place on Earth!

I stand corrected.
Old 12-24-10, 01:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bit. No way of knowing if we'll see another Criterion Sale at BN. I got 8% coming back to me via ****** as well.
Old 12-24-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even if the sales continue in store, they may clamp down on coupons. Right now, $52 is awful close to what the cost would be at 50% off + 10% member discount + $5 coupon.
We're talking a $1 difference. I'm sure someone somewhere would be able to finagle another $5 off somehow, but this is a more than satisfactory discount to me.
Old 12-25-10, 12:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since Barnes & Noble began their semi-annual Criterion sales, I've been putting off most Criterion purchases until the next sale, but this deal and the Oshima Eclipse deal earlier this year were too good to wait on, especially since there's no guarantee that another sale will occur. You might save a few dollars (or not) with a more favorable coupon during the sale, but I decided not to take the chance.
Old 12-25-10, 01:09 PM

Even if the sales continue in store, they may clamp down on coupons. Right now, $52 is awful close to what the cost would be at 50% off + 10% member discount + $5 coupon.
We're talking a $1 difference. I'm sure someone somewhere would be able to finagle another $5 off somehow, but this is a more than satisfactory discount to me.
All good points but using a 15 or 20% coupon during the sale is better than using a $5 off coupon. I'll wait... there have been several opportunities to get this at about 50% off already... I'll wait for the next sale (if there is one) or get is somewhere else later. I'm fairly confident this can be had in the future for under $50. I have too much to watch anyway at the moment.
Old 12-26-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anyone know if this deal is valid in store? tryin to cut back on the cc use
Old 12-26-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Slave2Blu
I'm fairly confident this can be had in the future for under $50.
Under $50 before tax was my goal and I accomplished it on this deal. It was $53 after coupon but I get 10% back from Discover.
Old 12-26-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone else gotten a "shipment delayed" e-mail on this?

I don't know if it is just because the of the holiday, but I'm a little concerned that this might be another order that gets canceled for no reason.
Old 12-26-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg
Again, I haven't seen the documentary, but I have read the book that it shares its title with, and, as a book, frankly, I thought it was a p.o.s. and not a good representation or primer for the era, unless one is more interested in learning what an egotistical, chauvinist ass _____ (fill in the blank: Friedkin, Coppola, Hopper, Rafelson, Schrader, etc.) was, ad nauseum. It shouldn't be surprising to learn then that so many of Biskind's sources were the ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, or ex-lovers of the filmmakers. My scathing opinion of Biskind's style here and in his subsequent books is not unique. There is no serious or credible examination of the period in social or artistic terms. It's a quick, easy read, yes, but it's junk, not much different from what magazines like People do every week, except that it deals with Scorsese and Coppola and not Spears and Lohan. As I said, if you want some substantive print material on the subject, look at Wood's HOLLYWOOD FROM VIETNAM TO REAGAN, Kolker's THE CINEMA OF LONELINESS, or Geoff King's NEW HOLLYWOOD CINEMA: AN INTRODUCTION.

As far as "auteur era," surely you don't believe that the auteur concept begins and ends here, do you? I agree that there is a place to inject some of the personal lives of the artists into the discussion, but not at the expense of, or in place of, an actual discussion of the films themselves and the larger social context in which they were made. Biskind's purpose would seem to be at odds with this, which is to say that, based on my reading, he was chiefly concerned with telling unsavory stories about the people to further his rather simplistic thesis that if not for their overall avarice, sense of import, and weakness of character, Friedkin, Coppola, etc. would have ruled Hollywood for much longer and we would have been spared the subsequent era of the producer (Simpson, Bruckheimer, Silver, etc.).
Completely agree with all of this. Well said, Jon.
Old 12-26-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Another one to add to the ever growing collection.
Old 12-26-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got an email stating that my order has been delayed. Guess a lot of folks bit on this.
Old 12-26-10, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Completely agree with all of this. Well said, Jon.
Glad to hear it, Professor!
Old 12-26-10, 05:37 PM

Got the bluray set for $53.11. Great deal!
Old 12-26-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mikelowry
Got the bluray set for $53.11. Great deal!
Did the same. Was hoping to get this for Christmas, but at this price, I don't mind grabbing it for myself (besides, I didn't hurt too much this Christmas either).
Old 12-26-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how good is B&N with shipping?
Old 12-26-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If what you order is in stock and isn't delayed you usually get your order in just a few days.

If it is on backorder and gets delayed then it depends on when they get more stock in. There have been times I have had to wait a month, and multiple months, for an order to finally ship out and get to me.
Old 12-26-10, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the tip, pathman. Put in an order for one today.
Old 12-26-10, 10:21 PM

Really liking this set so far. Easy Rider is great and I've been watching some of the videos from Head over and over: "Daddy's Song" (featuring Davy Jones & Toni Basil) and "Can You Dig It". The rest of the film I can take or leave, really. Looking forward to digging into the rest of the set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.