Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Another DD BOGO sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Another DD BOGO sale

*insert obligatory "Maybe they should ship all of the orders from prior BOGOs before offering a new one" post*
Old 10-07-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went for 2 copies of Labyrinth, and 1 copy of Dark Crystal and Life of Brian.
Old 10-07-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fantastic. I finally got some of my old old wishlist items purchased: Ghost of Mars (wasn't on my wishlist, but I'll pay $5 for a John Carpenter commentary), Labyrinth, Step Brothers, District 9, The Devil's Own, First Knight, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, The Dark Crystal, Moon, and Zombieland.

Old 10-07-10, 06:44 PM
Banned

Well, I hate DD's service, but I couldn't pass up those prices. I ordered 6 titles for $45, but I paid the $7 for real shipping. 6 BDs for $52 is good enough for me.

Ghosts of Mars
Zombieland
Starship Troopers 3
7 Seconds
Stealth
Talladega Nights
Old 10-07-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some of you guys make it seem that the only people are ordering from DD come from this site. OMG they are out of stock.. Yes it sucks.. but if the prices are good, I don't see an issue with waiting.
Old 10-07-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Some of you guys make it seem that the only people are ordering from DD come from this site. OMG they are out of stock.. Yes it sucks.. but if the prices are good, I don't see an issue with waiting.
Yeah, ultimately that's my philosophy. From a seller point of view it makes sense not to overstock, and simply back-order what you need. Still, waiting a month or more is kind of ridiculous.
Old 10-07-10, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
There's waiting and then there's waiting. IMO, waiting a couple of weeks is fine. A couple of months is another story.
Old 10-07-10, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
There's waiting and then there's waiting. IMO, waiting a couple of weeks is fine. A couple of months is another story.
I agree.... but that last sale was very popular here. And I can't imagine how many more forums got wind of it, and the ordering issue.

The prices were good, I can wait.
Old 10-07-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Just ordered a couple movies. Nothing else really appealed to me or I already own it.
Old 10-07-10, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ghosts Of Mars, Dr. Strangelove, Starman, and Universal Soldier: Regeneration, for $30.31 shipped.
Old 10-07-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

It's not really a BOGO sale. It's more a buy two; get 50% of your order sale. I like that better so I don't have to mix and match titles to maximize the deal.

On two orders, I picked up

BB season 1 & 2
Last Action hero
Roxanne
The Runaways
Dr. Strangelove

Only missing 3 Blus from the last big order of 18 so I'm ok with waiting.
Old 10-07-10, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It's not really a BOGO sale. It's more a buy two; get 50% of your order sale. I like that better so I don't have to mix and match titles to maximize the deal.
You know. I do have to applaud DD for coming up with that one. I wish more places would do it that way.

On the flip side, I think anyone that waits more than a month for DD to even ship their order should seriously consider whether they actually needed the item or not. Quit rewarding DD for their shitty service, and just cancel the order.
Old 10-07-10, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Viper187
You know. I do have to applaud DD for coming up with that one. I wish more places would do it that way.
I do admit that was smart. *sigh*, I spent a little bit on this one, but a lot less than I spent on the previous sale. I ordered the following:

Zombieland (price point was $10 and it hit it), Secret Window, Pink Panther(remake) (replacing dvds), and Roxanne ($5 is too little to pass up). $27 and some change through Paypal. Three were listed in stock and Zombieland was on backorder (expected), so I'm hoping at least those three go quickly.

We'll see what happens. Meanwhile, I'll cry myself to sleep.
Old 10-07-10, 10:08 PM

Wow, I'd rather have a delay than see their sales turn out to be one of those things you have to jump on in the first 5 minutes of it going live or it's dead and gone. Can you imagine how short the sales would be if they didn't take new orders once they were out of stock? To me a "supplies are limited" sale would be much worse.
Old 10-07-10, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Viper187

On the flip side, I think anyone that waits more than a month for DD to even ship their order should seriously consider whether they actually needed the item or not. Quit rewarding DD for their shitty service, and just cancel the order.
I wait for plenty of things and it doesn't diminish my appreciation of them at all. It's one aspect of bargain hunting.
Old 10-07-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How come Go has never been a part of any sales? Very frustrating.
Old 10-07-10, 11:17 PM

Order today and receive them in early 2011!
Old 10-08-10, 12:56 AM

There is site down now. Getting a white screen with the "No Servers available" message. Nice, DD.
Old 10-08-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am still waiting for my only 2 that I ordered from the last go around. What bs this company has turned to. Too bad Amazon does not have these kind of deals.
Old 10-08-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
How come Go has never been a part of any sales? Very frustrating.
I know what you mean. We just have to keep our patience. It will go on sale at some point.
Old 10-08-10, 10:05 AM

I guess both Breaking Bad seasons on BD for $35.xx is a good deal, but I'm going to pass because (unlike Mad Men) I haven't heard anyone I know rave about it, so I'm going to wait for cheaper before doing a blind buy on Breaking Bad. Anyway, my guess the reason DD's web site is having problems is because of people on Slickdeals ordering Breaking Bad. They'll probably be backordered thousands of copies and take how many months or years to fulfill, but since I'm not ordering maybe they'll fulfill those faster.

When someone earlier speculated that DD is on its last legs and just trying to pump up sales figures for a buyer, I actually started to wonder if that was true because I have not received or got a shipping notice on any of my numerous orders some which are about 7 weeks old. Like others have said, you'd think if they intended to fulfill them that they would start doing so en masse by now. I do have to wonder if these are all phantom sales where they never intend to fulfill them. As a result, instead of wasting a lot of time going through their list, I ordered the 4 titles I already knew which jumped out at me and will leave it at that. I almost ordered District 9 on the list, but I didn't for 2 reasons: the 50% off wouldn't "take" on it and I read a review saying that a lot of the movie is filmed in shakycam a la Cloverfield. I'm not going to spend $10 for a movie that'll make me nauseous. I only made it 1 hour into Cloverfield before I had to stop it for fear of barfing.

If any of my older titles start to ship and if this sale is still on, then I might consider placing another order. Of course that assumes the BLUBOGO code can be used again on my account. Anyone know?
Old 10-08-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
I guess both Breaking Bad seasons on BD for $35.xx is a good deal, but I'm going to pass because (unlike Mad Men) I haven't heard anyone I know rave about it,
I just finished Season One of Mad Men and have already seen Breaking Bad Season One and half of Season Two and in my opinion Mad Men isn't close to being as good as Breaking Bad. Maybe Mad Men gets better in Seasons 2 and 3 but Season One had some mediocre acting, subpar writing and character development etc. There were some fine moments but overall it was a disappointment. The acting and writing in Breaking Bad was much better from the first scene. I would say don't hesitate at this price if you don't mind the issues that come from buying from DD.
Old 10-08-10, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by jwstl
I just finished Season One of Mad Men and have already seen Breaking Bad Season One and half of Season Two and in my opinion Mad Men isn't close to being as good as Breaking Bad. Maybe Mad Men gets better in Seasons 2 and 3 but Season One had some mediocre acting, subpar writing and character development etc. There were some fine moments but overall it was a disappointment. The acting and writing in Breaking Bad was much better from the first scene. I would say don't hesitate at this price if you don't mind the issues that come from buying from DD.
I've seen seasons 1 and 2 of each program. Breaking Bad is the superior show. That being said, I can't think of anything currently on the air that compares to Breaking Bad in quality.
Old 10-08-10, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by awil1026
I've seen seasons 1 and 2 of each program. Breaking Bad is the superior show. That being said, I can't think of anything currently on the air that compares to Breaking Bad in quality.
OK. I caved in. I figured they'll probably never send them or if they do it'll be months, so I'll have plenty of time to cancel if I change my mind. Since I did peek at the reviews (which were very positive from the perspective of good action, plot, and being interesting), they said there's a lot of profanity and nudity. Unfortunately I couldn't really find any details how much is "a lot". Are there full frontal gratuitous shots or is it just the occasional topless shot? Are the F words constant or just occasional? It's not like Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction where almost every sentence he utters has multiple F words?

If anyone remembers the Blade series, that had both nudity and F words, but they were kept infrequent and they didn't bother me. Hopefully Breaking Bad is not much worse than Blade in that regard. I also hope it's not filmed in shakycam style?
Old 10-08-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm shocked to say 3 of my 6 items have shipped already:
BLR : WALK HARD-DEWEY COX STORY (UR/2D)
BLR : CAN'T HARDLY WAIT (10TH AE)
BLR : GHOSTS OF MARS

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.