DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Drag Me to Hell $3.99 @ Frys! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/573863-drag-me-hell-%243-99-%40-frys.html)

MonsterMan 05-16-10 05:09 PM

Drag Me to Hell $3.99 @ Frys!

http://www.frys.com/product/6024708?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Just ordered this w/ in-store pick up. Great film! AMAZING price!

NoirFan 05-16-10 05:29 PM

Re: Drag Me to Hell $3.99 @ Frys!

Too bad they won't ship it.

glassdragon 05-16-10 05:47 PM

I just paid 12 for this. Too bad I was too late to get it shipped :(

SethDLH 05-16-10 05:56 PM

no shipping = :(

Murmur 05-16-10 06:18 PM

Thanks OP! Been wanting to get this at a good price, and damn, this is a good price. Too bad I couldn't get it when I was over there last week for my pickup of some of the $7.99 movies.

Trevor 05-17-10 07:09 AM

When is Fry's going to get off their butts and expand to the east?

joltman 05-17-10 08:03 AM

+1 grumble about no shipping/no frys on the east coast

StephenX 05-17-10 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10162285)

We have a couple in the Atlanta area.

The Monkees 05-17-10 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10162285)

How about expand period? They have ONE in Illinois, ONE! I'm very fortunate that it's somewhat near to my house, but it's still a 45 minute drive to get there, so I only go occasionally. But I really wish they would expand to the whole US and just opening more stores, but I guess it's not a good idea now what with the economy the way it is.

Trevor 05-17-10 01:53 PM

My pipe dream is that they take over all the old (and still mostly empty) Circuit City locations.

MrSmearkase 05-17-10 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10162939)
My pipe dream is that they take over all the old (and still mostly empty) Circuit City locations.

Ultimate Electronics is slowly doing that. They moved into a Circuit City not too far from me, and plan to open 2 more in MA, and one more in NH within the year.

Trevor 05-17-10 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10163027)
Ultimate Electronics is slowly doing that. They moved into a Circuit City not too far from me, and plan to open 2 more in MA, and one more in NH within the year.

Even though I've never heard of that chain, I am officially happier now than before I read your post. Thank you for bringing the happy.

kenbenobi 05-17-10 03:36 PM

Although that would be nice, Circuit City stores are much smaller than Fry's. I don't think Fry's would be interested in opening a store that small...

Cubicle Morlock 05-17-10 05:33 PM

Careful what you wish for. Living in an area with several Frys stores myself, its not such a great boon.

First, their selection is no where near as impressive as it was years ago. Nor are the prices as good. Used to be you hit Frys on a Tuesday release, and the new major titles and box sets were all discount priced - and those fringe titles you figured you'd normally have to hit Amazon for, there would often be a couple copies in stock. Sometimes you'd even score that niche title at a release day discount price. Now, hitting that obscure title on release day is no more likely than at Best Buy. And getting a release day sale price on major titles is a coin toss at best - where once you could just walk in every Tuesday without needing to check the ad to know there'd be a sale, now it's folly to not check first. Even when on sale, what once was likely the best price in town is now something Wally World pretty much smokes them on every time. Baring their painful and time consuming "call every store and check if its actually in stock before cutting the deal" price match policy.

Worse, sometimes it's tough getting them to acknowledge their own price. Ad may say one thing, but if the sale price tag isn't on the shelf don't make the mistake of assuming the price will match the ad. Even if the tag is on the shelf, don't assume the item will actually ring up at that price. And no "we made a mistake", just universal ignorance of the price and an absolute glacial process of employee-drone chain consultations (ad and item and sale price tags all checked and cross checked) before figuring out what to do.

And while Frys was always known for absolute crap service, things have only gone down hill since those "good ol days". I'd long ago concluded that buying at Frys was a matter of walking in, hunting down myself what I was after, buying it and leaving with as little attempted interaction as possible. But now finding what you're after often amounts to playing "guess what the shelf stocker was smoking this week". Looking from section to section trying to figure out where that classic 50s sci-fi film was placed (check under action), or that cloak and dagger cold war spy drama (check comedy), or that bug eyed monster film (check drama). And yes, those are actual examples I've seen.

Then there is the well known issue of Frys reshrink wrapping customer returns (sometimes obviously used and even missing components) and selling them as new.

Once you've managed to find your item in category dislexia land, and managed to get the price you expected, good luck making sure all goes well at check out until after you've already paid and can see the reciept. Because they changed their cash register system a couple years back, to something that when everything is rung up the only thing displayed to the customer is the price of the last item in the purchase. Only the cashier sees the amount of the total purchase. Said cashier often speaking with an accent so thick you can almost paraglide on it. So having any hope in hell of knowing what they're saying so you can hand over exact change turns into just handing over an extra bill in frustration and accepting more coins in pocket rather than looking around for the Rosetta stone. Not that their system *can't* display the final total to the customer - just that the sales staff has not been told to hit the right button on their register to display it (and it literally is just one simple button press). Any attempt to ask them to push that button yields a confused "don't know how to do that" look, and bringing a manager into the mix gets the button quickly pressed but a condescending "why did you need to see the total, just pay" attitude. And while this may seem like a minor nit, remember that bit before about getting the price right? Now identifying when the price didn't ring up correctly, or something was double rung, has to wait until you've already paid the suspect total - and assumes you remember to check the reciept in time to do anything about it. And in my experience it feels like the frequency of such "mistakes" took a spike coincidentally at the same time the new system was put in. Almost like they don't want you to know what you've shelled out, until you're long out the door and left deciding whether its worth going back to fix it.

Here's an amusing story about one of my last DVD purchase attempts at Frys. Found a floater copy of a new release of a semi-obscure horror flick. Only copy in stock, of course. I carefully take it up to the nearest sales floor drone, and mention the disk is loose but I'd like to buy it *if* it is unscuffed. Sales drone takes the case, shakes it several times like a bartender making James Bond a martini, and says "yep, its loose". Drone then proceeds to walk over to his supervisor's booth, explains the disk is loose and I'd like to check the condition before buying it. I add the necesarry "and not risk any further chance of it getting scratched". Supervisor then decides the loose disk situation needs his expert confirmation, by finding out if he can get a tamborine sound out of a DVD case and a loose disk. As he slowly comes to comprehend my request to open the case and check for any disk damage, his "assistant", apparantly unfamiliar with the novelty sound of a rattling disk, decides to give it a few final curiosity satisfying shakes. At which point the supervisor opens the DVD case, reveals a disk that now looks like it's been dragged behind a taxi cab after its airport pick-up shift, and asks if it looks OK to me. With a sigh, I said "no, thanks anyway", and headed home to once again give Amazon more of my money instead.

When the topic of Frys is mentioned, I too now think "Drag me to Hell".

Trevor 05-17-10 05:44 PM

Good info CM, but having a Fry's near me would be a HUGE boon even if I never set foot inside of one.

JoeySeven 05-17-10 05:57 PM

Sorry, but no products were found.

I think I'm a day late and A dollar short,thanks anyway OP for the thread.:-))

blamofilms 05-17-10 06:01 PM

Snagged a copy this morning. Thanks OP!

JckRbbitSlim 05-17-10 06:02 PM

Cubicle Morlock, that story is hilarious. Sounds pretty much like every trip to Best Buy for me....which is why my outcome is always identical to what you ended up doing.

dsa_shea 05-17-10 08:59 PM

Just to be able to match some of their prices at Best Buy would be worth it to me. However, you could get lost in the Fryes right outside of Houston on the way to Galveston. It is insanely grande.

Jason 05-17-10 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10163120)
Even though I've never heard of that chain, I am officially happier now than before I read your post. Thank you for bringing the happy.

Apparantly you didn't look at their site. They look like a low-rent best buy, and they're only in a handful of western states.

I want a Frys more for actual computer parts and whatnot than for cheap media.

Manzana 05-17-10 10:12 PM

Yesterday I ordered this for in-store pickup and got the confirmation email this morning saying I have until Wednesday night to pick it up. Well, I thought no problem because Monday morning I had planned to go there to buy a CPU/mobo combo, but surprise surprise Fry's was out of stock and says they don't show any on order before the ad expires this Thursday. So now I have to decide... is it worth wasting almost an hour and over $5 in gas to pick up a $3.99 BD of a movie I've never seen?

Sadly I'm leaning towards an answer of no, so unless something worth going for materializes in their Wednesday ad, I guess I'll let my Drag Me to Hell BD order expire. Sadly as it's not in their published ads, I can't pricematch it anywhere. If I were ever to give Fry's Electronics a motto or a tagline, it would be "out of stock"... the words that come from their employees' lips to me more than any others.

hindolio 05-17-10 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cubicle Morlock (Post 10163415)
Careful what you wish for. Living in an area with several Frys stores myself, its not such a great boon...

of course having a frys near has some advantages, but i mostly concur :D

Murmur 05-18-10 06:11 AM

Deal is dead now, and back up to $9.49 - which isn't too shabby a deal anyway. BB is over $16 and Amazon over $18.

DVD Polizei 05-18-10 10:02 AM

Cubicle Morlock! :up: :lol:

Quezacotl02 05-18-10 07:21 PM

Gaww, tried to PM to best buy on the first day. Sales clerk rolled her eyes when she had to go back and call to check Frys' stock. Took about fifteen minutes for her to tell me she had been on hold, not reaching anyone. and that the Fry's online store inventory was no way to check, because BB has an awful system. She said the savings were too great, it would have been quite a hit. Yes, selling it at $29.99 regular price is truly a great deal otherwise. No go for me.