Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by jwstl
I believe it was discovered that when Amazon is out of stock they default to the lowest Prime eligible Marketplace seller.
Well I maybe sleeping walking today but if you click on the 30NEW Amazon has it in stock but takes an additional 9 days to process
Old 04-13-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have told myself over and over to wait until Christmas to buy my blu's as they will all probably be MUCH cheaper then now; but thanks to this thead I have just spent over $100.00.

Grrrrrr I need to stay out of here.
Old 04-13-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: "More Buying Choices".

As I've mentioned before — not that I expect anyone to actually try to read more than the last page or two of this thread — the problem is that when Amazon lists a third party seller as the primary source, I can't link directly to the "real" Amazon listing in "More Buying Choices". When I try, it defaults to the main page. All I can do is flag it and hope that people here can find the listing they want. Yes, it's a PITA, but what can one do?

Anyway, I do expect that those new to this thread will have difficulty with this stuff so be nice...
Old 04-13-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Timber
Damn the Twilight movies are still too expensive.
I agree. I've been utterly baffled at how the Twilight movies have remained high in price for years. It is almost as if the studio or retailers have determined that they can stick it to the predominantly female fanbase of the series 'cause they'll buy at any price. I presume that they still sell well enough or the price would have dropped to clear inventory by now.
Old 04-13-11, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
I agree. I've been utterly baffled at how the Twilight movies have remained high in price for years. It is almost as if the studio or retailers have determined that they can stick it to the predominantly female fanbase of the series 'cause they'll buy at any price. I presume that they still sell well enough or the price would have dropped to clear inventory by now.
Target.com had the Eclipse Blu for $10 in January. Paired with an $8 off Red Plum coupon, the total with shipping was less than $5. No idea why the price was that low.
Old 04-13-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
Re: "More Buying Choices".

As I've mentioned before — not that I expect anyone to actually try to read more than the last page or two of this thread — the problem is that when Amazon lists a third party seller as the primary source, I can't link directly to the "real" Amazon listing in "More Buying Choices". When I try, it defaults to the main page. All I can do is flag it and hope that people here can find the listing they want. Yes, it's a PITA, but what can one do?

Anyway, I do expect that those new to this thread will have difficulty with this stuff so be nice...
Thanks Lizard I'm not new to this thread but I must admit I fly through it looking for your posts with the hyperlinks to bargain glory. So for that I am guilty.
Old 04-13-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I have told myself over and over to wait until Christmas to buy my blu's as they will all probably be MUCH cheaper then now; but thanks to this thead I have just spent over $100.00.

Grrrrrr I need to stay out of here.
Yeah there are some titles I'm holding off on for cheaper prices, but there's been quite a lot of good prices lately. I have to add up my damage, but I've probably dropped over $300 easily in the last 2-3 weeks.

I remember last year there were two periods when a lot of good deals seemed to emerge: from around April or May until July, and then of course from Black Friday until New Year's or so.
Old 04-13-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Lots of Blu-rays nowadays do not have Security Stickers.
Does anyone know why they stopped putting security stickers on. Seems it would encourage repackaging of used/opened merchandise.
Old 04-13-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably cause thieves don't own Blu-ray players.
Old 04-13-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Because they don't prevent theft it just makes it harder for person that actually paid for it to get into it. A razor cuts through the security sticker just as easily as the shrink wrap.
Old 04-13-11, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
I keep them in my cart as my mother likes them, and asked me to pick them up on the cheap for her.

I can't believe they haven't dropped below $18
Best Buy has them on sale for $16.99 each.
Old 04-13-11, 09:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Does anyone know why they stopped putting security stickers on. Seems it would encourage repackaging of used/opened merchandise.
The cost to manufacture Blu-rays has dropped significantly (as has the price), so they don't feel the need to 'protect' them as much. Fine by me. I hate taking off 3 freaking stickers.
Old 04-14-11, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
IMO, avoid pieceofmindmedia/pieceofmindbooks/sourcemedie/noram or whatever name(s) they use now as they have in the past been known for this on more occasions than could be explained by accidents.

With Amazon' lack of quality control measures for third party and fulfillment sellers, buying from a trusted seller is crucial for anyone wanting definite new items.
Old 04-14-11, 03:16 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by abintra
IMO, avoid pieceofmindmedia/pieceofmindbooks/sourcemedie/noram or whatever name(s) they use now as they have in the past been known for this on more occasions than could be explained by accidents.

With Amazon' lack of quality control measures for third party and fulfillment sellers, buying from a trusted seller is crucial for anyone wanting definite new items.
why avoid them? I've shopped with them for years. they repackage ALL media. (except if it doesn't come in original case ). Walmart repackages their exclusives many times .... should we avoid them??? same with Best buy. they're very reliable sellers with great feedback and great customer service. if anything goes wrong of the disc doesn't work the replace it. just because it's shrinkwrapped doesn't make it a bad product unless your crazily OCD where everything MUST be straight from the factory (and then of course you're buying from a 3rd party anyways so that defies logic )
Old 04-14-11, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure what you mean exactly (I'm presuming my comments were inferred towards used listings?) but yes I am OCD enough that when I purchase items listed as new that I do so with the intention that they are genuine factory sealed and are not previously opened or used items that have been re-sealed and sold as new (as are sites like Amazon/ebay/half condition guidelines or else anyone could go by a shrink wrap machine and start sealing their like new items and list them as new).
Old 04-14-11, 06:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Isny
Thanks for the heads up
Old 04-14-11, 07:42 AM

These are the guy last year that could not count to 2/6/7 and where I had to send back every TV set we bought in the month of Nov/Dec of 2010. Now that was only open sets. If the set was closed it was all good.
Old 04-14-11, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by wormraper
why avoid them? I've shopped with them for years. they repackage ALL media. (except if it doesn't come in original case ). Walmart repackages their exclusives many times .... should we avoid them??? same with Best buy. they're very reliable sellers with great feedback and great customer service. if anything goes wrong of the disc doesn't work the replace it. just because it's shrinkwrapped doesn't make it a bad product unless your crazily OCD where everything MUST be straight from the factory (and then of course you're buying from a 3rd party anyways so that defies logic )
They need to learn to count to "2"(6/7).
Old 04-14-11, 09:13 AM

Not sure what you mean exactly (I'm presuming my comments were inferred towards used listings?) but yes I am OCD enough that when I purchase items listed as new that I do so with the intention that they are genuine factory sealed and are not previously opened or used items that have been re-sealed and sold as new (as are sites like Amazon/ebay/half condition guidelines or else anyone could go by a shrink wrap machine and start sealing their like new items and list them as new).
I agree with you. If I'm buying something presented as "new" then I expect it to be unopened and factory sealed. If it's been opened and re-sealed, then it's not new. (OCD has nothing to do with it and that's insulting.) Re-sealed or not, used is used. I have no issues with anyone that's happy with buying used, that's your prerogative, and if the deals right I'll buy used. I'm saying if something is used, sell it as used and not disguise it as new and sell it as such.
Old 04-14-11, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza
I agree with you. If I'm buying something presented as "new" then I expect it to be unopened and factory sealed. If it's been opened and re-sealed, then it's not new. (OCD has nothing to do with it and that's insulting.) Re-sealed or not, used is used. I have no issues with anyone that's happy with buying used, that's your prerogative, and if the deals right I'll buy used. I'm saying if something is used, sell it as used and not disguise it as new and sell it as such.
Sometime back in the 80s when packs of cards used to be wax packs. Card dealer of that time used to open them, take out the star cards, white glue them back and sell them as new. Maybe not the samething but still the same. If its new it should be new. OCD or not.

I just no longer buy anything used from Amazon anymore. Even if the price is 50% below. To me it's just not worth the time. As the top sellers can get away with doing what they wish. On the other hand. Some of the top sellers do sell used discs that are new. It's a crap shoot.
Old 04-14-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Previous lists:
4-13-11,4-11-11, 4-10-11, 4-9-11, 4-8-11, 4-7-11, 4-6-11, 4-5-11, 4-4-11, 4-3-11, 4-1-11, 3-31-11, 3-30-11, 3-29-11, 3-28-11, 3-27-11, 3-26-11, 3-25-11, 3-24-11, 3-23-11, 3-22-11, 3-21-11, 3-20-11, 3-18-11, 3-17-11, 3-16-11, 3-15-11, 3-14-11, 3-13-11,
[Prices may have changed since titles were posted. Or not.]

Here are today's New Lows:

The Yards (Pre-order) $10.99

Shadows and Lies (Pre-order) $14.99

Eden of the East: The King of Eden (Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Pre-order) $19.99
Black Death (Pre-order) $19.99

Blitz (Pre-order) $26.99
White Material (The Criterion Collection) $26.99
Somewhere (Pre-order) $26.99

The Twilight Zone: Season 4 (1963) (Pre-order) $59.99

Bambi (Two-Disc Diamond Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging) (1942) $21.99

Last edited by lizard; 04-14-11 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drq2
They need to learn to count to "2"(6/7).
I've never learned how to count to "2"(6/7), so I can't really blame them. Can anyone here count to "2"(6/7)? I'm not even sure where to start. "1"(B/9)?
Old 04-14-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

So I take it none of you guys shop at Gamestop...
Old 04-14-11, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
So I take it none of you guys shop at Gamestop...
No, then again I have not had to pay for a game since 1991. I have heard about them, seen them, but never been inside of one.
Old 04-14-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The cost to manufacture Blu-rays has dropped significantly (as has the price), so they don't feel the need to 'protect' them as much. Fine by me. I hate taking off 3 freaking stickers.
I was just wondering if anybody knew from the studios standpoint why they did this. I don't care if they have one or not. But it does make it easier to sell used/bootleg copies and just shrinkwrap them.

+1. the prices on Amazon Marketplace for some items in "Like New" condition is 10-25% the price of something that is sealed. If you took a copy of some DVDs and just took off the shrink wrap you could lose 75% of the value on Amazon. Some dealers repackage now and I expect some will do it even moreso in the future. As has been mentioned peaceofmindmedia does it. Though if you catch them they are quick to make it right, but how many people don't even pay attention.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.