Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big horror sale @ Best Buy. Evil Dead, Frozen, The Mist.. $9.99 (more)

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Big horror sale @ Best Buy. Evil Dead, Frozen, The Mist.. $9.99 (more)

Old 10-06-10, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Big horror sale @ Best Buy. Evil Dead, Frozen, The Mist.. $9.99 (more)

Frozen's $9.99 at amazon, bro.
Old 10-06-10, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I picked up The Mist and Frozen. It seems like I might need to do a firmware update for Frozen, the trailers play but it never gets to the menu for the movie itself. Anyone else have this happen?
This movie took a little longer to load, but it did play with and without the audio commentary. I have never done a firmware update. I guess it just depends on the player and the particular software its' running.
Old 10-06-10, 01:02 PM

Frozen did the same to me—it, er, froze—on my Samsung BDP-3600. Played just fine on my PS3 and Vaio laptop though. I think it has something to do with the trailers playing in SD, like the Samsung player has difficulty switching resolutions or something.
Old 10-06-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
Also keep an eye out for SAW VI - only the ones with a sticker on the front include the SAW I blu-ray.
Thanks for the reminder. The BB I was at yesterday was out of Saw VI. I should check another one today.
Old 10-06-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Caved in, bought Frozen and Evil Dead (1-Disc) on my way home from classes.

Also random note, I love these prices but seriously fuck Eco-Cases and Shrink-Wrap that sticks to the spine.
Old 10-06-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore

Also random note, I love these prices but seriously fuck Eco-Cases and Shrink-Wrap that sticks to the spine.
Shrink wrap to the spine really fucking pisses me off!
Old 10-06-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore

I just finished up Frozen and really enjoyed it. Its not perfect but its certainly effective.

And I could not agree more with you on your random note
Old 10-06-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
This movie took a little longer to load, but it did play with and without the audio commentary. I have never done a firmware update. I guess it just depends on the player and the particular software its' running.
Originally Posted by RJ MacReady
Frozen did the same to me—it, er, froze—on my Samsung BDP-3600. Played just fine on my PS3 and Vaio laptop though. I think it has something to do with the trailers playing in SD, like the Samsung player has difficulty switching resolutions or something.
After getting fed up with it I popped in The Mist and ran a couple of errands. Came back and tried Frozen again and after a bit of a wait it did load and play just fine. I've also checked out a couple of the features and they seem to be fine. I think its just this player in general (LG BD270) that is a piece of crap and very very irritable. I've had problems with other discs that other players didn't.
Old 10-06-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked up "The Mist" and "Evil Dead." The latter was only the 1-disc version, so I stopped by my local Meijer store today and they had 3 copies of the 2-disc version. I plan on returning my 1-disc version to Meijer, since they have the same UPC.
Old 10-06-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget to use the rewards zone coupon as well for 10% off. I picked up Daybreakers, Sunshine, Evil Dead, The Mist, and the Toy Story 3 Steelbook reserve (last copy)
Old 10-06-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Don't forget to use the rewards zone coupon as well for 10% off. I picked up Daybreakers, Sunshine, Evil Dead, The Mist, and the Toy Story 3 Steelbook reserve (last copy)
I personally think using the 10 percent coupon on the IRON PACK reserve, is not worth it, because Since you are paying 75 cents less on the pre order, it just means the remaining balance is .75cents more
SO you really arent getting a discount in the end.
Old 10-06-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I orderd frozen from amazon since they matched the bestbuy price of 9.99 but its out of stock till the 19th. still though Iam glad i held off on picking it up for 16.99 last week.

we screened this last year as part of Screamfest 2009 and then opened it this year for a 2 week engagement, and its a enjoyable movie.
Old 10-06-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
I picked up "The Mist" and "Evil Dead." The latter was only the 1-disc version, so I stopped by my local Meijer store today and they had 3 copies of the 2-disc version. I plan on returning my 1-disc version to Meijer, since they have the same UPC.
I checked and the 2-disc set has a slightly different UPC. You might want to double check before you try this. I decided against this as the dvd isn't worth the hassle and I have the Book of the Dead edition anyways.
Old 10-06-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up Frozen, Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness from Best Buy with some gift cards. Will aim for Amazon price matches otherwise.
Old 10-07-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, I blind bought Frozen, but have not opened it yet. Looked at the reviews here (highly recommended for the BD and skip it for the theatrical release). What is the general consensus amongst all of you and especially any of you horror/suspense fanatics?
Old 10-07-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by sotra
So, I blind bought Frozen, but have not opened it yet. Looked at the reviews here (highly recommended for the BD and skip it for the theatrical release). What is the general consensus amongst all of you and especially any of you horror/suspense fanatics?
I also blind bought it...I would have given it 3 out of 5 and a "Recommended" rating...to me in fell in between those reviews. Could have been better, but overall it's effective...and a million times better than Green's "Hatchet" (which I hated)
Old 10-07-10, 11:01 PM

ordered EVIL DEAD, and SAW VI

when i arrived for instore pickup, they had a SAW VI dvd ready instead of Blu-ray, i didnt even have to say anything.

the lady saw i had ordered a blu-ray instead of DVD, she went the blu-rays and brought one back over. when i got to my car i noticed she had pulled the SAW VI with the Extra SAW 1 Blu-ray included.

good deal for $9.99
Old 10-08-10, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought GHOST 2.0. It wasn't 9.99. It actually rang up at 16.99 and they had to adjust it to the sticker price of 14.99.

Couldn't insist on 9.99 since there was no sale tag.
Old 10-08-10, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Bought GHOST 2.0. It wasn't 9.99. It actually rang up at 16.99 and they had to adjust it to the sticker price of 14.99.

If you decide to go back, I'd definitely have them match the price - it's $9.99 only (SKU 9543746) and they're supposed to match the online prices for all items (they're actually supposed to all be the same) - the exceptions are that they sometimes won't match items that say "Online Only" (you would need to do instore pickup for those)
Old 10-08-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle

FYE has had this title for $9.99 for some time now. If you're a BSP member, you can get it for $8.99 and if they put out a $3 off coupon, then just $5.99. BJ's also has this for $9.99. I personally wouldn't pay $14.99 for this title.
Old 10-08-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up Evil Dead and Saw VI today. No extra disc in either .
Old 10-08-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked it a lot as I've posted in several other places here. The general knock on it are people saying things like "that can never happen", but that mentality can be said of pretty much every horror movie ever made. If you can roll with the premise its a good solid horror film. Certainly worth a $9.99 purchase.
Old 10-08-10, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

especially when you get it from Amazon for $9.99 and no tax!
Old 10-09-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone having any luck ordering Evil Dead from elsewhere and getting the bonus disc? I ordered from Walmart.com thinking it would have it, but I won't know until I do in-store pickup.
Old 10-09-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I blind bought Frozen too at Best Buy (then Amazon lowered their price but I figured it wasn't worth hassle to order from them and return the Best Buy one to save less than a buck in tax). I got it because of all the hype as well, and I watched it last night. As soon as it was over I said "it was OK, but not worth $10... maybe $5". I should've waited for it in a future clearance sale. As usual, I'll never understand all the hype over a movie that is just OK. Perhaps it's because there's so much garbage out there that people get excited by something that's OK. It was well done and I only have a couple nitpicks about things that happened in the plot I didn't necessarily think would happen, but I don't know how to make a spoiler button, so I won't say them. A family member said "it didn't have enough action". I said I didn't expect it to given the premise. I don't recall if anyone has compared it to Open Water, but it had roughly the same feel.

So the official Manzana opinion is: if the Frozen BD had cost me $5 or $7 I'd be satisfied, but at $10 + tax I feel like I overpaid. I'll also throw in that I blind bought Trick 'r Treat for $7.99 + tax from Best Buy, and in the end I feel like Trick 'r Treat was the better purchase (being cheaper, well done, and a bit more action).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.