DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Hastings / gohastings.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/582319-hastings-gohastings-com-discounts-deals-blu-ray.html)

izatright 07-29-16 01:09 PM

Re: Hastings / gohastings.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Ordered a few copies of the "Complete Game of Thrones Seasons 1-5 on DVD" from them via Amazon. Got a few copies of a Spanish praise and worship CD instead. When I emailed, they basically said what they told other people: too bad; we're bankrupt. So I filed an A-Z claim with Amazon and got my money back that way.

Oh, and I got to keep the Spanish praise and worship CDs, so... I came out... ahead?

Cardsfan111 07-29-16 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by izatright (Post 12862311)
Oh, and I got to keep the Spanish praise and worship CDs, so... I came out... ahead?

Si, Señor!

BobO'Link 07-29-16 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by izatright (Post 12862311)
Ordered a few copies of the "Complete Game of Thrones Seasons 1-5 on DVD" from them via Amazon. Got a few copies of a Spanish praise and worship CD instead. When I emailed, they basically said what they told other people: too bad; we're bankrupt. So I filed an A-Z claim with Amazon and got my money back that way.

So even in bankruptcy they're *still* selling via Amazon?!? That's just plain insane and stupid! I hope after your experience Amazon wakes up and closes their account.

izatright 07-30-16 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 12862442)
So even in bankruptcy they're *still* selling via Amazon?!? That's just plain insane and stupid! I hope after your experience Amazon wakes up and closes their account.

Actually, I put the order in two days before they yanked their stock. Lucky, I guess. :P

mattysemo247 11-02-16 03:51 PM

I got an email today and thought this was pretty funny

Dear Hastings Loyalty Club Members,

It has been our pleasure to serve you over the years and we thank you for your business. We are pleased to announce that goHastings.com has been acquired by Calendars.com, the largest online retailer of calendars plus games, collectibles, toys and gifts! Our friends at Calendars.com will be your new source for all your pop culture favorites. Here’s an exclusive introductory gift to welcome you into the Calendars.com family.

http://images.gohastings.com/web/ass...ome/1_Hero.jpg

DVD Polizei 11-02-16 04:06 PM

Well, at least I know my email was sold to another outfit. I can finally take a breather. I'm not too excited about buying movies from a website that sells calendars.

DVD Josh 11-02-16 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12937034)
Well, at least I know my email was sold to another outfit. I can finally take a breather. I'm not too excited about buying movies from a website that sells calendars.

I'm pretty sure Gohastings sold calendars.

DVD Polizei 11-02-16 06:29 PM

I'm sure they did. But they weren't called GoCalendars, primarily selling calendars. At least, not like this on their main page:

https://s21.postimg.org/4jx9pyplz/20...Buy_Calend.png

I'm sure they sell Blu-ray movies. Somewhere. Or maybe it's buy 2 calendars and get one movie free. :shrug:

It's like subscribing to a shaving club for men, and normally getting deals on shavers and related items. Then it goes out of business, and you get an email stating that Tampons.com has bought your shaving club for men, and you get 20% off their products. I mean, great products for others, but they're just not for me and what I was used to in the past.

DVD Josh 11-02-16 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12937146)
I'm sure they did. But they weren't called GoCalendars, primarily selling calendars. At least, not like this on their main page:

https://s21.postimg.org/4jx9pyplz/20...Buy_Calend.png

I'm sure they sell Blu-ray movies. Somewhere. Or maybe it's buy 2 calendars and get one movie free. :shrug:

It's like subscribing to a shaving club for men, and normally getting deals on shavers and related items. Then it goes out of business, and you get an email stating that Tampons.com has bought your shaving club for men, and you get 20% off their products. I mean, great products for others, but they're just not for me and what I was used to in the past.

A bizarre, yet oddly appropriate, analogy.

Strapped4Cash 11-03-16 11:04 AM

I've ordered from Calendars .com a few times in the past and always been very happy with them. Lots of sales too. They've always used well-packed boxes, unlike say, Gohastings.

I, of course, have no idea what new items they will or won't be carrying now, but I'm good with it.

TheBang 11-03-16 07:05 PM

Damn. I forgot to do what I usually do when a web retailer goes out of business, which is login to my account and change all the information to garbage data.

E Unit 12-08-16 09:06 AM

Wow, I had no idea they folded completely.

https://www.gohastings.com/sorry-were-closed-1.jpg

stingermck 12-08-16 09:38 AM

Who still buys calendars???

Strapped4Cash 12-08-16 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 12964658)
Who still buys calendars???

I do. I've been buying the A Song of Ice and Fire (the Game of Thrones books) calendars since they started putting them out. I also usually wind up with another random one every year.

b2net 12-08-16 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12964626)
Wow, I had no idea they folded completely.

https://www.gohastings.com/sorry-were-closed-1.jpg

As sad as that is, yep....

PhantomStranger 12-08-16 04:01 PM

I never expected to see this thread again.

rduncan 12-09-16 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12964997)
I never expected to see this thread again.

Yet people like me won't let it die. Actually I rarely shopped at the local retail store but still am saddened when I pass near the closed store. In fact the other end of the shopping center also has a closed K-Mart that preceded them in closing by a couple years.

BobO'Link 12-09-16 12:19 PM

We were talking about Hastings at the LCS Wednesday. In spite of them being a competitor of sorts (Hastings sold comics but didn't offer files/pull lists) they hated to see them close. It's another local employer shuttered. People lost jobs. In spite of being a larger cooperation, Hastings was *still* mostly local and felt like a local business rather than a large chain store.

Our K-Mart closed during the same time-frame as the Hastings' closing. Even though I rarely shopped K-Mart, and won't miss the store, it was more local jobs gone.

PhantomStranger 12-09-16 01:58 PM

I still vaguely pine for the passing of Circuit City. I spent more time browsing in that store than I care to admit.

I think local retail will be gone in another generation. It will be all services you can't necessarily ship that are left.

E Unit 12-09-16 02:26 PM

What's sad is that the space where Circuit City was that was closest to me still remains unoccupied. And it's in a shopping center that's remained really busy all these years. Kind of weird they still can't get any other retailer into it.

BobO'Link 12-09-16 02:41 PM

Best Buy went into our Circuit City location. Overall, I liked CC better than I like BB. But I *have* gotten a few good deals from BB.

I just don't go to BB often due to them limiting physical media to less than WM carries plus it's in a mall which is in a *very* high traffic area. I just avoid going to that mall unless it's for a *really* good deal at Target or BB and usually take advantage of the visit to go to Barnes & Noble to check out bargain books. It's a ~5 minute drive from my house to that mall but during peak traffic it can take 20 minutes or longer, even taking back roads, all because of the intersections in the mall vicinity getting backed up due to poor planning, sections of lights that are ~200 yards apart and poorly timed, and the intersecting roads being at ~150% of capacity.