Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Interesting thing tonight. The cashier earlier forgot to give me my BN card back and they called me about it. When I went back to pick it up I asked her how the Criterion sale had gone and she said: "Well, I thought very good, but yesterday we got this from corporate". And she showed the note to me which basically said to encourage/push sales of Criterions by any means (coupons, pointing them out, mentioning them, displaying them prominently throughout the store etc). So, I don't know. Read into that whatever you want I guess. Could just be a regional thing I guess.
Old 11-21-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The cashier tonight wouldn't let me make two transactions with two 5 dollar off coupons. However, she did allow me to purchase both BDs together while using one 5 dollar off coupon and one 15% off the entire purchase coupon. The total including tax was with a few cents of what I would have paid with two purchases using a 5 dollar off coupon with each one. One came to 11.05+tax and the other was 15.29+tax. The total came to 28.58 so I was pleased. I'll post my absolute final haul shortly.
Old 11-21-10, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sotra
Interesting thing tonight. The cashier earlier forgot to give me my BN card back and they called me about it. When I went back to pick it up I asked her how the Criterion sale had gone and she said: "Well, I thought very good, but yesterday we got this from corporate". And she showed the note to me which basically said to encourage/push sales of Criterions by any means (coupons, pointing them out, mentioning them, displaying them prominently throughout the store etc). So, I don't know. Read into that whatever you want I guess. Could just be a regional thing I guess.
Interesting. Every time I have entered the movie section of my local B&N the cashier on duty has hawked the Criterion sale to me (with me silently grinning inside ... I know, oh yes, I know). Never had a problem making multiple visits/uses of the $5 coupon either. One cashier insists on carefully writing "VOID" across my coupons in Wes Anderson fashion, which makes me smile every time.
Old 11-21-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

This is my final haul:

Seven Samurai
The Darjeeling Limited
Yojimbo & Sanguro (Box)
Antichrist
Kagemusha
Ride with the Devil
The Magician
The Night of the Hunter
Modern Times
The Thin Red Line
House
Stagecoach
Days of Heaven
The Red Shoes
M
Paths of Glory
Old 11-21-10, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sotra
....When I went back to pick it up I asked her how the Criterion sale had gone and she said: "Well, I thought very good, but yesterday we got this from corporate". And she showed the note to me which basically said to encourage/push sales of Criterions by any means (coupons, pointing them out, mentioning them, displaying them prominently throughout the store etc).
...and some other guy reported a laminated sign at the entrance to the media department specifically prohibiting use of any coupons on Criterions during the sale, signed by the Store Manager and the Regional Manager. What an effed-up company.
Old 11-21-10, 01:08 AM

Has anyone noticed that the sales reps are quite friendly and talkative, then when you show a coupon they almost do a 180 in demeanor. Haha. It's like you've dishonored them or something. I am not very good at being persistent, making demands, etc., but I found the best thing is to just smile and say, "I appreciate your help."
Old 11-21-10, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
...and some other guy reported a laminated sign at the entrance to the media department specifically prohibiting use of any coupons on Criterions during the sale, signed by the Store Manager and the Regional Manager. What an effed-up company.
Why did I wait so long? I'm going on the last day for my haul if I'm rejected idk what to do. I don't want to punch out 20 eachfor Darjeeling and Thin Red line and Modern Times.
Old 11-21-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Idioteque...
Why did I wait so long? I'm going on the last day for my haul if I'm rejected idk what to do. I don't want to punch out 20 each for Darjeeling and Thin Red line and Modern Times.
If you are a member, it should be $18 with no coupons. Either way, check out post #1 of the main B&N coupon thread....there should at least be some printable 15% off coupons available to all.
Old 11-21-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got Yojimbo/Sanjuro bluray set for $27. Tried to get The Thin Red Line but they sold the one copy they had, so I'm going to use the library link and get it online.
Old 11-21-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had a much harder time using coupons during the sale this time around. During the summer sale, I started to get a lot more pushback but hopefully they'll start to think twice because it seems like they are selling less because of the stricter policy.
Old 11-21-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just ordered The Thin Red Line and 8 1/2 off the website for $37 shipped. That's the best I could manage considering I couldn't find TTRL in store.

Still a great price considering those two films would be $62 shipped from Amazon.

Anyway, that'll do me for this sale. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 11-21-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
Interesting. Every time I have entered the movie section of my local B&N the cashier on duty has hawked the Criterion sale to me (with me silently grinning inside ... I know, oh yes, I know). Never had a problem making multiple visits/uses of the $5 coupon either. One cashier insists on carefully writing "VOID" across my coupons in Wes Anderson fashion, which makes me smile every time.
I had one guy that pretended like the coupon doesn't qualify with the sale before taking it and ripping it up, one young guy that gave them back to me for reuse, two older guys that would take them and says nothing, and one lady who told me not to use more than one. Ironically enough, after my last visit with the woman above I had a manager follow me around the store upon my next visit. Talk about an unfriendly shopping experience!
Old 11-21-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to two stores today to pick up a few Criterions at the last minute and had no trouble using coupons as long as it was one per transaction. In fact, at both stores an employee offered me the 15% off coupon.
Old 11-21-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My final tally:

Seven Samurai - $17.50 plus tax
Walkabout - $13 plus tax
The Seventh Seal - $13 plus tax
M - $13 plus tax
The Red Shoes - $13 plus tax
Charade - $13 plus tax
Black Narcissus - $13 plus tax
Kagemusha - $13 plus tax
Breathless - $13 plus tax
Red Desert - $13 plus tax
The Thin Red Line - $13 plus tax
The Magician - $13 plus tax
Paths of Glory - $19.99 plus tax
The Darjeeling Limited - $18 plus tax
Night of the Hunter - $17.50 plus tax
Modern Times - $13 plus tax

Night Train to Munich
- $13.50 plus tax

Ordered Paths online to get my free membership going and didn't have a coupon with me when I saw Darjeeling, but 14/16 on $5 coupon can't be sneezed at. Especially since I didn't pay a dime for my membership, yet.
Old 11-21-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Especially since I didn't pay a dime for my membership, yet.
Luckily my parents are members, so I never pay a dime either. I was worried that the cashier might raise an eyebrow when she saw that my phone # was different than the one on the account, but it was fine. Now to start making up my list of titles to purchase in July, if my local B & N is still around then...
Old 11-21-10, 10:00 PM

Bought two more blu-rays through online order:

Paris, Texas
Black Narcissus
Old 11-21-10, 10:14 PM

So today was the last day? I paid for the stupid membership and didn't get to take advantage of any these deals. I'm saddened.
Old 11-22-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Idioteque...
So today was the last day? I paid for the stupid membership and didn't get to take advantage of any these deals. I'm saddened.
You have until 2:59 AM EST to order online.
Old 11-22-10, 08:12 AM

Thank God that that is over with ...
Old 11-22-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Amen I will now hibernate until the next sale.
Old 11-23-10, 01:21 AM

So is this sale truly done?

http://btobproductsearch.barnesandno...linkid=1642992

Its showing 40% off for me still and when I added Night of the Hunter to my cart it allowed the new 30% off coupon to be applied. Just curious what others luck is on this.
Old 11-23-10, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It won't let me click on any other link on that page without bringing up some sort of error page, so i'm guessing it's kaput

Edit: Nevermind, guess that it works and can actually checkout with it. What oh What criterion should I order?
Old 11-23-10, 01:53 AM

Link to 40 percent coupon so I can get Thin Red Line. i need that and Darjeeling Limited pretty badly. Their my most needed criterions right now
Old 11-23-10, 01:58 AM

Well its already at 40% off retail so the 30% off goes towards the sale price of course.

The coupon code can be found in LASERMOVIES thread

here
Old 11-23-10, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by dugnarug
Well its already at 40% off retail so the 30% off goes towards the sale price of course.

The coupon code can be found in LASERMOVIES thread

here
Thanks. Just Order Thin Red Line and hmm I need a good price on Darjeeling and Modern Times.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.