Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

$4.95 Blu Rays at DVD2Blu

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: $4.95 Blu Rays at DVD2Blu

Deal is now dead. Looks like on January 14, 2015, WB no longer offers this. But, For customer service questions please call 866-842-1711.
Old 01-19-15, 08:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Looking forward to seeing their rollout of blu2reallyblu 4k blu Ray disc trade-in program.
Old 01-19-15, 10:36 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Completely forgot about this program, I don't think I ever used it, though I did play around with the cart a few times.
On another note, when looking through this thread, I wonder whatever happened to Manzana?
Old 01-19-15, 10:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Stuck in customer service hell at Best Buy.
Old 01-19-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Looking forward to seeing their rollout of blu2reallyblu 4k blu Ray disc trade-in program.
Sorry, that deal is already over.
Old 01-19-15, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a great program at the beginning, but once Blu Ray prices started falling and they actually raised the prices of some of the trade-ins I think the writing was on the wall.
Old 01-19-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Completely forgot about this program, I don't think I ever used it, though I did play around with the cart a few times.
On another note, when looking through this thread, I wonder whatever happened to Manzana?
Manzana is alive and well on another forum. His distinctive writing voice continues to amuse as the Larry David of retail media shopping.
Old 01-19-15, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Manzana is alive and well on another forum. His distinctive writing voice continues to amuse as the Larry David of retail media shopping.
That is a great way to phrase it, even giving a clue to his other identity. Very clever.
Old 01-20-15, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I think after reading a few posts over there I flat out asked in several threads if he was manzana from dvdtalk. He hinted but never said for sure. I don't need him to confirm. Nobody else posts like that. Nobody.
Old 01-20-15, 12:59 PM
Cool New Member

I think I missed this Manzana character and I do love a good forum character. Someone link me to a good example of his madness please.
Old 01-20-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by xangelx
I think I missed this Manzana character and I do love a good forum character. Someone link me to a good example of his madness please.
You may regret this.

It's hard to believe, but I do miss his rants.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Manzana
I don't even know why I ordered this since I've never seen 1 microsecond of any episode of Weeds, but people said it was a good deal so I figured worst case is I could sell it for about what I paid. On the positive side, it's available to watch on Netflix so I should at least watch a few episodes, but on the negative side I never have time to watch much.

At least mine didn't arrive damaged, but I haven't opened it yet. One must remember in this world of cost-cutting and cheapness, COST is far more important than convenience, ease of removing discs, or whether the discs get scratched a little. Besides, almost every person in retail I talk to says that special handling/packaging doesn't matter for BD discs because they are so durable. Sure, they are a lot better than DVDs for scratches, but they can still get scratched and ruined. I've learned that most companies don't care, so unless a ton of people complain nothing will happen to change this trend. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't go the spindle pack route. That actually might've been better than this packaging.

I haven't yet heard of any DVDs or Blu-Rays rotting (degrading over time due to the layers separating or glue eating into the data layer). I hope that holds as I really don't plan to rebuy my movies again on the next format (4K BD I presume), and nothing would curtail my BD buying faster than hearing that they are starting to rot (it happened to certain laserdiscs en masse).
That's surprising and nice that it works in store. I finally managed to place 1 order for 2 console games I didn't care about much. I finally got an in-store pickup ready, went to the store, and they said at that very moment they got a memo saying no more, and they told me to take a hike. They had no problem honoring 55" Samsung LED smart TVs for $329, $8.87 27" computer monitors, or $33.16 treadmills all day long out the wazoo for everyone else, but the moment I show up for 2 stupid consoles games for $18.03 each (which I guarantee will be under $18.03 within a year)... call the army, call the marines, call the national guard! We can't allow that!

I'm wondering if my $10 GC will ever show up. Probably not automatically. $10 barely covers my time wasted going to Walmart as I didn't have anything to buy that day (including food which is what I buy at Walmart 95% of the time). Then if you really want to be disgusted you should find the old thread which has become a Craigslist bragging session with people posting pictures of the dozens of 55" TVs, Disney Infinitys, monitors, exercise equipment they bought dirt cheap from Walmart and are reselling for 2-3x what they paid on Craigslist or eBay. I've always thought Craigslist and even Slickdeals.net should be renamed to FlippersHeaven or ResellersHeaven (or Haven).
Thanks for posting this. "Sorry, there was an error processing your request" is what I get every time I attempt to use a valid gift card to order. Of course it took it when I paid explicitly by credit card. It seems BB tries its best to make sure you can't use RZ certificates (by the $4.99 price vs. $5 certificate amount) or GCs even when you have them available by one trick or another. Now we'll see if they actually have it there when I go later this week or if they'll cancel it and call it a price mistake. All I know is I'm not rushing there to pick it up (nor am I able to go to stores easily any more thanks to F'n work destroying my schedule).
Wonderful. Another change for the worse in the PM policy because requiring supervisor/manager approval means waiting around for someone to arrive and it's the managers/supervisors at my nearest store who don't like me and look for any excuse to deny. The normal rank and file employees typically won't deny a PM once they've verified the price and it's in stock (which is another step that takes a while). It just means PM'ing became more difficult and time consuming, though there are less and less opportunities to PM as BB carries fewer and fewer movies. I rarely PM at Fry's because they are so slow to do it it's usually not worth it.

Target's the last bastion of relatively easy PMs and coupon acceptance with PMs or sale prices. Usually whoever is at CS pulls out the Ipad, looks it up, and does the PM. On rare occasion they call over a supervisor. If only Target had a decent movie inventory I'd never set foot in a BB, Walmart or Fry's looking for movies, but sadly they don't. Someday I fear Target may go the route of BB by requiring items to be in stock for PMs and also requiring manager's approval, denying coupons if you also PM or the item is on sale, and eventually requiring a driver's license to return anything (even if you pay cash) and threatening to ban you if you return "too much" (no employee at BB is capable of defining how much is "too much"... meaning too much is whenever their computer feels like saying so). I have never been banned at BB for returns, but the threat makes me go to Target whenever I can. Once Target goes they way of BB, my B&M movie shopping days will be mostly over.

Back to your regularly schedule BB BD bargains thread... (too bad there aren't any now).
The reason everyone's orders are being fulfilled is that I missed out on this deal. In fact, it happened while I was at work where I'm limited in how often I can check for deals, and when I went there it was still $14.99. I added it to my cart, started to go through checkout, and then the browser hung. When I hit refresh the price in my cart had jumped to normal price. So I literally missed it by minutes, and as usual it's work's fault.

Had I ordered it, they wouldn't have honored the deal (well at least not mine). For those who remember, I'm 0 for at least 4 price mistakes orders over the last several years from WB Shop. They've always cancelled every price mistake order I've made (the few that I could). So thank my work for not letting me check often enough to miss the deal that allowed everyone else to get theirs. I'm the jinks on any deal.
If Amazon ships any of these price mistake BDs, please post!

I'm always curious what Amazon does in these cases. For me I'm 0 shipped for at least 6 price mistake orders over the years. The biggest fiasco was when they had a ton of music CDs for $1-$3 each which should've been 3-4x that price. I thought it was a legitimate sale and spent a lot of time ordering dozens of CDs. They cancelled about half of them right away and then dragged their feet for a couple weeks on the other half with 2 reps promising they were just OOS and would ship soon. Then out of the blue they cancelled them all. They were all on 1 order but they spammed me with separate emails for each item cancelled (fortunately the only time that has ever happened). It took a lot of complaining to get some credit to make up for this... and I felt totally justified doing it.

So if Amazon honors any of these, I'd be deeply shocked.
Good observations and you're correct. Unfortunately it's an OCD related obsessiveness about not wanting to miss good deals. Keeping my eye out for deals takes more time than it should and keeps me from having as much time to enjoy what I have, plus family and work come first leaving me only a few hours per week for movies or games, and I probably own more movies and games than most people do and they sit on the shelves in shrinkwrap calling out to me every day in vain. I dream every day of not having to work and being able to be home with family watching movies and enjoying the stuff I have, but unfortunately I don't know how to game the system and live off the government like apparently a majority of the country does, so I have to work. I think the entire financial system is going to collapse anyway with all the government debt, so it's probably all a moot point anyway and everything will restart from scratch (savings, jobs, etc.) for those who survive the chaos.

If only I could reign in my OCD, but it's pretty hopeless and medicine didn't help much. It goes in cycles. But you're basically right, I know it, and I can't stop it completely. I should totally ignore this site, other BD sites, and Slickdeals for a while. While I would miss some pretty awesome deals, I'd have more time and probably be less stressed. I used to be OCD about investments and watched the stock market ("psycho market" in my lexicon) daily, but it was so stressful I finally ate my losses, dumped all my stocks, put the rest in index funds, and don't look at it any more. That made me immensely happier. Better to make less money and worry less. Ignoring movies and electronics deals would be much harder since I'm an electronics junkie by nature.
Such a documentary would only be interesting at Worst Buy. At other stores like Target and Walmart, I rarely have coupon troubles and it would be pretty boring. Besides, we'd have to turn off the camera if I run across a nice employee I recently met at Worst Buy who sometimes helps me out. It would be worth filming a conversation with my local store manager, though. Those are always entertaining (in a bad way).

I still have 2 U&S coupons I need to use up by Friday (as I don't plan to make a special trip on the precious weekend). I'm struggling to find 2 more >= $9.99 BD titles I consider worthwhile. There are tons of multi-packs in the store, but I usually have 1 out of 2 or 2 out of 3 titles. I'm making one more trip before the end of the week, and I sure hope I can come up with something. That's why I like to read these threads and see what other people are buying (and at what prices). Often I get my ideas of what to buy from other people's posts.

Like another poster here, I always wonder if the multi-packs include the same discs as the individual releases, but so far I have never heard they don't. At worst they drop any additional bonus discs, but thankfully most studios don't repress cheapened (i.e. sans extras) discs for multi-packs. It would be so great if there were an official BD multi-pack thread where people list any exceptions to this rule so we can avoid those multi-packs.

One other thing... people were talking about Dredd 3D BD being $14.99 AC. So I checked all of my stores and not a single one had it in stock! This was a recent release, right? So I had to express lane that one, and $14.99 is a lot for a blind buy, but enough people spoke positively of it. Ironically I had express laned Demolition Man with U&S because no stores had it, so of course yesterday I saw a stack of them at the store. Oh how I hate the low inventories during these sales. And I still can't find The Lovely Bones 2 disc BD anywhere. I'm thinking I'm going to return my 1 disc BD I got in the mail, and that'll leave me with 3 coupons to use. I have tons more DT DVDs I could trade in, but no point when I can't even use the coupons I have.
Old 01-20-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
You may regret this.

It's hard to believe, but I do miss his rants.
You're right. It IS hard to believe!
I did not know his username on BR. I'll have to keep an eye out...
Old 01-20-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I used to always remember how he used to always have trouble at this one particular Best Buy. I think someone just asked him afterwards why he kept on going to that Best Buy and he answered something like it was close to his workplace. If a store mad me that miserable, I'd just stop going to it all together.
Old 01-21-15, 11:27 AM
Cool New Member

Wow. This guy is/was the best. Classic.