Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Old 03-24-11, 01:31 PM
  #1676  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
I jumped on the Craft. Glad I didn't buy it yesterday. Roxanne appears to be $11.99 now, but you can get it for $5 + $2.98 in the Marketplace...
Roxanne was one of the shortest price drops I've seen, just a few hours. Crazy Amazon pricing!
lizard is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 02:07 PM
  #1677  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,455
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

*SIGH*

The Crow: City of Angels on Blu-ray? HOW ABOUT THE ORIGINAL. Now I'm all mad.

I might get Roxanne though.
Draven is online now  
Old 03-24-11, 02:19 PM
  #1678  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,492
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
*SIGH*

The Crow: City of Angels on Blu-ray? HOW ABOUT THE ORIGINAL. Now I'm all mad.
That is bizarre. I'm holding out for a box set of just the 2nd, 3rd and 4th movies.
GoVegan is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 09:33 PM
  #1679  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 4,531
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Potential mis-price, pre-order:

Amazon has Some Like It Hot up for pre-order at $13.99 with a $19.99 list price.

Walmart.com has had it up a few weeks for $22.86 with a list price of $34.99, where it's been assumed at that price point it would be a digibook release like The Hustler, The Comancheros and several other Fox/MGM re-issues on the same date, May 10th.

---

The Horse Soldiers is $22.86/$34.99 on Walmart.com, versus $11.99/$16.99 on Amazon.

So, YMMV as both may not end up being digibooks after all and they're just basic catalog releases with appropriate price-points.
Adboy151 is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 10:50 PM
  #1680  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 4,241
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Thanks Adboy, I placed the order for Some Like it Hot at that price.
jiggyblau is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 11:15 PM
  #1681  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
onebyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,049
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Definitely locking in Some Like it Hot at that price as well. Thanks a lot. I am really looking forward to that one.
onebyone is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 09:47 AM
  #1682  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by Adboy151 View Post
Potential mis-price, pre-order:

Amazon has Some Like It Hot up for pre-order at $13.99 with a $19.99 list price.

Walmart.com has had it up a few weeks for $22.86 with a list price of $34.99, where it's been assumed at that price point it would be a digibook release like The Hustler, The Comancheros and several other Fox/MGM re-issues on the same date, May 10th.

So, YMMV as both may not end up being digibooks after all and they're just basic catalog releases with appropriate price-points.
How will we know for sure? When they put up a picture (hopefully before May 10th) we'll be able to see if it's a digibook?

For me $13.99 is normally way too much for a DVD to BD upgrade (I already have the 2 disc CE on DVD which I haven't opened), but if it were a digibook with a nice booklet, then maybe... especially if I can get rid of my unopened DVD for more than the usual pitance people offer for DVDs.

On an unrelated note, if you have an Amazon preorder of a single item, I don't suppose there's any way to put it in a hold state temporarily? I was thinking maybe they offered something where you could pay later and send in a check, but the only payment options I see are credit card or bank accounts. I must be thinking of some other company where you could put it in a pay later state, wait until you're ready, and then change it to a credit card to make it ship.

EDIT: I called Amazon to see if there was any way to hold an order without canceling, and the rep said no.

Last edited by Manzana; 03-25-11 at 10:19 AM.
Manzana is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 10:42 AM
  #1683  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 98
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
Only if it is advertised. If it is that price at target.com you could try reporting it to Amazon, then they might lower their price to match...
Amazon price-matched:
Carlito's Way
Jon Hertzberg is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 10:43 AM
  #1684  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

It's amazon...just pre order it...keep up to date as to wtf it is...and when it gets closer to release date do what you want: Keep it or cancel it.
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 10:46 AM
  #1685  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 303
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
For me $13.99 is normally way too much for a DVD to BD upgrade (I already have the 2 disc CE on DVD which I haven't opened)...
I have the CE DVD and it is of great quality. I got it for $7 or so from CH with membership. I doubt BD improves on a 60-year-old film.
Andras is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 10:56 AM
  #1686  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by Andras View Post
I have the CE DVD and it is of great quality. I got it for $7 or so from CH with membership. I doubt BD improves on a 60-year-old film.
are you serious? If done right...it can do....oh so many wonders.

on topic:

Dog Soldiers is up for $7.99. It lacks features from the DVD. I liked The Descent a lot.

Good buy? The pricing alone is great.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-25-11 at 11:03 AM.
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 11:06 AM
  #1687  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 523
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Thanks for the heads up on Some Like It Hot. When we first got our dog, the CE DVD was one of a few DVD's that she decided to make a chew toy, so I've needed to replace it for awhile. I went ahead and pre-ordered it. It might be worth the upgrade for a few bucks more than if I were to order a replacement. If it sucks, I'll just cancel and re-order off the marketplace or something.
Dexter Douglas is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 12:00 PM
  #1688  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by jwstl View Post
What exactly is wrong with the transfer of Patton? A 4.5 star rating on DVdtalk, a 5 start rating on Blu-rya.com as well as positive comments on all other review sites I frequent seem to indicate the transfer is very, very good.
There's a lot of DNR - check out Scott's waxy mug in some of the caps here.
NoirFan is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 12:29 PM
  #1689  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
How will we know for sure? When they put up a picture (hopefully before May 10th) we'll be able to see if it's a digibook?

For me $13.99 is normally way too much for a DVD to BD upgrade (I already have the 2 disc CE on DVD which I haven't opened), but if it were a digibook with a nice booklet, then maybe... especially if I can get rid of my unopened DVD for more than the usual pitance people offer for DVDs.

On an unrelated note, if you have an Amazon preorder of a single item, I don't suppose there's any way to put it in a hold state temporarily? I was thinking maybe they offered something where you could pay later and send in a check, but the only payment options I see are credit card or bank accounts. I must be thinking of some other company where you could put it in a pay later state, wait until you're ready, and then change it to a credit card to make it ship.

EDIT: I called Amazon to see if there was any way to hold an order without canceling, and the rep said no.
Why would you put a hold on it? You pre-order it, then Amazon releases the full specs and if you're not happy then you cancel it. You realize Amazon does not charge your card until it ships, right?
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 12:30 PM
  #1690  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 13,333
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Ten Commandments LE set is now at $54.99

http://www.amazon.com/Commandments-L...1074174&sr=8-2
E Unit is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 12:32 PM
  #1691  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Previous lists:
3-24-11, 3-23-11, 3-22-11, 3-21-11, 3-20-11, 3-18-11, 3-17-11, 3-16-11, 3-15-11, 3-14-11, 3-13-11, 3-12-11, 3-10-11, 3-9-11, 3-8-11, 3-7-11, 3-6-11, 3-4-11, 3-3-11, 3-2-11, 3-1-11, 2-28-11, 2-27-11, 2-26-11, 2-25-11, 2-24-11,
[Prices may have changed since titles were posted. Or not.]


Here are today's New Lows:

Children of Men $9.99
Carlito's Way $9.99

Control Alt Delete $10.49

Firebreather $19.99

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Pre-order) $22.99

The Times of Harvey Milk (The Criterion Collection) (Pre-order) $26.99

Last edited by lizard; 03-25-11 at 03:13 PM.
lizard is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 12:34 PM
  #1692  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg View Post
Saw this was at $9.99 at Target. Does Amazon usually price match Target prices?
Yes:
Carlito's Way $9.99
lizard is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 12:35 PM
  #1693  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
are you serious? If done right...it can do....oh so many wonders.

on topic:

Dog Soldiers is up for $7.99. It lacks features from the DVD. I liked The Descent a lot.

Good buy? The pricing alone is great.
i like the movie...i'm thinking of upgrading myself. the dvd is interlaced.
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 12:45 PM
  #1694  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 13,333
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
i like the movie...i'm thinking of upgrading myself. the dvd is interlaced.
After hearing from those who have the BD, I decided to pass. Here's the review from blu-ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dog-So...y/4011/#Review
E Unit is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 12:48 PM
  #1695  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
After hearing from those who have the BD, I decided to pass. Here's the review from blu-ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dog-So...y/4011/#Review
i'll trust dvdbeaver over blu-ray.com

Just to add on to what Eric has correctly stated below - for fans of film grain - Dog Soldiers on Blu-ray has it in abundance and replaces the DVD's noise and artifacts with thick textured look that I find... exquisite. Occasional colors (greens + blood reds) rise to a stronger vibrancy. It surely represents the 16mm source in the most accurate manner - digitally speaking.
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 12:51 PM
  #1696  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 13,333
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Yeah, but on blu-ray.com, look at some of the user comments. That said enough.
E Unit is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 12:55 PM
  #1697  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Galt's Gulch
Posts: 2,623
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Why would you put a hold on it? You pre-order it, then Amazon releases the full specs and if you're not happy then you cancel it. You realize Amazon does not charge your card until it ships, right?
Do you realize who you are talking to? Somehow, something will happen and Manzana will get charged and Amazon wont accept a return and then Manzana will vow to never shop at Amazon again......until Lizards post the very next day.
John Galt is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 02:17 PM
  #1698  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

I also pre-ordered Some Like It Hot. If it turns out that the $13.99 price isn't a mistake, I'll just cancel and wait until it hits $9.99.
NoirFan is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 02:26 PM
  #1699  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Yucaipa, CA
Posts: 354
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by Andras View Post
I have the CE DVD and it is of great quality. I got it for $7 or so from CH with membership. I doubt BD improves on a 60-year-old film.
Your doubt is silly in light of the last few years of classic BD releases. Have you seen any of Buster Keaton's films on BD? The General, for instance? Good heavens, that film is 90 years old and it's a huge improvement on BD!

If you're satisfied watching movies on your iPhone, fine, but if you have any kind of a decent display at all you should know better by now.
blokhed is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 02:27 PM
  #1700  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,472
Re: Amazon Discounts and Deals Thread #7 (is it #7? I'll pretend it is)

Originally Posted by blokhed View Post
Your doubt is silly in light of the last few years of classic BD releases. Have you seen any of Buster Keaton's films on BD? The General, for instance? Good heavens, that film is 90 years old and it's a huge improvement on BD!

If you're satisfied watching movies on your iPhone, fine, but if you have any kind of a decent display at all you should know better by now.
You can argue that older movies benefit the most from the upgrade to BD.
jwstl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.