Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by Jaymole
My wife keeps begging me to get the Blu-rays already, and I keep telling her to be patient and wait for the complete set...so far I am winning the battle
I think I'm losing mine. When I see that $40 price I will melt, despite the fact this set will be worthless when the final set is announced because the current one will be out on Blu in the spring. Others thing the final set will be just the all the movies, but I believe they'll offer up some pretty good exclusives to get people who own all 7 films to double dip.

Oh well, I'd rent each one maybe twice before next X-mas and that's about $30 anyway. I really just hate the idea that I'll be stuck with this set. Or I'll just end up giving it away.
Old 11-22-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tempted on WATCHMEN for $7.99, but would rather have THE ULTIMATE CUT. However, I don't regret passing on ULTIMATE when it was $35, even though it's OOP now and commanding much more. I just couldn't see paying $35 for one movie, no matter how long or epic it is. So now my dilemma is whether to get the DC on Blu or the ULTIMATE CUT on SD, which is currently $12 at DD. I don't think I need to own both and I'm concerned about the ULTIMATE disappearing forever because it was not successful on DVD.
Old 11-22-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I think I'm losing mine. When I see that $40 price I will melt, despite the fact this set will be worthless when the final set is announced because the current one will be out on Blu in the spring. Others thing the final set will be just the all the movies, but I believe they'll offer up some pretty good exclusives to get people who own all 7 films to double dip.

Oh well, I'd rent each one maybe twice before next X-mas and that's about $30 anyway. I really just hate the idea that I'll be stuck with this set. Or I'll just end up giving it away.
Just don't buy it, you weakling. Simple as that.
Old 11-22-10, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Tempted on WATCHMEN for $7.99, but would rather have THE ULTIMATE CUT. However, I don't regret passing on ULTIMATE when it was $35, even though it's OOP now and commanding much more. I just couldn't see paying $35 for one movie, no matter how long or epic it is. So now my dilemma is whether to get the DC on Blu or the ULTIMATE CUT on SD, which is currently $12 at DD. I don't think I need to own both and I'm concerned about the ULTIMATE disappearing forever because it was not successful on DVD.
thats the same thing ive been doing too. ive really wanted to get watchmen, but wanted the ultimate cut. its really tempting when i keep seeing the dc on sale, might just say screw it and get it
Old 11-22-10, 08:46 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy

Or, perhaps like me, you don't need things in a box or special packaging...but I understand why some people need that...I buy the movies, not the packaging...
Old 11-22-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mao
Or, perhaps like me, you don't need things in a box or special packaging...but I understand why some people need that...I buy the movies, not the packaging...
There is no one thing that makes this a tougher call that I'd like. But, again, I'd expect the final box set next Christmas to be much more than well packaged. I'd expect possibly even an extra disc of features.

But, as was mentioned, I'm a wimp. I will be ordering this despite the fact that I'll be giving it away in a year.

I was going to offer it to Kory, but not after THAT remark I'm not.
Old 11-22-10, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mao
Samehere I was going to buy this but it turn out I have it. I am at the point I have no room left and we are putting all the DVD in case (35 to a case). Only a hand full are staying in their boxes. All Blu-Rays are also if I had the DVD it goes in. Back to my point. Even when I did leave them in the boxes. So far there has only been 10 that I paid extra for 300 is one of them (ok there is 3 of those) and TV shows. For the live of me the steel books nice but not worth the price again if I only had 500 or so maybe.
Old 11-22-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drq2
Samehere I was going to buy this but it turn out I have it. I am at the point I have no room left and we are putting all the DVD in case (35 to a case). Only a hand full are staying in their boxes. All Blu-Rays are also if I had the DVD it goes in. Back to my point. Even when I did leave them in the boxes. So far there has only been 10 that I paid extra for 300 is one of them (ok there is 3 of those) and TV shows. For the live of me the steel books nice but not worth the price again if I only had 500 or so maybe.
I started collecting SteelBooks (got to eight) and realized what I was paying for. I hawked my Iron Man BD SteelBook for serious profit, and my James Bond SB's, but i'm still stuck with two of them. Content of the disc is what I really care about. Glad I realized that before I got too deep.
Old 11-22-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
"A Prophet" and "The Secret in Their Eyes" both now $14.99
Damn, all of the support on here for these movies just got me to blind buy them. Sounds like they'll be worth it and will probably retain some value for a while if I want to sell them later.
Old 11-22-10, 09:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by jiggyblau
Damn, all of the support on here for these movies just got me to blind buy them. Sounds like they'll be worth it and will probably retain some value for a while if I want to sell them later.
both are very good, but Secret was just amazing! not sure why you would think of selling as they wouldn't command much and are so much more in keeping.
Old 11-22-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
both are very good, but Secret was just amazing! not sure why you would think of selling as they wouldn't command much and are so much more in keeping.
I'm not planning on selling them...it's just in case I wasn't a fan. It seems like the prices haven't been near this low on them and they were recently released, so it seems like they would hold a bit of value for a while.

Don't worry, though - I put a lot of faith in my fellow dvdtalkers' opinions!
Old 11-22-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He would only sell them, I gather, if it turned out he didn't like them enough to own. These are great movie's though and belong in any film lovers collection IMHO. Having said that though, they will not appeal to everyone.

EDIT: Just saw the above post. That's what happens when you don't refresh a page fast enough and are browsing the Black Friday deals still.
Old 11-22-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
When they started putting UPC cutouts in slipcovers to prevent people slipping more expensive DVDs inside (e.g. slip a Criterion inside some DTV title with a printed slipcover bar code), I saw people whining that they were going to boycott these releases because the boxes were "ruined" and that uncut sleeves should be used and cashiers required to slip out the DVD to make sure a switch hadn't been made. When it was pointed out that except when they were playing the discs, the holes would be hidden on the shelf and they didn't care. They were so OCD and anal retentive, it was unrelated to reality. These people would rather pay $20 for a new disc than $4 for a BBV PPV disc because they didn't want anyone touching their discs or not getting the original box.
Old 11-22-10, 10:30 PM

If you're really hardcore about Harry Potter and really want to go all out... you can't really go wrong buying the individual Ultimate Edition releases. At least then you know you're getting better versions than even the single releases of the films.
Old 11-22-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Scored the $9.99 Prince of Persia by signing up for the "wait list" when it was sold out. The site pinged me and I had 2.5 minutes to add it to my cart.
Old 11-22-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
Scored the $9.99 Prince of Persia by signing up for the "wait list" when it was sold out. The site pinged me and I had 2.5 minutes to add it to my cart.
Wow, that's a neat little system they have set up, certainly good for those quick to sell out lightning deals
Old 11-22-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Wow, that's a neat little system they have set up, certainly good for those quick to sell out lightning deals
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much but that is the benefit of the new quicker system--less likely for people to sit on stuff and keep other people from getting it.
Old 11-22-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much but that is the benefit of the new quicker system--less likely for people to sit on stuff and keep other people from getting it.
I assume they were having it sell out in seconds but actually only selling like 1/2 or 2/3rds of what they thought they were selling from people not finishing checkout.
Old 11-22-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I assume they were having it sell out in seconds but actually only selling like 1/2 or 2/3rds of what they thought they were selling from people not finishing checkout.
Could be. I didn't even notice when it started. I just ran across the offer and clicked the wait list button.
Old 11-22-10, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
Is there still a Prime free trial? I have it, but someone else is asking me.
Yes, I signed up today for the free trial so I can get all these deal without trying to get the total to $25 for free shipping. Now I got free 2 days shipping. I just got an email from Amazon saying my movies shipped out already.

One month Amazon Prime free trial
Old 11-23-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE=AlexOi;10506559]Yes, I signed up today for the free trial so I can get all these deal without trying to get the total to $25 for free shipping. Now I got free 2 days shipping. I just got an email from Amazon saying my movies shipped out already.

Also if you are a student with an edu email you can get a free year, that is what I am currently on.

Oh and that amazon link has a referral code in it, you might want to get rid of the link before the mods do.
Old 11-23-10, 01:16 AM

hey amazon.com, if you are reading this: drop willy wonka, akira and grindhouse bds down to $10 each!
Old 11-23-10, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rubix
hey amazon.com, if you are reading this: drop willy wonka, akira and grindhouse bds down to $10 each!
This is going to be $30 forever. It never goes on sale, SO FRUSTRATING!
Old 11-23-10, 01:53 AM

Let's hope we get something awesome today. Road to Perdition? Se7en? One can hope.

I hope goldeneye and Donkey Kong get some good deals too.
Old 11-23-10, 02:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to the Future is down to $34.49. I'm guessing the Lightning Deal will be $30.00...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.