Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-10, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Are you guys having much luck with the coupons online? I've tried using the new 25% off one and it won't work with just one item it seems claims that it doesn't qualify.
Old 11-11-10, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dugnarug
Are you guys having much luck with the coupons online? I've tried using the new 25% off one and it won't work with just one item it seems claims that it doesn't qualify.
If you look on the product page for the Criterion items, it states that coupons won't work. This started during the last Criterion sale.
Old 11-11-10, 10:23 PM

Ok I understand that but I had Bigger Than Life and Curious Case of Benjamin Button both in the cart and it took almost $4 off Benjamin Button but when I removed it then it said the coupon was not valid. Both of those are Criterion.
Old 11-11-10, 10:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
If you look on the product page for the Criterion items, it states that coupons won't work. This started during the last Criterion sale.
Yes, coupons and membership discount do not work online. Best online method is to use the library link and get an extra 10% (really just 5% of course).
Old 11-11-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Mine too. There is some interesting thematic parallels between the two films (modern society's ability to corrupt), but Walkabout is far more accessible- not to mention gorgeous to look at. Even when Jenny Agutter isn't in frame.
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Days Of Heaven and Walkabout are sitting on my shelf in high definition. A lot of significant titles are still a long way off, but this format definitely turned a corner in 2010 for me.

Haven't seen SOTG or RD yet, but I would agree with DOH and BN probably being the two most accessible in the list. Your mileage is always going to vary, but both films are exquisitely photographed and the Bds show off the visuals well.
After hearing for years about BTL, I had the same reaction that you did. Was excited to hear Criterion was going to release it, but ultimately a rental would have sufficed.
Agree about both Narcissus and Days of Heaven. Even if the story doesn't pull you in, Days of Heaven is so beautiful to look at and worth the price just for that.

Ok I understand that but I had Bigger Than Life and Curious Case of Benjamin Button both in the cart and it took almost $4 off Benjamin Button but when I removed it then it said the coupon was not valid. Both of those are Criterion.
Benjamin Button is a weird one. I think during the last sale it wasn't discounted (online). If you can use it for that one and really want it, I'd use it.
Old 11-12-10, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yes, coupons and membership discount do not work online. Best online method is to use the library link and get an extra 10% (really just 5% of course).
Weird. I just placed an order for A Christmas Tale and the 25% off coupon worked ($5 discount). I didn't get the 10% member's discount though. I placed an order with the 15% off coupon yesterday and that also worked (but didn't get the 10% off membership discount either).
Old 11-12-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quick question--Red Shoes or Thin Red Line. Haven't seen either but have seen Black Narcissus and Days of Heaven and enjoyed both. Leaning toward Red Shoes but could be swayed toward Thin Red Line.
Old 11-12-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vocalhouse
Weird. I just placed an order for A Christmas Tale and the 25% off coupon worked ($5 discount). I didn't get the 10% member's discount though. I placed an order with the 15% off coupon yesterday and that also worked (but didn't get the 10% off membership discount either).
Good find! You're right coupons are working on a Christmas Tale. That's a good one to get online since it doesn't seem available at stores. If you order online you're not going to get the 10% member discount. That is only available for purchases made at B&N stores.
Old 11-12-10, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Quick question--Red Shoes or Thin Red Line. Haven't seen either but have seen Black Narcissus and Days of Heaven and enjoyed both. Leaning toward Red Shoes but could be swayed toward Thin Red Line.
I have not yet seen the Red Shoes (in should be in today's mail), but I watched The Thin Red Line (blu-ray) this week (using my projector) and it was the best purchase I made this year.
Old 11-12-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Good find! You're right coupons are working on a Christmas Tale. That's a good one to get online since it doesn't seem available at stores. If you order online you're not going to get the 10% member discount. That is only available for purchases made at B&N stores.
Saw one copy of Christmas Tale at the local B&N, so they're out there if you're lucky. Of course, I can't find A Thin Red Line anywhere...
Old 11-12-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Saw one copy of Christmas Tale at the local B&N, so they're out there if you're lucky. Of course, I can't find A Thin Red Line anywhere...
Picked up Christmas Tale today in a Colorado store, so they're out there...
Old 11-12-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make it a color-themed purchase and get both!

Hard choice, since they are both essentials. If I had to choose one, I would go with TRL myself.
Old 11-12-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THE RED SHOES is a wonderful, beautiful film and probably has more repeat viewing opportunities in it than THE THIN RED LINE, but THE THIN RED LINE is quite simply one of the greatest films ever made. It demands to be seen in the best possible presentation. But its subject matter, war, is such that it may not have enough attraction for more than an occasional viewing every few years, whereas RED SHOES could be a bit more accessible, the same difference perhaps in reading HOMER or KEATS.
Old 11-12-10, 04:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking at all the glowing reviews people are giving for both Red Shoes and Thin Red Line, why can't you just buy both? Seriously. That's like having to choose between Annie Hall and Goodfellas. They're both great films, but wildly different in story, tone, aesthetic, etc.
Old 11-12-10, 04:50 PM

I thought I was done buying during this sale, but I a little voice inside my head keeps telling me to go back and buy Breathless and Vivre Sa Vie on blu-ray. I'm wondering if Barnes & Noble are putting subliminal advertising on their website??
Old 11-12-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocophone
I thought I was done buying during this sale, but I a little voice inside my head keeps telling me to go back and buy Breathless and Vivre Sa Vie on blu-ray.
At these prices, you can't go wrong. If you don't like one or t'other, you can always resell them on Amazon or half, and get most of your investment back.
Old 11-12-10, 05:23 PM

I was on the fence about Breathless on blu-ray, but last night I popped the Breathless DVD from the library into the player and realized I really did like Breathless.

Vivre Sa Vie would be a partially blind buy. I have watched the trailer on youtube and listened to the criterioncast podcast episode for Vivre Sa Vie.
Old 11-12-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I ended up buying A Christmas Tale (I've been hunting after that one for a while) and The Thin Red Line online because neither of these are in store.

Red Shoes is available in store and I can use a $5 off coupon later on during next week. I might blind buy Vivre sa Vie as well.
Old 11-12-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocophone
I was on the fence about Breathless on blu-ray, but last night I popped the Breathless DVD from the library into the player and realized I really did like Breathless.
I was on the fence about TTRL on BD, but a few nights ago I popped the TTRL dvd from the library into the player and realized while it is a visually stunning movie the characters and storyline bored me to tears.
Old 11-12-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Denied on the 25% coupon today for a pre-order.

Yesterday, I pre-ordered America Lost & Found & Videodrome with it. Today was to be Cronos.

The price on Videodrome & Cronos isn't really all that great, but I want them right away when they're released and with this coupon, it is the absolute best price for them. I'm going to try at a different store tonight.
Old 11-12-10, 05:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsl76
Denied on the 25% coupon today for a pre-order.

Yesterday, I pre-ordered America Lost & Found & Videodrome with it. Today was to be Cronos.

The price on Videodrome & Cronos isn't really all that great, but I want them right away when they're released and with this coupon, it is the absolute best price for them. I'm going to try at a different store tonight.
Which LA store were you able to pre-order BBS story with, and which store were you denied Cronos? Thanks.
Old 11-12-10, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by musick
I was on the fence about TTRL on BD, but a few nights ago I popped the TTRL dvd from the library into the player and realized while it is a visually stunning movie the characters and storyline bored me to tears.
What made TTRL the movie for me was the philosophical questions raised in the movie. (I have a BS in Philosophy, although I earn my living as a CPA)
Old 11-12-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To be honest, I bought it because cinematography looks awesome and the trailer had a really excellent score.

Anyway, since I got dhell shipping from bn.com, it'll take like 3 weeks to arrive here. I'm going to rent it out from the library and see if I like it. If not it's going to be probably be sold on ebay or half or amazon. I liked what I saw and heard from the trailer though, the run time worries me a bit but I've watched shorter movies that seemed to take forever.
Old 11-12-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jfunk1
Which LA store were you able to pre-order BBS story with, and which store were you denied Cronos? Thanks.
They were both in the same store, the 3rd St. Promenade. They've been really great in this store all through this sale. A lot of my purchases have been here, but I've now made about 2 purchases from everyone in the department and I feel I'm done buying here for a while. I think I've become somewhat of a known quantity.

Last night, it was one of the guys in the department who pre-ordered it for me. I pre-ordered Videodrome from the Westwood Pavilion location, but the clerk called and oked it with his manager first. I'm going to try the Encino and Glendale locations. These are my other least hassle stores.
Old 11-12-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's probably been asked already, but when does this sale end?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.