DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re: (DEAD) Lord of the Rings Trilogy $7.99 @ Target.com

Fuck Target.
Old 11-29-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

What a load of shit. If they didn't want to honor this they should have acknowledged that the price in the ad was a mistake and not have started selling it for that price in store or offering it on the web site for that price. Fuck Target.
Old 11-29-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Fuck Target.
Well said!
Old 11-29-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I went in to Target Saturday night to see what the other titles from the ad were, there was 1 copy left. It rang up $74.99 and the electronics manager wasn't going to price override it to $7.99. I just put it back on the shelf and left. It was going to be a present for someone, but I wasn't going to raise a stink if I was denied an obvious price mistake.
Old 11-29-10, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
When I went in to Target Saturday night to see what the other titles from the ad were, there was 1 copy left. It rang up $74.99 and the electronics manager wasn't going to price override it to $7.99. I just put it back on the shelf and left. It was going to be a present for someone, but I wasn't going to raise a stink if I was denied an obvious price mistake.
I wonder if the remaining copies were pulled Saturday morning then?

I showed up when Target opened Saturday, and there wasn't a shelf spot for it at all. The online inventory showed "Limited Availability", and after looking in the stock room one employee managed to find 1 copy of the 6 disc version. It scanned $7.99 at the time.

One thing did happen while I was there... While the employee was checking his scanner for stock another electronics department employee walked up and asked him what he was looking for. When she saw my print out from Target.com she quickly said it wasn't for the Trilogy, but the individual releases and they didn't have any. She walked off and the other guy asked me if it was in the ad, and when I said yes he went to go check. He was completely shocked at the price, and mentioned several times how good the deal was.
Old 11-29-10, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wasn't going to raise a stink if I was denied an obvious price mistake.
If it were so obvious they would have never allowed it to ring up at that price in the first place. They would have had signs at the door stating it was a price mistake.
Old 11-29-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That copy could be used to fulfill at least one of our orders. Tuck Farget!
Old 11-29-10, 10:50 AM
Cool New Member

Got an email from them. They're offering me a $10 gift card for my trouble.
Old 11-29-10, 10:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't think of any equivalent situation like this from any other "deals" that got canceled at other retailers because Target reflected the $7.99 price on BOTH their website and their circulars. They can't claim "misprint" on both. They could have sent those cancellation emails for online orders on Friday or Saturday, seeing as how many like me ordered Wednesday night. Or, they could have just canceled online orders in their order in which they were placed, with the early birds getting rewarded. Or, they could have canceled orders that were clearly showing signs of abuse by hoarders buying multiple copies. Nothing stops a retailer from stating "One Item Per Customer" for any promotional priced item. Target sucks. I actually went to 2 Targets on Friday that showed them having the item in stock. Both places told me their system was inaccurate and that they had already checked the back room. I somehow doubt that.
Old 11-29-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Fired off an email to them as well even though I'm not expecting squat.

When this shows up for sale on their site in a couple of weeks maybe I'll complain again.
Old 11-29-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by h0mi
Got an email from them. They're offering me a $10 gift card for my trouble.
Not even worth my trouble when comparing the deal the shafted us out of. Wal-mart offered a ten dollar credit for basically a 10 dollar error. Target is trying to offer a 10 dollar credit on something with a bigger price difference.
Old 11-29-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Not even worth my trouble when comparing the deal the shafted us out of. Wal-mart offered a ten dollar credit for basically a 10 dollar error. Target is trying to offer a 10 dollar credit on something with a bigger price difference.
Well you can't expect them to take a bath on 65 dollars honestly, but 10 bucks is kind of weak

They are stupid if they don't just offer to sell them at 7.99 each for people, that would help and they won't lose any more than they did on BF, I wish i had bought more sets from amazon to help people here, but sadly I only got my 1 set.

Last edited by glassdragon; 11-29-10 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 01:10 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent an e-mail and my reply was basically fuck you, they told me that I can go to local Targets and try and find it and buy it at full price.
Old 11-29-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They told me this:

I'm sorry to hear about the cancellation of the The Lord of the Rings blu-ray DVD from your order [order #].

Unfortunately, our supplier wasn't able to get us any more of this product, even though it looked like they would when you placed your order. Because of this, we had to cancel this DVD from your order. We do what we can to keep orders going smoothly, but sometimes unexpected changes to our supply will cause us to cancel an item. I know this can be frustrating and I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

As an apology for your experience, I've added a $5.00 discount to your account for your next order with us.
$5? Fuck you very much for your customer service. I pushed the "this did not help" button and sent off another scathing email telling how $5 was a slap in the face.

Last edited by izatright; 11-29-10 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it was a mistake for them to offer it at $7.99 on their website period. They should've just honored the price in-store and left it at that.

Luckily I found a copy in-store on Black Friday so this doesn't affect me. Sorry so many people missed out on the deal though.
Old 11-29-10, 02:12 PM

"I'm sorry to hear about the cancellation of the Lord of the Rings trilogy pack from your order.

We do what we can to keep orders going smoothly, but sometimes unexpected changes to our supply will cause us to cancel an order. I know this can be frustrating and I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

We've had a lot of orders for this blu-ray, and we always fill the orders starting with the oldest orders first. There was a high demand, and by the time we got to your order we ran out of stock. Because of this, we had to cancel this the motion picture trilogy from your order.

I see that this motion picture trilogy is currently available in our local Target stores. If you’d like, just visit your nearest Target store with this DPCI number:058-40-0021 and ask a team member to point you to the item.

You can also contact Target Guest Relations at 1-800-440-0680 (select Option #5 for store merchandise) and we’ll be happy to look up this inventory at your local Target store.

If they're out of stock, they'll be able to point you to the closest store that does have the item.

Great Products. Great Value. And great guest service every time you visit Target.com. That's what shopping with us is all about, so it's disappointing to hear that we've let you down."

Really!!! that's the best they can come up with.
Old 11-29-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's in stock at your local Target they should call up the store and have them adjust the price for you. That seems like the easiest and fairest solution.
Old 11-29-10, 02:30 PM

I wonder if there'd be as big of an uproar if this deal was for the Look Who's Talking trilogy
Old 11-29-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by izatright
They told me this:

$5? Fuck you very much for your customer service. I pushed the "this did not help" button and sent off another scathing email telling how $5 was a slap in the face.
Normally I would say at least they did something to make up for it, but wow, 5 bucks? That's really fucking weak honestly. I would have expected more from them.
Old 11-29-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$5 is lame but apparently that's still more than most. I wonder how they decide whether it's $30, $10, $5 or nothing.

Also, Melih69's email claimed they fulfill on a first-come first-served basis. Did ANYONE get a shipping notice? If so, are they just remaining mum so as not to make people jealous? No one on SD claims to have gotten a shipping notice either.

Last edited by izatright; 11-29-10 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Target is weak sauce and I will not bother with them anymore for an online order.
Old 11-29-10, 03:26 PM

Well considering you were going to spend 8 bucks, 5 bucks is generous.
Old 11-29-10, 03:26 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by izatright
$5 is lame but apparently that's still more than most. I wonder how they decide whether it's $30, $10, $5 or nothing.

Also, Melih69's email claimed they fulfill on a first-come first-served basis. Did ANYONE get a shipping notice? If so, are they just remaining mum so as not to make people jealous? No one on SD claims to have gotten a shipping notice either.
Nobody on any forum I have seen has actually admitted they received a shipping notice. I highly doubt this is a stock problem, it's Target realizing they were losing at least $50 on each copy and them trying to find a way to back out of the deal. How they have handled is really disgusting, lying with a shipment notice for early December, shifting that to January, and then canceling every single order with random $5 or $10 gift cards to those who complain enough.

I'm done buying blu ray at Target. The least they could do is just be honest, give everybody a $10 gift card, and cut their losses. Now they are just further antagonizing the people who they told "tough luck" rather than trying to rectify the situation.
Old 11-29-10, 03:30 PM

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

i'm more pissed at DVDtalk for not putting Dead on this than Target.
Old 11-29-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: (DEAD) Lord of the Rings Trilogy $7.99 @ Target.com

have had a couple PM's and emails requesting this thread be closed due to the deal being dead/canceled and everyone just venting their frustration.