DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Robocop Trilogy $5 coupon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/580428-robocop-trilogy-%245-coupon.html)

joltman 10-08-10 06:16 AM

Robocop Trilogy $5 coupon

link

Just click the Entertainment category to find it.

Rammsteinfan 10-08-10 12:39 PM

Re: Robocop Trilogy $5 coupon

Got my coupon and went back to walmart w/ receipt to get my $5 back. :thumbsup:

izatright 10-08-10 01:30 PM

How much is it at Walmart? $25?

TheMovieman 10-08-10 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by izatright (Post 10419096)
How much is it at Walmart? $25?

Something like that, yeah (which isn't too bad since both Amazon and even Walmart.com is $36.xx).

Rammsteinfan 10-08-10 02:03 PM

It came down to $24.96 after coupon + tax. Something like $27.xx out the door. Didnt think it was too bad of a price for probably will be the only releases on these films for many years.

AmityBoatTours 10-09-10 10:16 PM

just used the robocop coupon and the frys ad price matched at bestbuy. I also still had my robocop bluray i bought from bestbuy a while back but never got around to opening, so i brought it with me to see if i could return it (sans reciept) for a store credit knowing that some of the bestbuys now allow one or two returns with out reciept per year now, and used that towards the trilogy set aswell, thanks for the heads up on the coupon.

AlexOi 10-10-10 01:04 AM

Does Frys take coupon?

AmityBoatTours 10-10-10 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by AlexOi (Post 10421597)
Does Frys take coupon?

They did for toystory cause they mentioned the disney coupons in the ad, but before that i dont think they did but bestbuy does, so just pricematch the frys price at bestbuy and use the coupon thats what i did

Robert 10-10-10 09:18 AM

Thanks!:up:

AlexOi 10-10-10 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 10421633)
They did for toystory cause they mentioned the disney coupons in the ad, but before that i dont think they did but bestbuy does, so just pricematch the frys price at bestbuy and use the coupon thats what i did

Tried bestbuy, they will price match it but won't take the coupon. The CS said price matching it is already given me the discount already. I will try it at target again.

AmityBoatTours 10-10-10 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by AlexOi (Post 10421944)
Tried bestbuy, they will price match it but won't take the coupon. The CS said price matching it is already given me the discount already. I will try it at target again.

Dont fall for that bs when a cs trys to say that. There is nothing in bestbuys policy posted instore or online saying that you can not use a coupon and get a price match. A price match is a store policy it is not a offer, i have had a few instances in the past where they tried that crap. Usually when i confront the manager about it, they realize that there is nothing in the policy saying that you cant use a coupon with a price match. (they get the freaking money back from the coupon when they redeem it) and on the few instances where the manager was not wanting to budge i have called the 1-800 number right there in line and after speaking to a rep they pretty much always will call the store location and tell them that they are suppose to accept both.
and each time ive called they said the stores are suppose to allow both because if you were going to take the coupon to the store that had the lower price to begin with and used the coupon. it would be the same price as what bestbuy would get if they price matched and accepted the coupon.

havent had that issue with coupons and price matching in a while now as the store management has stayed the same over the last year and a half, so they all seem to know thats the way it works. but i keep it on speed dial just incase, i come in one day and they have changed management and i have to argue for it again.

Manzana 10-11-10 09:14 AM

When a store gives me trouble with PM'ing + using a manufacturer's coupon, I say they are completely independent... the mfg. coupon is like cash to the store when the store redeems it. Almost every coupon has something about not combinable with other offers, and any store/employee/manager who feels like being a snot (and it seems like a majority do in my area) can use that not combinable with other offers line as an excuse to get out of it by claiming the PM is a special offer.

I was thinking of PM'ing the Robocop Trilogy minus the $5 off coupon at Target where the probability of success is the highest. Is $28.97 at Fry's the best printed ad price? (PM'ing with an online printout is even more YMMV.) That's still about $24 + tax. I'd pay that if they were stellar BD releases, but I just searched the Robocop reviews and there are none for this Trilogy on DVD-Basen, and the few on Amazon aren't particularly positive. The reviews for the standalone Robocop (which I assume this includes) aren't particularly positive. It sounds like they put almost no extras on these and went BD-25 out of cheapness. Unless I see some reviews to the contrary, I'll probably stick with my old DVD trilogy until they do it right on BD.

AmityBoatTours 10-11-10 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10423614)
When a store gives me trouble with PM'ing + using a manufacturer's coupon, I say they are completely independent... the mfg. coupon is like cash to the store when the store redeems it. Almost every coupon has something about not combinable with other offers, and any store/employee/manager who feels like being a snot (and it seems like a majority do in my area) can use that not combinable with other offers line as an excuse to get out of it by claiming the PM is a special offer.

I was thinking of PM'ing the Robocop Trilogy minus the $5 off coupon at Target where the probability of success is the highest. Is $28.97 at Fry's the best printed ad price? (PM'ing with an online printout is even more YMMV.) That's still about $24 + tax. I'd pay that if they were stellar BD releases, but I just searched the Robocop reviews and there are none for this Trilogy on DVD-Basen, and the few on Amazon aren't particularly positive. The reviews for the standalone Robocop (which I assume this includes) aren't particularly positive. It sounds like they put almost no extras on these and went BD-25 out of cheapness. Unless I see some reviews to the contrary, I'll probably stick with my old DVD trilogy until they do it right on BD.

Yes for now the best price is the frys sales ad from this past friday that runs till thursday.
Also i dont think you are going to have much luck looking for this at target, every target i went to before i hit bestbuy never got any in and dont even show it in there computer for the stores in this region.

I suppose it could be availble in other regions of the country but So Cal being a major market, I am thinking that most targets around the us wont be carrying it as well. they dont even have a instore locator option on the set on the listing for it on target.com

I think you are going to be in for a long wait this will probably be the only release we see of Robocop trilogy on bd for a very very long time if ever.
If you are able to get it at 24 plus tax like you can until thursday then do it, Its a definate improvement over the DVD release in terms of PQ, is it perfect? No far from it but it looks better than the standard dvd and 24 bucks plus tax for these 3 movies is worth it if you are a fan of the series

carnage6 10-11-10 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10423614)

I'm a huge Robocop fan and I really only bought this release for Robocop 2. I can tell you that both Robocop 2 & 3 are about on par with each other. They look way better than the DVDs. You can tell they took some effort with them. I really have nothing to complain about in terms of PQ. I'm not disappointed I paid about $25 for just one movie. Robocop 1 on the other hand looks like crap considering it is just a repackage of the 1st release. They didn't even change the artwork on the disc so it clashes with the rest of the set. I really wish Criterion could get the rights to Robocop one last time. I do also think that for Robo 2 & 3 this is the best we will get for a while (if they ever decide to re-release them which is doubtful).

Manzana 10-11-10 11:13 PM

Thanks for the opinions on the Robocop Trilogy BD. Surprisingly Robocop 2 is my favorite too. Someone who speaks Spanish was watching a Spanish dubbed version on TV and I knew it so well that I was able to say most of the lines in English simultaneously. It was funny how far off most of the dubbed voices were from their originals... especially the mayor who was my favorite character. I know enough Spanish to know how inaccurate most of the translations are.

If I do try to get this this week, it seems the only 2 possibilities have problems:
- Fry's probably won't accept the $5 off manufacturer coupon.
- Best Buy probably won't PM Fry's and accept the $5 off manufacturer's coupon.

So, are there any other alternatives to get the BD Trilogy for $24 + tax?

AmityBoatTours 10-12-10 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10425172)
Thanks for the opinions on the Robocop Trilogy BD. Surprisingly Robocop 2 is my favorite too. Someone who speaks Spanish was watching a Spanish dubbed version on TV and I knew it so well that I was able to say most of the lines in English simultaneously. It was funny how far off most of the dubbed voices were from their originals... especially the mayor who was my favorite character. I know enough Spanish to know how inaccurate most of the translations are.

If I do try to get this this week, it seems the only 2 possibilities have problems:
- Fry's probably won't accept the $5 off manufacturer coupon.
- Best Buy probably won't PM Fry's and accept the $5 off manufacturer's coupon.

So, are there any other alternatives to get the BD Trilogy for $24 + tax?

Bestbuy WILL accept the frys pm and the coupon, if you get a cashier or person who is not familar with what there actual policy is then call the 1800 number while in line.

Manzana 10-12-10 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 10425287)
Bestbuy WILL accept the frys pm and the coupon, if you get a cashier or person who is not familar with what there actual policy is then call the 1800 number while in line.

OK. If my schedule permits, I'll try BBY once in the next couple days and "see what happens". If I get grief, I'll ask for a supervisor, but I won't have time to make a big deal over it or wait on hold a long time to get someone at the 800 number. I'll just leave without it. Do you really think it'll be a long time before they make a better Robocop Trilogy BD set? While I don't know any of the specifics of it, I've already seen double dips on a lot of BDs, and studios release BDs of lots of crappy (IMHO) movies when they still haven't released them for many good ones. Since Robocop 1 & 2 were good movies, I'm surprised they'd ignore it for a long time. I think the real truth is this... the studios are waiting for their secret monitoring devices they have installed at every store in the country to detect my purchase of the current Robocop Trilogy BD set. Once I'm past the return deadline, then they'll put the new Trilogy into the works. Just kidding. :-)

AmityBoatTours 10-12-10 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10425624)
OK. If my schedule permits, I'll try BBY once in the next couple days and "see what happens". If I get grief, I'll ask for a supervisor, but I won't have time to make a big deal over it or wait on hold a long time to get someone at the 800 number. I'll just leave without it. Do you really think it'll be a long time before they make a better Robocop Trilogy BD set? While I don't know any of the specifics of it, I've already seen double dips on a lot of BDs, and studios release BDs of lots of crappy (IMHO) movies when they still haven't released them for many good ones. Since Robocop 1 & 2 were good movies, I'm surprised they'd ignore it for a long time. I think the real truth is this... the studios are waiting for their secret monitoring devices they have installed at every store in the country to detect my purchase of the current Robocop Trilogy BD set. Once I'm past the return deadline, then they'll put the new Trilogy into the works. Just kidding. :-)

MGM filed for bankruptcy and they are in the middle of restructing the company for new owners. the fact that we have been able to get as many new catalog releases from them as we have (thanks in part to fox handling the home distribution for mgm for a while now) is pretty amazing.
Seriously dont expect a reissue of these anytime in the near future if ever.

If you end up getting someone who doesnt want to accept it and the price match even though they are suppose to and you dont have time to try calling on the phone while in line, try showing them a copy of a reciept showing that they are able to accept them.

the bestbet though is to call the 800 number if you have time cause if they get a call from a rep at HQ then they might be more inclined to not have issues with accepting the coupon when you price match in the future

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/img054-1.jpg

Kenny22 10-12-10 04:49 PM

I can't figure out how to access this coupon. I click on the link and there's no coupon there for me to print. Is anyone else having this issue? Do you have to be a member of this site or something to get it? Please help me out because I'd love to snag the trilogy up at a discounted price. Thanks!

AlexOi 10-12-10 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 10426100)
MGM filed for bankruptcy and they are in the middle of restructing the company for new owners. the fact that we have been able to get as many new catalog releases from them as we have (thanks in part to fox handling the home distribution for mgm for a while now) is pretty amazing.
Seriously dont expect a reissue of these anytime in the near future if ever.

If you end up getting someone who doesnt want to accept it and the price match even though they are suppose to and you dont have time to try calling on the phone while in line, try showing them a copy of a reciept showing that they are able to accept them.

the bestbet though is to call the 800 number if you have time cause if they get a call from a rep at HQ then they might be more inclined to not have issues with accepting the coupon when you price match in the future

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/img054-1.jpg

I had been to 2 Target stores but they didn't have the trilogy in stock. I checked target.com, it said online only, not available in store. So I ended up went to the same bestbuy again since this is the only bestbuy near a frys store that they will do the price match. Same result, they will either take the coupon or pm it but not both. So I called the 800 number at the store, the lady said I had to follow whatever the store manager said. Either the coupon or pm. So I gave up and I bought it for $28.97 + tax. I never have that kind of luck. I did try the pm on iron man 2 target exclusive at few target stores. No luck. Now this incident. I just feel bad.:(

Manzana 10-12-10 10:30 PM

Best Deny or Worst Buy (as I like to call them) strikes again for me too. Like AlexOi, they said PM or mfg. coupon but not both. I asked for a supervisor and the same clueless guy I've dealt with before came out. I said how I've done it before in the past, and he reaffirmed one or the other. So I called the 800 number on my cell phone. I got an operator right away who transferred me who knows where. After waiting about 7 minutes, I got someone. I explained my situation and as soon as I finished talking, the rep just hung up on me. It had been a very long time since I called their 800 number before, but as I recall my prior experience was long hold times and getting hung up on. So I said "forget it" and left. No way I'm caving in to them EVER. They are hardnosed to me every time and I will be the same way back. My DVD set will suffice and come hell or high water I won't ever pay more for this BD set than $28.97 - $5 coupon. I make notes on it.

And of course the Rolling Stones DVDs had their tags fixed and there were no. As I walk out empty-handed the security guys says "thanks for shopping at Best Buy" and I felt like saying "I'm leaving empty-handed (as usual) and it's never a pleasant experience here", but I kept quiet.

So, exactly what I expected to happen happened, and next time there's another PM + coupon deal people talk about, I'll try to remind myself not to waste my time with Best Deny/Worst Buy.

AmityBoatTours, thanks for posting that receipt. I went there before I saw your post, but I'm 99% sure that I could shown them that or God could've told them they'd better do it, and they still would've denied me. I have experience with this supervisor. He has a power trip and enjoys denying people.

AmityBoatTours 10-12-10 11:54 PM

Sorry to hear that both of you still werent able to get them to match, Usually the rep on the phone will call over and tell them are suppose to take both when i have to resort to calling them up.
well its that particular bestbuys loss then. You could also try walmart, some people have reported it being 29.99 there and they will take the coupon.

AlexOi 10-12-10 11:59 PM

Someone posted the receipt for the pm of the iron man 2 target exclusive. I printed it out and took it the customer service. The CS rep said to me "I don't know what they are doing but I can't pm on a target exclusive'". So I bet this bestbuy receipt won't help me either. I just don't have that luck.

AmityBoatTours 10-13-10 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by AlexOi (Post 10427325)
Someone posted the receipt for the pm of the iron man 2 target exclusive. I printed it out and took it the customer service. The CS rep said to me "I don't know what they are doing but I can't pm on a target exclusive'". So I bet this bestbuy receipt won't help me either. I just don't have that luck.

Just trying to help, so you could have something else to go in there with and show them. Since you didnt seem have luck any other way.
I dont know what to tell ya, the times they gave me a headache about it, i called up and they said yes and then called the store. i havent had any issues price matching and using a coupon lately cause the store management hasnt changed in a while, and neither has anyone else who ive seen come in with coupons and a price match. really not sure why your bestbuy store doesnt understand the concept that they get reimbursed the amount of the coupon, the fact that they ring it up like cash should be a big clue to them about that.

And this isnt even one of the disney 10 dollar off coupons, its a mesely little 5 dollar coupon.

I have a feeling that your store is just applying the same reasoning for not allowing a price match as if you were trying to use a reward zone coupon or certificate and a price match. Which with those it makes since they dont allow both. And for whatever reason you werent able to get help via 1-800 (which is very strange considering 1-800 bestbuy is usually very helpful)

iNCREDiPiNOY 10-13-10 04:12 AM

robocop trilogy for $24 sound tempting!

AlexOi 10-13-10 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 10427447)
Just trying to help, so you could have something else to go in there with and show them. Since you didnt seem have luck any other way.
I dont know what to tell ya, the times they gave me a headache about it, i called up and they said yes and then called the store. i havent had any issues price matching and using a coupon lately cause the store management hasnt changed in a while, and neither has anyone else who ive seen come in with coupons and a price match. really not sure why your bestbuy store doesnt understand the concept that they get reimbursed the amount of the coupon, the fact that they ring it up like cash should be a big clue to them about that.

And this isnt even one of the disney 10 dollar off coupons, its a mesely little 5 dollar coupon.

I have a feeling that your store is just applying the same reasoning for not allowing a price match as if you were trying to use a reward zone coupon or certificate and a price match. Which with those it makes since they dont allow both. And for whatever reason you werent able to get help via 1-800 (which is very strange considering 1-800 bestbuy is usually very helpful)

The thing made me upset was I called the 800 number at the store and the lady told me the same thing. Either pm or coupon but not both. Well this wasn't the first time happened to me. When there was Target special for buying Monter Inc and another blu ray. I forgot which one and there was a $10 off coupon for each blu ray. I took the ad to a bestbuy(this is a different store) and the cs told me the same thing that they couldn't take the coupons when price matching with a competitive store.

Manzana 10-14-10 09:05 AM

Walmart and Target in my area don't carry the Robocop Trilogy BD. Since (as we've already discussed) Fry's won't take the coupon and Best Buy won't take the coupon and pricematch (for me and AlexOi at least), I'll be waiting for a <=$24 deal from Amazon. It does surprise me that some people have Walmarts that carry this and mine doesn't, but I think my Walmart is an "extra-lame" one for many reasons I won't go into (again). But then most of the store chains in my area are "lame" for various reasons. No wonder I prefer Amazon (when they have deals).

AlexOi 10-18-10 01:17 AM

Now Amazon is selling it for $28.99. If you don't have to pay tax buying from Amazon, then the price is pretty close to final price after the coupon.

Peep 10-19-10 01:34 PM

I think that Best Buy now has it for $29.99.

iNCREDiPiNOY 10-19-10 05:31 PM

damn you beat me to it, cuz i was about post this.