Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

B2G1Free at Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 12:55 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B2G1Free at Columbia House

Columbia House (dot) com has a sale going on for today Friday the 15th only. If you buy 2 Blu Rays you get a 3rd free. They didn't jack up their prices, which is always nice. Plus it works on preorders.
Old 10-15-10, 01:38 PM

Re: B2G1Free at Columbia House

Finally Columbia House has a decent sale. I got:
The American
Charlie St. Cloud
Despicable Me Blu-ray / DVD Combo
The Expendables Blu-ray / DVD Combo
Get Him to the Greek
The Other Guys Blu-ray / DVD Combo
approx 18$ each
Old 10-15-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

errrm... I think I'll pass. $18 per??
Old 10-15-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cgray
errrm... I think I'll pass. $18 per??
is that $18 per after the B2G1 Free? Seems so knowing CH.
Old 10-15-10, 03:47 PM

link?
Old 10-15-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just log into your account. It's the main header. There are actually MANY titles on sale for under $10. A bunch are 8.97 and 9.97, and several are 7.48. They are all included in the sale. I have 6 of the 8.97 titles in my cart right now. After the sale and shipping, it is $48.82 for 6 titles, or $8.13 each. I'm debating whether or not to pull the trigger...
Old 10-15-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shouldn't this be in the clubs section?
Old 10-15-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Meh this would be better if they didn't have such high shipping costs.. I had 3 added to my cart I wouldn't have minded getting, but after shipping it was essentially the same price as buying them in store or Amazon.
Old 10-15-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Meh this would be better if they didn't have such high shipping costs.. I had 3 added to my cart I wouldn't have minded getting, but after shipping it was essentially the same price as buying them in store or Amazon.
My order absolutely smokes Amazon, even with the $6.97 shipping-

Psycho
Maltese Falcon
Treasure of the Sierra Madre

CH $38.11/Amazon $52.97
Old 10-15-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
My order absolutely smokes Amazon, even with the $6.97 shipping-

Psycho
Maltese Falcon

CH $38.11/Amazon $52.97
Well I'm sure there are deals to be had I'm just saying on the particular titles I wanted they weren't a good deal.

I actually tried a different combination that wasn't a bad deal but I'm not sure I want to spend the money right now.
Peanuts Holiday Classics Collection
Se7en
Sherlock Holmes

Price would be like $55 which isn't bad considering its actually 5 titles. I'll probably just wait on them though for now.
Old 10-15-10, 06:26 PM

I picked up:

Secret in Their Eyes
Inception (Pre-Order)
Micmacs (Pre-Order)

The total came to $53.71 after shipping. I know Inception will be everywhere in December for $19.99 or less but it's not like Secret in Their Eyes nor Micmacs get run as loss leaders for the chain stores and they often aren't stocked. I was hoping to pick up Un Prophet but I can't find it on the website at all which is really odd considering Columbia House has almost all of the other Sony Pictures Classic releases.

I'm very pleased with this purchase considering I was going to have to pay just about full retail for Micmacs and Secret anyway.
Old 10-15-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought 6 of the under $10 titles, which averaged to $7.64 each shipped. I noticed that if you buy two $7.48 titles and four $8.97 titles, you can get two $8.97 titles to show up free, since the club price on all 6 titles is 14.95.
Old 10-15-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James

Psycho
Maltese Falcon

I was looking at this same order with Three Kings rather than Psycho.

Also looking at getting the Peanuts Holiday Collection along with Bridge over the River Kwai and another $25ish title. Any suggestions?
Old 10-15-10, 08:19 PM

I was looking at this same order with Three Kings rather than Psycho.

Also looking at getting the Peanuts Holiday Collection along with Bridge over the River Kwai and another $25ish title. Any suggestions?
Wolverine And The X-Men: The Complete Series is $26.97. You can't take it as your free one, but it will act as one of the B2, and they aren't charging more than a normal BD for the shipping even though it's listed as a 3-disc set.
Old 10-16-10, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by mifuneral
Shouldn't this be in the clubs section?
Agree. This thread is useless unless you are a columbia house member and then you probably frequent the DVD Clubs subforum in any case, where this belongs.
Old 10-16-10, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think creating a thread for it here was smart. I didn't end up taking advantage of it, but I rarely check the Clubs section, even though I'm a CH member. Posting it here, since it's Blu-ray related, helped bring it to the attention of many more members than it would have just in the Clubs section.
Old 10-16-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kory
I think creating a thread for it here was smart.
Agreed. BD sales at CH are VERY RARE, so posting it here got my attention. I never bother to check the clubs thread anymore, since it is always SD deals only...
If you think about it, posting a CH deal is no different than posting a Sams Club or Costco deal. They all require a membership to get in on the deal...
Old 10-17-10, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
If you think about it, posting a CH deal is no different than posting a Sams Club or Costco deal. They all require a membership to get in on the deal...
no, it's quite different. I can instantly become a member at Costco, take advantage of their deals, cancel the membership and get the full refund for the membership. With CH, you can't. There's a reason a subforum exists for those clubs and associated deals.
Mods please move this thread to the right forum.
Old 10-17-10, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're even thinking of following basketb's advice, Mods, I'll agree with the previous CH posters saying that the CH subforum has died a slow death, quality CH sales on blu-rays are very infrequent, and that this thread belonged and belongs here. Sounds like at least three people, including myself, wouldn't have seen this sale if not for it being posted here. At least two of those people then went on to make use of the sale. I know those numbers aren't huge, but hey -- we only have one person griping.
Old 10-17-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At that person didn't have to click on this thread if he knew what ch involves.
Old 10-17-10, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by basketb
I can instantly become a member at Costco, take advantage of their deals, cancel the membership and get the full refund for the membership.
Hey man, that's awesome.
I love when people talk about doing this kind of thing.
Old 10-17-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cheato
Hey man, that's awesome.
I love when people talk about doing this kind of thing.
What, wasting a lot of time jumping through hoops just to save a few bucks?
Old 10-17-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

no, it's quite different. I can instantly become a member at Costco, take advantage of their deals, cancel the membership and get the full refund for the membership. With CH, you can't. There's a reason a subforum exists for those clubs and associated deals.
If you want to waste your time and do something immoral, that's your own business. But for us normal people, a club is a club is a club. If you have to be a member of the club to take advantage of the deals, CH, Costco, and Sam's are no different. Just because you have the ability to abuse one of them doesn't change that fact.
Old 10-17-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you're even thinking of following basketb's advice, Mods, I'll agree with the previous CH posters saying that the CH subforum has died a slow death, quality CH sales on blu-rays are very infrequent, and that this thread belonged and belongs here. Sounds like at least three people, including myself, wouldn't have seen this sale if not for it being posted here. At least two of those people then went on to make use of the sale. I know those numbers aren't huge, but hey -- we only have one person griping.
I agree. I have no problem with CH deals being posted in the main thread if it's a REALLY good sale (of course people's definitions of that are different). I can't remember the last time I've bothered to look in the Clubs forums (has to be many months and could even be closer to a year) precisely because CH's deals are infrequent and I'm no longer excited by $10 or $15 deals, plus free shipping is so rare. The last time I used CH might've been when I switched over to paperless and they offered the "free" DVD for $2.95 shipping. I spent way too long (probably almost an hour) going over their inventory struggling to find a single DVD that was worth $2.95 to me, and what I finally chose was borderline at best. I pretty much delete all of their sale emails and only visit their site to cancel my director's selection and I don't bother looking at anything else.

Maybe this was a good deal, but B2G1F + shipping still doesn't feel like a great deal because I'm now in the super-cheap mode where DVDs have to be under $5 and BDs under $10... unless it's a new release I really want (or a Disney which they don't sell) where I'll go up a bit more in price. Those specials releases are rare. I didn't even bother to look at the titles in this latest deal.
Old 10-17-10, 02:44 PM
Banned

Mods please move this thread to the right forum.
what a load of bologna.

i signed up on friday. i nabbed 7 dvds. as soon as i did, i was able to use the online store and placed a b2g1 order: a Harry Potter UE, Wolverine and the X-Men, and a free copy of the Exorcist.

my membership agreement was met the same day i registered. once i have titles in hand, i can cancel at any time.

without this thread, and a single post at HighDefDigest (shout out to sister site!), i wouldn't have known about this. if you have sand in a delicate area, that's your problem, but many of us who don't give a rat's sphincter about the club section, due to how rare a BD sale is these days on CH benefited from this thread.

thanks OP, ignore the haters!