Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Old 01-04-11, 06:42 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by Lance_G
Forbidden Planet dropped to $13.99
Not surprised that it dropped.. the a few of the main actors did recently too.

Too soon?

Leslie and Anne.
Old 01-04-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm wondering if I should wait for further drops on THX-1138 and Forbidden Planet, but it's taken forever for them to even get down to $13.99.
i'm thinking about it too...might just pick up one of them.

wish BOOGIE NIGHTS would drop down to MAGNOLIA's price
Old 01-04-11, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
To be honest, it's not really an attempt to double-dip. They don't expect consumers that bought a blu-ray last year to buy the new version. However, what it is, is a blatant attempt to put out another much alike product with a different UPC code. Why is that important to them? Simple. The studio gets 100 percent of revenue at FULL retail price for the first two weeks for every 'new' release. A new UPC = new release. Even after the first two weeks their cut of the revenue is better than the older release that has been out for many weeks. Thus they get more money for just repackaging the video.

Now, if the merchant's cut is still better than what he was getting on the old release, he doesn't mind. However, particularly with the increased amount of after-market sales, that's not a given.
100% I would never sell them (then again I do not). Years ago I was shock to see 110% this theater had to pay for the 1st 3 weeks of Starwars PM.
Old 01-04-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts

The studio gets 100 percent of revenue at FULL retail price for the first two weeks for every 'new' release. A new UPC = new release.
I've never heard anything like this before, at least as far as retail sales go. Are there any articles or anything you can point to that talks about this? What's the point in having a wholesale price if retailers ultimately have to pay more than that? Why even bother with rules about minimum advertised prices if the studio gets the full MSRP at the end of the day anyway? I just can't fathom that this is true, but if it is, I'd love to read more about it.
Old 01-04-11, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I've never heard anything like this before, at least as far as retail sales go. Are there any articles or anything you can point to that talks about this? What's the point in having a wholesale price if retailers ultimately have to pay more than that? Why even bother with rules about minimum advertised prices if the studio gets the full MSRP at the end of the day anyway? I just can't fathom that this is true, but if it is, I'd love to read more about it.
Unless the SKU has been changed (a sticker, or a brand new one), it would make no difference to the studio. I think for these Sony Essentials they simply slapped a crappy looking Slip Cover over existing stock (either sent to the retailers to add on, or at the distributer). I often received stuff from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft to add to the case to make them 'Greatest Hits' or whatever.

In this case, it's likely Amazon just has two different listings for the item to make it easier in the warehouse to ship the 'correct' version. The Essentials being higher is either an error, or they are just banking on stupid consumers thinking they are getting 'more' or a 'better edition'.
Old 01-04-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by drq2
100% I would never sell them (then again I do not). Years ago I was shock to see 110% this theater had to pay for the 1st 3 weeks of Starwars PM.

And there people is your answer as to why we have to charge such high concession prices when you go to the movies. while not every movie is as crazy rediculous as starwars,the studios now on average get atleast 75-85 percent of ticket revenue durring the first 2 weeks now.

Its always been a pretty big percentage for the first 2 weeks (upwards of 50 percent) but it wasnt till sony pulled that crap of demanding 90 percent each week for the first 2 weeks (and some theatre chains stupidly agreed) that other studios started doing this crap.
Old 01-05-11, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the lists, Lizard. A true DVD Talk legend.
Old 01-05-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon keeps bringing the great prices. In for upgrades of Black Book and The New World. Hard to say no at these prices. These hardly ever get down into the $10-$12 range.

Other good catches for the money are Frantic/Presumed Innocent, Into the Wild, and The Burning Plain. If you're open to discovering small, lesser-known movies, give The Burning Plain a try. Seemed to get mixed reaction from the critics that reviewed it, but it blindsided me with how strong it was. The BD even has a surprisingly involving DTS-HD surround track (considering it's basically a dialogue-oriented drama).

All these BDs have good or better PQ, but you better love grain if you buy the Ford double feature. (I adore it).
Old 01-05-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
And there people is your answer as to why we have to charge such high concession prices when you go to the movies. while not every movie is as crazy rediculous as starwars,the studios now on average get atleast 75-85 percent of ticket revenue durring the first 2 weeks now.

Its always been a pretty big percentage for the first 2 weeks (upwards of 50 percent) but it wasnt till sony pulled that crap of demanding 90 percent each week for the first 2 weeks (and some theatre chains stupidly agreed) that other studios started doing this crap.
Ahh... But which came first? High concession prices or high demands? How much profit does a theater make on an $8 tub of popcorn, especially when the studios HAVE to be providing the branded tubs they use?
Old 01-05-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

The Ford double feature is practically worth it for Greta Scacchi alone--she's not well represented on BD
Old 01-05-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
The Ford double feature is practically worth it for Greta Scacchi alone--she's not well represented on BD
I agree she is very fine, both in looks and talent. I would love to see someone save White Mischief from home video oblivion; rented that film years ago and liked it a lot. Anyone...Criterion maybe?

Presumed Innocent has had a surprising amount of replay value for me over the years, even once the ending is known. Love the way the script slowly exposes the skeletons in practically everybody's closet.

I also enjoy Frantic a lot; not top-drawer Polanski but very solid.

Two films I like...I know at less than ten bucks this disc would be an easy buy for me if I didn't own it.
Old 01-05-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
I agree she is very fine, both in looks and talent. I would love to see someone save White Mischief from home video oblivion; rented that film years ago and liked it a lot. Anyone...Criterion maybe?
Criterion but I'd even go for a make-on-demand disc
Old 01-05-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Previous lists:
1-4-11, 1-3-11, 1-2-11, 1-1-11, 12-31-10, 12-30-10, 12-29-10, 12-28-10, 12-27-10, 12-26-10, 12-25-10, 12-24-10, 12-23-10, 12-22-10, 12-21-10, 12-20-10, 12-19-10, 12-18-10, 12-17-10, 12-16-10, 12-15-10, 12-14-10
[Prices may have changed since titles were posted. Or not.]

Today's New Lows and Old Lows:

Cruel World $6.49

The Love Guru (Two-Disc Special Edition) $8.49

The Brave One $8.99

Taking Woodstock $9.99
College Road Trip $9.99

Employee of the Month $11.49

Undisputed III: Redemption $14.98
Clerks (15th Anniversary Edition) $14.99
Cats & Dogs $14.99
Enemy of the State $14.99

Preacher's Kid $17.99

The Company $19.99
Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (Shahrukh Khan - Karan Johar / Bollywood Movie / Indian Cinema / Hindi Film Blu-ray DVD) $19.99
CJ7 $19.99

Someone's Knocking at the Door $20.49

The Counterfeiters $20.99
Sci-Fi 3-Pack (Jumper / Independence Day / I, Robot) $20.99

Battlefield WWII Invasion! As Seen On PBS! $22.49
Battlefield Vietnam: from Dien Bien Phu to Peace with Honor! As Seen On PBS! $22.49

Resident Evil - The High-Definition Trilogy (Resident Evil/ Resident Evil: Apocalypse/ Resident Evil: Extinction) $24.99

It's Kind of a Funny Story $26.99

Last edited by lizard; 01-05-11 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-05-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidh777
Though there is The Player.
Old 01-05-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Nor did I know about these practices before consulting in the industry. There may be general trade documents that are posted that discuss this stuff but unfortunately the documents I have are not for public disclosure.

Keep in mind that "wholesale" does not apply to DVD sales. The difference being that if a retailer buys something at wholesale, they own it. Video 'sales' to retailers are more on the consignment model, in that the retailer can return a certain portion of inventory back to the distributor if they don't sell well. So, the retailer's risk is reduced. In fact, some retailers require the studio/distributor to manage the inventory pipeline for them - know as VMI (Vendor Managed Inventory). The end result is the distributor is basically responsible for all purchases and if they muck it up, virtually all returns. The costs of doing this for a retailer are also significant (thus reducing the retailer's cost).

The only reasons retailers discount DVDs in the first week of release as they believe it is a loss-leader that will effectively get consumers to their store or site to purchase other items with a better profit margin and because they need to keep up with what the competition is doing. Haven't you asked yourself why the second week of a dvd's release, prices go back to close to full retail price? It's because the retailer has moved on to the new release loss-leaders and don't want to take the loss on the same item for little (upside) potential. After the second week, retail gets a cut of the revenue with the percent of the cut improving over the life of the item. If the item is a catalog title, it's unlikely the DVD will be featured again in ads until the Studio takes a price reduction (Disney titles probably being the biggest exception to that). Hope that helps a bit.
Old 01-05-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Though there is The Player.
Yes, forgot about that release...fabulous film!

And my sleuthing shows a Canadian release of The Red Violin, but that's from Alliance and it seems that complaints about the quality of their releases surface fairly often. (I haven't seen this particular disc though, so I have no idea one way or the other).
Old 01-05-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Unless the SKU has been changed (a sticker, or a brand new one), it would make no difference to the studio. I think for these Sony Essentials they simply slapped a crappy looking Slip Cover over existing stock (either sent to the retailers to add on, or at the distributer). I often received stuff from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft to add to the case to make them 'Greatest Hits' or whatever.

In this case, it's likely Amazon just has two different listings for the item to make it easier in the warehouse to ship the 'correct' version. The Essentials being higher is either an error, or they are just banking on stupid consumers thinking they are getting 'more' or a 'better edition'.
I think the important thing to take away from this is that it will have a new slipcover which will make at least a dozen members rebuy this because they cream their jeans over slipcovers and the studios know this
Old 01-05-11, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I think the important thing to take away from this is that it will have a new slipcover which will make at least a dozen members rebuy this because they cream their jeans over sYlipcovers and the studios know this
Yep. Many are on slip cover sites. But these are like really crappy. Screams "I'm a cheap release! Buy me!!!!".
Old 01-05-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't believe A Man in Love was released in region 1 either...?

Sorry, please resume real thread
Old 01-05-11, 03:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I think the important thing to take away from this is that it will have a new slipcover which will make at least a dozen members rebuy this because they cream their jeans over sYlipcovers and the studios know this
Yep. Many are on slip cover sites. But these are like really crappy. Screams "I'm a cheap release! Buy me!!!!".
Old 01-05-11, 03:32 PM

If you're open to discovering small, lesser-known movies, give The Burning Plain a try. Seemed to get mixed reaction from the critics that reviewed it, but it blindsided me with how strong it was. The BD even has a surprisingly involving DTS-HD surround track (considering it's basically a dialogue-oriented drama).
I 2nd the recommendation for giving The Burning Plain a watch. For me though, I wouldn't buy it, I try to stick with what I'd want to see again and even though it's a really good movie, once is enough. Same with Boys Don't Cry, I ended up selling off my dvd of it long ago cause I realized I was never gonna watch it again for sure.

on topic: I'm happy to see that GhostShip BD has dropped to $10.49. I don't think it's in Lizard's list above but I noticed it because it was in my saved cart. Down from I think $18.49. I know these kind of movies are a dime a dozen but I love the cast and for some reason I really like the visual of the scenes in this one. Most notably when the cable snaps (won't say more, you'll know it when you see it).

I'm on the fence about the 2pks of Practical Magic/Witches of Eastwick (down another 50c to $13.49) and MissCongeniality 1 & 2 (up $1 to $14.99, boo!!). For a per movie price, that seems really good but I've already spent a lot in the past 7 weeks since finally jumping on the bluray ship. I've probably got 50+ titles and I'm trying to resolve to actually watch all of them within a month or two after buying and not just buy and buy and never get to "yea I want to watch this soon" where soon never comes.

Thinking about jumping on GhostShip (and Taking Lives for $8.49 - slowly upgrading all my AJolie movies) for now and waiting til another time when those 2pks might drop to same or lower price? I've been wanting to see GhostShip for a while but mistakenly bought foolscreen of the dvd and didn't realize til was too late to return!
Old 01-05-11, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Ahh... But which came first? High concession prices or high demands? How much profit does a theater make on an $8 tub of popcorn, especially when the studios HAVE to be providing the branded tubs they use?
Depends on their opt cost. I can tell you I get 100lbs of Popcorn for $20.00 . The coconut oil (the only way to make it) cost me about .15 a stick (one per batch). Topping Popcorn salt $1 20lbs. Flavor depends on what one of us makes it (cost from .05 to $5.00 for 10 batches). The popper I think? cost $4,000.00 this is not a model you buy at target. BTW they are power pigs!

The tubs depends on the place if they get them free or if they get a discount on them.

When you do the math you have to add in all your over head. You also should add in your dump cost. Most system depending on there size you are dumping the 1st and in some the 2nd batch. Then if they sit to long dump it, also closing dump it.

All in all even buying the items at retail. Cost is around .45 to .60 cents per LG unit. For the most part Popcorn has always from the late 1800 to now has been the high profit item (soda a very close 2nd) item.

Soda a case of syrup cost anywhere from $40 to $60. Carb cans I will get back to you on that one. I have to look at that cost. Yes the cups cost more then the item inside. Depends on the setup. Wine is more of a profit.

Candy, big bars even at your local mega mart $.80 to 1.25. Profit most of the time is 2x to 4xs on those. Again depending on what your buying and when they bought it.

No not forgot to add the cost of JAss like me that bring in all there own stuff. An the people that get in for free also cost them.
Old 01-05-11, 08:25 PM

Nor did I know about these practices before consulting in the industry. There may be general trade documents that are posted that discuss this stuff but unfortunately the documents I have are not for public disclosure.

Keep in mind that "wholesale" does not apply to DVD sales. The difference being that if a retailer buys something at wholesale, they own it. Video 'sales' to retailers are more on the consignment model, in that the retailer can return a certain portion of inventory back to the distributor if they don't sell well. So, the retailer's risk is reduced. In fact, some retailers require the studio/distributor to manage the inventory pipeline for them - know as VMI (Vendor Managed Inventory). The end result is the distributor is basically responsible for all purchases and if they muck it up, virtually all returns. The costs of doing this for a retailer are also significant (thus reducing the retailer's cost).

The only reasons retailers discount DVDs in the first week of release as they believe it is a loss-leader that will effectively get consumers to their store or site to purchase other items with a better profit margin and because they need to keep up with what the competition is doing. Haven't you asked yourself why the second week of a dvd's release, prices go back to close to full retail price? It's because the retailer has moved on to the new release loss-leaders and don't want to take the loss on the same item for little (upside) potential. After the second week, retail gets a cut of the revenue with the percent of the cut improving over the life of the item. If the item is a catalog title, it's unlikely the DVD will be featured again in ads until the Studio takes a price reduction (Disney titles probably being the biggest exception to that). Hope that helps a bit.
This I understand. Maybe its my way of thinking. I never have any lost leader.
Old 01-05-11, 08:55 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't want to sound rude, but could we please stop discussing high-priced popcorn and the ethics of slip-cover changes in this tread and only discuss actual Amazon bargains?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-11, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Actually not all theatres use branded tubs just as a little FYI.
And even those that do, they dont get those for free, chains have to pay to the company that produces the tubs to get those.

and to answer your question just barely enough to put a little dent in that high film rental cost they pay.
not only that but factor in the employees on the clock etc

Originally Posted by drq2
Depends on their opt cost. I can tell you I get 100lbs of Popcorn for $20.00 . The coconut oil (the only way to make it) cost me about .15 a stick (one per batch). Topping Popcorn salt $1 20lbs. Flavor depends on what one of us makes it (cost from .05 to $5.00 for 10 batches). The popper I think? cost $4,000.00 this is not a model you buy at target. BTW they are power pigs!

The tubs depends on the place if they get them free or if they get a discount on them.

When you do the math you have to add in all your over head. You also should add in your dump cost. Most system depending on there size you are dumping the 1st and in some the 2nd batch. Then if they sit to long dump it, also closing dump it.

All in all even buying the items at retail. Cost is around .45 to .60 cents per LG unit. For the most part Popcorn has always from the late 1800 to now has been the high profit item (soda a very close 2nd) item.

Soda a case of syrup cost anywhere from $40 to $60. Carb cans I will get back to you on that one. I have to look at that cost. Yes the cups cost more then the item inside. Depends on the setup. Wine is more of a profit.

Candy, big bars even at your local mega mart $.80 to 1.25. Profit most of the time is 2x to 4xs on those. Again depending on what your buying and when they bought it.

No not forgot to add the cost of JAss like me that bring in all there own stuff. An the people that get in for free also cost them.
you actually summed it up perfectly there.

ok back to the topic of amazon deals lol

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.