Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

DeepDiscount 25% off - List your Blu-ray deal finds here.

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

DeepDiscount 25% off - List your Blu-ray deal finds here.

Old 06-11-10, 03:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: DeepDiscount 25% off - List your Blu-ray deal finds here.

My first order (but last one to ship) finally shipped today.

Quantity Item # Description Price
-------- ------------ ---------------------------------------- ----------
1 HBD012011 BLR : TRUE BLOOD-2ND SEASON $ 29.92
Old 06-11-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lucky. I talked with some chick on the phone and she told me the price after discount would be $43.
Old 06-11-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PerryD
the deals aren't really crazy good anymore with this sale, and I don't even get the satisfaction anymore of "applying" the coupon to watch the price drop, but here is the order I just placed.
I think in the early days of DVD, it was a new hobby (for many of us) and the regular prices on most stuff was not so dirt cheap. Today, with Target, Big Lots, Amazon Marketplace, we've all been accustomed to getting stuff at a fraction of what we used to pay. I remember paying 30 for Buffy S3 and around 60 for Twilight Zone collection 1. I got Buffy Chosen for 70 and TZ Def. Collection for around 55.

It was fun when this sale started to see all th 2-5K dollar orders. I don't think I've seen an order above 5-600 dollars. It's still a good place for rare stuff that doesn't go on sale much, but for anything remotely mainstream, their prices aren't a steal.
Old 06-11-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Put in a small order:

A Serious Man- (Blu-ray) $20.96
Caddyshack- (Blu-ray) $14.90
Craig Ferguson: A Wee Bit O'Revolution- (DVD) $7.64

All three are back-ordered which is fine because I'm not in a huge rush for any of them.

Edit: Apparently the Caddyshack Blu-ray and the Craig Ferguson DVD aren't on back-order because I logged in a while ago and the status of those two items is listed as shipped. Kinda weird they were just listed that way when I ordered them last night but whatever.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-12-10 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-13-10, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
It depends on how long you can do it.

More than likely you will get them, but it may take anywhere from a couple of weeks to upwards of a month. Patience for low prices is always mandatory at DD.
I'm very happy to report that, as of yesterday, I've received shipping notices on all 4 ("Megafault", "Doctor Who The Complete Specials", "Flash Gordon", and "Trick R Treat").
Old 06-13-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I think in the early days of DVD, it was a new hobby (for many of us) and the regular prices on most stuff was not so dirt cheap. Today, with Target, Big Lots, Amazon Marketplace, we've all been accustomed to getting stuff at a fraction of what we used to pay. ...

It was fun when this sale started to see all th 2-5K dollar orders. I don't think I've seen an order above 5-600 dollars. It's still a good place for rare stuff that doesn't go on sale much, but for anything remotely mainstream, their prices aren't a steal.
Here's how I remember it-

Early on, the B&Ms that stocked a decent selection of DVDs were Borders, Media Play, Circuit City, and Best Buy. We didn't get Barnes & Noble stocking DVDs here until about 2003 or so.

Borders for the longest time only offered DVDs at full MSRP.
Media Plays normal sticker price was 10% off MSRP
Best Buy was close to MP's prices, but may have been a fraction better.
Circuit City was close to full MSRP IIRC.
B&N was and remains full MSRP (with coupons and member discounts available).

When DD first came along, they had hands down the best selection (just about any title that was in print basically) and the prices were day in and day out the lowest you could find- probably starting at least 20% off MSRP. When a bare bones Paramount catalog title has an MSRP of $25- that extra $2.50 off seems like quite a bargain.

However, when these sales started, the discounts were now 40-45% off MSRP.
Nobody, I repeat, NOBODY offered discounts anywhere close to that. For most retailers, that yields about a gross profit of pennies on the dollar. That Paramount title that was $22.50 (plus Tax) at Media Play, could now be had for $15 shipped. That made a HUGE difference to people in the early stages of building a collection.
Soon we started seeing loss leaders every once in a while from the big chains for a big new release, but that was few and far between and the discounts were still only at that 40-45%.
It is easy to understand why these sales were so huge for so long.
-MSRPs were higher
-B&M selection was limited and more expensive
-People were just starting to build collections

The industry is in decline now. DVDs are beginning a long slow march to obsolescence. Quite a bit of stuff has gone out of print. Most , if not all, of the marquee catalog titles have been released- many in multiple incarnations. It's not a big surprise to see interest in the sales dropping off precipitously. Even if other retailers hadn't stepped up and started vigorously competing with DD as a primary go to source, interest would still be on the wane.

The only disappointment I have in this sale this year is that it's not in July again. There are a few good sets coming out in July that would have been nice to watch over the summer, but now I'll have to push off until November.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 06-13-10 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 03:30 AM

Damn Them !!!

Last night I started to make my second order but something came up and I put it off until today. "Life - the David Attenborough version was $36.67 and now is $48.86. It is so popular and on back order so they thought with supply and depend they could ream us. Unless it goes back down to the old price I not only will not buy it but they won't get my money on the other 2 or 3 things I was going to order too.
Old 06-15-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GMLSKIS
Damn Them !!!

Last night I started to make my second order but something came up and I put it off until today. "Life - the David Attenborough version was $36.67 and now is $48.86. It is so popular and on back order so they thought with supply and depend they could ream us. Unless it goes back down to the old price I not only will not buy it but they won't get my money on the other 2 or 3 things I was going to order too.
I just KNEW DD would pull something like that. From the moment I ordered Life BD at B&N for $31.xx, I was predicting that B&N would cancel my order and DD would jack up the price on this set so I couldn't get it from either. It turns out I was half wrong... I finally got the shipping notice from B&N, so I didn't order from DD. I sure hope my Life BD arrives from B&N because now it would be too expensive from DD. I hate to say it, but DD is pretty predictable... like you said if there is a title that is too popular and is backordered, at some point they always seem to jack up the price. They did it on Terminator Salvation too. I don't know if it's due to greed and an employee doing it manually or if they have inventory software that does it automatically at some criteria, or if they legitimately had to pay $12+ more for the next batch. Somehow I doubt their distributor costs on a new release vary as wildly as do online prices vary to consumers. Good for you for not caving in and paying more. Unfortunately now you must wait for another deal.

My DD order total for this sale: $0.
Old 06-15-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GMLSKIS
Damn Them !!!

Originally Posted by Manzana
I just KNEW DD would pull something like that. From the moment I ordered Life BD at B&N for $31.xx, I was predicting that B&N would cancel my order and DD would jack up the price on this set so I couldn't get it from either. It turns out I was half wrong... I finally got the shipping notice from B&N, so I didn't order from DD. I sure hope my Life BD arrives from B&N because now it would be too expensive from DD. I hate to say it, but DD is pretty predictable... like you said if there is a title that is too popular and is backordered, at some point they always seem to jack up the price. They did it on Terminator Salvation too. I don't know if it's due to greed and an employee doing it manually or if they have inventory software that does it automatically at some criteria, or if they legitimately had to pay $12+ more for the next batch. Somehow I doubt their distributor costs on a new release vary as wildly as do online prices vary to consumers. Good for you for not caving in and paying more. Unfortunately now you must wait for another deal.

Once again, pathetic whining from people who snoozed and losed.

Perhaps the funniest (saddest?) part was "with supply and demand[corrected] they thought they could ream us." And here we all thought DeepDiscount was your BFF. How will you ever stomach such a betrayal?

And then "greed." And "legitimately." You guys make me laugh (sick?).

Props to both of you for sticking it to the man. Keep up the good fight.

Old 06-15-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Here's how I remember it-

Early on, the B&Ms that stocked a decent selection of DVDs were Borders, Media Play, Circuit City, and Best Buy. We didn't get Barnes & Noble stocking DVDs here until about 2003 or so.

Borders for the longest time only offered DVDs at full MSRP.
Media Plays normal sticker price was 10% off MSRP
Best Buy was close to MP's prices, but may have been a fraction better.
Circuit City was close to full MSRP IIRC.
B&N was and remains full MSRP (with coupons and member discounts available).

When DD first came along, they had hands down the best selection (just about any title that was in print basically) and the prices were day in and day out the lowest you could find- probably starting at least 20% off MSRP. When a bare bones Paramount catalog title has an MSRP of $25- that extra $2.50 off seems like quite a bargain.

However, when these sales started, the discounts were now 40-45% off MSRP.
Nobody, I repeat, NOBODY offered discounts anywhere close to that. For most retailers, that yields about a gross profit of pennies on the dollar. That Paramount title that was $22.50 (plus Tax) at Media Play, could now be had for $15 shipped. That made a HUGE difference to people in the early stages of building a collection.
Soon we started seeing loss leaders every once in a while from the big chains for a big new release, but that was few and far between and the discounts were still only at that 40-45%.
It is easy to understand why these sales were so huge for so long.
-MSRPs were higher
-B&M selection was limited and more expensive
-People were just starting to build collections

The industry is in decline now. DVDs are beginning a long slow march to obsolescence. Quite a bit of stuff has gone out of print. Most , if not all, of the marquee catalog titles have been released- many in multiple incarnations. It's not a big surprise to see interest in the sales dropping off precipitously. Even if other retailers hadn't stepped up and started vigorously competing with DD as a primary go to source, interest would still be on the wane.

The only disappointment I have in this sale this year is that it's not in July again. There are a few good sets coming out in July that would have been nice to watch over the summer, but now I'll have to push off until November.
Excellent summary. A big factor is the bolded part, IMO. There just aren't any more "Alien Quadrilogy" or "Back to the Future" uber-releases like there used to be when huge blockbuster titles were premiering on DVD. The halcyon days of new on DVD are now mostly just dribbles of new theatrical releases or far more obscure titles. With the recent release of African Queen my original full wish list of nearly a thousand movies from 10 years ago when I started collecting is pretty much complete, though granted a few titles are crappy releases (original Rollerball, The Abyss being non-anamorphic for example).

Other than a few TV series I'm waiting for (where are you Get a Life?) I just don't get that excited about many new releases. Combine that with the declining value of the DD sale and I am now placing $100 semi-annual orders versus the $500 -$1000 orders of a few years ago. I only see that changing if/when BD becomes cheap enough to warrant upgrading some select titles, but I think that is a few years off yet at least.
Old 06-15-10, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato

Perhaps the funniest (saddest?) part was "with supply and demand[corrected] they thought they could ream us." And here we all thought DeepDiscount was your BFF. How will you ever stomach such a betrayal?

I agree. This whining is really boring. If the damn thing is cheap when you see it, f-ing buy it! It isn't like you're spending more on shipping if you place multiple orders.
Old 06-15-10, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato

I can understand Mananza holding off because of his unique situation, but c'mon people. If the deal is there, JUMP ON IT. There's no reason to wait if you have the money and you should expect no sympathy for waiting. Most of you have been around long enough to know that these deals are often fleeting.
Old 06-15-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ordered Austin Powers Collection for $33.72 - $1.35 Bing cashback = $32.37
Old 06-15-10, 10:41 PM

I can understand Mananza holding off because of his unique situation, but c'mon people. If the deal is there, JUMP ON IT. There's no reason to wait if you have the money and you should expect no sympathy for waiting. Most of you have been around long enough to know that these deals are often fleeting.
Thanks, That'sAllFolks, for sticking up for me. I guess I like to complain (which some call whining) and I probably shouldn't, but my post was more of a "I knew DD would pull this" than whining, and Cheato is mistaken that I snoozed and lost out. My Life BD order from B&N is supposedly en route, and I got it about $5 cheaper than DD. Thankfully the B&N order worked out (assuming they send me the right version like they're supposed to).
Old 06-16-10, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Excellent summary. A big factor is the bolded part, IMO. There just aren't any more "Alien Quadrilogy" or "Back to the Future" uber-releases like there used to be when huge blockbuster titles were premiering on DVD. The halcyon days of new on DVD are now mostly just dribbles of new theatrical releases or far more obscure titles. With the recent release of African Queen my original full wish list of nearly a thousand movies from 10 years ago when I started collecting is pretty much complete, though granted a few titles are crappy releases (original Rollerball, The Abyss being non-anamorphic for example).

Other than a few TV series I'm waiting for (where are you Get a Life?) I just don't get that excited about many new releases. Combine that with the declining value of the DD sale and I am now placing $100 semi-annual orders versus the $500 -$1000 orders of a few years ago. I only see that changing if/when BD becomes cheap enough to warrant upgrading some select titles, but I think that is a few years off yet at least.
Yeah, I share your pain with those damn matted releases. I'm definitely hoping for both of those to go blu soon. You'd think Rollerball would happen this year. It's like the 35th anniversary, isn't it? Jaws going blu now would make sense too. Of course, these studios don't often do things that make sense anymore, like all the BDs with only 1 cut of movies that had multiple cuts on DVD.

I made the mistake of picking up a lot of fullscreen titles back in the day, so I have more to upgrade to blu than I'd like. However, I think I'm finally getting caught up on my DVD wanted list. I'll be waiting on xmas sales for most of the BDs and some TV shows. When I got my first DVD player in 2001, I had around 1200 VHS tapes. I've tossed a few hundred that weren't worth watching again, and I've been upgrading the rest all these years. It'll be 9 years in August, and I have about a dozen tapes left!
Old 06-16-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana

same here. LOL
Old 06-17-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Although not tagged as 25% off, Death Race 2000 is $16.71 pre-ordered. Link.
Shipped today.
Old 06-18-10, 12:08 AM
Suspended

Lol, with the history, anyone but me remember the 800.com uber deal?

Anyhow, just pulling one right now:

Doctor Who: The Complete Specials $36.20

Was looking for some Hayao Miyazaki stuff (Ponyo, etc.), but none of the good ones were on the sale, so Amazon whoops DDD in the pricing (and those DVDs are too expensive to begin with).
Old 06-18-10, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Councelor
Lol, with the history, anyone but me remember the 800.com uber deal?
Are you referring to the three DVDs for a penny each or something like that?
Old 06-18-10, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by jiggyblau
Are you referring to the three DVDs for a penny each or something like that?
It was 3 for $1. I remember the days of reel.com and the original bargain forums. I still have a few DVDs that I got using the 800.com deal. Batman, and Contact come to mind. Though I just replaced Contact with the BR thanks the the DD 25% deal!

BBC015716 BLR : LIFE (NARRATED BY DAVID ATT $ 36.67
COL022859 BLR : CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THI $ 15.20
FXD041427 BLR : COURAGE UNDER FIRE $ 8.87
FXD054571 BLR : ROMANCING THE STONE $ 10.18
NVG212130 BLR : DR HORRIBLEÆS SING-ALONG BL $ 9.28
PRD007493 BLR : WAR OF THE WORLDS $ 17.15
WBD092338 BLR : CONTACT $ 11.43
Old 06-18-10, 12:23 PM

Alrighty I think this is everything I will be ordering this time around.

Terminator Salvation [Blu-ray] $6.25
Trick 'r Treat [Blu-ray] $7.62
Hunter X Hunter, Vol. 4 [3 Discs] $25.07
Ouran High School Host Club [3 Discs] [Blu-ray] $35.69
Old 06-18-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Havent seen any titles I am interested in with any spectacular pricing at this sale yet.
Old 06-18-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobSolo
BLR : CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THI $ 15.20
This is currently $13.49 from Amazon.
Old 06-18-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Class of Nuke 'em High currently rings up as $10.18. Best price I've seen.
Old 06-18-10, 08:48 PM

Count me in the crowd who used to spend a lot during these sales but hasn't been able to find any real deals the last couple years.

So I was surprised when I placed an order after finding a couple titles that were actually a fair amount cheaper than Amazon:

DVD : TENTH DISTRICT COURT $8.99
BLR : MEGA SHARK VS GIANT OCTOPUS $6.12 (Backorder)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.