Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

I was surprised to actually find Modern Times and Night of the Hunter in LA. Can't wait to finally watch Hunter in the correct aspect ratio tonight!
Old 11-16-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My copies won't be in store until tomorrow at the earliest . I really want to see both of these, first time on both for me.
Old 11-16-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Woo-hoo!

They let me pre-order Cronos at 50% off with a $5 coupon. It's "ship to home", so I didn't get the extra 10% Members' Discount, but it's OK, as I don't have to wait until the June sale to get it.
Old 11-16-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Picked up 2 more and I'm done...I think.

The Night of the Hunter (blu) - $17.50 (I also traded in the old edition for $3 next door)
The Spirit of the Beehive (dvd) - $13

By far the most I've bought during the sale.
Old 11-16-10, 05:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Picked up Modern Times. I am now done until the next one....if there's a next one. I was politely turned down twice trying to order the America Lost BBS set at 50%. Not worth paying $70+ right now. I can wait.
Old 11-16-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My brother reports from the Chicago suburbs and the B&N Skokie store that he tried to use two separate coupons in two separate transactions at the same store and was told that as a member you are only allowed to use one coupon. The clerk then told him that the computer logs this transaction to your membership account and will not allow you to use another coupon like this ever again, that it is a one time only coupon per membership. ??? He's going to try a different store for more Criterion goodness.

As for the posts above re: BLACK ORPHEUS, I agree that it pretty much falls apart during the climax. It builds up pretty nicely and then just goes off on a tangent right before the ending and becomes deadly dull. A real misfire in the pacing renders this one with limited repeatability.

To the discussion of waiting for a Criterion SD to go Blu, the one I'm waiting for is CARNIVAL OF SOULS, which I realize isn't going to be the best demo Blu Ray given the source material, LOL, but I don't own it on SD, so why not hold out for the Blu?

The only SD I am considering is SPARTACUS since it will most likely never see the Blu of day from Criterion and since the Universal Blu is mannequins go to gladiator school. Amazon already shows the Criterion version as being OOP, so it's not going to be around forever.
Old 11-16-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
The only SD I am considering is SPARTACUS since it will most likely never see the Blu of day from Criterion and since the Universal Blu is mannequins go to gladiator school. Amazon already shows the Criterion version as being OOP, so it's not going to be around forever.
Wait, you mean "Sporadicus"?
Old 11-16-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Woo-hoo!

They let me pre-order Cronos at 50% off with a $5 coupon. It's "ship to home", so I didn't get the extra 10% Members' Discount, but it's OK, as I don't have to wait until the June sale to get it.
Oooh...I'll have to try that tomorrow. If I can swing that and Videodrome, I'd be very giddy.
Old 11-16-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
My brother reports from the Chicago suburbs and the B&N Skokie store that he tried to use two separate coupons in two separate transactions at the same store and was told that as a member you are only allowed to use one coupon. The clerk then told him that the computer logs this transaction to your membership account and will not allow you to use another coupon like this ever again, that it is a one time only coupon per membership. ???
I'm sorry, but that cashier was bullshitting your brother. All 5 cashiers I've encountered at my local store have let me use multiple coupons over separate transactions. Today I did 6 separate transactions and I've done 19 overall!
Old 11-16-10, 06:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by sotra
I'm sorry, but that cashier was bullshitting your brother. All 5 cashiers I've encountered at my local store have let me use multiple coupons over separate transactions. Today I did 6 separate transactions and I've done 19 overall!
correct. the computer does NOT shut you down. just employees lol
Old 11-16-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Just got a call telling me that my copy of TTRL is there and ready to be picked up. It's too bad that it wasn't there earlier when I went to pick up my copies of Modern Times and Night of the Hunter.
Old 11-16-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

For the first time, I was denied the coupon because she insisted "the B&N price is the sale price, so the coupon won't work." I just waited around for 15 minutes, that person went on break, and I had no trouble with the next cashier.
Old 11-16-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got 2 more at the Newington, NH, store today:

Modern Times BD $13
Night of the Hunter BD $17.50
Old 11-16-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I get lucky at the store within 20 mins away from my house. The lady is so nice & she's a criterion collector. She let me used $5 off coupons multi times last week and let me keep the coupons. I went to the same store today & she is Off today. I 100% will turn down with different cashier but the GUY is very COOL i end up picked Modern Time, Paths of Glory, House, Bottle Rocket and Crumb for $14.07 Each with Multi transactions. On my way home stop by the BN at the Mall Picked up NOTH for $18.XX (i got it reserved).
Old 11-16-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I went in just as a younger cashier was taking a break and thought I was screwed when an older woman who I thought was a manager, was the one who was going to cash me out.
Turned out she must have been new, or temp help and was willing to let me use the coupons.
Well, she had no problem taking off $5 from NOTH, but she balked at even attempting to try using another different $5 off coupon on any of the others, insisting that the price was now $18.
I ended up pressing the point with her , trying to show her the "before any discounts' fine print, but she wasn't having any of it. I usually just let it slide and put the rest back to pick up another day, but it was frustrating me that she was even making a move to even try to see if it would go through. She then called the manager over- at which point I thought "shit, there goes the game", but the manager looked the coupon over, and showed her I was right- qualifying price was before discount. She did her over ride magic and then stayed around to make sure the $5 off $50 coupon took as well.
The original cashier commented on "what a great deal that was", but relatively speaking, it really wasn't because I 'only' got $15 taken off of 4 titles. I had forgot that NOTH was originally a $50 title, so that threw my average off as well.
For $67 I picked up
Night Of The Hunter
Stagecoach
Vivre sa Vie
Wings Of Desire

I'm not complaining. Still a much better per title cost than this past summers sale for me. And a TON less hassle and trips made.

Modern Times, The title I wanted the most out of all of them, didn't come in yet, so I'm still going to have to make one more trip back in the next few days.
Old 11-16-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Using a combination of coupons, I was able to get "Modern Times," "Night of the Hunter," and "By Brakhage" all on Blu-ray for $48.xx including tax. Severe YMMV, obviously.
Old 11-16-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Ugh, I've gotten so used to Amazon's free 2-day shipping (from the day I order), that B&N's turn around of almost 2 weeks from when I order is pretty frustrating.
And another thing! If my order's shipping from clear across the country, why the fuck am I being charged state tax. If it was shipping out of California, I'd at least get it a few days sooner. But no, I have to pay state tax AND it's taking more than a week to get to me from New fucking Jersey. That's some bullshit right there - the 15% savings (they're 35% off at the dvdPlanet store near my work) isn't worth this crap.
Old 11-16-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ That's Ahnold for you
Old 11-16-10, 10:13 PM

Sadly none of the new releases (from this week or last) were available at the store I went to, but I got another nice cashier. He let me buy 3 older blu-ray, each for $5 off. He even offered to order the 3 he didn't have for me and have them shipped to my house. He warned me, however, that he wouldn't be able to get the normal member discount to work, but that the coupon probably would.

I still will have other chances to get those other titles, so I passed, but I did have him order me a copy of "Thin Red Line" (which I can't find anywhere in LA) for $1.99 more then I've been paying for all of the others. To bad the 25% off coupon had expired.
Old 11-16-10, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
That's some bullshit right there - the 15% savings (they're 35% off at the dvdPlanet store near my work) isn't worth this crap.
Hey, remember when we used to buy all of our Criterions from DVD Planet?
Old 11-16-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thinking about getting seven samurai and the magician blurays. I don't have a membership so I won't get some of the fantastic deals you guys are posting about, but 45 shipped is not bad....
Old 11-16-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ They have a free 2 month membership. See coupon thread in DVD bargains for details.
Old 11-17-10, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

can the free membership be done in-store? Seems like it would be more convenient (for me). Also I don't think I'd get the card in time to use the in-store membership if I did it online...
Old 11-17-10, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mifuneral
can the free membership be done in-store? Seems like it would be more convenient (for me). Also I don't think I'd get the card in time to use the in-store membership if I did it online...
You'll get an e-mail with the member number immediately after placing your online order. You don't need the card at the store. Just give the clerk your member number when you check out. You can also give them the phone number you use to get the membership.
Old 11-17-10, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, but in order to enroll in the Free Membership program, you must purchase at least one qualifying item. Continue Shopping

any way around that?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.