Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Decided to take advantage of this sale for the first time. Joined up for the 2-month trial, printed up a bunch of coupons and went on my lunch to hit 3 stores that are in a little 30-minute loop around my office. I had a list of about 10 titles I was interested in. The first store I hit had at least one of all of them, including The Third Man, but would only let me use one coupon. I grabbed The Seventh Seal instead and picked up Che, M, Charade and Gomorrah between the other two stores. Then I saw in the thread this afternoon that The Third Man is out of print, so I headed back to the original store after work, only to see it had sold. Oh well. Probably pick up Stagecoach, Ride with the Devil and Days of Heaven tomorrow and my sister got me a copy of Thin Red Line at a store near her for my birthday present, so not a bad haul all in all.
Old 11-04-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
They may not be "hosed". The policy states they will accept .com CD/DVD returns in-store only if it is unopened. Opened items must be returned to Borders.com. I assume dino's BD was opened which is how he knew it was defective.
Mmmm...OK. I've returned stuff that was smashed, but it still had the shrinkwrap on. Not sure how this matters, as both types of defects make the item unsellable, and both will be returned by the store anyway.
Old 11-04-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got two more BD's and used two $5 coupons with no problems:

Breathless $13
Darjeeling Limited $13
Old 11-04-10, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Don't worry about OOS titles you want or their stock being "picked over". They have a very good automated replenishment system, and they get deliveries 2-3 times per week, plus the sale goes through 11/21.
I know they're going to get a TON of other stock during the course of this sale. I just was very excited to find The Golden Age of Television and was perfectly happy leaving with that.
Old 11-04-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up four more without problems. I used three (two separate coupon codes, so one repeat) and the cashier said he didn't think it would work but it was willing to try. When it worked on the three that I had had the store set aside, I said I had another coupon and I might take a look around and see if there was anything I wanted. He was willing to try, and of course it worked again. He was surprised, but fine with the transactions.

Merry Xmas, Mr. Lawrence
Seven Samurai
Breathless
Paths of Glory

I think I'm done until Modern Times/NotH.
Old 11-04-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So is it safe to use several of the $5 off one DVD/BD in one transaction or do you have to do it in separate transactions?
Old 11-04-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Kory
Picked these up today:

- The Darjeeling Limited*
- The Thin Red Line*
- Breathless*
- Paths Of Glory*
- Charade*
- Seven Samurai^
- The Leopard^
(* = $13.78 after tax, ^ = $18.55 after tax)

Probably going to sell my DVD copies of "Seven Samurai," "Repulsion," and "Bottle Rocket" and upgrade the other two on that list at some point, but I'll have to see how much I can get.
Alright, I think on top of these, I'm going to pick up:

- "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence"
- "The Night of the Hunter"
- "Antichrist"

And I'm kind of on the fence about:

- "The Magician"
- "Hunger"
- "Ride With The Devil"

All six are blind buys. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Kory; 11-04-10 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-04-10, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- "Ride With The Devil"

They're all blind buys. What do you guys think?
I actually did not think it was that good. Drawn out, boring, didn't feel connected with any of the characters. In general, I really like Ang Lee's films, but this one just fell short for me. I don't see this as one that most people would watch multiple times even if they liked it the first time.

Oh, and Night of the Hunter is a classic. Really good.
Old 11-04-10, 08:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ I wasn't hot for Ride with the Devil either despite loving Ang Lee's films usually. I'd avoid Antichrist unless you love other Von Trier films. That'd be the shakiest blind buy IMO. The Magician is good, but nothing I need to see multiple times. There are so many Bergman films to see and own before that one. I wish they'd have released The Virgin Spring or Wild Strawberries on blu-ray before that one. Night of the Hunter is a landmark American film, and one that is still engrossing today. That's a must-own. I really like Hunger as well, but understand if some find it a little artsy and slight of story. I'm a little more drawn to British films, and am particularly interested in docudramas that deal with sectarian conflict in Ireland. Never seen Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence. But, I've never found any films with David Bowie acting in them to be all that great--I will say that Bowie was brilliant as Tesla in The Prestige and Andy Warhol in Basquiat, though I wasn't thrilled about the films themselves.
Old 11-04-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone ordered Anti-Christ and not have it cancelled? I'm considering ordering it again.
Old 11-04-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Slave2Blu
I've had 100% success with single title purchases per visit. Not so much trying multiple titles with multiple coupons. But it can be done as you stated. I've had it work a couple times during the last sale. I decided just to stick with single title per visit this time much less painful. :-)

Those with fewer BN locations nearby may want to give it a shot though.
There is also a 15% off coupon out there that expires 11/7.

I usually don't try to use multiple coupons at one time, especially not the $5 off a DVD, because I had enough trouble last time just getting various cashiers to take even one.
But I just got back from what was probably the best in store C sale experience I've ever had.
I took the stack with me on the off chance I would get a cool cashier this time, and I did.
I started by asking him "listen, I have a few coupons that are all different. If I bought 3 titles now, could I use a different one for each movie?"
"shouldn't be a problem...let's see" and then commenced to scanning and keying in codes.
At one point he even said "don't worry, I'll make it work" and told me he wanted to take his time and be careful because he didn't want to have to void the transaction and get the manager over.
And then, after the whole process, and right before he totaled everything out, he went down the screen line by line to make sure all the discounts were taken off and that none canceled another out.
As he collected the money and gave me the change he said "this receipt is going to be hilarious".

Great kid. Hope no one busts his balls for that. In fact I may make another trip back just to check and see that manager didn't give him shit for it, and thank him again.

In the past I haven't minded picking up one title per trip, and just hitting a couple different locations each time I go out. A $40 msrp title for $14 is worth a little effort and expense- but I'm getting tired of doing that, and this makes things so much easier. 5 titles in two short trips. Nice.

Tonight I picked up
The Magician
Breathless
Paths Of Glory
House

using the 2 different $5 off + $5 off $50 + 15% off, the total came to $59- very close to the $14.14 I was paying with just the $5 off.

They're still holding Stagecoach for me, so I may go back in a day or two, otherwise I can now put this sale out of my mind until Modern Times and Night Of The Hunter street in a couple weeks.
Old 11-04-10, 10:28 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone else having their orders shipped DHL Global Mail? BN have always sent my stuff UPS, but I got 4 shipment e-mails and all but 1 are being sent DHL Global Mail, when I click to track it, none of them are registering (this is 2 days after they ship)
Old 11-04-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
Anyone else having their orders shipped DHL Global Mail? BN have always sent my stuff UPS, but I got 4 shipment e-mails and all but 1 are being sent DHL Global Mail, when I click to track it, none of them are registering (this is 2 days after they ship)
Same here. It's an annoyance, but as long as it arrives in good shape... that's all I ask. Though next time I'll probably just use the Visa 2-day ship offer...
Old 11-05-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Just Modern Times BD and Essential Art House Vol. 2 for me.

With the library link they were $17.99 and $44.99.
Old 11-05-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

- "Antichrist"

- "The Magician"
- "Hunger"
- "Ride With The Devil"

I can recommend The Night of the Hunter, that film is incredible.

Also, Hunger is phenomenal. I bought it during the last sale and I was blow away. Very well done film. If you know anything about the history of the events, it gives it a little more impact.

Can't speak to the rest (I have Ride With The Devil and Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence just haven't watched them yet. A friend recommened Antichrist, since I am a big Von Trier fan).
Old 11-05-10, 10:20 AM

- "Antichrist"

- "The Magician"
- "Hunger"
- "Ride With The Devil"

The Magician was just ok to me (i'm a pretty big Bergman fan...i would LOVE to see Criterion release a blu-ray of Persona!). Night of the Hunter is pretty good. Antichrist was a watch once only for me. Haven't seen the rest.
Anybody have/seen "Close-up"? I'm thinking of getting it.

Last edited by jsz1002; 11-05-10 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-05-10, 10:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jsz1002
The Magician was just ok to me (i'm a pretty big Bergman fan...i would LOVE to see Criterion release a blu-ray of Persona!). Night of the Hunter is pretty good. Antichrist was a watch once only for me. Haven't seen the rest.
Anybody have/seen "Close-up"? I'm thinking of getting it.
'Close-up' was a one-watch for me. I'm glad I saw it. But, I'm not dying to see it again.
Old 11-05-10, 10:57 AM

Okay, perhaps a stupid question: the $5 off $20 DVD coupon doesn't specifically mention Blu Ray anywhere on it. Is there a different coupon that I'm not seeing, or will the DVD one work just fine for Blu?
Old 11-05-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by efordvt
Okay, perhaps a stupid question: the $5 off $20 DVD coupon doesn't specifically mention Blu Ray anywhere on it. Is there a different coupon that I'm not seeing, or will the DVD one work just fine for Blu?
There is just the one coupon. Most B&N cashiers accept it on Blu-rays without a problem. However, I have read some stating that they were denied because of this.
Old 11-05-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

- "Hunger"
- "Ride With The Devil"
Hunger - well made movie, but questionable rewatch for me. It was uploaded on youtube, that's how I saw it...it's probably still there.

Ride with the Devil - I went in expecting to like it, and it did start pretty strong...but by the end I was struggling to finish it. Some really embarrassing scenes in there.
Old 11-05-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Placed my first order, kept it small:

- House
- The Darjeeling Limited
Old 11-05-10, 11:48 AM

I went back to the Fullerton, CA BN last night and returned and re-bought Seven Samurai with the correct coupon. Also found a copy of Charade, which I used another coupon for. Here's the thing: the cashier (another very friendly and helpful woman) said the coupon should not have been allowed for Charade, since after the Membership 10% off, it was less than $20. She allowed it since I was all the way out there, but if I get her again I won't be able to use it for Modern Times or Paths of Glory when those come in.
Old 11-05-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Okay I think I can make this easier on myself if I just pick up one or two (or three) a week at two different locations, one at a time, for $13 each, with cash. That way I can manage. I think.
Old 11-05-10, 03:38 PM

I bought 6 titles on the same trip at the local BN today. The employee had to call over a manager but they let me buy all 6 using 6 different $5 coupons one right after the other. Very nice. Saves me multiple trips. Purchased:

Darjeeling Limited
Bottle Rocket
Seventh Seal
Paths Of Glory
Seven Samurai
Charade.

I signed up for the two month free trial BN membership last night. 5 of the 6 titles were $13.88 each including tax. Seven Samurai was $18.68.

Last edited by Indio; 11-05-10 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-05-10, 03:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by blokhed
I went back to the Fullerton, CA BN last night and returned and re-bought Seven Samurai with the correct coupon. Also found a copy of Charade, which I used another coupon for. Here's the thing: the cashier (another very friendly and helpful woman) said the coupon should not have been allowed for Charade, since after the Membership 10% off, it was less than $20. She allowed it since I was all the way out there, but if I get her again I won't be able to use it for Modern Times or Paths of Glory when those come in.
Tell her to read the fine print. It specifically says on the coupon

"The selling price is the price at the register BEFORE taxes and discounts, including the standard Member discount are applied". that's word for word from the coupon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.