Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

(DEAD) Lord of the Rings Trilogy $7.99 @ Target.com

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: (DEAD) Lord of the Rings Trilogy $7.99 @ Target.com

There was a memo sent Saturday morning specifically stating not to give rainchecks on this. At least that's what two different stores in my area told me. I attempted to get rainchecks at FIVE stores today, and was shot down by all of them...
Old 11-28-10, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhauge
Even if they don't restock, I thought Target's raincheck policy was that you could use it on another item within the same category (in this case DVD/BD) and get the same %-off (a whopping 89%!). Does anyone know if that is still their policy?
The substitution policy only occurs when the % off is no greater than 24%. It used to be unlimited years ago, but they have since capped it. It actually prints right on the raincheck. It's all automatic. When you want to buy something else (from that same department) they will scan the raincheck, then scan your item, then price K1 to select the item you want to substitute. The appropriate percentage will automatically be taken off... I have done this many times over the past few years...
Old 11-28-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I'd grab one for you if I were able to find 1 (2).
Thanks a lot, if you end up finding one just let me know. It's great that some folks on here still try to help out one another.

I have a feeling the price is changed by now though (Sunday).
Old 11-28-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brent L
Thanks a lot, if you end up finding one just let me know. It's great that some folks on here still try to help out one another.

I have a feeling the price is changed by now though (Sunday).
I guarantee it... The sign clearly said 11/26-27. It's over... Target's computers change the sale prices like clockwork...
Old 11-28-10, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I was unable to find a set at any of the local stores. I guess that I will have to wait and see if I get my online order.
Old 11-28-10, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to put my 2 cents about this being a price error. Well first of all LOTR trilogy cover pic was on their BF add. Ok let’s say it was just an honest mistake by a print company or an employee. Then the same set went on sale online on their site for same price for an hour or so now some of you might think it was a glitch. Let’s say it was a glitch and they caught it and fixed it. (It was an hour or so on their system not b/c they caught the glitch and fixed it b/c of the frakking hoarders ordered 100s of them so naturally system has a limit and when it reached a certain number it showed OOS).

On top of everything during BF people found this set on sale with a price tag showing that it is in fact $7.99 and also showing the amount that you’re saving on it. Same people bought this set for $7.99. You can also get rain checks for the same item which still was on their system showing up $7.99.

Target had plenty of time to catch this so called “price error” and fix it but they didn't b/c it was not a price error or a glitch in their system. I don’t think it is that unbelievable for this set to go on sale for this price during BF since you can get individual titles for same price. I also won't be surprised if I see same titles on sale for $5 soon b/c they are going to release extended edition at some point.

I also want to point out WoO and GWTW BRs being on sale for $12.99 during BF last year (which you can easily buy for the same price right now from many different stores) and everybody was freaking out about it and thinking it was a price mistake or misprint.
Old 11-28-10, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by melih69
I don’t think it is that unbelievable for this set to go on sale for this price during BF since you can get individual titles for same price. I also won't be surprised if I see same titles on sale for $5 soon b/c they are going to release extended edition at some point.
I doubt they'll ever sell the 3-disc blu-ray set for $5 just because of the extended version. When the extended dvd set came out I never saw the original theatrical trilogy go on sale for $5.
Old 11-28-10, 04:50 AM

Is it fair to say this was probably the hottest Black Friday movie deal this year, at least in terms of (low) supply vs. (high) demand?
Old 11-28-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

yes
Old 11-28-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I just wanted to put my 2 cents about this being a price error. Well first of all LOTR trilogy cover pic was on their BF add. Ok let’s say it was just an honest mistake by a print company or an employee. Then the same set went on sale online on their site for same price for an hour or so now some of you might think it was a glitch. Let’s say it was a glitch and they caught it and fixed it. (It was an hour or so on their system not b/c they caught the glitch and fixed it b/c of the frakking hoarders ordered 100s of them so naturally system has a limit and when it reached a certain number it showed OOS).

On top of everything during BF people found this set on sale with a price tag showing that it is in fact $7.99 and also showing the amount that you’re saving on it. Same people bought this set for $7.99. You can also get rain checks for the same item which still was on their system showing up $7.99.

Target had plenty of time to catch this so called “price error” and fix it but they didn't b/c it was not a price error or a glitch in their system. I don’t think it is that unbelievable for this set to go on sale for this price during BF since you can get individual titles for same price. I also won't be surprised if I see same titles on sale for $5 soon b/c they are going to release extended edition at some point.
It was clearly a price error and meant for the single editions of the movies. Where it's pictured in the ad it says "normal price up to $24.99". What's getting people confused is that we're not used to a company taking such a huge financial hit on their mistake and actually honoring the price.
Old 11-28-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

On a total whim last night, I tried my local Target, saw the signage, but nothing there. So I took the store ad to neighboring Ultimate Electronics, and the manager happily and quickly price-matched the store's single $74.95 set. Walked out the door with it for $7.95 and change.

Now I feel guilty about it. Damn conscience!
Old 11-28-10, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
On a total whim last night, I tried my local Target, saw the signage, but nothing there. So I took the store ad to neighboring Ultimate Electronics, and the manager happily and quickly price-matched the store's single $74.95 set. Walked out the door with it for $7.95 and change.

Now I feel guilty about it. Damn conscience!
Nothing to feel guilty about. CONGRATS.
Old 11-28-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also want to point out WoO and GWTW BRs being on sale for $12.99 during BF last year (which you can easily buy for the same price right now from many different stores) and everybody was freaking out about it and thinking it was a price mistake or misprint.
I don't understand what is so confusing. It was obviously an error on the picture that was printed in the BF ad. That was printed WEEKS before BF. Once they realized it was the wrong item pictured, they decided to go ahead and honor the mistake (likely because they realized there were not more than a couple of these at any given store).

This was all stated clearly in a memo from Target corporate to individual stores.
Old 11-28-10, 01:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I walk into Target this morning and guess what's there? A copy of the LOR trilogy sitting right on the shelf in it's correct slot. Price? $74.95.
Old 11-28-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

^Did you go in Friday or Saturday looking for it and told they were out? If so, I would complain to a Manager or Corporate that the online inventory said it was in stock and you drove out of your way to get there only to be told it was an inventory discrepancy.
Old 11-28-10, 02:16 PM

BaHumBug! (Smacking self repeatedly) I saw this deal late last night, 8pm so i knew the mega targets would be out. I called around to a few country/farmland area targets butttttt never did i think of going to the Shiny new target located behind a strip mall & scary trailer park on the city border! Its exactly 3.8 miles from a MegaMall Target, so nobody knows its back there unless u live there. Anyway, i called just now and the clerk said, we have 7 of them and they have been sitting for months on the shelf!!!!! I know he's telling the truth and unaware of the deals running. Theres's always stock at that store when others are depleted. i got the 4disc/3D christmas carol for under $6 matching frys + Target coupon on that last saturday. I just freaking forgot about that store & easily would have driven the 30mins. Im sobbing now!
Old 11-28-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm sure it was a mistake by whoever put together the ad. I think they honored the mistake because this WAS a Black Friday ad. And what retailer in their right mind wants to put a disclaimer on a sale price on Black Friday. I think they thought they'd just take the hit, then possibly lose business on the busiest shopping day of the year. There's a reason that Target and Wal-mart are so big -- they see the big picture -- unlike some retailers who would probably have put up a disclaimer.
Old 11-28-10, 04:19 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Future Man
Is it fair to say this was probably the hottest Black Friday movie deal this year, at least in terms of (low) supply vs. (high) demand?
I've never seen a 3 movie box set sell for this cheap, nevermind a blu-ray one. This reminds me of back in May 2007 when "Complete Matrix" box set on HD DVD was $20 instead of $80 on circuit city's web site. They honored the price and a handful were sold
Old 11-28-10, 06:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
I don't understand what is so confusing. It was obviously an error on the picture that was printed in the BF ad. That was printed WEEKS before BF. Once they realized it was the wrong item pictured, they decided to go ahead and honor the mistake (likely because they realized there were not more than a couple of these at any given store).

This was all stated clearly in a memo from Target corporate to individual stores.
I don't think the price tag of $7.99 for the trilogy was a mistake. I was at a Target store, and a sign in the movies section said "Save $67". I have a photo as well.
Old 11-28-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by rpruthee
I don't think the price tag of $7.99 for the trilogy was a mistake. I was at a Target store, and a sign in the movies section said "Save $67". I have a photo as well.
Someone also posted a picture in this topic.
Old 11-28-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by h0mi
I've never seen a 3 movie box set sell for this cheap, nevermind a blu-ray one. This reminds me of back in May 2007 when "Complete Matrix" box set on HD DVD was $20 instead of $80 on circuit city's web site. They honored the price and a handful were sold
I remember that. They came through with my copy- what an amazing deal.

Shame they don't have deals like that anymore.

Being out of business doesn't help I guess.
Old 11-28-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rpruthee
Like I said, this WAS a mistake, but since it was BF, they decided to honor it. Otherwise, why would corporate send out a memo telling mgmnt. to honor this price (like has been reported by some). The tags don't indicate that it was not a mistake, only that Target knew about it, and decided to allow people to get it anyway. Anyway, most stores had only 1 or 2, so they really didn't lose that much money as opposed to all the "I'll never shop at Target again" that would surely pop up.
Old 11-28-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, going through with the price was a pretty smart move on their part. Why haggle over 60 plus bucks when the potential customer you'd be angering probably spent $1000s there over the years. Sure they'll take a loss on this, but over the long haul it's worth it to them. Some companies could take a cue from this business approach.

I know a few places where my wife or I will never shop because we felt "screwed over" by a company. Places like Circuit City, Hollywood Video and Linens and Things come to mind... Fortunately, it's been pretty easy for us to stick to our guns.
Old 11-28-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Anyway, most stores had only 1 or 2, so they really didn't lose that much money as opposed to all the "I'll never shop at Target again" that would surely pop up.
Yeah, and it remains to be seen how many they'll ship out from internet orders. But since the sale lasted at least fifteen minutes, with a lot of people doing multiples, you'd imagine they had at least 10K units. Let's hope they take their own cue and honor that as well.
Old 11-28-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Let's just hope they limit the hoarders to one copy so that the rest of us that ordered one for personal use or a gift will have a better chance to get one. If not I'm going to create an account at all of those sites that the hoarders belong to and tell them all to go and fuck themselves.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.