Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Hastings / gohastings.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Hastings / gohastings.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

So long, Hastings. It was good while it lasted. Even if someone acquires you, I doubt we shall see the bargains we have been accustomed to. That the Sun's setting on businesses like these has been proven to be a reality and here's raising a toast to another one before it bites the dust
Old 06-11-16, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
They are laying off people and might go out of business if a buyer isn't found:

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/3...-plant-closing

"Hastings has been working diligently to overcome our business challenges and we have made significant progress with a remerchandising strategy and other initiatives aimed at increasing profitability. To continue our transformation, we have initiated a comprehensive process to identify a buyer or investor that will give us the additional financial stability we need to move forward. While we are hopeful a sale agreement will be reached, we also have a responsibility to prepare for all contingencies. As a result, we were obligated to formally notify our associates that, if a sale agreement cannot be achieved in a timely manner, we may need to begin downsizing our corporate office and/or closing the entire Hastings chain due to our continuing financial challenges. Our management team believes there are a number of parties that would be interested in acquiring our brand, and we are doing everything possible to create a strong future for our business and for this great team." (2:58 p.m., Friday June 10).
http://www.newschannel10.com/story/3...-plant-closing
Old 06-11-16, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I had only a few issues with Hastings over the long period of time I ordered from them. I don't know if there is another used retailer that I have ever purchased as much from.
Old 06-11-16, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Wasn't it GH who decided to sell more non-movie merchandise only a few years ago? I always wondered why they decided to do that. Seems to me a movie-only business with a few related items would do better than trying to sell comics, and a bunch of other stuff.

In any case, I hope they stay in business. It has certainly worked for me, even not including their "mistake" sales.
Old 06-12-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Wasn't it GH who decided to sell more non-movie merchandise only a few years ago? I always wondered why they decided to do that. Seems to me a movie-only business with a few related items would do better than trying to sell comics, and a bunch of other stuff.

In any case, I hope they stay in business. It has certainly worked for me, even not including their "mistake" sales.
Usually it's a move when the original business or market is shrinking.

I've bagged on GoHastings in the past for some of their practices but generally I was happy with my orders from them. You just had to understand some of their quirks (used CDs won't come in great condition, never order rare discs with common names from other releases, etc) but I found some great used deals.

They've been supposedly losing money for a while. They changed owners I believe in the last year or two, which is when they started tightening up their sales practices. I guess it wasn't enough.

It's sad that Amazon may be the media seller of last resort, because they don't care one iota about that business.
Old 06-12-16, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I still buy used (and even new) releases from eBay sellers. Very few good sellers these days, but if I order one title and it arrives in good condition, I keep coming back.
Old 06-12-16, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Usually it's a move when the original business or market is shrinking.
Yeah, I was a manager for KB Toys for the last 11 years they were open. Over the last 3 or so, the company really struggled with bringing in crap that you would not normally find there(clothing, furniture, electronics accessories, lip glosses, etc.) in the name of finding incremental sales(sales that we didn't ever get previously) so that they could say that there was an improvement.
We (in the stores) could definitely tell that it was not working, but there was nothing we could do to fix it. Always sad to see people lose jobs.
Old 06-12-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by rwsharpjr
Yeah, I was a manager for KB Toys for the last 11 years they were open. Over the last 3 or so, the company really struggled with bringing in crap that you would not normally find there(clothing, furniture, electronics accessories, lip glosses, etc.) in the name of finding incremental sales(sales that we didn't ever get previously) so that they could say that there was an improvement.
We (in the stores) could definitely tell that it was not working, but there was nothing we could do to fix it. Always sad to see people lose jobs.
I remember KB Toys' transformation from serious Toys 'R Us competitor to junk retailer.

Retail is just a brutal business in the Internet age as Millennials abandon traditional shopping patterns.

Pretty much the only retailers guaranteed to be around in ten years are Walmart and Amazon.
Old 06-12-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

They've always had *some* non-movie/book/music/gaming stuff at the store here as well as comics and comic TPBs along with a huge magazine section. I used to go in on a bi-weekly basis looking for books for my wife or used CDs for me but I got to the point with music that they no longer carried what I was looking for and had built up such a huge backlog of novels for her that a couple of years ago I stopped to let her catch up. About a year ago when I went in looking for some video game stuff for my grandson, it had been at least a year since my last visit, I was shocked to find it looked like a flea market stall had taken over with poor lighting, overcrowded isles, shelves, and bins all showing little organization. I had to *ask* where the video game section was! The music and video sections had been reduced by half. Only the book area appeared to have been unaltered. It was so depressing that I've not been back since that visit but frequently purchase from the online outlet.

I, too, hope than manage to stay in business but I don't see how it'll happen without a significant infusion of capital and/or a complete overhaul of their business model.
Old 06-17-16, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

There's definitely something going on. The main page of the website states that Gift Cards will be honored only through 7/13.
Old 06-17-16, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

They filed for bankruptcy and owe millions.
Old 06-17-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^This. Chapter 11 for 30 days and then it's "Who knows" mode.

Movie pre-orders are suspended and existing deposits may be applied towards additional purchases in the store.

The buy-back program is suspended.

Video game rentals have been suspended (but not movies - very odd).

Here's a link with more information which also includes a creditor list. Universal tops the list with a unsecured claim of $3,704,634.20.
Old 06-17-16, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have a gift card, they'll be honored through 7/13.
Old 06-17-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Got an email from them this morning about some in store sales this friday and saturday. 2.99 for all used books priced under 29.99, buy one get one for $1 used dvds under 29.99, buy 2 get 1 for $1 used blue rays under 29.99, etc. Sounds like theyre trying to move some inventory to me.
Old 06-17-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Sounds like theyre trying to move some inventory to me.
Ya think?
Old 06-17-16, 12:24 PM

Gee..better return that Universal 'Dazed and Confused' that I got instead of the Criterion version (have never lucked out with Hastings on this) asap and get my refund...otherwise could be stuck with it
Old 06-17-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I never went to one but shopped online with them a few times and always hoped to make it to a physical location. They were always fairly decent seemingly. Actually my parents just went to one when they were out of town (they didn't know what it was) and told me how much I would have loved it because of all the cool stuff they have. I guess I probably won't make it to one.
Old 06-17-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Sounds like theyre trying to move some inventory to me.
Hoping, if they do go out of business, that there's a fire sale. Put aside $200 for it. Really bummed this place is going out of business about a month after I started collecting again.
Old 06-22-16, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Never like to see anyone go out of business. Bad sign all around.
Old 06-22-16, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The B&M aren't anywhere near me, but I've been buying used from these guys almost exclusively for years. I would be scared to know how much I've spent with them, but it's all been so cheap. I imagine if they go away my purchasing will dramatically decrease.
Old 06-22-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by xfilekr
The B&M aren't anywhere near me, but I've been buying used from these guys almost exclusively for years. I would be scared to know how much I've spent with them, but it's all been so cheap. I imagine if they go away my purchasing will dramatically decrease.
Same here. Ikea will miss out on additional shelving purchases from me and they can blame GH for going out-of-business.
Old 06-22-16, 11:13 AM

If you still have those targeted '30% off used' coupon codes (that Hastings used to send quite regularly sometime ago), here's a last chance for you to use then before they turn off coupons. Pay no attention to the expiry dates on them, they still work. However, remember they are all one time use only.
Old 06-22-16, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by xfilekr
Same here. I cannot imagine myself buying used from Amazon or Ebay with those outrageous shipping fees.
Old 06-22-16, 02:53 PM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I guess there won't be anymore new stock, I don't think anything new has shown up in my wishlist for the last week.
Old 06-22-16, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Physical store in our area is shutting down. I think I only went once but spent a lot of time browsing comics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.