Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Hastings / gohastings.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Hastings / gohastings.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Gotta love www.gohastings.com during the holidays.
Old 05-27-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to admit that after all my trials and tribulations with GoHastings, I'm glad I hung in there. The last two orders I placed were flawless. I even called them and praised them for it and they said they never get calls like mine, but that they were trying hard to get their act together. She told me they are aware of the criticism online and elsewhere and want that to change.
Old 05-29-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

My first GoHastings online order in about a year went in last week. I ordered 5 used BluRays on the cheap with the intent to add them to my UV locker via Vudu for $2 each.

Four of the 5 arrived yesterday. Two of those four included a DVD *and* a UV code in addition to the BluRay disc. Bonus! Got my fingers crossed for when the fifth shows up.
Old 06-09-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FUTUREDWIGHT coupon. 30% off 3 or more used mix and max movies books music. Through 6-12.

Picked up three Star trek movies, ST 2- 3- 4. Want to get the original ST but sold out will wait for next sale. Father's Day? GL.

Last edited by felcher; 06-09-13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 08:59 AM
Defunct Account

I looked around and the first four discs I wanted were out of stock (and unable to be ordered) so I gave up.
Old 06-09-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

It works best to keep a wishlist, that way you can quickly see what's in stock during these sales
Old 06-09-13, 10:41 AM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

damn addicted to these gohastings sale. no way you can build a collection on a dime than with these prices subject to only one thing - being in stock :-)

that being said, keep looking out - just received my package y'day from the previous 40% off sale:
Bridge on the RIver Kwai -2 disc SE with booklet - $11.98
Avatar - 3 disc extended edition - $9.50
Death Race - unrated 2 disc - $2.16
Marley and Me - 3 disc edition - $2.16
Ladykillers (Coen brothers) DVD - $1.03
Old 06-09-13, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Again.. I didn't get any DVDs or Blu's.. but fortunate some books my wife wanted were actually finally in stock and was able to snag em...
Old 06-09-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I have to admit that after all my trials and tribulations with GoHastings, I'm glad I hung in there. The last two orders I placed were flawless. I even called them and praised them for it and they said they never get calls like mine, but that they were trying hard to get their act together. She told me they are aware of the criticism online and elsewhere and want that to change.
The sales model they practice is genius. They ship from assorted gohastings stores to keep stock moving. You remember how much prerecorded new release VHS tapes were to buy in the 80s- 90s. Around a hundred dollars. Sometimes less but that was the intrigue of going to rental outlets and recording movies using an rf modulator. The ability to own a fully legal copy of any copyrighted product is amazing. All at one site. Blockbuster could have stayed open if they had a sales model like these guys. It's what makes America and being an American a priceless experience.
Old 06-10-13, 08:15 AM

i never had a problem with them - except the stock gets empty fast. Got my 3 Blu-rays.. no issue.
Old 06-10-13, 12:31 PM

fyi - noticed they had Mission Impossible TV Series - Season 4 on sale for under $8. Pretty wild price for that, but I don't remember S4 being that good.
Old 06-10-13, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by felcher
The sales model they practice is genius. They ship from assorted gohastings stores to keep stock moving. You remember how much prerecorded new release VHS tapes were to buy in the 80s- 90s. Around a hundred dollars. Sometimes less but that was the intrigue of going to rental outlets and recording movies using an rf modulator. The ability to own a fully legal copy of any copyrighted product is amazing. All at one site. Blockbuster could have stayed open if they had a sales model like these guys. It's what makes America and being an American a priceless experience.
I wouldn't exactly call it genius... most of my orders are for lots of $2 and $3 blu-rays with FREE shipping. They can't be making much money with this model if the majority of their orders are from people like me. Yes they are moving old stock (mainly rentals which have probably already made their money back) that probably otherwise wouldn't move but for most of my transactions they are probably losing money.

The thing I can't figure out is that our local Hastings never has anything used (blu-ray) for less than 8 or nine bucks. Where do all of these $2 and $3 blu-rays come from? Corporate?
Old 06-10-13, 04:57 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamGott
I wouldn't exactly call it genius... most of my orders are for lots of $2 and $3 blu-rays with FREE shipping. They can't be making much money with this model if the majority of their orders are from people like me. Yes they are moving old stock (mainly rentals which have probably already made their money back) that probably otherwise wouldn't move but for most of my transactions they are probably losing money.

The thing I can't figure out is that our local Hastings never has anything used (blu-ray) for less than 8 or nine bucks. Where do all of these $2 and $3 blu-rays come from? Corporate?
There is a difference b/w 'Used' and 'Previously viewed'. Its the latter that's cheaper because these are mainly from rentals that are stripped off special features/extra discs/digital copies/UV etc - its mostly just the feature itself. A used copy is one that's traded in by a customer and is 'most likely' a retail package full with all extra features and everything missing from the above. Its these that cost more. If you carefully look at GoHasting's listings, you will see this pricing difference. Maybe the PV discs are bulk sourced into their warehouses and not into retail stores. Also these two discs have two different UPC's which also explains why if you buy a PV disc from BB and are trying to scan it in into your bluray.com's account, your scan comes up with a 'title not found' hit because they are trying to match with a retail UPC.
Old 06-10-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I ordered a couple of used titles for around $3 each...nice and low risk. If all goes well and they look OK, I may dip more than my toes in next time.
Old 06-10-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't go overboard with unconditional praise. Have as many screwed up orders as I've had over the years and then assess their business model.
Old 06-23-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

30% off sale
Used Books, movies, cd's and games
code - OHHAMBURGERS
valid - 6/23-6/27

Not one of those buy X number of items to get XX% off sales.
Old 06-23-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Speaking of GoHastings, I got in on one of their most recent sales and was able to pick up the following...

Supernatural S7 - $10.01
A Night to Remember - $13.87

Good news, pretty good prices. Bad news, A Night to Remember came in a clear dvd sized case. By any chance does anyone know where I can pick up a Criterion Collection case at a decent price?
Old 06-23-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Aside from ex-rental stock they are trying to clear, their used prices during sales aren't so hot anymore considering the iffy condition of their inventory. Almost any decently priced used Blu-ray gets sold out by 3 AM once a sale goes live.
Old 06-23-13, 01:45 PM
Banned

Phantom, i know, the good shit disappears far too fast. i nabbed 6 titles for 30 bucks shipped. really happy with the price for sleepwalk with me (under 6), and the prices on officer down and sweeney are almost 3 bucks less than familyvideo's. so, not too shabby.
Old 06-23-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
Speaking of GoHastings, I got in on one of their most recent sales and was able to pick up the following...

Supernatural S7 - $10.01
A Night to Remember - $13.87

Good news, pretty good prices. Bad news, A Night to Remember came in a clear dvd sized case. By any chance does anyone know where I can pick up a Criterion Collection case at a decent price?
Not sure what you consider a "decent price," but Criterion themselves sell their Blu Ray cases for $5.00 including shipping.

I've gotten screwed buying Used Criterion Blus from Amazon Warehouse since they plaster a obtrusive sticker on the back of the case that cannot be removed without leaving awful residue. I asked Amazon why they continue to do this and the rep said that frankly he had no idea.

Picked up the non-blu MR. MOTO Vol. 2 box set during this new Hastings sale. Not a great price, but I've been wanting it for awhile and still cheaper than everywhere else.

Last edited by ProfessorEcho; 06-23-13 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-23-13, 04:14 PM
ed

I've gotten screwed buying Used Criterion Blus from Amazon Warehouse since they plaster a obtrusive sticker on the back of the case that cannot be removed without leaving awful residue.

I’m not pleased with the practice either. I’ve found WD40 (a small amount) to be effective in removing the remaining adhesive from DVD/Blu-ray cases after peeling off all/most of the label.
Old 07-03-13, 10:24 AM
Cool New Member

Gohastings website is currently unavailable, similar to how it was when it was down for like 4-5 days a while back. Perhaps they are just getting ready for a big 4th of July sale?

Edit*** Site is back up and no mention of a sale yet.
Old 07-03-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

During the last 30% off sale, I picked up WATCHMEN: ULTIMATE CUT Blu for $25 shipped! The box was a little beat up, but the discs were mint and the hardcover graphic novel that was included was still shrink wrapped. I finally got that once elusive ULTIMATE CUT Blu for a price I can live with!
Old 07-04-13, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Mix & Match Used Sale Valid 7/4-7/6. 40% off when you buy 4 or more used books, cd's, or movies, with code OOHHAAHH.
Old 07-04-13, 04:09 PM

Finally got some stuff that's been on my wish list that's usually sold out during these sales.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.