Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Originally Posted by jrsl76
Aaaaah, Obviously TTRL is showing up in some markets. Why the f*** has it not arrived in LA?!?
Yea, mine was a special order from the opening week of the sale....didn't see any extras on the floor.
Old 11-18-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it comes down to it, I'll order it this weekend, but I was really trying to get it in store.
Old 11-18-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got The Magician and Seven Samurai for $37 total, after taxes. Not the best but definitely not bad either. Going to try again tomorrow as there are a couple more I want.

I didn't see any Eclipse titles there, unfortunately.
Old 11-18-10, 06:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsl76
If it comes down to it, I'll order it this weekend, but I was really trying to get it in store.
(In the voice of the kidnapper talking to Liam Neeson on the phone in 'Taken') Good luck.
Old 11-18-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have reserves at 2 stores, but they're screwing themselves if the get a shit ton of them after the sale is over. If they do, it's just going to sit at the store for quite a while.
Old 11-18-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Just reiterating how much bullshit it is that I still haven't received my initial order (for items in-stock) from almost 3 weeks ago.
Old 11-18-10, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Just reiterating how much bullshit it is that I still haven't received my initial order (for items in-stock) from almost 3 weeks ago.
If it makes you feel any better, I would bet money you'll receive your order before I receive my order from DeepDiscount two months ago.
Old 11-18-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Well, I tried to use 2 $5 coupons on Night of the Hunter and Thin Red Line, but the clerk remembered me from last time, and said I had already used the 11/30 coupon, but he did allow me to use the 1/30/11 coupon and the 15% off coupon. By rights, he could have disallowed both $5 coupons, so in my book, he was cool.
I had a similar experience today as I picked up Night of The Hunter and M. The manager basically said I only could use the $5 coupon once even though I requested separate transactions. However, he did say I could come back tomorrow and use it so that was cool of him. I guess I'll pick up M tomorrow.

Originally Posted by jwstl
I saw the BD of A Christmas Tale at my local store. Is it a worthy purchase?
IMO, yes. It's a family drama that isn't the usual syrupy Hollywood holiday get together film. There are some serious issues between the family members. However, there are some really funny scenes mixed in with some dramatic stuff as well.

I think Mathieu Amalic was great in this. And there's Catherine Denueve of course. I guess the fact that you can't seem to find this one in many stores makes it unique. I really enjoyed watching this film a second time.

Anyone have any opinions on another Denueve criterion--The Last Metro?
Old 11-18-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hope all Eclipse series coming out on bluray soon!
Old 11-18-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've spent more than I anticipated, but there's nothing like getting Criterions at a bargain price.

I planned to get 3 BDs, I'm up to 12 (11 BDs and 1 DVD box set) and I plan to call it quits.
Old 11-19-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparrow
I've spent more than I anticipated, but there's nothing like getting Criterions at a bargain price.

I planned to get 3 BDs, I'm up to 12 (11 BDs and 1 DVD box set) and I plan to call it quits.
Exactly. This line of thinking has gotten me itching to go back at least once more although I had already said that I was done with this sale. Something tells me that there are still a couple of more titles that will be coming home with me.
Old 11-19-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
Hope all Eclipse series coming out on bluray soon!
None of them will.
Old 11-19-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

And there is also the chance that this is the last time they have the sale.
Spoiler:
I bet I just got you to buy at least one more.
Old 11-19-10, 09:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

that's insane!

I've only had one disc from Barnes and Noble that for some reason they could never get in stock 'Eureka Season 3' (even though a lot of stores and online stores did have it in stock)

but back on topic, I'm still waiting for my online purchase of 'The Thin Red Line' - which they have had on backorder since day 1 of the sale.
Old 11-19-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

They had DHL move my order back and forth around Kentucky for days before it was handed over to the post office for shipping. Why not just have the post office pick it up? I don't get B&N.
Old 11-19-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The America Lost & Found The BBS Story is back up to $99.99. Good for those that got in at the lower price.
Old 11-19-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ytrez
They had DHL move my order back and forth around Kentucky for days before it was handed over to the post office for shipping. Why not just have the post office pick it up? I don't get B&N.
I believe that shipping method is called "Smartsaver". It doesn't seem very smart, does it?
I ordered a very large item once and it was shipped this method. When DHL gave it to USPS, USPS said the item is too big, and they refused to take it! So it was returned to the sender. But the tracking number didn't reflect this, so I thought USPS lost it since that is where the tracking stopped. I called the company, and they shipped a new one via Fed Ex. Well, I received the new one, but when the company got the REFUSED one back (over a month later), they credited my card. So I ended up getting the item for free! I actually tried calling them to tell them, but after spending 20 minutes on hold I gave up... Their loss!
Old 11-19-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

They didn't use DHL on any of my orders - which is a good thing, as DHL won't leave stuff without a signature. On the three orders I've made (free shipping), two of them are USPS and the other is UPS - I can track the UPS, which isn't due for another week, and the others, who knows...
Old 11-19-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Final order:

The Red Shoes
Charade

I never go nuts with this sale, but I love getting a few titles for such a great price.
Old 11-19-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

The shipping is just really strange and frustrating. Usually, it originates in Kentucky and goes westward (for my deliveries). At some point either it just sits there at a certain location (for days or weeks) and then they finally hand it over to USPS to deliver or they just lose where it's at and don't update status very well.

Once last year it took close to one month to deliver one DVD. I'm trying to figure out who to blame here--DHL, BN.com, or USPS. I'm still in shock how I get an order delivered to me by USPS last year in under 2 weeks.

My latest order is also DHL smart mail which means I have to wait at least 2 or 3 weeks for my order to arrive.
Old 11-19-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just turned down on both $5 coupons at the Boulder, CO store. They said they'd had a lot of problems with fraud, they were supposed to be for new members, how did I get the coupons, etc.

I was just trying to use two separate coupons, so not really pushing my luck. That store has always seemed the most laid back of the three around me, so that is discouraging.

I ended up not purchasing the two I had come in for.

Last edited by cgray; 11-19-10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-19-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cgray
Just turned down on both $5 coupons at the Boulder, CO store. They said they'd had a lot of problems with fraud, they were supposed to be for new members, how did I get the coupons, etc.

I was just trying to use two separate coupons, so not really pushing my luck. That store has always seem the most laid back of the three around me, so that is discouraging.

I ended up not purchasing the two I had come in for.
I'm having a feeling this is probably the last hurrah for the $5 coupons. If there is a next sale I expect they will be gone or a lot more restrictions in place.

There are a couple of member 15% off store coupons that should work. Actually you would need only one since they take 15% off your entire purchase at a store. You would end up paying a few dollars more but still better than the online prices.
Old 11-19-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Okay I think my two for today will be: Black Narcissus and The Night of the Hunter.
Old 11-19-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I'm having a feeling this is probably the last hurrah for the $5 coupons.
This has been posted in every thread since the first B&N sale, & this is the first time where I think it is absolutely true. I know for a fact that two B&Ns in my area had conference calls from upper management saying these coupons were not worded properly, so I'm fairly certain that there will be a change in the find print if this sale happens again.
Old 11-19-10, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I'm having a feeling this is probably the last hurrah for the $5 coupons. If there is a next sale I expect they will be gone or a lot more restrictions in place.

There are a couple of member 15% off store coupons that should work. Actually you would need only one since they take 15% off your entire purchase at a store. You would end up paying a few dollars more but still better than the online prices.
Agreed. It sounds like others are having lots of problems (for the record, I haven't had any problems) and I could see B&N putting some fine print on the signs in the store or changing the terms of the sale in general.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.