DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   (DEAD) Lord of the Rings Trilogy $7.99 @ Target.com (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/582553-dead-lord-rings-trilogy-%247-99-%40-target-com.html)

kndy 11-25-10 02:55 AM

re: (DEAD) Lord of the Rings Trilogy $7.99 @ Target.com

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 10510648)
That's outrageous. People like that are awful.

Target should have put a limit on this. But I'm sure many people bought dozens of copies to resell. But yeah, it does suck but that's Black Friday for ya.... people looking for things they can flip.

Manzana 11-25-10 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by kndy (Post 10510645)
Man, can't believe someone bought 92 copies of the trilogy...(ref: slickdeals.com)

You have to remember a lot of people on SD are "trolls" who post lies to get people riled up. While I do know that there are many people who buy several copies for the purpose of reselling/trading/making a profit as I mentioned, 92 is questionable unless the person resells movies as a business (but there are a lot of those people who run their own little marketplaces on eBay).

The memo is pretty clear what Target stores will do. If you happen to get your hands on a Trilogy set, it'll be $7.99 (they might have to manually adjust it at customer service though), but if you don't you'll be paying $7.99 each for the individual movie releases which is no deal at all (Amazon or somewhere had them for that much or less this week). So ordering online was a wise backup (though you pay shipping if it goes through), and there's still no guarantee you'll get your online order either. The definition of Black Friday's really good deals is YMMV or YNK (you never know).

I've got to get some sleep now. I probably won't even get up until 9 AM (before the 2nd wave of lightning deals) which means expect some short-lived super deals on SD while I'm asleep.

Murmur 11-25-10 03:08 AM

Target's ad had the image shown for the whole LOTR Trilogy and was wondering if it was a price mistake. If not, I didn't think it would go live online so early, BF is almost a day away and it out of stock. I'm not too sure I will be hitting Target that morning, most likely Wally at midnight tonight and back in bed before 1 a.m. - but I will have Targets ad and might see about a price match. That is, if Walmart hasn't squirreled all of their copies away, or they had been picked up an hour earlier by some other astute folks. If not, I will just be waiting for the extended versions

izatright 11-25-10 03:09 AM

Some guy on SD claims to have bought 120 copies. That's just ludicrous. I can't believe Target will honor that. Serves him right if they cancel the whole thing altogether.

Naughty! 11-25-10 05:05 AM

I'm pretty pissed I missed this. I had it in my cart and I was going around and adding some seasons of The Simpsons to my cart since I missed them on Amazon and when I got done LOTR's was gone. Now I'll either have to try my luck at my local Target or hope that some of those ridiculous orders get cancelled so it might come back in stock online (hopefully with a limit this time).

AaronSch 11-25-10 07:45 AM

It is really ridiculous that Target didn't place a one or two copy limit. None of these sales should sell out in a matter of minutes. It just creates frustration since this sale is supposed to last all weekend. Perhaps they will make some available again for west coasters. If you aren't up at like 4 a.m. you are basically out-of-luck. I'm glad I jumped the gun and picked up a copy for price adjustment tomorrow morning.

LaxBandit 11-25-10 07:55 AM

Man, what bad luck. If the time stamp on the orginial post is correct - it turns out I left this
website (and went to bed) a couple of minutes before this awesome deal was posted on here.
Well good luck to everyone who got in - hope your order goes through.

LB...

animefan 11-25-10 08:04 AM

Well, I definitely would have ordered at that price, but I guess in the long run it is best that I didn't buy it. I know I will buy the extended edition whenever it comes out, so this would have been just $10 wasted. I still have my DVDs to hold me until then.

dino88 11-25-10 09:04 AM

So is this $7.99 in stores today or do I have to wait until tomorrow?

adrenaline78 11-25-10 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10510885)
So is this $7.99 in stores today or do I have to wait until tomorrow?

It's not in stores. I am sure its a mistake anyhow as Each of the LOTR are 7.99..

Website is sold out.

wormraper 11-25-10 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 (Post 10510894)
It's not in stores. I am sure its a mistake anyhow as Each of the LOTR are 7.99..

Website is sold out.

it will be in store as well. My target is already putting out the tags for the $7.99 trilogy as well as the singles. Also a corporate memo was put out on the 21st saying that they were going to be honoring the $7.99 price for the trilogy but only limited to stock on hand.

adrenaline78 11-25-10 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by wormraper (Post 10510898)
it will be in store as well. My target is already putting out the tags for the $7.99 trilogy as well as the singles. Also a corporate memo was put out on the 21st saying that they were going to be honoring the $7.99 price for the trilogy but only limited to stock on hand.

interesting. thanks.

dino88 11-25-10 09:16 AM

Still confused. Is the price good for today or tomorrow? I'm getting ready to head out, so I'll stop by Target if it's currently at that price.

iNCREDiPiNOY 11-25-10 09:16 AM

i hope walmart will have it. fingercrossed.

iNCREDiPiNOY 11-25-10 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10510906)
Still confused. Is the price good for today or tomorrow?

2 days only, friday, 11/26 and saturday, 11/27

dino88 11-25-10 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY (Post 10510908)
2 days only, friday, 11/26 and saturday, 11/27

Thanks

What are the chances of both finding the set and finding one that hasn't been dented to hell with the security thing? Most of the pricier dvd/bd sets I've seen look like shit, so I'm sure this one will be the same.

LaxBandit 11-25-10 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10510906)
I'm getting ready to head out, so I'll stop by Target if it's currently at that price.

Target is closed today.

LB...

NiCK Crush 11-25-10 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by LaxBandit (Post 10510920)
Target is closed today.

LB...

not all Targets

darkdaze73 11-25-10 10:07 AM

I guess there will only be one lucky person at my local store, unless they have more in stock in the back. I went ahead and ordered one online, don't know if it will actually go through though.

OldBoy 11-25-10 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush (Post 10510965)
not all Targets

nick,
i pm'd you, but your box is full. if you see this please pm me ASAP. thanks.

kstublen 11-25-10 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10510909)
Thanks

What are the chances of both finding the set and finding one that hasn't been dented to hell with the security thing? Most of the pricier dvd/bd sets I've seen look like shit, so I'm sure this one will be the same.

So just get it, no matter what it looks like, then hold onto it and go back when it's less hectic and see if they have one it better condition.

Manzana 11-25-10 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY (Post 10510907)
i hope walmart will have it. fingercrossed.

Has anyone seen the LOTR Trilogy BD at their Walmart or is it yet another popular title they don't carry? I looked carefully at mine and it was not out on any of the shelves.

dino88 11-25-10 11:19 AM

I just got back from Walmart and they did not have it, nor did I see any shelf tags for it.

wormraper 11-25-10 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10511101)
I just got back from Walmart and they did not have it, nor did I see any shelf tags for it.

they used to sell it but got rid of it a couple weeks ago

dino88 11-25-10 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by wormraper (Post 10511104)
they used to sell it but got rid of it a couple weeks ago

I thought I remembered seeing it last time I was at Walmart. I guess I'll take my chances with Target tomorrow night. No way I'm going early.