DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   $4.95 Blu Rays at DVD2Blu (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/581266-%244-95-blu-rays-dvd2blu.html)

seether254 10-28-10 01:38 AM

$4.95 Blu Rays at DVD2Blu

http://www.dvd2blu.com/products.html

I guess the deal is if you want to upgrade your old dvd's to blu ray just send in the disc (looks like u might even be able to send in the bonus disc) and pay the posted price for the upgrade. There's more than just the $4.95 ones but i was only looking for the cheap ones.

(sorry if this has already been posted did a quick search and couldn't find anything.)

Pizza 10-28-10 01:52 AM

Re: $4.95 Blu Rays at DVD2Blu

Much like the red2blu program. Not the most exciting bunch of titles. I've seen some of those single disc titles for $10 or less. By the time you add shipping you might be saving a buck or two at best plus the hassle of sending in a DVD. At least with the red plan you got to keep the disc and just send in the cover.

Nugent 10-28-10 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 10457112)
Much like the red2blu program. Not the most exciting bunch of titles. I've seen some of those single disc titles for $10 or less. By the time you add shipping you might be saving a buck or two at best plus the hassle of sending in a DVD. At least with the red plan you got to keep the disc and just send in the cover.

This deal is better than in the past as they have tweaked the program a bit.

Shipping is free if you order over $35 worth and you get a pre printed shipping label so they even pay for the shipping to them of your old DVD's. All they want is the actual disc, no cases.

With the new improvements to the program apparently you can send in ANY DVD for each title you order. Basically any random DVD you have on hand will work per title. Full details at the link below.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sit...-DVD2BLU/14615

Back in mid-August we reported about Warner Home Video's "DVD2BLU" program, which allows their customers to upgrade selected film and TV titles from the standard DVD format to the more modern high-def Blu-ray Disc format. For a low price (noticeably lower than the retail cost!) you could send in your old disc (just the DVD itself!) of a title, pay the upgrade charge, and Warner would send you the full package - same as you would get at retail - of the Blu-ray version of the title. Sweet deal, yeah?

Today Warner has announced that FOR A LIMITED TIME they will allow you to swap ANY old DVD (within just a few reasonable restrictions; more on that in a moment) to upgrade to any of the Blu-ray Disc titles in their DVD2BLU program. Let's make sure we're clear on that: it's not that they've added any new Blu-ray titles to the program; the same choices are there today as there were yesterday. What's new is that the staff at the warehouse who receive the old DVD discs will not, for the duration of this promotion, check to make sure the disc you sent in is the same title as the new one you're getting.

The disc you choose to send in can be ANY old DVD, from ANY studio (Warner or otherwise), as long as it's professionally made-and-sold (i.e., no DVD-Rs you recorded yourself, no bootlegs, nothing like that). Also, it can't be "adult material" (i.e., nothing that would be considered "X-rated", but if it's an old copy of a mainstream movie that has nudity or sexual themes, like Body Heat, then we're pretty sure that it's going to be fine). As long as it meets that criteria, the DVDs you choose to send Warner can have been bought from anywhere: regular retail stores, dollar stores, online, whatever. The exact studio-provided wording is this:
Dust off those unwanted DVDs you already own and send us one (Disc Only) for every Blu-ray you wish to own. Please note only professionally produced DVDs (anything from a major/independent studio sold at retail), non Adult content will qualify.
Remember, whatever you send, you're not getting it back, so make sure you really don't want it! This is, like we said above, a limited time offer. An end date for this promotion has not been supplied: it could be available for days, or for weeks, but we doubt it will be around very long at all so if you want to participate, then don't dawdle...jump on it immediately! We hope, of course, that this promotion is around a nice long time, but we're simply not counting on it. Head right away to:

DVD2BLU.com
Full and complete details for this program can be found there; please depend on them (rather than us!) for the final say on how this works. And hey, if you have ever bought a "best of" disc about your favorite TV show, and later moved up to a full season set or complete series set for that show, then this is a great way to do something constructive with that old "best of" disc that you didn't know how to get rid of. If not for yourself, then for somebody who needs a gift this holiday season. Nice, thanks Warner!

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sit...#ixzz13dRHDcd6

darkhawk 10-28-10 06:48 AM

Head to this thread if you want more info.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/564...am-begins.html

rfduncan 10-28-10 08:30 AM

Hmm. That's cool. I have already upgraded most of the ones on that list so it'd be nice to send in some other DVDs and get some different Blu-rays!

Doc Moonlight 10-28-10 09:40 AM

I'm assuming they would take an R2 or R4 disc as long as it is professionally made. I bought an Australian copy of THE WILD BUNCH back in the day, because it wasn't a flipper like the US version. Since that version is now obsolete and there is no demand for it it would be a good way to get rid of it.

Manzana 10-28-10 09:55 AM

I'm glad this was posted here in a separate thread (though I saw it on SD this morning so I already knew about it) because I rarely look in the HD Talk forum. However, with 2 threads it's difficult to know if I should post the same thing in each or could we all please move our discussion over to the official thread linked above?

The quick summary of what I posted in the other thread is I just ordered The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Pushing Daisies seasons for $14.95 each because I don't trust Warner not to remove them from the list or jack up the prices because that's a pretty good deal considering we can send in 1 DVD of ANYTHING by ANY studio for each of these sets to get them for that price, plus free shipping. I'm hoping the other $4.95 and $6.95 titles survive until I can place a second order this weekend (assuming that you can place multiple orders until you hit 25 per household).

VamPirateXXX 10-28-10 11:18 AM

Does anyone know if they'll accept the bonus features disc from a 2-disc set? For example, I already sent in my Freddy Vs. Jason Disc1 when it was title for title. Can I now send in Disc2 for something else? Unless I missed something, I don't see anything saying I can't.

kenbenobi 10-28-10 11:23 AM

I didn't know about the program change. I will likely put an order together! 5 bucks a BD is a great deal, especially when you can send them utter crap that trade-in places have rejected. :)

CurtisRob 10-28-10 12:11 PM

I'm in for (17) trade-ins. I had (8) trade-in rejects (ones my wife beat up playing over and over) that I dumped plus (9) DVDs I had already replaced with Blues. $5.43 (with tax) a Blu-ray is a great deal!

Bleeding Blue 10-28-10 01:07 PM

I'm in for seven titles myself. I had some absolute dog titles that I would never watch again. Even more so, I would never be able to get rid of them for anything of value so this is a perfect opportunity to get $5.00 Blu-Rays. I also bought Fringe Season 1 for $19.95.

NoirFan 10-28-10 01:09 PM

Too bad none of their newer catalog titles are included - Maltese Falcon, Sierra Madre, Forbidden Planet or A Star is Born - otherwise I'd be all over this.

Manzana 10-28-10 01:13 PM

Since it seems like people are posting here rather than in the other thread...

How does WB track the 25 upgrades per household rule? In months past I placed 2 prior orders for maybe 10 titles, then today I ordered Sarah Connor Chronicles and Pushing Daisies because I didn't dare wait until the weekend being afraid they'd go up in price or be taken off the list (like Planet Earth was). So I'm probably at 15 titles now. Can I place another order this weekend as long as I stay under 25 total? I assume they track by mailing address?

darkhawk 10-28-10 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by VamPirateXXX (Post 10457851)
Does anyone know if they'll accept the bonus features disc from a 2-disc set? For example, I already sent in my Freddy Vs. Jason Disc1 when it was title for title. Can I now send in Disc2 for something else? Unless I missed something, I don't see anything saying I can't.

It's worth giving it a try. Sell disc 2 on craigslist or ebay and make $1-3. Or risk losing the disc (I'm sure you can get a refund for the $5) or get a new BD for $5.

Schloob1 10-28-10 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by VamPirateXXX (Post 10457851)

Seeing as how it is actually not a movie, I would say no personally. But is there not an e-mail or phone# to contact for questions such as this?

Kory 10-28-10 02:20 PM

Just a heads up, people at Blu-ray.com who have called their customer service have reported that the CSRs are trying to tell them that they have to exchange the DVD of the Blu-ray, and that nothing has changed. Another more in-the-know CSR said that they actually aren't part of WB and are just contracted by WB, and they haven't been informed of the changes in the program yet. Things should get sorted out soon, but until then, it might be best to wait a day or two to mail in your DVDs.

Indy Jones Fan 10-28-10 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kory (Post 10458369)
Just a heads up, people at Blu-ray.com who have called their customer service have reported that the CSRs are trying to tell them that they have to exchange the DVD of the Blu-ray, and that nothing has changed. Another more in-the-know CSR said that they actually aren't part of WB and are just contracted by WB, and they haven't been informed of the changes in the program yet. Things should get sorted out soon, but until then, it might be best to wait a day or two to mail in your DVDs.

This was taken directing from dvd2blu.com site so hopefully the CSR's will get everything straight soon.

Q: Can I really swap any DVD for a new Blu-ray disc?

A: Yes, qualifying DVDs include any pre-recorded discs that contain professionally produced content purchased at a regular retail or e-commerce store (excluding adult content). The DVDs can contain film, TV, sports, animation or documentary content and can be from Warner Bros. or non-Warner Bros. Blank or copied DVDs do not qualify.

Kory 10-28-10 03:41 PM

Trust me, I know it's on the site, but it would suck for them to receive your DVDs and essentially discard your order because they think it's wrong, before they get things sorted out.

wormraper 10-28-10 03:50 PM

if they discard my order that I sent out the dvd's for yesterday.... I'm going to throw a shit fit :(

bigjim25 10-28-10 04:08 PM

So I can trade in cheap 3 pack DVDs from Big Lots?

j-bo 10-28-10 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by bigjim25 (Post 10458627)
So I can trade in cheap 3 pack DVDs from Big Lots?

Yep.

zyzzle 10-28-10 04:44 PM

Most of the available titles are old crappy releases from 2006 and 07, and / or direct HD-DVD ports. A couple of notable exceptions including Terminator SCC... Would get A SCANNER DARKLY if it was the new 2010 release, but I'd assume it's the old 2006 release, or can anyone tell for sure?

zyzzle 10-28-10 04:46 PM

Most of the available titles are old crappy releases from 2006 and 07, and / or direct HD-DVD ports. A couple of notable exceptions including Terminator SCC... Obvious, they're trying to get rid of old back stock, as most of these have well below $10 for a long time now! Would get A SCANNER DARKLY if it was the new 2010 release, but I'd assume it's the old 2006 release, or can anyone tell for sure?

CurtisRob 10-28-10 05:05 PM

The faq section of their website http://www.dvd2blu.com/faq.html has the following information regarding the change in program design and rules.

Blu-ray Upgrade Program FAQs
Q: Can I really swap any DVD for a new Blu-ray disc?
A: Yes, qualifying DVDs include any pre-recorded discs that contain professionally produced content purchased at a regular retail or e-commerce store (excluding adult content). The DVDs can contain film, TV, sports, animation or documentary content and can be from Warner Bros. or non-Warner Bros. Blank or copied DVDs do not qualify.
Q: Does it have to be a movie DVD?
A: No, also qualifying are DVDs containing TV, sports, animation or documentary content.
Q: Can I send in blank or copied DVDs?
A: No, they do not qualify.
Q: How about foreign DVDs?
A: Yes, as long as they contain professionally produced content (excluding adult content).
Q: How many DVDs may be swapped?
A: You may exchange up to 25 different DVDs per household. Also, there is a limit of 1 copy per movie.

b2net 10-28-10 06:02 PM

Don't forget the $4.95 per order shipping fees....