Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Old 11-22-10, 08:29 PM
  #276  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,032
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
My wife keeps begging me to get the Blu-rays already, and I keep telling her to be patient and wait for the complete set...so far I am winning the battle
I think I'm losing mine. When I see that $40 price I will melt, despite the fact this set will be worthless when the final set is announced because the current one will be out on Blu in the spring. Others thing the final set will be just the all the movies, but I believe they'll offer up some pretty good exclusives to get people who own all 7 films to double dip.

Oh well, I'd rent each one maybe twice before next X-mas and that's about $30 anyway. I really just hate the idea that I'll be stuck with this set. Or I'll just end up giving it away.
dolphinboy is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 08:37 PM
  #277  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
ProfessorEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Middle, Nowhere
Posts: 2,016
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Tempted on WATCHMEN for $7.99, but would rather have THE ULTIMATE CUT. However, I don't regret passing on ULTIMATE when it was $35, even though it's OOP now and commanding much more. I just couldn't see paying $35 for one movie, no matter how long or epic it is. So now my dilemma is whether to get the DC on Blu or the ULTIMATE CUT on SD, which is currently $12 at DD. I don't think I need to own both and I'm concerned about the ULTIMATE disappearing forever because it was not successful on DVD.
ProfessorEcho is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 08:44 PM
  #278  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3,518
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
I think I'm losing mine. When I see that $40 price I will melt, despite the fact this set will be worthless when the final set is announced because the current one will be out on Blu in the spring. Others thing the final set will be just the all the movies, but I believe they'll offer up some pretty good exclusives to get people who own all 7 films to double dip.

Oh well, I'd rent each one maybe twice before next X-mas and that's about $30 anyway. I really just hate the idea that I'll be stuck with this set. Or I'll just end up giving it away.
Just don't buy it, you weakling. Simple as that.
Kory is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 08:44 PM
  #279  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 65
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
Tempted on WATCHMEN for $7.99, but would rather have THE ULTIMATE CUT. However, I don't regret passing on ULTIMATE when it was $35, even though it's OOP now and commanding much more. I just couldn't see paying $35 for one movie, no matter how long or epic it is. So now my dilemma is whether to get the DC on Blu or the ULTIMATE CUT on SD, which is currently $12 at DD. I don't think I need to own both and I'm concerned about the ULTIMATE disappearing forever because it was not successful on DVD.
thats the same thing ive been doing too. ive really wanted to get watchmen, but wanted the ultimate cut. its really tempting when i keep seeing the dc on sale, might just say screw it and get it
Dave23 is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 08:46 PM
  #280  
Mao
Moderator
 
Mao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 7,004
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
I think I'm losing mine. When I see that $40 price I will melt, despite the fact this set will be worthless when the final set is announced because the current one will be out on Blu in the spring. Others thing the final set will be just the all the movies, but I believe they'll offer up some pretty good exclusives to get people who own all 7 films to double dip.

Oh well, I'd rent each one maybe twice before next X-mas and that's about $30 anyway. I really just hate the idea that I'll be stuck with this set. Or I'll just end up giving it away.
Or, perhaps like me, you don't need things in a box or special packaging...but I understand why some people need that...I buy the movies, not the packaging...
Mao is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 09:07 PM
  #281  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,032
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by Mao View Post
Or, perhaps like me, you don't need things in a box or special packaging...but I understand why some people need that...I buy the movies, not the packaging...
There is no one thing that makes this a tougher call that I'd like. But, again, I'd expect the final box set next Christmas to be much more than well packaged. I'd expect possibly even an extra disc of features.

But, as was mentioned, I'm a wimp. I will be ordering this despite the fact that I'll be giving it away in a year.

I was going to offer it to Kory, but not after THAT remark I'm not.
dolphinboy is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 09:09 PM
  #282  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: It's always Hot!
Posts: 867
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by Mao View Post
Or, perhaps like me, you don't need things in a box or special packaging...but I understand why some people need that...I buy the movies, not the packaging...
Samehere I was going to buy this but it turn out I have it. I am at the point I have no room left and we are putting all the DVD in case (35 to a case). Only a hand full are staying in their boxes. All Blu-Rays are also if I had the DVD it goes in. Back to my point. Even when I did leave them in the boxes. So far there has only been 10 that I paid extra for 300 is one of them (ok there is 3 of those) and TV shows. For the live of me the steel books nice but not worth the price again if I only had 500 or so maybe.
drq2 is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 09:14 PM
  #283  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Moopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 3,238
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by drq2 View Post
Samehere I was going to buy this but it turn out I have it. I am at the point I have no room left and we are putting all the DVD in case (35 to a case). Only a hand full are staying in their boxes. All Blu-Rays are also if I had the DVD it goes in. Back to my point. Even when I did leave them in the boxes. So far there has only been 10 that I paid extra for 300 is one of them (ok there is 3 of those) and TV shows. For the live of me the steel books nice but not worth the price again if I only had 500 or so maybe.
I started collecting SteelBooks (got to eight) and realized what I was paying for. I hawked my Iron Man BD SteelBook for serious profit, and my James Bond SB's, but i'm still stuck with two of them. Content of the disc is what I really care about. Glad I realized that before I got too deep.
Moopher is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 09:42 PM
  #284  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 4,241
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
"A Prophet" and "The Secret in Their Eyes" both now $14.99
Damn, all of the support on here for these movies just got me to blind buy them. Sounds like they'll be worth it and will probably retain some value for a while if I want to sell them later.
jiggyblau is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 09:44 PM
  #285  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 36,495
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by jiggyblau View Post
Damn, all of the support on here for these movies just got me to blind buy them. Sounds like they'll be worth it and will probably retain some value for a while if I want to sell them later.
both are very good, but Secret was just amazing! not sure why you would think of selling as they wouldn't command much and are so much more in keeping.
OldBoy is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 09:52 PM
  #286  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 4,241
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
both are very good, but Secret was just amazing! not sure why you would think of selling as they wouldn't command much and are so much more in keeping.
I'm not planning on selling them...it's just in case I wasn't a fan. It seems like the prices haven't been near this low on them and they were recently released, so it seems like they would hold a bit of value for a while.

Don't worry, though - I put a lot of faith in my fellow dvdtalkers' opinions!
jiggyblau is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 09:57 PM
  #287  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
GenPion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,658
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

He would only sell them, I gather, if it turned out he didn't like them enough to own. These are great movie's though and belong in any film lovers collection IMHO. Having said that though, they will not appeal to everyone.

EDIT: Just saw the above post. That's what happens when you don't refresh a page fast enough and are browsing the Black Friday deals still.
GenPion is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 10:12 PM
  #288  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Around and about...
Posts: 1,400
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by Mao View Post
Or, perhaps like me, you don't need things in a box or special packaging...but I understand why some people need that...I buy the movies, not the packaging...
When they started putting UPC cutouts in slipcovers to prevent people slipping more expensive DVDs inside (e.g. slip a Criterion inside some DTV title with a printed slipcover bar code), I saw people whining that they were going to boycott these releases because the boxes were "ruined" and that uncut sleeves should be used and cashiers required to slip out the DVD to make sure a switch hadn't been made. When it was pointed out that except when they were playing the discs, the holes would be hidden on the shelf and they didn't care. They were so OCD and anal retentive, it was unrelated to reality. These people would rather pay $20 for a new disc than $4 for a BBV PPV disc because they didn't want anyone touching their discs or not getting the original box.
DirkBelig is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 10:30 PM
  #289  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 193
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

If you're really hardcore about Harry Potter and really want to go all out... you can't really go wrong buying the individual Ultimate Edition releases. At least then you know you're getting better versions than even the single releases of the films.
adam_omega is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 10:53 PM
  #290  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,788
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Scored the $9.99 Prince of Persia by signing up for the "wait list" when it was sold out. The site pinged me and I had 2.5 minutes to add it to my cart.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 10:56 PM
  #291  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Somewhere out there... YES THERE!!!
Posts: 7,936
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Scored the $9.99 Prince of Persia by signing up for the "wait list" when it was sold out. The site pinged me and I had 2.5 minutes to add it to my cart.
Wow, that's a neat little system they have set up, certainly good for those quick to sell out lightning deals
glassdragon is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 10:58 PM
  #292  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,788
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
Wow, that's a neat little system they have set up, certainly good for those quick to sell out lightning deals
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much but that is the benefit of the new quicker system--less likely for people to sit on stuff and keep other people from getting it.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 11:01 PM
  #293  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Somewhere out there... YES THERE!!!
Posts: 7,936
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much but that is the benefit of the new quicker system--less likely for people to sit on stuff and keep other people from getting it.
I assume they were having it sell out in seconds but actually only selling like 1/2 or 2/3rds of what they thought they were selling from people not finishing checkout.
glassdragon is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 11:06 PM
  #294  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,788
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
I assume they were having it sell out in seconds but actually only selling like 1/2 or 2/3rds of what they thought they were selling from people not finishing checkout.
Could be. I didn't even notice when it started. I just ran across the offer and clicked the wait list button.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 11-22-10, 11:55 PM
  #295  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 182
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
Is there still a Prime free trial? I have it, but someone else is asking me.
Yes, I signed up today for the free trial so I can get all these deal without trying to get the total to $25 for free shipping. Now I got free 2 days shipping. I just got an email from Amazon saying my movies shipped out already.

One month Amazon Prime free trial
AlexOi is offline  
Old 11-23-10, 12:03 AM
  #296  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Somewhere out there... YES THERE!!!
Posts: 7,936
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

[QUOTE=AlexOi;10506559]Yes, I signed up today for the free trial so I can get all these deal without trying to get the total to $25 for free shipping. Now I got free 2 days shipping. I just got an email from Amazon saying my movies shipped out already.


Also if you are a student with an edu email you can get a free year, that is what I am currently on.

Oh and that amazon link has a referral code in it, you might want to get rid of the link before the mods do.
glassdragon is offline  
Old 11-23-10, 01:16 AM
  #297  
Senior Member
 
Rubix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 795
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

hey amazon.com, if you are reading this: drop willy wonka, akira and grindhouse bds down to $10 each!
Rubix is offline  
Old 11-23-10, 01:20 AM
  #298  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 211
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Originally Posted by Rubix View Post
hey amazon.com, if you are reading this: drop willy wonka, akira and grindhouse bds down to $10 each!
This is going to be $30 forever. It never goes on sale, SO FRUSTRATING!
Spunkymonkey is offline  
Old 11-23-10, 01:53 AM
  #299  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 227
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Let's hope we get something awesome today. Road to Perdition? Se7en? One can hope.

I hope goldeneye and Donkey Kong get some good deals too.
Idioteque... is offline  
Old 11-23-10, 02:18 AM
  #300  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Re: Amazon Black Friday Sales Start Monday, November 22nd

Back to the Future is down to $34.49. I'm guessing the Lightning Deal will be $30.00...
RoadToPerdition is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.