Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Hastings / gohastings.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Hastings / gohastings.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
It's over. Two liquidators won the auction for the assets and will liquidate until Oct 31 at the latest.
RIP Hastings. Owe 70% of my 2000+ BD collection to you. The ONLY thing I won't forgive you for is for sending me Roland Emmerich's version of Godzilla a record seven times instead of the Criterion version ! :-)
Old 07-21-16, 08:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..I know what you mean..they sent me 6 copies of the Christian slater movie "alone in the dark" instead of the one with jack palance...
Old 07-21-16, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Well that is indeed unfortunate. So the obvious question becomes: Who replaces goHastings? Like many of you I built a big chunk of my collection and saved a ton of money doing it thanks in large part to goHastings. So where is the best place to fill that purchasing gap?
Old 07-21-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Well that is indeed unfortunate. So the obvious question becomes: Who replaces goHastings? Like many of you I built a big chunk of my collection and saved a ton of money doing it thanks in large part to goHastings. So where is the best place to fill that purchasing gap?
I'm going to try to NOT fill that purchasing gap. I'll be much better off not buying things from GoHastings just because they're cheap and I'd like to check them out. Both my wallet and my already groaning shelves will thank me.
Old 07-21-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I'm going to try to NOT fill that purchasing gap. I'll be much better off not buying things from GoHastings just because they're cheap and I'd like to check them out. Both my wallet and my already groaning shelves will thank me.
As much as it pains me to say it I have to agree. As would my wife.
Old 07-21-16, 12:45 PM

Strangely enough, a couple of my wishlist items are in stock - just when I had given up on them. Give your WL's a spin, maybe there are some last min surprises for you. Just remember, no refunds/exchanges.
Old 07-21-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

It's over. Two liquidators won the auction for the assets and will liquidate until Oct 31 at the latest.
Same way Tower Records died (except it was just one liquidator). They never had Hastings in my area, but it sucks that this crap keeps happening to media stores.
Old 07-21-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I think it's the likely end of cheaper used media items across the retail landscape. GoHastings was setting the used prices that many Internet pricing bots utilized for the basis of both music and movie items.

The studios have largely gotten what they wanted. Far fewer cheap, used copies will be floating around the marketplace for Hollywood product. Now that Internet retail has primarily shifted to Amazon, it's a loss for consumers across the board.

This is a bigger blow to physical media than many realize. Without a viable used market, physical media becomes less attractive.
Old 07-21-16, 03:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So is anyone holding out any hope for deals at the liquidations or will it be like everything else, inflated prices with fake discounts applied? I have a local Hastings but haven't been inside for at least a year and other than a good assortment of magazines I used to peruse haven't bought anything much longer. I may take a quick look tomorrow.
Old 07-22-16, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by rduncan
So is anyone holding out any hope for deals at the liquidations or will it be like everything else, inflated prices with fake discounts applied? I have a local Hastings but haven't been inside for at least a year and other than a good assortment of magazines I used to peruse haven't bought anything much longer. I may take a quick look tomorrow.
I don't expect any online sales for a last hurrah. They will likely suspend online operations very soon as continuing that will mean personnel and shipping logistics, which they don't have the cash for. So all final sales should be relegated to B&M's. I would still suggest taking a look at their 'Used Blowout' inventory and get some last minute stuff with the 'USED40' coupon code for 40% off items in that list. That's about the best I expect online offerings to be before they wind down
Old 07-22-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
I don't expect any online sales for a last hurrah. They will likely suspend online operations very soon as continuing that will mean personnel and shipping logistics, which they don't have the cash for. So all final sales should be relegated to B&M's. I would still suggest taking a look at their 'Used Blowout' inventory and get some last minute stuff with the 'USED40' coupon code for 40% off items in that list. That's about the best I expect online offerings to be before they wind down
I agree. The LCS manager has a connection at the store here and is awaiting notification of a "blow out" on "Hero Clicks" to pick up some older stuff cheap for them to resell. I don't know if I'll bother with the local store or not as the last time I paid it a visit the store was a mess, looking like a 3rd rate flea market stall.

**UPDATE**
Hurry if you want anything from gohastings (bolding mine):

Going-Out-of-Business Sales to Begin at All Hastings Entertainment Stores

Hilco Merchant Resources & Gordon Brothers Group to Manage Sales Event

BOSTON, July 22, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Hilco Merchant Resources and Gordon Brothers Group announced today that they will begin going-out-of-business sales at all Hastings Entertainment ("Hastings") retail locations beginning Saturday, July 23rd. The joint venture partners were the successful bidders at the bankruptcy auction that took place on July 20th. Sales will offer discounts of up to 30 percent on the entire stock of books, videos, games and music.

Founded in 1968, Hastings is a leading multimedia entertainment retailer that combines the sale of new and used books, videos, video games and music. In June, the company initiated a comprehensive process to evaluate potential buyers of the business and, as part of that process, filed voluntary petitions under Chapter 11 of the U.S. bankruptcy code. Hastings operates 123 superstores, averaging approximately 24,000 square feet, primarily in medium-sized markets throughout the United States.

"At Hastings, our mission has always been to bring our customers a diverse array of entertainment products and collectibles to appeal to many interests," said Jim Litwak, President & COO, Hastings Entertainment, Inc. "Our hope was that the Chapter 11 process would help to prepare our business for the intended sale while also providing additional protections and financing to allow us to serve our customers as usual. Unfortunately, this process was unsuccessful. We thank our loyal employees and customers and encourage all to take advantage of the incredible savings this sale will offer on the superior selection of multimedia and entertainment products you have come to expect from Hastings."

A representative of the joint venture said, "We anticipate these well-known new and used movie titles, games and books to sell very quickly at up to 30 percent off the original price. Customers are encouraged to shop early for the best selection of their favorite products."

Merchandise will no longer be available on www.gohastings.com. Sale discounts apply in-store only. Furniture, fixtures and equipment are also available for sale.
I think they're somewhat optimistic about how "quickly" stuff will sell with only a "up to" 30% discount. At least to those of us who regularly purchased from gohastings. I know that prices at the store here are 20-30% higher than online and they *regularly* run a B2G1 free used sale, which is a ~33% discount. Their new product is already overpriced and 30% off will bring it into WM range. Of course there are lots of people who truly don't know what a bargain is and will purchase stuff at those low discounts thinking they got one anyway.

October 31st is their final day to be open although some stores could close earlier if sales don't meet expectations.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-22-16 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-22-16, 01:52 PM

And BTW, the 'Specials' tab (Red colored) on top which had all the coupon offers is gone. I tried the USED40 code on some items in my wishlist and it still works, except you won't get wind of coupon codes any more since that section on the main page is gone now. And as mentioned before, the USED40 code ONLY works on select titles, not ALL used stuff.

I feel the passage of time and age as I see retail institutions like these disappear. And the last time, I felt it was when the Circuit City store near me announced its shuttering plans. Just don't know what the media landscape will be like in a few years from now

EDIT: Ok, BobO'Link's post above this tells you why that tab is gone. So long, Hastings !

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 07-22-16 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-22-16, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the passage of time and age as I see retail institutions like these disappear. And the last time, I felt it was when the Circuit City store near me announced its shuttering plans. Just don't know what the media landscape will be like in a few years from now
One thing I know for sure, I will NEVER buy anything in digital format.
Old 07-22-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

And BTW, the 'Specials' tab (Red colored) on top which had all the coupon offers is gone. I tried the USED40 code on some items in my wishlist and it still works, except you won't get wind of coupon codes any more since that section on the main page is gone now. And as mentioned before, the USED40 code ONLY works on select titles, not ALL used stuff.

EDIT: Ok, BobO'Link's post above this tells you why that tab is gone. So long, Hastings !
I have a bunch of used Blu-rays in my wish lists & that 40% code does not work. I notice last night they removed the coupon page. Time to just remove the site from the net. It was great while it lasted, RIP GoHasting.
Old 07-22-16, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still see the "Coupon page" and tab on firefox - and I did a forced full reload just in case I was seeing a cached version of the page - it's still there... what browser are you guys using? Not that I'll be using it... Of course I don't know that I'm willing to risk a online order from them at this point. I got lucky with the 2/$14 new DVD sets and am ready to go out on a positive note.
Old 07-22-16, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I still see the "Coupon page" and tab on firefox - and I did a forced full reload just in case I was seeing a cached version of the page - it's still there... what browser are you guys using? Not that I'll be using it... Of course I don't know that I'm willing to risk a online order from them at this point. I got lucky with the 2/$14 new DVD sets and am ready to go out on a positive note.
Using Chrome and don't see it. I felt adventurous and went ahead with a 2 item order for $7 total. Paid with a CC, so little risk there
Old 07-22-16, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Home from work... not showing on any system or browser now. They also removed the links at the bottom of pages so the only way to get to your wishlist is to log in and do it from the account page or a product page. I expect those to go away soon.

Part of me wants to go to the local store tomorrow to see just what they might have and get a pricing idea but then the pragmatic part surfaces and says "nope... won't be worth the trip" and it's only ~2 miles from the house.
Old 07-22-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I just called them about my one last outstanding order... and was told if it got to the store in time and got a tracking number it would be fulfilled. She checked and I am in the good. I asked how long would the site be up and she told me they are beginning to shut it completely down a portion at a time...

Truly sad sad day for physical media..
Old 07-22-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I absolutely do not understand why they'd shut it down "a portion at a time." If you're ending online sales then turn it off and put up a "Sorry, we're closed for online business but check your local store for incredible going out of business deals" type notice.

Yes, a very sad day.
Old 07-22-16, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a direct link to the coupon code page:
https://www.gohastings.com/custserv/...me=CouponCodes

I searched for qualifying titles for the USED40 code and threw one in the shopping cart and the code worked. Now whether they would actually ship anything however...
Old 07-22-16, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Thought I'd get one more Used40 cart done. I had about $25 (Inc shipping) which was a good amount of CDs and DVDs. Just when I was about to check out.... Boom... The website is now no longer available... Sad
Old 07-22-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by b2net
Thought I'd get one more Used40 cart done. I had about $25 (Inc shipping) which was a good amount of CDs and DVDs. Just when I was about to check out.... Boom... The website is now no longer available... Sad
Still working for me...
Old 07-22-16, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Despite initially poor experiences with GoHastings, they ended up being a fine source of cheap, used Blu-rays. I'll miss them.

If you knew exactly when their sales would begin, a number of great deals could be had before others found out. As long as one wasn't picky about condition and made sure never to order something with a common title that could be mistaken as something else, they were a good seller.
Old 07-23-16, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Still working for me...
I had it up as well and actually glanced at my wish list for a few minutes.

Now it appears to be "down" for good with the page indicating their going out of business sale.
Old 07-23-16, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

The site is History!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.