DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/581900-amazon-black-friday-sales-start-monday-november-22nd.html)

quid squid 11-14-10 01:14 PM

Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Only title I'm really hoping for a deal on is the Alien set.

nycdude 11-14-10 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 10489558)
I'd love to grab SPR for $10.

same here at that price. They should have put it at that price for Veterans Day. ;)

Josh-da-man 11-14-10 07:28 PM

Looking for Black Friday Deals?
You've come to the right place. And you were smart to get here early because we're starting early. Come back Monday, November 22, 2010, for a week of amazing Black Friday deals. We'll be adding new deals all day, every day, so you can visit anytime and find terrific prices. What can you do to get ready?
Sounds like they're going to be doing more of those fucking "lightning deals" again. :mad:

JamesDFarrow 11-15-10 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 10490638)
Sounds like they're going to be doing more of those fucking "lightning deals" again. :mad:

They just made a big change on how the Lightning Deals work too:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may notice something new with our Lightning Deals today. You now have a limited time to purchase a Lightning Deal after it has been added to your Cart. Now the opportunity to claim the limited number of discounts is made available to as many customers as possible.

This is how it works. After you add the deal to your Cart, you will have 15 minutes to make the purchase. You will be notified by an alert that will display in the upper right-hand corner of the page when you have 10 minutes remaining to make your purchase. You must check out within this timeframe to receive your promotional discount. If you have not purchased the deal before the time runs out, the discount will no longer apply to the product in your Cart and will be available to other customers who are interested in the deal.

Lightning Deals have a limited quantity, so it helps to move quickly if you see something you like.

For additional information, check out this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200417170

- The Gold Box Team
-----------------------------------
Amazon's discussion thread here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/di...x1UUUQ04J1P8HQ

James

Manzana 11-15-10 08:25 AM

Provided their web site is responsive during BF week (and I think it was last year), this is not a bad change. I think if you managed to get a Lightning deal in your account (and stayed logged in) you could wait many hours (or even until midnight to order), so if you didn't order that reservation went unused. This way if you don't order within 15 minutes, someone else will have a shot at getting it.

BUT, from my experience with the really good BF lightning deals, all of the reservations are gone in well under a minute and I doubt anybody will be waiting 15 minutes to place the order once they have the reservation, so I'm not sure this will make any noticeable difference (at least not on the "hot" items).

drq2 11-15-10 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by lizard (Post 10489936)
One advantage to Walmart and Target of advertising deals without listing all the titles is that Amazon and other competitors can't readily match them. However, it may well be that these deals are based on studio incentives, in which case Amazon might well have many of the same deals.

I hope, l hope...

I get to Wal-Mart about 8 or so no big deal as I am only there for the movies. What I have seen in the past 3 years is they have about 20 titles. Out of these titles there are 5 of each, $2.00, $5.00, $10 (or 7/.50), and up but not over $14. They have color stickers on them.

Target, I have never seen.

Oh the other hand, why OT. I do get checked out really fast at Target. I checkout at the food counter or pill place (I cannot spell it right now).

Lateralus 11-15-10 12:18 PM

So is there an easy way to find these lighting deals or do I have to surf around their site? I don't think I have ever seen one.

lizard 11-15-10 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by drq2 (Post 10491615)
I get to Wal-Mart about 8 or so no big deal as I am only there for the movies. What I have seen in the past 3 years is they have about 20 titles. Out of these titles there are 5 of each, $2.00, $5.00, $10 (or 7/.50), and up but not over $14. They have color stickers on them.

Target, I have never seen.

Oh the other hand, why OT. I do get checked out really fast at Target. I checkout at the food counter or pill place (I cannot spell it right now).

Walmart claims that they will have over 30 titles at $10 and over 60 at $5. That's a lot more than in previous years, which is why it has people interested. Target also says that they will have additional titles available at their advertised prices (one of which was $7.99 IIRC).

I'm hoping that Amazon will have the same titles at the same prices because I'm not about to try to drive 70 miles before dawn during deer migration season* to get to Walmart or Target. Last year's BF sale at Amazon had some significant bargains. This year may be better, given the low prices being advertised by the B&M competition.

*I just lost my car last month to collision with a deer at 5:45 AM (it was totaled and I took it to a metals recycling place to be crushed). I'm not about to risk my remaining car to save a couple of dollars on Blu-ray Discs.

lizard 11-15-10 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus (Post 10491671)
So is there an easy way to find these lighting deals or do I have to surf around their site? I don't think I have ever seen one.

Last year Amazon listed the titles and times for each lightning deal. They didn't list the prices until the day before each day's sales. That allowed us to plan which ones we wanted to get and be there to grab them.

Lightning deals are usually listed on the "Today's Deals" link at the top of the Amazon page; I suggest you check it out now to see how it works. Knowing which ones to expect last year was a big advantage and we had threads dedicated to it.

In addition to the planned lightning deals during Thanksgiving week, Amazon threw in some additional ones, especially on Black Friday.

The downside of lightning deals at Amazon is that you have to get your order over $25 for free shipping unless you have a "Prime" membership. But those who haven't used it before can get a free trial Prime membership. One way to get an order over $25 is to keep a some routine items in one's wish list to purchase when needed.

Travis McClain 11-15-10 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by lizard (Post 10491715)
*I just lost my car last month to collision with a deer at 5:45 AM (it was totaled and I took it to a metals recycling place to be crushed). I'm not about to risk my remaining car to save a couple of dollars on Blu-ray Discs.

Just glad you're okay. We totaled our car in '06 coming back from seeing a movie with friends. The road department had neither the budget nor the concern to have all the lamp lights going, and there was a deer standing in one lane, his tail in the middle of the road and his head hovering over the yellow line. The injury ended my wife's career in EMS. That was 16 October 2006 and we didn't hit Black Friday that year in stores, but it was the first year we tried to get in on online deals.

Incidentally, I've always been morosely amused because if we had been killed that night, they'd have found ticket stubs on us for The Departed.

RickWJ324 11-15-10 01:33 PM

I'm just hoping to find the latest WB/CW shows for $15 or less:
Smallville S9
Supernatural S5
One Tree Hill S7
and maybe Gossip Girl S3. I believe last year most of these shows were found between 10 and 15 bucks.

--Rick

Matthew Chmiel 11-15-10 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by lizard (Post 10491750)
Last year Amazon listed the titles and times for each lightning deal. They didn't list the prices until the day before each day's sales. That allowed us to plan which ones we wanted to get and be there to grab them.

In addition to the planned lightning deals during Thanksgiving week, Amazon threw in some additional ones, especially on Black Friday.

If you have an iPhone, I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting the Amazon app. A lot of the lightening deals last year sold out in mere minutes and the application shows all of the deals as they occur.

lizard 11-15-10 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10491806)
Just glad you're okay. We totaled our car in '06 coming back from seeing a movie with friends. The road department had neither the budget nor the concern to have all the lamp lights going, and there was a deer standing in one lane, his tail in the middle of the road and his head hovering over the yellow line. The injury ended my wife's career in EMS. That was 16 October 2006 and we didn't hit Black Friday that year in stores, but it was the first year we tried to get in on online deals.

Incidentally, I've always been morosely amused because if we had been killed that night, they'd have found ticket stubs on us for The Departed.

Sorry to hear that.

I was "fortunate" that I was blinded by oncoming headlights and didn't see the deer until I hit it, so I didn't swerve and crash, which has long been my big fear. No more driving at "deer-o'clock" for me. I plan to see the Harry Potter 7A movie on Friday, but will be coming home at around midnight when there will be no traffic and I can drive slowly. [Only two lane highways here, so no getting over into the right lane to let others speed by and take their chances. And street lights don't exist (which means I can see the Milky Way at night from inside the house when I turn out the lights).] Twilight and dawn are when the deer and elk are moving around the most. Especially during full moons.

lizard 11-15-10 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 10491867)
If you have an iPhone, I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting the Amazon app. A lot of the lightening deals last year sold out in mere minutes and the application shows all of the deals as they occur.

Sounds like a useful tool. But I'm one of the primitives who doesn't own a cell phone of any kind.

I don't recall any trouble scooping up the BF deals from Amazon last year.

davidh777 11-15-10 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by lizard (Post 10491715)
Walmart claims that they will have over 30 titles at $10 and over 60 at $5. That's a lot more than in previous years, which is why it has people interested. Target also says that they will have additional titles available at their advertised prices (one of which was $7.99 IIRC).

I'm hoping that Amazon will have the same titles at the same prices because I'm not about to try to drive 70 miles before dawn during deer migration season* to get to Walmart or Target. Last year's BF sale at Amazon had some significant bargains. This year may be better, given the low prices being advertised by the B&M competition.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10491806)

-eek- Glad you're both still around to post here. Sorry about your wife, though, MinLShaw.

comanche_doyle 11-15-10 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by RickWJ324 (Post 10491811)
Smallville S9
Supernatural S5
One Tree Hill S7
and maybe Gossip Girl S3. I believe last year most of these shows were found between 10 and 15 bucks.

--Rick

yeah. I got Smallville Season 8 for 9.99 plus I had the free 2 day prime shipping through the holidays, so it was sweet.

Ropes Pierre 11-15-10 03:58 PM

People whacking deers: are those whistles that you mount on your bumper effective to prevent hitting them?

On topic: I hope amazon sells deer whistles, and they offer them as a lightening deal before black friday (so people can drive safely, if they do work)

kenbenobi 11-15-10 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Isny (Post 10489544)

Thought I'd also point out that Amazon.co.uk will also be having a BF sale.

That's just weird they have started copying us. I don't think other UK stores do it, at least not when I lived there. But I guess it would be too late if they had their annual holiday sales on Boxing Day... Well, hopefully they will have some good bargains, perhaps on the nice BTTF tin they have!

Lateralus 11-15-10 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by lizard (Post 10491750)

Lightning deals are usually listed on the "Today's Deals" link at the top of the Amazon page; I suggest you check it out now to see how it works. Knowing which ones to expect last year was a big advantage and we had threads dedicated to it.

The downside of lightning deals at Amazon is that you have to get your order over $25 for free shipping unless you have a "Prime" membership. But those who haven't used it before can get a free trial Prime membership. One way to get an order over $25 is to keep a some routine items in one's wish list to purchase when needed.

Ah... I did not realize/forgot that is what they called them; I had great luck last year and hopefully I will do so again this year.

SuprVgeta 11-15-10 09:33 PM

I'm hoping for some deals on the Supernatural Blu-Rays, guess we'll wait and see... Best Buy and Wal-Mart don't have anything that is catching my eye right now. Hopefully Amazon can come through for me like it did last year :)

BlockbusterDude 11-15-10 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by lizard (Post 10489936)
One advantage to Walmart and Target of advertising deals without listing all the titles is that Amazon and other competitors can't readily match them. However, it may well be that these deals are based on studio incentives, in which case Amazon might well have many of the same deals.

I hope, l hope...

There has been more and more talk in the Black Friday threads about "studio incentives". I find this is very interesting.

I wonder if anyone in the forum has an inside scoop as too what Blu-rays might be included in these sales?

dugnarug 11-16-10 12:45 AM

This is a little off topic from blu-rays but do you think Amazon will price match their own Kindle with the $99 price BB is offering on the nook?

Evan Meadow 11-16-10 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by RickWJ324 (Post 10491811)
Smallville S9
Supernatural S5
One Tree Hill S7

--Rick

Well Best Buy for Black Friday will be having all seasons of Smallville for $10 each so its certainly possible Amazon will price match.

I'll probably go wait till they open since the Best Buy is just down the street from where I live.

DarbyD53 11-16-10 08:48 AM

I thought the Smallville for $10 was reg. DVD @ BestBuy

SoonerDoc 11-16-10 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by DarbyD53 (Post 10493295)
I thought the Smallville for $10 was reg. DVD @ BestBuy

it is. smallville blurays are not on sale.