Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 07:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

I nominate the Cary, NC Barnes & Noble as having the best customer appreciation during this Criterion sale and multiple coupon usage. I thought I'd just gotten lucky with one cashier last summer...but it definitely appears to be everyone in the movie section - I have not had one bad experience, nor been turned down once with multiple coupons. This evening I just happened to be driving by and stopped in and only had four coupons with me. No problem - they had copies behind the counter, they even told me the price point where the 25% becomes more economical, and let me pre-order/reserve Modern Times and Night of the Hunter, etc. For anyone within a two or even three hour drive, it's probably worth it to just go to that one store. Even after the long weekend, I felt they had a great variety left on the shelves (far better than all the other B&N's I've hit recently and last summer). If driving from a distance, you could probably call ahead and have things held or even have them order specific items and make the trip when they come in. --Peter
Old 11-14-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I personally think Band of Outsiders is his most enjoyable film.
I could not agree more. Band of Outsiders is a personal favorite of mine.

However, I will admit that I still have plenty of Godard films to see before I have seen them all.
Old 11-14-10, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
I nominate the Cary, NC Barnes & Noble as having the best customer appreciation during this Criterion sale and multiple coupon usage. I thought I'd just gotten lucky with one cashier last summer...but it definitely appears to be everyone in the movie section - I have not had one bad experience, nor been turned down once with multiple coupons. This evening I just happened to be driving by and stopped in and only had four coupons with me. No problem - they had copies behind the counter, they even told me the price point where the 25% becomes more economical, and let me pre-order/reserve Modern Times and Night of the Hunter, etc. For anyone within a two or even three hour drive, it's probably worth it to just go to that one store. Even after the long weekend, I felt they had a great variety left on the shelves (far better than all the other B&N's I've hit recently and last summer). If driving from a distance, you could probably call ahead and have things held or even have them order specific items and make the trip when they come in. --Peter
I live about 1 mile from this store. :-)
Old 11-14-10, 08:20 PM

Are there any SD Criterions you are deliberately avoiding picking up during this sale due to a suspected or even just hoped-for Blu-ray release? I have several--Umberto D. and Pickpocket, to name just a couple. I already have so many SD Criterions that I know I will be double-dipping on should they ever be re-released, that I want to cut my losses so to speak. It is so tempting though--I did pick up Knife in the Water since I found one of those standalone essential art house editions. For under $10 it's hard to say no.

Last edited by Future Man; 11-14-10 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-14-10, 08:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Future Man
Are there any SD Criterions you are deliberately avoiding picking up during this sale due to a suspected or even just hoped-for Blu-ray release? I have several--Umberto D. and Pickpocket, to name just a couple. I already have so many SD Criterions that I know I will be double-dipping on should they ever be re-released, that I want to cut my losses so to speak. It is so tempting though--I did pick up Knife in the Water since I found one of those standalone essential art house editions. For under $10 it's hard to say no.
I've had Umberto D criterion for years, but I have held off on a couple SD titles in hopes of a blu-ray re-release:

Pickpocket
The Virgin Spring

They're both picture-boxed, which I hate.
Old 11-14-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked up 4 more bluray movies: The Darjeeling Limited , breathless, In the Realm of the Senses and Monsoon Wedding for $58.44 after taxes & 25% off coupon. Still 4 more to buy on Tuesday
Old 11-15-10, 05:28 AM

Didn't the 25% coupon expire yesterday?
Old 11-15-10, 06:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
Didn't the 25% coupon expire yesterday?
Yes.
Old 11-15-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched Antichrist last night. I really liked it. I'm still trying to figure out what it means, but I'm still thinking about it this morning.
Old 11-15-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even general murmurings of a Pickpocket blu-ray makes me excited.
Old 11-15-10, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The America Lost & Found: The BBS Story boxset is down to $71.24 (43% off), if anyone wants to try to order before the sale runs out. Not sure if they'll reduce it anymore or if the price will go up after the sale ends, but after AAA or comparable discounts, it's $64.11 for 7 movies.
Old 11-15-10, 06:23 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
The America Lost & Found: The BBS Story boxset is down to $71.24 (43% off), if anyone wants to try to order before the sale runs out. Not sure if they'll reduce it anymore or if the price will go up after the sale ends, but after AAA or comparable discounts, it's $64.11 for 7 movies.
Wow, this is tempting to not have to wait 6 months to save $1 per movie or so. Library link also works to save 10%.
Old 11-15-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I personally think Band of Outsiders is his most enjoyable film.
Its certainly his most standard, accessible, and popular because of Tarantino getting people to check it out. But not near his best or most enjoyable.
Old 11-15-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Its certainly his most standard, accessible, and popular because of Tarantino getting people to check it out. But not near his best or most enjoyable.
In your opinion.
Old 11-15-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Ugh, I've gotten so used to Amazon's free 2-day shipping (from the day I order), that B&N's turn around of almost 2 weeks from when I order is pretty frustrating.
Old 11-15-10, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I know it's bad when I am definitely going to get Modern Times tomorrow, but I'm considering getting something else today.
Old 11-15-10, 07:47 PM

Got shot down again today. The CS rep looked at my membership card and told me that the coupon was only good for memberships started at that date. I asked if he would just it anyways. He said that he couldn't since they got a memo from corporate that to many coupons have been used lately. MY BN suck!!!
Old 11-15-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Memo from corporate? Uh oh.
Old 11-15-10, 07:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aa-dvd
Got shot down again today. The CS rep looked at my membership card and told me that the coupon was only good for memberships started at that date. I asked if he would just it anyways. He said that he couldn't since they got a memo from corporate that to many coupons have been used lately. MY BN suck!!!
Which city? It seems some stores have said similar things across various cities, but never within the same city at multiple locations. Highly unlikely that corporate has contacted all the stores.
Old 11-15-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ended up purchasing this set. I want to try and keep up with Criterions a little better so I'm not buying them all at one time.
Old 11-15-10, 08:59 PM

Against my better judgment (for financial, not artistic reasons!), I preordered it and snagged another for a buddy for an Xmas gift. That preorder price is totally insane.
Old 11-15-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Ended up purchasing this set. I want to try and keep up with Criterions a little better so I'm not buying them all at one time.
Are the Criterions some neighbors of yours? All about the Criterions baby!
Old 11-15-10, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Are the Criterions some neighbors of yours? All about the Criterions baby!
If CC were my neighbor, I kid you not. I'd say fuck you, DVDtalk, I'm hanging out w/ CC.
Old 11-15-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks !, I just pre-ordered for $64...not bad it beats Amazon by 30 bucks !
Old 11-15-10, 09:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

At less than $10 per movie, that's a great price.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.