Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Media Prices (August 29 - September 4, 2010)

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Media Prices (August 29 - September 4, 2010)

Old 08-29-10, 09:38 AM

Re: Best Buy Media Prices (August 29 - September 4, 2010)

best buy stores still have to sell them since they are in sundays ad though
Old 08-29-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by therock69 View Post
best buy stores still have to sell them since they are in sundays ad though
However, like mzupeman2 posted, they also have a Dates Subject to Change disclaimer as well.
Old 08-29-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Right, and in any respect, I've been in Best Buy at times where they have little card signs near shelving in the Blu-ray section saying 'there was an ad in Sundays paper'. That's all they have to do. I'm merely going on the fact that it might still be on the shelf, and if it IS on the shelf, I'll just point to the ad and say that the prices should be different than what they're charing me (if as of this moment they're still charging 17.99).
Old 08-29-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

none at my local northern va store. I truly hate Best Buy.
Old 08-29-10, 11:04 AM

My Best Buy had the Lionsgate titles but they were not on display. I had to ask for them. Anchorman was not on display either and I did not ask if they had it (refuse to pay $20 for a catalog title, exclusive or not).
Old 08-29-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My BB had an endcap for "exclusive" releases that had Anchorman (which comes in a pretty nice packaging), and all the LG releases. The cashier had to manually enter the prices for Hard Candy and 2001 Maniacs, as they werent in the system.

$28 for Anchorman, hard Candy and 2001 Maniacs is good for me (I had a $10 RZ GC to use).
Old 08-29-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My local BB still had them all out on the shelf (as they were for at least the last week), and they even had the sale tags in front of them on the shelf itself.

However, they could not sell them to me. Somebody had already been in before me and split the manager a new one apparently for the same issue, so I didn't give them too hard a time about it... the add after all DOES say 'date subject to change'. Anyways, they did offer to hold a copy of the titles I wanted, and put my name on a piece of paper with them that said 'Hold for Tuesday'.

It's an inconveniance perhaps, but for me, I have to go back on Tuesday for Evil Dead anyway.
Old 08-29-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2 View Post
My local BB still had them all out on the shelf (as they were for at least the last week), and they even had the sale tags in front of them on the shelf itself.

However, they could not sell them to me. Somebody had already been in before me and split the manager a new one apparently for the same issue, so I didn't give them too hard a time about it... the add after all DOES say 'date subject to change'. Anyways, they did offer to hold a copy of the titles I wanted, and put my name on a piece of paper with them that said 'Hold for Tuesday'.

It's an inconveniance perhaps, but for me, I have to go back on Tuesday for Evil Dead anyway.

This is what i was afraid of when i first posted last night i noticed the date change.
well i am just hopeing if i reason with them politely they will either a go ahead and let me get them or B they will hold the ones i want as well.
I have no problem going back tuesday if i know for sure they will not be out for anyone at my store till tuesday. (its a pain but i can be there at open again if i need to be.) i just dont want to be told no they arent availble today but then find out they get put out latter today or tommorow and then sold out before tuesday.
Old 08-29-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Half of them were out at my BB, the other half they got from the back and said they only got 2 of each of most of them. They also had to manually enter the SKU for the ones that said 8/31 as the release date online as they wouldnt scan.
Old 08-29-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The only people that are going to be buying them today, are the ones that seem to make an argument a manager is going to say, 'hrm, okay then' to... or perhaps to a cashier that knows enough to actually type in the sku number when these titles won't scan in via a barcode (which right now, they don't). The stores that have already said 'we can't sell these' or don't have these on the shelf as of open today, will not be putting them out before Tuesday. Apparently, this is a 'new release date' issue, which is why the dates were changed from today, to Tuesday. New releases are supposed to be Tuesday, and exclusive title or not, Tuesday is supposedly BB's exclusive release date for these titles. I doubt customer service at BB will send another email out saying, 'okay, this is causing too many problems, let's put them back out now'.
Old 08-29-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This really wouldnt be a major concern if bestbuy.com still let you click the instore pickup option for tuesday the 31st.

I am wondering if someone from lionsgate found out some bestbuys have been selling them a few days early and bestbuy had to push back the official date a few days.
Old 08-29-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only people that are going to be buying them today, are the ones that seem to make an argument a manager is going to say, 'hrm, okay then' to... or perhaps to a cashier that knows enough to actually type in the sku number when these titles won't scan in via a barcode (which right now, they don't). The stores that have already said 'we can't sell these' or don't have these on the shelf as of open today, will not be putting them out before Tuesday. Apparently, this is a 'new release date' issue, which is why the dates were changed from today, to Tuesday. New releases are supposed to be Tuesday, and exclusive title or not, Tuesday is supposedly BB's exclusive release date for these titles. I doubt customer service at BB will send another email out saying, 'okay, this is causing too many problems, let's put them back out now'.
If reasoning with the manager based on the fact that untill 10pm pacific time last night online it said availble today and that ad says availble today doesnt work, then as long as the manager guarentees me they wont be putting them out till tuesday morning i will be ok, but its not right to find out returning tuesday that after being told today by them they can not have them out then place them out latter today or tommorow, and they are then all sold out.

I am here at bestbuy now, first person so we will see in about 30 mins. no one else here though.
Old 08-29-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With all this confusion, I'm not even going to bother until Tuesday. It's 90 degrees here, and I have no interest in driving in Sunday traffic on a fruitless search.
Old 08-29-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually no. Release dates can be any day. Tuesday is just the day they (studios) all do it since it's typically the slowest day in retail and the best to get people into stores (unwritten rule...but these are catalog which is hardly a big deal). Release dates can, and have been, other days (Friday, Monday, Sunday, Wednesday). The computers likely have not updated with the correct release date which is causing the problem. Won't be the first time Best Buy has screwed up (either computer error or not confirming with Lionsgate they could release early). Whatever. I just ordered from BestBuy.com. Not worth the hassle.

And remember this from earlier in the week?

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours View Post
Um whats to clarify its plasterd 9.99 right over hard candy.

All of the october 5 th lionsgate titles are comming as bestbuy exclusives this sunday even those like secratarty, high tension, and a few others that arent listed in the ad. several best buy employees on various sites before the ad scan was posted had also said ALL of the lionsgate exclusive lionsgate titles were going to be on sale for under 10.00
Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
Ads have never been wrong before.
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Yeah, I remember watching Blades of Glory on Blu-ray back in August 2007...
Old 08-29-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was only interested in Anchorman, which was not out. One of the employees went to the warehouse and got it for me, and it rang up. Had to throw in a bag of M&M's so I could use all my reward zone coupons. Out the door for $1.29
Old 08-29-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All titles were on display at my local BB, right in the front, about six copies per title. The rack was still being labeled with prices when I started going through them and I asked the girl doing the labeling if they were really on sale today. She said they sure were. Got Wonderland, High Tension (a fucking triple-dip for me), and Open Water 1&2 in the $7.99 group; and Secretary, The Blair Witch Project, Bad Lieutenant, and Hard Candy in the $9.99s. Passed on 2001 Maniacs so that I could pick up the $7.99 Marvel animated titles for the kids. The exclusives didn't scan though ("item not found") so the cashier entered the SKUs manually. I had my purchase separated into $7.99 and $9.99 piles and let her know which ones might not scan. Back in the car and gone by 10:08.
Old 08-29-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
...but these are catalog which is hardly a big deal
"I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal".....

Was at my BB this morning right after opening at 11am....there was an endcap with all of the exclusives on it, and multiple shoppers there just to pick them up apparently....
Old 08-29-10, 12:58 PM

Burlington MA - All the Lionsgate titles on an endcap. Others, like Scorsese, The Score, not there.

Bought Blair Witch & High Tension. Register beeped and the cashier looked flummoxed, but the other guy gave him a piece of paper where someone had already written down the manual code for him to type in. It worked.

Then the register beeped again for High Tension. I guess no-one had bought this one yet, as he had to go off to the display to get the code, which he did.

Sounds like in general folks who go looking (at least for the Lionsgate titles) should be happy.
Old 08-29-10, 01:01 PM

Mine had them. I picked up:

Blair Witch
Hard Candy
Wonderland
High Tension
Old 08-29-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Typical BB CF....some stores have 'em out, no problem; others are keeping them in the back unless you ask; still others won't sell them at all 'til Tuesday. All this on top of a flier ad with a disclaimer!
Old 08-29-10, 01:17 PM

The store I went to had all the titles on the shelf with the sale price tags.

Picked up:

3:10 to Yuma $7.99
Open Water 1 & 2 $7.99
2001 Maniacs $7.99
High Tension $7.99
Wonderland $7.99
Hard Candy $9.99

Each title had about 6 to 7 copies each. Only 3:10 to Yuma scanned properly. All the other titles beeped when the clerk scanned then. She just typed in the code on each BD and up came the correct title and sale price. Out the door in about 5 minutes.

My guess is that corporate took the codes out of the system so they wouldn't be sold until Tuesday 8/31, but I guess not all stores read their memos??? and they just put them out for sale, while other stores pulled the BDs off the shelf until Tuesday. This is YMMV....
Old 08-29-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can anyone confirm if the special features that were on the DVDs are included on these BD exclusives. Particularly interested if they were on Hard Candy, Open Water 2pk and Wonderland (did it have the John Holmes doc?). I wasn't sure if I was going to pick these up, but if the total for these 3 is $25.97 plus tax and they come with at least some extra material then I'm in.
Old 08-29-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is that the original Yuma? Must be since I already have the Russell Crowe remake.
Old 08-29-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Went to my BB since the GF wanted breakfast...

had to ask for the Lionsgate titles since the display was 'ready' but no titles out on the shelf. Grabbed the 5 I wanted and they didn't scan (had to manually input them). No Anchorman and no other exclusives (big sets etc.)
Old 08-29-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sotra View Post
Can anyone confirm if the special features that were on the DVDs are included on these BD exclusives. Particularly interested if they were on Hard Candy, Open Water 2pk and Wonderland (did it have the John Holmes doc?). I wasn't sure if I was going to pick these up, but if the total for these 3 is $25.97 plus tax and they come with at least some extra material then I'm in.
As far as I can tell, Hard Candy does. Wonderland does not come with the 1 hour doc

Splurged and bought like 6 movies total. Most I've purchased in like 2 months. These budget prices really help (and ordering more from BB.com since they didn't have a few of the cheap titles I wanted)

Last edited by Gizmo; 08-29-10 at 01:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.