Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Hastings / gohastings.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Hastings / gohastings.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by joe_b
Just a follow-up. As it's not new deal related, I've spoilerized it for those that don't give a crap:
Spoiler:
Well, I never heard anything back via e-mail. I called Monday morning and was told there was absolutely nothing they could do until the order was billed to my credit card with full shipping charges. Only then could they refund shipping for each individual item. The woman on the phone was very sweet, but that seems like a messed up system. I refuse to believe there was no way the total couldn't have been adjusted before the charge went through. I actually called back and left a voice mail nicely requesting that someone higher up review my order and make the adjustment, but they've never responded.

The charge was posted this morning, so I called again during my break. The woman on the phone asked me to confirm the free shipping code, then put me on hold for about five minutes while she looked into it. She came back and told me that the code was valid until 10/02 (I got my order in a few minutes before midnight on 9/30), so they would honor the free shipping. No specific end date was listed for the code on their website, however. As the code didn't work at all on 10/01, she must have been mistaken about the end date.

The lady did act like she was making an exception or doing me a favor by refunding the shipping, but the code was correctly applied at the final checkout stage. Someone just decided to yank it five minutes early. Regardless, even if I entered the code at 11:59:59 PM and hit the order button at 12:00:01 AM, as long it still showed as applied at the final stage, they should always honor it. At least it's taken care of now.

I also get the feeling that the sales tax they charged on the shipping amount ($4.24) won't be refunded. I told the woman to make sure it was, but she just replied "They'll take care of the tax". However, I've sent back numerous damaged items to Hastings over the years and it's been my experience that they hardly ever refund the sales tax, even when I include a note about it. It's always a headache to convince this company that they've made a mistake.
Yeah, in my experience goHastings has the most unprofessional approach to customer service that I ever had to deal with pertaining to online retailers. Because of this and a few damaged or incorrect items being sent to me, I have stopped shopping there. Sure, with a free shipping code the prices are really low but the inconvenience of having to contact them about an error or having to send a defected DVD/Blu-ray back (sometimes more than once for the same item) I don't find it worth it anymore. I'd rather pay a little more and buy it in a store than deal with an incompetent online retailer.
Old 10-04-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I understand your approach, SuperMike, and I share it to a degree. I still deal with Hastings though in limited ways in order to preserve what's left of my sanity. I place small orders and I try to keep it all as simple as I can almost as if I were trying to make a deal with a toddler, LOL. My experience with Hastings customer service has been that they usually own up to their mistakes, in effect acknowledging their flawed system of operation. That contrasts with other places, such as Deep Discount, whose customer service often perpetuates the toddler mentality by being overly defensive or in not responding at all.
Old 10-07-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I also get the feeling that the sales tax they charged on the shipping amount ($4.24) won't be refunded. I told the woman to make sure it was, but she just replied "They'll take care of the tax".
Well, guess what? They didn't take care of the tax.

Once again, I have to call because this company is incapable of processing a refund correctly.

UPDATE: I'll save my future complaints for the store forum, but I had to share this.
Spoiler:
The woman I spoke to about getting the tax refunded was a real piece of work. She sounded like the same girl who does the voiceover for the menus when you call customer service. Seems nice enough, eh? She's not. I explained the situation to her and she told me: "Tax is included in the refunds." I tried to explain that she was mistaken. It's simple math:

My merchandise subtotal was $50.55.
They mistakenly added $70.68 in shipping.
They then added sales tax on the combined $121.23 amount ($7.30)
The final total they billed was $128.53.

So I told her she was wrong and that Hastings obviously did collect tax on the $70.68 shipping fee, as KY sales tax on the $50.55 merchandise subtotal is $3.06, not $7.30. Where did the extra $4.24 in sales tax come from if it was already included in the $70.68 shipping refund? I mean, this isn't rocket science here.

She retorted, "You're throwing numbers at me that aren't making sense. You are incorrect.". I told her I most certainly was not. "You were refunded FULL shipping charges, sir. I don't know how to make that any clearer." I won't deny that I was getting pretty pissed at that point. I asked her if she was denying that their company collected tax on shipping charges. She said no, she wasn't. I asked her where the extra $4.24 in tax came from, if not from the shipping. "It's not my business to know what your state charges in tax, sir. You are incorrect."

Anytime I tried to persuade her, she would just keep huffing like a mule and calmly repeat "SIR, your subtotal is $50.55. Your tax is $7.30. Your refunded shipping is $70.68. There is NOTHING else I can do for you." That was her mantra. She repeated it at least three times, as though it was enough to make me give up my argument. By that point, I was pretty flustered and on the verge of boiling. I asked if she was really that incapable of understanding what I was explaining. "I am NOT getting in an argument with you today, sir! I will send you a print out of your order if you need proof." I told her I had the confirmation e-mail in my hand. She told me she was done with this conversation and was going to hang up, so I asked to speak to her supervisor. She literally put me on hold for fifteen minutes before coming back and telling me they would now be refunding the tax. I guess her supervisor finally showed her how to use a calculator. "We're issuing a refund of $4.30 to your payment method." I told her I appreciated it, but that the tax was only $4.24. She let out a huge huff to get her point across, then in a monotone, robotic voice restated "SIR, I HAVE BEEN AUTHORIZED TO GIVE YOU A REFUND OF $4.30. I thanked her and she said nothing, just hung up. I got the message loud and clear: she was pissed and had no more time to suffer my abuse.

These people are morons. I will never give them any of my business again. I've gone back on that statement before, but not this time. I've never been treated that poorly or told I was wrong more times in a single phone call. To be fair, I'm sure I was raising my voice after having to explain the situation for the fifth time. Still, this chick was a total nightmare to deal with. I left a voice mail complaining about her treatment of the issue and telling them that they've lost a customer (After getting cut off twice because of the 90 second time limit. I'm sure they'll get a kick listening back to my multiple long-winded attempts to report her ass). I doubt they'll care. If fact, she'll probably be the one who hears it first.

Last edited by joe_b; 10-07-11 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-08-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Joe, I know this is a hassle, but I think you should do a follow up with them and report her poor customer service to someone at the corporate level. You could write a letter in the postal mail to the corporate office, a measure that is still one of the most effective ways of getting their attention, or you could try to find a number for their corporate office, not a toll free number cs line. And definitely make sure you send them a link to your public complaints about them in this forum and wherever else you may have posted them so they know this is reaching other potential customers.

I know you have probably already invested too much time trying to get this straightened out and I know it's already been resolved, but it's still a good idea for your own peace of mind and to ensure that the company knows what's going on. These days nobody seems to want to go the extra mile to get genuine customer service and a part of that means taking your issue to as close to the top as you can get. You might even get something for your trouble and all the stress you have had over this, but even if you don't, at least you will have the satisfaction in knowing you did everything you could to make them aware of this horrendous customer service.
Old 10-08-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
You could write a letter in the postal mail to the corporate office, a measure that is still one of the most effective ways of getting their attention, or you could try to find a number for their corporate office, not a toll free number cs line.
I actually DID write a problem I had to corporate. I printed it out, hand signed it and mailed it off half a year ago. I never did get a response. Granted, it was to the CEO, but you'd think they would have at least sent a form letter acknowledging my complaint.
Old 10-08-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ Thanks for your input, folks. I really do appreciate it.

I've already inquired about a corporate phone number for Hastings in the store forum. I would consider writing a letter to them as well, but given izatright's experience, it's probably not worth wasting a stamp over. I'll sorely miss the deals, but I'd just feel wrong shopping there again after yesterday's phone call. Sure, it's was just one clueless phone rep -- but she took "The Customer is Always Right" motto, poured gasoline on it and struck a match.

Last edited by joe_b; 10-08-11 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by izatright
I actually DID write a problem I had to corporate. I printed it out, hand signed it and mailed it off half a year ago. I never did get a response. Granted, it was to the CEO, but you'd think they would have at least sent a form letter acknowledging my complaint.
You know I originally left out the part about writing a postal letter when I made my post because I just had a feeling that Hastings would be a company where it wouldn't make any difference. I decided to add it in after all since I do believe that for most companies it does yield results. Your confirming its futility with Hastings only reinforces my original assumption, but I honestly don't know why I felt that way in the first place outside of reading about Joe's awful experience. Weird.

As I said previously, Hastings patronage should only be in small doses. They obviously have no conception of how to play on a level field with a company like Amazon.
Old 10-09-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you hit the nail on the head about calling them. That's the only time I've ever had results.
Old 10-12-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OKTOBERFEST .96 shipping still on til the 15th. Got Das Boot and a couple musicals for 10 bucks total.
Old 10-15-11, 10:03 AM

Here are some codes that expire 10/31:

SPOOKYDEALS - $5 of $20 or more in dvds, books, cds, and videogames
SAVINGSBD20 - 20% off blu-rays
SAVINGS1DVD - Buy 2 dvds Get 1 for $1
Old 10-15-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toldawg128
Here are some codes that expire 10/31:

SPOOKYDEALS - $5 of $20 or more in dvds, books, cds, and videogames
SAVINGSBD20 - 20% off blu-rays
SAVINGS1DVD - Buy 2 dvds Get 1 for $1
Cool. Thanks for the codes. Just used SAVINGSBD20 and it worked. Now the waiting game begins with fingers crossed that the order doesn't get cancelled.
Old 11-11-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PAPA SMURF - 20% off Blu's right now through tomorrow
Old 11-14-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

$0.96 shipping on all items... use code REINDEER
Old 11-14-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-17-11, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Free shipping on orders over $40. Enter code HOHOHO.

[[edit]] today only.

Last edited by b2net; 11-17-11 at 05:26 PM. Reason: clarify time coupon valid
Old 11-20-11, 02:36 PM

Received a 20% off coupon that I'm not going to use - entire cart/used items. Unknown if it's only good for my email account or not. Please advise if you are able to use it.

EXCXN47
Old 11-24-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

20% off Used Blu code BLACKFRIDAY good through 11/26
Old 11-27-11, 01:57 AM

30% off used Blu Code: CYBERMON

I got Sweet Smell Of Success for $12.43 shipped. Hope it comes in good shape.
Old 11-28-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the code not for all blu, dvd, and cd? Some seem to work while others dont.
Old 11-28-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xfilekr
It should be on all USED/PREVIOUSLY VIEWED, but not new if this what you are possibly referring to.
Old 11-28-11, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hhmmm...not working for several used items. I'll try later, no biggie
Old 11-28-11, 08:46 AM

Robot Chicken III (used) Blu-Ray with code CYBERMON = bargain at $7.79 delivered
Old 11-28-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xfilekr
I had trouble last night with Breakfast at Tiffany's. I went back in this morning and it worked. Maybe a glitch that they've fixed?
Old 12-10-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

50% off shipping on orders over $40... with code SLEIGHBELLS good this weekend only...

Last edited by b2net; 12-10-11 at 01:32 PM. Reason: clarified order total
Old 12-10-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
50% off shipping on orders over $40... with code SLEIGHBELLS good this weekend only...
So let's say you buy one item at $40. You save $1.09. Wow. Merry Christmas from GoHastings!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.