Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Old 11-09-10, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post
It didn't happen. Amazon matched SOME titles for $20, but not below that.
OH...that sale? It was eh. I already had everything I needed.
Old 11-09-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 389 Likes on 161 Posts

The first two in-store purchases:

Seven Samurai
Breathless

I would've picked up the sole BD copy of House if not for the slashed spine from a box cutter blade. Normally I'd overlook it, but anything other than pristine just isn't acceptable for Criterions.
Old 11-09-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
The only thing I can think of is this is how BN is getting rid of excess inventory
If that's what is was for they wouldn't continually restock stores, offer the deal on titles not yet released thus not actually in inventory, allow you to order out of stock items online etc. I believe it's in cooperation with Criterion and is a marketing/promotion for both. It's become one of THE signature B&N events.
Old 11-09-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Here in Arizona their are ton's left in stores. My work route covers 6 or so B&N's and it's in stock at all of them. Went today to the store a block away and their were 4 copies.
DVDs are easy to find. Blu-Rays are OOS everywhere.
Old 11-09-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl View Post
If that's what is was for they wouldn't continually restock stores, offer the deal on titles not yet released thus not actually in inventory, allow you to order out of stock items online etc. I believe it's in cooperation with Criterion and is a marketing/promotion for both. It's become one of THE signature B&N events.
Well, they restock stores because this stuff is sitting in their warehouses not moving without the sale. Prices are the same online as they are in store.

If you are clearing out inventory you don't have a firesale on stuff that hasn't even been released yet. Generally, the first week or two a title is released is when they are going to make the most of it.

The interesting thing is they have created a situation where most of us are not going buy a Criterion from B&N WITHOUT the sale!
Old 11-09-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brizz View Post
Mine has numerous copies of all of them, Blu-Ray and DVD. Like I said the only one I can;t find is The Thin Red Line.
Old 11-09-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, they restock stores because this stuff is sitting in their warehouses not moving without the sale.
highly unlikely ....
I'm pretty sure B&N doesn't even get most of their media directly from the studios .... most of it is racked and fulfilled via AEC
Old 11-09-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads up on this sale. Going to try to pick up Charade. Thanks!
Old 11-10-10, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

I was talking about blu-rays. The only blu's I haven't seen in the stores here are the one's that are out of print. The B&N a block from my house got 9 copies of Antichrist in on blu-ray yesterday (9 also on dvd) and I re-checked and all 4 copies of TRL on BLU-RAY were still there. I also counted 12 copies of Seven Samurai on blu-ray so maybe the stores I go to are higher volume stores and get more stock.
Old 11-10-10, 08:57 AM

We have plenty of dvd and blu-ray at my locations.
Old 11-10-10, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I was talking about blu-rays. The only blu's I haven't seen in the stores here are the one's that are out of print. The B&N a block from my house got 9 copies of Antichrist in on blu-ray yesterday (9 also on dvd) and I re-checked and all 4 copies of TRL on BLU-RAY were still there. I also counted 12 copies of Seven Samurai on blu-ray so maybe the stores I go to are higher volume stores and get more stock.
Lucky you, there isn't a single copy of TRL to be had in the dozens of BN stores with 25-mile radius of where I live.
Old 11-10-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 94 Posts

Can I get some recommendations of the "must haves" from this following list? I'm getting Modern Times for sure, so it's not on the list. Darjeeling is most likely a purchase as well. These are the remaining BDs I don't have:

Spoiler:
The Darjeeling Limited
Bigger than Life
A Christmas Tale
Close Up
Gomorrah
The Leopard
The Night of the Hunter
Revanche
The Thin Red Line
Antichrist
Black Narcissus
Black Orpheus
By Brakhage
Che
Crumb
Days of Heaven
Everlasting Moments
Hunger
Paris, Texas
Red Desert
The Red Shoes
Ride with the Devil
The Secret of the Grain
The Summer Hours
The Thin Red Line
Walkabout
Wings of Desire
Old 11-10-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by cine View Post
Lucky you, there isn't a single copy of TRL to be had in the dozens of BN stores with 25-mile radius of where I live.
What part of NJ are you in? I have seen a bunch at Livingston and Morris Plains this week.
Old 11-10-10, 01:37 PM

I am in central NJ. The nearest store that appears to have a copy is far away enough that it doesn't pay to make a trip there compared to just placing an on-line order.
Old 11-10-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Can I get some recommendations of the "must haves" from this following list? I'm getting Modern Times for sure, so it's not on the list. Darjeeling is most likely a purchase as well. These are the remaining BDs I don't have.
Frankly, it's a list of must haves, but here are the ones that are my favorites (from the ones I've seen, some I haven't had an opportunity to watch yet):

The Night of the Hunter
Black Narcissus
Days of Heaven
Paris, Texas
The Red Shoes
The Secret of the Grain (less a must have, but I found it to be a tremendous, warm and touching film)
Old 11-10-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsl76 View Post
Frankly, it's a list of must haves, but here are the ones that are my favorites (from the ones I've seen, some I haven't had an opportunity to watch yet):

The Night of the Hunter
Black Narcissus
Days of Heaven
Paris, Texas
The Red Shoes
The Secret of the Grain (less a must have, but I found it to be a tremendous, warm and touching film)
Agree with most of this list. I'd add on A Christmas Tale as I find it to be an interesting take on familial relationships. I'd also probably add Summer Hours to the list too.

I couldn't get through The Secret of the Grain though. Way too much talking.
Old 11-10-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

sorry double post
Old 11-10-10, 02:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

BlueToast's list with my personal comments:

The Darjeeling Limited - bought, but haven't watched yet
Bigger than Life - decent film; commentary & bonus features made me want to hold on to it
A Christmas Tale - has anyone seen this in stores? I haven't....
Close Up - I enjoyed the feature and the documentaries; still in my collection, but I'm not sure yet how it would hold up to re-watching.
Gomorrah - did not care for this one
The Leopard - only spot-checked the blu-ray; looks fantastic - its the type of film that deserves to be seen in hi-def.
The Night of the Hunter - no comment yet; from DVD Beaver this looks like an essential purchase
Revanche - liked it okay; like Close-Up I'm not sure how much re-watching will add...
The Thin Red Line - not gotten yet
Antichrist - no gotten yet
Black Narcissus - essential
Black Orpheus - got, but not had a chance to watch it yet; enjoyed the film in standard def last year
By Brakhage - if you're a fan of this type of filmmaking this is beyond essential; I learned I wasn't a fan and happy when I was able to resell it (at very little if any profit)
Che - enjoyed watching it, but like By Brakhage happy to have sold it.
Crumb - have not gotten
Days of Heaven - very subtle film; I was going to sell, but after reflecting I've decided to hold on to it for now.
Everlasting Moments - really enjoyed this one; probably the only IFC/Criterion release that I've really enjoyed.
Hunger - like Close-Up, Che and Revanche I enjoyed watching this and the original BBC documentary is fascinating...just didn't feel like it was worth repeat watchings.
Paris, Texas - got, but haven't watched yet; love Wings of Desire, but never a huge fan of Paris, Texas. Perhaps I'll gain a better appreciation when I revisit this.
Red Desert - not a big fan of Antonioni, but did enjoy this one; looks great in hi-def.
The Red Shoes - essential
Ride with the Devil - enjoyed watching it, but wound up selling it.
The Secret of the Grain - long and talky, but love the bellydancing (including the bonus featurette).
The Summer Hours - enjoyed watching, but wound up selling; some minor regrets, but haven't felt the need to re-buy it during the current sale.
The Thin Red Line - not gotten yet
Walkabout - had reservations about buying it, but wound up loving the film and the documentaries. Looks stunning in hi-def and probably the only PG-rated film with full frontal nudity and even more if you freeze-frame at just the right moment when Jenny Aggutter is swimming.
Wings of Desire - essential, but have a real beef with Criterion not subtitling spoken English in foreign films; it's especially disconcerting in WoD because lots of the dialogue is voice-over of inner thoughts. Full subtitles exist on the MGM DVD release, so feel Criterion dropped the ball on this one (and all their other foreign titles that have spoken English).

Peter
Old 11-10-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

O yea, I picked Walkabout up tonight. Ahh Jenny Agutter ....
Old 11-10-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I get some recommendations of the "must haves" from this following list? I'm getting Modern Times for sure, so it's not on the list. Darjeeling is most likely a purchase as well. These are the remaining BDs I don't have:

Spoiler:
The Darjeeling Limited
Bigger than Life
A Christmas Tale
Close Up
Gomorrah
The Leopard
The Night of the Hunter
Revanche
The Thin Red Line
Antichrist
Black Narcissus
Black Orpheus
By Brakhage
Che
Crumb
Days of Heaven
Everlasting Moments
Hunger
Paris, Texas
Red Desert
The Red Shoes
Ride with the Devil
The Secret of the Grain
The Summer Hours
The Thin Red Line
Walkabout
Wings of Desire
It really depends on your taste. For me Red Desert would be my #1 purchase off that list. Seeing a master of B&W make his first color film and in HD is worth it alone. Plus Vitti in color, plus a phenomenal multi-layered story with a great commentary.
Old 11-10-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

O yea, I picked Walkabout up tonight. Ahh Jenny Agutter ....
Second that. I picked that up last sale for similar reasons. She was my lone highlight when I finally watched Logan's Run for the first time earlier this year. Interestingly on the Walkabout Criterion, I was watching the interview clip with her (it's an extra on the disc) and she mentioned she was 16 during the filming. That surprised me due to the fact she was nude in it and then I felt like a perv
Old 11-10-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess a better explanation is in order:

The Darjeeling Limited (enjoyed theatrical viewing, but least favorite Anderson, haven't watched it since I picked it up)
Bigger than Life (Excellent, but want to rewatch it to firm my feeling)
A Christmas Tale (Haven't seen it)
Close Up (Haven't seen it)
Gomorrah (Different than expected, but very good)
The Leopard (Stately film, good acting, beautiful technique - didn't love it, want to pick up the Blu and give another chance)
The Night of the Hunter (Excellent film)
Revanche (Still need to watch my Blu)
The Thin Red Line (Excellent, been a while since I saw it)
Antichrist (Just bought, need to view)
Black Narcissus (Arguably one of P&Ps best films and I haven't seen anything bad by them)
Black Orpheus (I liked it, didn't love it when I first saw it. Want to see again)
By Brakhage (Only seen a few of these. The fact that a lot of them have no sound puts me off a bit.)
Che (Still need to view my Blu)
Crumb (Just re-watched. Excellent)
Days of Heaven (Stunning film. Loved it less when I recently re-watched it, but it's still great)
Everlasting Moments (Haven't seen, but I keep hearing how great it is.)
Hunger (Very powerful, but don't know that I loved it.)
Paris, Texas (Heard about this for years. When I finally saw it earlier this year, I was blown away. One of the best films in the collection.)
Red Desert (Still need to view my Blu)
The Red Shoes (P&P again. Great film)
Ride with the Devil (Enjoyed more than others when I originally saw it. Need to view my Blu still)
The Secret of the Grain (Like I said before, I was surprised at how much I really loved this. Very humanist.)
The Summer Hours (Haven't seen)
Walkabout (Excellent film, but it's been a few years, so I need to watch my Blu I picked up last sale. Jenny Agutter is never a bad thing.)
Wings of Desire (Still need to watch my blu)
Old 11-10-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of the ones I have picked up and viewed:

The Darjeeling Limited - Essential if you are a Wes Anderson fan, I suppose. I found it a bit dry but it was a worthwhile purchase.

Bigger Than Life - Real dark, heavy film. Beautifully shot and composed. Recommended, not quite essential, but easily worth $13.

Revanche - Blind buy. Well acted, almost noir-like film with a weird spiritual edge. I still think about this one weeks after seeing it. Recommended, if not essential.

The Thin Red Line - One of my top 10 films and an essential purchase for me. Looks gorgeous in high def.

Black Narcissus - Essential. Looks stunning in high def, absolutely stunning.

Days of Heaven - Another stunner in high def. Slower and more contemplative than Thin Red Line. Essential unless you don't care for Malick.

Everlasting Moments - Blind buy. An intense family drama pic, reminded me a bit of My Left Foot. Some harrowing spousal abuse scenes. Beautifully shot and expertly acted. Well worth $13.

Red Desert - Blind buy. Loved, loved, loved this film and it immediately entered my top 20. Overwhelming, gorgeously shot industrial landscapes. Weird seeing Richard Harris dubbed into Italian.

The Red Shoes - Essential, even if you aren't into ballet and tights and stuff. Looks great in high def.

Walkabout - Highly recommended. Looks great in high def. Not quite essential but hard to pass up at $13.
Old 11-10-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bluetoast, I've seen them all. Here would be my votes for top five:

Night of the Hunter
Black Narcissus & Red Shoes
By Brakhage
Red Desert

Least interested/would not buy would be: Ride With the Devil, Darjeeling Limited.

I thought Summer Hours and A Christmas Tale were very good movies, but have a hard time figuring out why I would want to own them (e.g. I wouldn't return to them frequently). Same goes for Che. I think Close-Up, Everlasting Moments, and Antichrist may fall into this category, too.

Seems like there are not a lot of Revanche fans on this site, but I think that has been one of Criterion's more interesting contemporary releases, and I have found repeat viewings very rewarding. So, I'm sure that just helps muddy the waters.
Old 11-10-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 146 Posts

These are my pickups so far:
Seven Samurai 17.50+tax
The Darjeeling Limited 18.00+tax
Yojimbo & Sanguro (2 Movie Set) 23.62+tax
Antichrist 13.50+tax
Kagemusha 13.00+tax
Ride with the Devil 13.00+tax

I'm still likely going to order The Thin Red Line and I'm considering House as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.