Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Wal marts Official black friday ad

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wal marts Official black friday ad

Originally Posted by sotra
To me the difference seems to be that you can go and get the wristband and then leave to come back at 5am. I'll be shocked if they let you get more than 1-2 wristbands.
At least WM is much better than BBy wrt to quantities on hand. BBy sucks big time and only have up to 15 of each item. Stopped going there first thing years ago.
I have to work 7am to 7pm this year, but I'll probably go to WM at midnight for the BDs and videogames and possibly get 1-2 wristbands.
I agree on Walmart having better quantities (of most items). I originally thought that you could get the 5 AM doorbusters wristbands at midnight, but then scarredgod said they couldn't hand them out until 5 AM but I guess he was talking about last year only.

So, are we all certain that not only movies and video games will be available at midnight but also the wristbands for 5 AM doorbusters? If yes, then I don't know how they'd limit people from getting multiple wristbands (people could put them in their pocket and get back in line). Also, the doorbusters are usually scattered in different departments or in the main aisles, so I'd expect people to get several wristbands (though only 1 per item). If all of this is true, then I believe Walmart has moved the mad rush from 5 AM to midnight with the only difference being you have to come back again at 5 AM to pick up your doorbusters.
Old 11-19-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
I agree on Walmart having better quantities (of most items). I originally thought that you could get the 5 AM doorbusters wristbands at midnight, but then scarredgod said they couldn't hand them out until 5 AM but I guess he was talking about last year only.

So, are we all certain that not only movies and video games will be available at midnight but also the wristbands for 5 AM doorbusters? If yes, then I don't know how they'd limit people from getting multiple wristbands (people could put them in their pocket and get back in line). Also, the doorbusters are usually scattered in different departments or in the main aisles, so I'd expect people to get several wristbands (though only 1 per item). If all of this is true, then I believe Walmart has moved the mad rush from 5 AM to midnight with the only difference being you have to come back again at 5 AM to pick up your doorbusters.
Which is pointless
Old 11-21-10, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
Will Walmart have these online? Does anyone know of any nice (in terms of a good Blu selection) Walmart stores about 100 miles north of the CA border in Oregon (close to Canyonville)?
There is a regular WalMart in Roseburg, about 20 miles north of Canyonville, and a SuperCenter in Grants Pass, about 30 miles south of Canyonville.
Old 11-21-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Which is pointless
Camp out only til midnight, get your doorbuster ticket, sleep off some turkey for a while, wake up and bam, Pick up your shit. Seems pretty solid to me. Plus you probably can pick it up any time before 11 like always.
Old 11-21-10, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moopher
Camp out only til midnight, get your doorbuster ticket, sleep off some turkey for a while, wake up and bam, Pick up your shit. Seems pretty solid to me. Plus you probably can pick it up any time before 11 like always.
This actually sounds pretty great to me too. I hope this is what they are doing this year. It will make the mere notion of going a lot easier to handle.
Old 11-21-10, 02:55 AM

Does anyone think it'll be a problem to snag plenty of those $5 blurays at midnight? Or will we have to wait in line with everyone rushing in to nab the wristbands only to find nothing left?
Old 11-21-10, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Only time will tell. I have a 12 hour shift from 7am to 7pm on BF. So, this works out good for me. I'll be there at midnight and might even grab a wristband or 2.
Old 11-21-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I haven't heard anyone positively confirm that doorbuster wristbands will be available at midnight along with the movies and games. We are all hoping and speculating at this point based on the wording of someone's post. The couple people I know fairly well at the local Walmart have heard nothing yet and didn't even know they were starting at midnight. Hopefully someone here will confirm soon, but if not they'll tell me next week what they hear.
Old 11-21-10, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wizard of Oz for 10 bucks, what version is that?
Old 11-21-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ill mention again on the wristbands since i work at walmart. im speaking based on last year though and the lines started at midnight but we were not allowed to hand out the certifcates/wristbands until 5 am. your mileage could vary on this because every year there is lots of confusion, although all the heads of the lines did attend a meeting on how to handle things this year, and you can hit it lucky by getting someone who doesnt know what they are doing...this is walmart after all.

i will try to find out tomorrow what exactly they were told and post back.
Old 11-22-10, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

List of titles?
Old 11-22-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
List of titles?
That's what we'd all like to have
Old 11-22-10, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

List of titles?

Just go and find out. It very well could vary by store.

My only question is did Wal-mart open their dvd/blu shippers at midnight last year too? We got to the store about quarter to 5 only to find they were already open.. But they weren't picked clean by any means. I am def going this year at midnight.. so hopefully I'll be close to being alone to peruse the selection. (it wasn't busy in that section at all at 5 last year.

my main targets, the $5 blu's and True blood season 1.
Old 11-22-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Just go and find out. It very well could vary by store.
True, but it would be nice to know ahead of time, and of course it very well could mean that Amazon would pm said prices and then we would not even have to bother going As it stands though, yes will be going as well at midnight unless a list somehow leaks of course.
Old 11-22-10, 12:04 PM

List of titles?
http://www.walmart.com/ecircular/ca_...larfinder.gsp?
Old 11-22-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And what are the "other titles"?

Pretty sure everyone else here already realizes the titles that are in the BF ad itself We want to know what the over 60 titles are in particular that are not pictured.
Old 11-22-10, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Schloob1
And what are the "other titles"?

Pretty sure everyone else here already realizes the titles that are in the BF ad itself We want to know what the over 60 titles are in particular that are not pictured.
You will have to wait till 12:01am Friday to find out
Old 11-22-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can confirm that the policy this year is that you get your wristband/certificate at 5 am, i dont know where the 12 am thing came from but it is incorrect. of course you might hit it lucky but i wouldnt count on it.
Old 11-22-10, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by scarredgod
I can confirm that the policy this year is that you get your wristband/certificate at 5 am, i dont know where the 12 am thing came from but it is incorrect. of course you might hit it lucky but i wouldnt count on it.
Thats fine with me. I am only going for the movies and I can get them at midnight! other ppl will be fighting for position and standing in line for big ticket items and ill get the movies
Old 11-22-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

another thing i should mention, the store isnt going to close and reopen at midnight (the 24 hour stores). so then some new questions are...

what time will you go to walmart and camp yourself at the bluray display? hopefully the $5 and $10 displays are together or at least close by, and i wonder what kind of crowd will be around waiting for these. should be interesting.
Old 11-22-10, 09:54 PM

I may or may not go, but I'd definitely be worried about them starting the sale a little early and being left with squat at midnight. What are they going to do? Rope these Blu's off until midnight or something?
Old 11-22-10, 10:21 PM

another thing i should mention, the store isnt going to close and reopen at midnight (the 24 hour stores). so then some new questions are...

what time will you go to walmart and camp yourself at the bluray display? hopefully the $5 and $10 displays are together or at least close by, and i wonder what kind of crowd will be around waiting for these. should be interesting.
I've never actually made it to walmart on BF before the displays and pallets get opened..

Do they usually put the bluray display/pallet in the electronics area or what section? How will we know where to find it if everything is covered up?? Im nervous about getting there and then standing by the wrong box or something... : /
Old 11-22-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i imagine the blu rays will be in seperate cardboard 4 sided displays, one for the $5 and one for the $10, with wrapping around them and a worker guarding them until midnight and then they will peel it open and let the madness begin.

but, if they are on the floor unguarded before midnight they will be ripped open and movies removed so i plan to get there around 11 or so.
Old 11-22-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TM63975
I've never actually made it to walmart on BF before the displays and pallets get opened..

Do they usually put the bluray display/pallet in the electronics area or what section? How will we know where to find it if everything is covered up?? Im nervous about getting there and then standing by the wrong box or something... : /
last year, at my walmart, the sale dvd displays were by the food aisles and also in the lawn and garden center, not in electronics, so they could be anywhere.
Old 11-22-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm betting they are going to pull all the 5 and 10 dollar blu's off the floor and throw them in boxes, then just wheel out the boxes for the people frothing at the mouth and let them go to town looking through the boxes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.