DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/573822-some-4-88-blu-rays-sams-club.html)

BuckNaked2k 05-20-10 07:44 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
Boy I tell ya, it must be nice to be getting into Blu-ray right about now. There certainly weren't any deals like this back when us early adopters started buying into the format....

b2net 05-20-10 08:11 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 

Originally Posted by glassdragon (Post 10168465)
Point is, if you don't see any, nicely ask a manager to let you look through the blu case, you may find some of these titles they never put out.

Every time I try that I get the Canned line

"Everything we have is out"... same as I used to get at Big Lots......

glassdragon 05-20-10 08:29 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
It appears there are more than we thought. I was searching the cage tonight and saw 3 that weren't there before on the same shelf so I tried them. Got Next, Face-Off, and Aeon Flux (rethinking this one) for 4.88 too. Meh, if I don't like any of them the local place gives 6 cash for blurays lol.

glassdragon 05-20-10 08:32 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 10169999)
Every time I try that I get the Canned line

"Everything we have is out"... same as I used to get at Big Lots......

Make sure you ask someone in the green vest thingy, at least at mine those are managers, and are usually pretty accommodating. I don't even ask a regular employee, I just go straight to them and ask very nicely if I can look at the ones in the cage very quickly as sometimes they don't have everything out. Both times I tried they let me do that.

WMAangel 05-20-10 09:15 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin (Post 10169957)
Is the Days of Thunder Blu worth it?

While I haven't seen it myself, take note that the DVD release was/is non-anamorphic, so even if it doesn't have the greatest high def visuals ever, at least it will fill a 16:9 screen now and not be completely windowboxed! :eek:

bigjim25 05-20-10 09:39 PM


Originally Posted by glassdragon (Post 10170019)
Got Next, Face-Off, and Aeon Flux (rethinking this one) for 4.88 too.

Damn, I have to go look for Face-Off & Aeon Flux now. Been meaning to upgrade Face-Off for awhile. Thanks for the heads up.

tommyp007 05-20-10 10:27 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin (Post 10169957)
Is the Days of Thunder Blu worth it?

it's a real upgrade from the dvd, and currently sells for $25 on Amazon!!!

glassdragon 05-21-10 02:42 AM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
updated the list with the new titles I found

Manzana 05-21-10 11:02 AM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
Correct me if I'm wrong... the key here is that all of these $4.88 BDs have SKU 310904. Yesterday I had my nearest Sam's Club look up that SKU and they found 3 stores with some inventory of that SKU. 2 about 15 miles away... 1 with 10 in stock and another with 14. Then there was 1 more about 25 miles away that had 25. Obviously I could call those stores and ask them which titles they have or if they just have multiple copies of 1 title. The bottomline was I thought about my time and the cost of gas and decided even if they had 1 of each title of these $4.88 BDs for which I already own the DVDs, I decided it wasn't worth it. I have to keep reminding myself the truth: "BD looks much better than DVD, but not THAT much better on a good upconverting player to justify rebuying them all, especially at prices over $5". Had all these BDs been at my local store, I'm sure I would've scooped up 1 of each.

DirkBelig 05-21-10 04:43 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
Funny. I've already got Mission Impossible, Mission Impossible 2, Tomb Raider, Face Off, Next, and Aeon Flux on HD DVD from when Hollywood Video dumped the format a couple years ago. Paid (w/tax) about $8 each.

glassdragon 05-21-10 04:58 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 

Originally Posted by DirkBelig (Post 10171448)
Funny. I've already got Mission Impossible, Mission Impossible 2, Tomb Raider, Face Off, Next, and Aeon Flux on HD DVD from when Hollywood Video dumped the format a couple years ago. Paid (w/tax) about $8 each.

Well at least you don't technically have to upgrade as HD is pretty much the exact same

b2net 05-22-10 09:44 AM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 

Originally Posted by glassdragon (Post 10170023)
Make sure you ask someone in the green vest thingy, at least at mine those are managers, and are usually pretty accommodating. I don't even ask a regular employee, I just go straight to them and ask very nicely if I can look at the ones in the cage very quickly as sometimes they don't have everything out. Both times I tried they let me do that.

Unfortunate... but that is who I asked... :(

b2net 05-22-10 10:41 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10170824)
all of these $4.88 BDs have SKU 310904.

I went back to my local SAMs and asked that they do a stock check on that number. They told that number doesn't exist. :( .... I bet it was because they didn't put the preceding 0's (00000310904) grrrrrrr!

glassdragon 05-23-10 03:09 AM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
He is indeed correct. I checked the pricing sticker on all of them and they are all 310904

Seems to me like instead of having a separate sku for everything, sams sku's are by price. I was not aware of that. All the 9.88 movies had the same, same for the 8.88 ones. That is good to know, if we ever find someone here who works at sams they can actually list all the movies at that price point from their system.

lordzeppelin 05-23-10 10:28 AM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
Nothing at 3 Pittsburgh, PA Area Sam's. My thirst for some Mello Yello in the form of Days of Thunder shall go unquenched.

StephenX 05-23-10 10:35 AM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
Went by the Sam's Club at the Mall of Georgia in Atlanta yesterday, all titles in the OP were there, as well as Mission Impossible: III. They were all stickered at 8.88.

Got Mission Impossible and MI:III. Took them up to the register, both rang up at 4.88.

So MI:III should be at the lower price as well. May want to add it to the OP.


Thanks again, OP, and for those who suggested they were ringing up lower. Also, all of the titles for 4.88 had black marker covering up their UPCs on the back as well.

bigjim25 05-23-10 11:16 AM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
I got an extra Days of Thunder incase anyone has an extra Face Off or Tomb Raider or any blu-ray to trade.
So far I have found 6: these 2 on my own Patriot Games & Clear and Present Danger and thanks to OP for heads up on these: Mission Impossible, Mission Impossible 2, Days of Thunder, and Failure to Launch

glassdragon 05-23-10 01:53 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 

Originally Posted by StephenX (Post 10173514)
Went by the Sam's Club at the Mall of Georgia in Atlanta yesterday, all titles in the OP were there, as well as Mission Impossible: III. They were all stickered at 8.88.

Got Mission Impossible and MI:III. Took them up to the register, both rang up at 4.88.

So MI:III should be at the lower price as well. May want to add it to the OP.


Thanks again, OP, and for those who suggested they were ringing up lower. Also, all of the titles for 4.88 had black marker covering up their UPCs on the back as well.

Awesome, added it to the oP too, i wish i could find that one lol.

darkhawk 05-23-10 09:25 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
Hoping to find The Hunt for Red October

hondo21 05-23-10 11:20 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
I got M:I 3 yesterday. It was stickered $4.88 at my Sam's Club. Stickers are pretty random. Some $4.88 and some $8.88 on the same packages. I guess they get tired of repricing them and stop part way through.

glassdragon 05-24-10 01:18 AM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
I only need MI 3 to make the full set. That sucks that no sams around here has that one in particular.

i'm sure I can pick up a copy of one of the others that I have gotten for someone if they can pick me up an MI 3. Media mail should only be like a buck fifty to ship, still only like 6.50 a piece if anyone wants to do that.

The ones I recall seeing multiple copies of were

Failure to Launch
Disturbia
Clear and Present Danger
Patriot Games
Days of Thunder
Face-Off, maybe I can't remember
Next

I can try to get those if they are still there, if you do want to trade then pick it up and tell me 1-3 you want and i will go down the list from 1 to 3 in that order and get whichever i can find.

JckRbbitSlim 05-24-10 10:32 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
Turns out my Sams was a little late on the draw and while the Blu Rays listed above were all marked $9.88, there is a code on the back on top of the UPC that they just put on. Perhaps they forgot the first time I checked? Suffice to say, now I'm looking for the third one for ten bucks, whenever that happens.

k_lodge 05-25-10 06:10 AM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 
Has anyone found these in the Orlando area? I have been to Colonial (SR50) and John Young Parkway locations and could not find them

darkhawk 05-25-10 02:48 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 

Originally Posted by k_lodge (Post 10177441)
Has anyone found these in the Orlando area? I have been to Colonial (SR50) and John Young Parkway locations and could not find them

I've been to the E50 and Goldenrod. As well as the E436 in Casselberry. They both had some. The price tags show $9.64 but ring up $4.88.

k_lodge 05-25-10 06:23 PM

Re: Some 4.88 Blu-rays at Sams club
 

Originally Posted by darkhawk (Post 10178387)
I've been to the E50 and Goldenrod. As well as the E436 in Casselberry. They both had some. The price tags show $9.64 but ring up $4.88.

Thanks - -I will have to check out the Goldenrod store later this week.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.