DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Best Price on Back to the Future? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/580793-best-price-back-future.html)

mulderxcoltrane 10-16-10 10:27 AM

Lowest Price on Back to the Future?

Can anywhere beat the $47.99 at Amazon?

truelies 10-17-10 05:14 PM

Re: Best Price on Back to the Future?

I will hold on $47.99. Hope has better price.

Gizmo 10-17-10 05:19 PM

You can't just look at the ads?

AmityBoatTours 10-17-10 06:10 PM

well Iam getting mine from amazon for 44.33 thanks to the get 5.00 off when you buy 2 universal movies from amazon.
Psycho which was deliverd to me yesterday ended up only haveing 1.35 taken off the price so the remaining 3.65 is going towards BTTF

SRGilbert 10-17-10 09:18 PM

I'm excited to get this, but not enough to pay $45 to get it right away. I won't have a chance to watch them until after the holidays anyway. Plus, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a deal at Costco or somewhere on Black Friday at this point.

zekeburger1979 10-18-10 12:20 AM

I'm waiting to find out if the extras on the UK version will play on a PS3 here in the states. I want to get the deluxe edition with all the goodies in it.

JohnBeas 10-18-10 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane (Post 10433566)
Can anywhere beat the $47.99 at Amazon?

Same price at Best Buy but I wouldn't consider this much of a bargain.

seether254 10-18-10 02:06 PM

personally i like that UK import that comes with the DeLorean

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-Trilo...f=pd_cp_d_h__2

StephenX 10-18-10 04:22 PM

Some of my favorite movies of all time, the first one being my all-time favorite.

That being said, if you can wait, I bet you good money that on Black Friday, this set will be in $30 ballpark.

COACH2369 10-18-10 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by seether254 (Post 10437783)
personally i like that UK import that comes with the DeLorean

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-Trilo...f=pd_cp_d_h__2

I would LOVE that version of it and wish it was going to be released in the U.S. It doesn't even look like it is available to order yet off of there...

rfduncan 10-18-10 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by StephenX (Post 10438036)
That being said, if you can wait, I bet you good money that on Black Friday, this set will be in $30 ballpark.

That's what I'm thinking for as well. Dad mentioned this release at lunch today which would make it a good choice for Christmas. Here's hoping!

AmityBoatTours 10-18-10 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan (Post 10438311)
That's what I'm thinking for as well. Dad mentioned this release at lunch today which would make it a good choice for Christmas. Here's hoping!

Thats the great thing about the release date for back to the future its less than 30 days before blackfriday, so if it is in the 30 dollar range for black friday, I can allways buy it again and return it with my original reciept.

Manzana 10-19-10 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 10438668)
Thats the great thing about the release date for back to the future its less than 30 days before blackfriday, so if it is in the 30 dollar range for black friday, I can allways buy it again and return it with my original reciept.

That's true. The only thing holding me back from buying the BD BTTF trilogy is it's above my price point. However, they are among my favorite films and sometimes I'll make exceptions for those. What makes me hesitant is remembering this: in 2002 when the DVD trilogy set came out I paid almost full price ($39.99) because that was back before I learned my lesson the hard way about price drops. I still haven't opened it up, and it has been as cheap as $10.49 on Amazon. If I pay $45 for the BD trilogy, I expect the same story to repeat.

Mao 10-19-10 10:29 AM

I guess I'm the one person who isn't balking at the price. Slightly over $15 a piece for each film on the Blu-Ray format is more than worth it for me.

I kinda feel like we're being spoiled by the occasional cheap bone and mistake a company or store makes and we've simply come to devalue BRs much too quickly.

I don't expect a huge drop in any of these big sets coming out this fall.

As for not enjoying something you purchased, then I wouldn't purchase it until it's at a price point you prefer. In the meantime, I'll enjoy three of my favorites in all their high definition glory! :D

TomOpus 10-19-10 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mao (Post 10439159)
I guess I'm the one person who isn't balking at the price. Slightly over $15 a piece for each film on the Blu-Ray format is more than worth it for me.

I'm glad I don't have a "price point" in order to buy and enjoy a movie. I have a "movie point"... if a movie comes out that I want, I will get it.

ScissorPuppy 10-19-10 11:37 PM

The pricing for BTTF is fine, compare it to the Alien boxset coming out. BTTF is 3 movies with tons of extras (most previously released) for around 50 bucks, Alien is 4 movies with tons of extras (most previously released) for around 100 bucks. We have nothing to complain about with BTTF.

Qui Gon Jim 10-20-10 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 10440149)
I'm glad I don't have a "price point" in order to buy and enjoy a movie. I have a "movie point"... if a movie comes out that I want, I will get it.

Why post this in a sub-forum dedicated to bargains? You know that there are some looking to wring every last penny out of a purchase. Like many here, I learned my lesson from DVD and I have a price point that I am reluctant to break.

Michael Corvin 10-20-10 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim (Post 10440955)
Like many here, I learned my lesson from DVD and I have a price point that I am reluctant to break.

Exactly. I couldn't tell you the last time I touched my BTTF DVDs. It's been years, but if the BD is cheap enough, I'll grab it.

Manzana 10-20-10 09:44 AM

I understand where people are coming from having price points or not. If you're the kind of person who can buy something, watch it immediately, and enjoy it, then it makes sense not to have a price point if you really want something. If you're like me and barely have time to watch 2 movies and get maybe 2 hours of a game per week (and absolutely no other TV watching or entertainment), then you know whatever you buy... no matter how much you love the movies (like the BTTF series)... will sit on your shelf unopened for weeks, months, or years before you get around to that title because there are so many other movies you haven't seen yet that take priority. So I have a price point to stop me from having buyer's remorse so frequently. We all know the game retailers play with movie prices. We know the price will drop at least $10 in the first year, so I have to wait for a better price (even though I don't know exactly what that price point is) because I KNOW I won't have time to watch these movies any time soon. I agree (as mentioned) the price on this BTTF BD set is not out of line (especially compared to the Aliens BD set) So it all depends on one's situation.

Murmur 10-20-10 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10440966)
Exactly. I couldn't tell you the last time I touched my BTTF DVDs. It's been years, but if the BD is cheap enough, I'll grab it.

I'm in the same boat. I liked the movies, but I have not had time to watch too many lately - I have a backlog of purchased movies I have yet to see. And, over the past few years, I have started to become picky on what and when I buy. I am hoping that this will be a good black friday item (I'm also holding off on many other blu's hoping that they may pop up then as well). I have BTTF on dvd, and will wait for a good deal.

Rammsteinfan 10-20-10 10:24 AM

Im going to wait till BF and see if it comes down at least another 10-15 before biting. I probably wouldnt watch these for months anyways but still want them.

nando820 10-20-10 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10438973)
That's true. The only thing holding me back from buying the BD BTTF trilogy is it's above my price point. However, they are among my favorite films and sometimes I'll make exceptions for those. What makes me hesitant is remembering this: in 2002 when the DVD trilogy set came out I paid almost full price ($39.99) because that was back before I learned my lesson the hard way about price drops. I still haven't opened it up, and it has been as cheap as $10.49 on Amazon. If I pay $45 for the BD trilogy, I expect the same story to repeat.

I say don't buy them at all. If BTTF is one of you favorite films and in all these years you have not even open it, there is no point in getting it now, it would only be there making company to its DVD counterpart growing old till it deteriorates.

truelies 10-20-10 03:13 PM

The spending money for adv. the movie on cnnmoney.com instead of give buyer discount.

kenbenobi 10-20-10 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy (Post 10440713)
We have nothing to complain about with BTTF.

There is always "something" to complain about. We don't have the set yet. I'm sure there will be something the reviewers find to complain about...

nickdawgy 10-20-10 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by truelies (Post 10441849)
The spending money for adv. the movie on cnnmoney.com instead of give buyer discount.

Como what?